Living in Sin: To the Dogs

by Rachel on May 20, 2011

Eric and I have been waiting for three months to welcome our new puppies home and the big day is almost here. I could not be more excited (although I’ll admit that after all the puppy books I’ve been reading, I’m now totally nervous that I’m going to do something wrong and scar them for life).

Anyway, tomorrow we’re getting up bright and early to begin the eight hour round-trip road trip to pick them up!

So, to answer the big question, those are their names!

Eric and I have been discussing hypothetical dog names since back in October, even though we had no idea when this fictional dog would come into our lives or what kind of dog it might be. We hadn’t felt too strongly about any of the names that had come up in these discussions, although we were really liking the idea of bringing back an old classic and going with “Bingo.”

Then, right around the time we decided to get a toy fox terrier, we were watching the third movie in the Indiana Jones trilogy. At the end of the movie, someone asks Indiana how he gets his name and Sean Connery quips, “We named the dog Indiana.”

I turned to Eric and said, “Hmm…good dog name?”

And so that was that. It just totally clicked for both of us!

When we decided to get the second dog, we had to pick a second name. What would go well with Indiana without being too matchy-matchy? (My first thought was “Junior” and, oddly enough, when I told my mom we were getting a second dog she said, “Are you going to name him Junior?”) We wanted their names to sound nice together, but not really dumb on their own. (Like, how is it going to be a good idea to have a dog named “Tennille” when you’re taking her for a walk without “The Captain”??)

We thought about doing a short name since Indiana is long, and went through a long list of childhood movie/TV characters and their dogs. Somehow, we ended up at “Home Alone,” and Eric said, “What was the older brother’s name?”

And I said, “Buzz! Buzz…your girlfriend…WOOF!”

We laughed for like 20 minutes straight about that line (and still do), and that name made our top list. The other top contender was “Sponge” from the nerd on “Salute Your Shorts.”

We figured we’d wait and see what their personalities were like…we liked Buzz if the dog turned out to be the kind of dog that would never stop chasing his own tail and Sponge if he was the shy type.

The name Charlie — to be nicknamed “Chuck” — came up a few times, but I vetoed it because Charlie Sheen was all over the news in all his misogynistic, trainwreck glory. I didn’t want anyone to think we named our dog after him.

So then, the week before we went on vacation, I proposed Charleston instead. Same idea, better association. And we could still call him “Chuck.”

And now the names are loosely connected, as they are both US destinations, but it’s not like they rhyme or something.

Because we aren’t Those People.

1 Lara (Thinspired) May 20, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Congrats! I love the names! Puppy life will keep you busy (especially with two!), but it is so rewarding :) Can’t wait to see pics!

2 [SMASH] at Sweat. Style. Swoon. May 20, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Great names! :) Very fun yet still sophisticated. BF wants to name our future pups silly things (Waffles, Tugboat, Gouda).

3 Rachel May 20, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Ahhh but “Tug” would be an adorable nickname for him!!

And you can call him “Awful Waffle” when he’s being bad…(clearly, I have a love affair with “Salute Your Shorts”…)

4 Chrissy (The New Me) May 20, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Those are great names! We named our first out-of-wedlock dog Seamus, after my favorite poet Seamus Heaney. We added a second dog a few years later and it took us FOREVER to agree on a name. After a long battle and nearly two weeks of calling him “Puppy” we finally settled on Calvin. And since he ended up being the worst puppy ever (seriously… it was bad) it suited him perfectly. Thankfully, he has now passed the one year mark and seems to be past the worst of it. :)

5 Jessica May 20, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I was voting for Houston! Hahaha, not really. My kids are Georgia and Houston, and no, they aren’t furry. Just met another mom of a Scarlett and Aspen. It’s all in location I guess? Cute names!

6 Rachel May 20, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I love the name Georgia!

7 Liz May 20, 2011 at 5:36 pm

My dog is named Bella and I am constantly asked if I named her after Twilight, ugh! I named her Bella because she’s beautiful. :(

Good dog training resource to check out: NILIF

It is super positive and much better at creating a healthy relationship between you and your dog(s) than something like Cesar Millan (don’t get me started on him).

8 Dani B May 20, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Great names girlie! I hope you guys will be so happy with your new lili <3 s… Yea for puppies!! My dog Beauregaurd is my co-pilot in life so obviously I am a dog nut. 2 small tips.
1. Buy a bell that can hang over your door.. (like a christmas bell or a cow bell) whenever you take the boys to go potty set them by the door and make them hit it with their paw or nose.. they will learn that very very fast to go to the BR. Beau learned it at 11 weeks (and he is so not a brain surgeon) That way your doors don't get scratched and you can hear it in another room.
2. Do not by that Bitter spray to spray on stuff.. 1/2 the dogs love it.. instead if they end up being cord chewers, try this. Get your hands wet, grab a bar of soap, and run the cord through your hands. It coats the cord, is invisibile, tastes horrible, and is something you already own.
Good luck, have fun!

9 Rachel's Mom May 20, 2011 at 6:07 pm

I saw a set of dog bells for the door at Target (or Walmart). I know people train their dogs with the bells, but I didn’t think they’d work for your dogs, since they are so short. I wasn’t sure how they would ever reach them.

10 Dani B May 20, 2011 at 6:49 pm

my dog was very vertically challenged… I just used a set of christmas bells that hung off the door knob and down.. now he uses a cow bell on a rope that is hung by the door.. because ever problem is solved with “more cow bell” :)

11 Rachel May 21, 2011 at 10:54 am

Ours too! We have a mini dachshund and a chihuahua-dachshund mix (yes, a chiweenie) and the dachshund is really great about ringing his bell to go out! We have four smallish sleigh bells tied to a string off the doorknob, hanging just at his nose height. Works great!

On a side note, we’re doing the “similar but hopefully not in a weird way” dog names too–Pepper and Olive! Makes me want pizza…

12 Allison @ Happy Tales May 20, 2011 at 11:16 pm

We potty-trained our dog, Happy, with a bell on the door, too! She picked it up VERY quickly (as in..within three days) and people are just AMAZED whenever they come over and see her ringing the bell to go outside, it’s pretty funny! Great tip on the barsoap :)

13 Rachel's Mom May 20, 2011 at 6:04 pm

I still think you should have named them Jack and Ted. (Kennedy) LOL!

14 Liz May 20, 2011 at 6:18 pm

The Democrat in me likes this.

15 CuriousBelle May 21, 2011 at 8:12 pm

I have every intention of one day owning dogs named Jack and Bobby.

16 shelly May 22, 2011 at 8:52 am

Cute! We adopted our first (out of wedlock) pup and he became Marlin. My (now) husband says it’s after the rifle brand, but we’re from Florida and now live everywhere thanks to the military, so I think it’s a good nod to our home state- like the fish or the baseball team. Our new pup is Scout, because I like classic dog names!

17 Natalie May 22, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Love the names! Fabulous!

18 s May 24, 2011 at 11:13 am

coordinating names are important! we have a cat named Lucy, so we had another cat named Ethel & a dog we adopted was named Daisy but we changed it to (…you guessed it) Desi
Desi & Lucy fight a lot ;)

19 Rachel May 25, 2011 at 8:20 am

Buzz, your girlfriend, woof, will always be one of my most favorite quotes ever. and good choice of names!

20 Emily May 29, 2011 at 10:21 am

Aw, my family’s old toy poodle was named Tennille, though to my knowledge there was never a Captain in the picture. But she died when I was 5 or 6 so I don’t really know the story behind the name.

21 Paige June 11, 2011 at 3:46 pm

So cute! Can you tell me where you got their adorable collars? I have two boston terriers and I’ve been looking for collars like those!