Does a Body Good: She’s Got Eggs

by Rachel on May 23, 2011

Saturday night, after a long day of puppy-ing, I had an egg, ham, and cheese sandwich for my “Oh-I-guess-it’s-10 PM-I-should-eat-something” dinner.

This morning, whilst puppy-ing, Eric and I had a new take on my artichoke strata for breakfast. (I subbed in feta for the goat cheese and broccoli for the artichokes and it was bangin’!)

Yesterday at the grocery store, we bought our new standard — a pack of 2 and ½ dozen eggs. (Eighteen isn’t cutting it anymore. And we gave up on just a dozen a while ago.)

Clearly, there is a love affair with eggs going on around these parts.

And actually, we aren’t keeping hens busy just because eggs are cheap and full of protein.

It’s because they are full of fat.

You guys know I love all kinds of healthy fats, but a lot of people think healthy fats just come from nuts or avocados. Umm…those aren’t the only ones. You may have noticed lately that there are a lot of eggs on the shelves that are touting their healthy fats too. Turns out, eggs are a really good way to get essential fatty acids! When chickens are fed vegetarian, all-natural diets that have lots of fatty acids, they actually produce eggs with said fatty acids.

• Health — omega 3s reduce inflammation and in the body and reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke.
  • Happiness — omega 3s have been shown to ward of depression.
  • Hair and skin — omega 3s don’t just make you healthy…they make you look healthy, which is more than you can say for a lot of dietary additions. Shiny hair and soft skin are a definite added bonus to the whole maybe-you-won’t-have-of-a-heart-attack thing.

I like eggs as an alternative to fish, another common source of fatty acids, because, well, I like the taste better. I don’t really want to have tuna smothered in cheese atop an English muffin at 7 AM.

And I like the price better. The two and half dozen eggs that Eric and I buy each week costs like $5 — and will turn into several breakfasts, snacks, and dinners. And $5 is much cheaper than one good salmon fillet.

You can also eat eggs every day (sometimes twice a day!) without having to worry about getting sick, whereas eating fish raises concerns about mercury (you can really only eat it a couple times a week, lest you end up like poor Jeremy Piven) and many fish oil capsules (especially the more affordable ones) bring a bunch of nasty poisons along with the good stuff.

I’m partial to them sunny-side up, scrambled in a sandwich, folded into a tortilla, or hard boiled, but if you want to get fancy, let me help you!

And let’s not stop here! What’s your favorite way to eat eggs? Do share your recipes below!

1 Shannon Blogs May 23, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Love me some eggs. I eat them literally 3-4x a week bc they’re, like you said, easy and super cheap.

2 Dori May 23, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I LOVE eggs. Huge fan. The main reason I can never be vegan.

3 Megan (The Runner's Kitchen) May 23, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I just made a big veggie and gruyere frittata last night. I’m saving it for a potluck tomorrow, but if I were going to eat it solo, it would easily feed me for 3-4 meals. It was super easy to make and very healthy!

4 Sable May 23, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I love eggs :) I eat them every morning — 2 a day :) They’re tasty, quick to prep or pack in a bagged lunch, and chock full o’ protein!

5 Manon May 23, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Remember my bangover breakfast? http://wp.me/p15a5Z-6Q I think I’ve made about a bazillion versions of this……..never for the intended bangover purpose, but I’m working on it. I share your love for eggs!

6 Melissa May 23, 2011 at 3:30 pm

YAY for eggs! I love dippy eggs with a bagel or English muffin, or I like to make an egg patty from scrambled egg whites and ricotta and make it into a McMuffin with fresh basil and tomato! The best!

7 Lindsay May 23, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Eggs are the best! I love quiche.. there is a pretty awesome one I made for a bridal shower recently! It’s from Martha Stewart and it uses shredded potatoes for the crust.

8 Rachel May 23, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Share it! Share it! Share it!

9 Stephanie @ LoveLaughterLight May 23, 2011 at 11:11 pm

I have been eating eggs a lot, too. Like you said, they are a cheap and easy meal. My go-to egg preps are scrambled with either turkey sausage, real bacon, or Canadian bacon and a slice of cheddar on a toasted whole wheat English muffin or hard-boiled, either as a snack or in a salad.

10 Emily @ Relishments May 24, 2011 at 4:53 am

Love eggs! I completely agree with Dori’s comment about eggs keeping her from going vegan (well, that, and cheese). I’m a big frittata/quiche fan as well, though I’ve also got a pretty serious breakfast sandwich obsession.

11 Christa May 24, 2011 at 7:47 am

I know it may gross a few people out, but pretty much the only thing I agree with my grandmother on is how to eat eggs…scrambled with a couple dashes of Worchestsire sauce and some salsa or ketchup (yes, in the South ketchup is on pretty much EVERYTHING). That W sauce is just the salty kick they need. Why didnt I make breakfast this morning!!!???

12 Jackie @ Baking Charms May 24, 2011 at 8:08 am

i’m obsessed with the fitnessista’s egg puffs! i have one almost every morning :)

13 Nicki May 24, 2011 at 12:07 pm

My Mom is playing around with the Dukan Diet and she emailed me a recipe from it for an Oat Bran Galette. I made it last night as an after-dinner snack (I was out of ice cream!) and I loved it! To make: 2 T oat bran, 1 egg, 2 T Greek yogurt or cottage cheese scrambled together in a bowl, then cooked on a pan for a few minutes per side – it’s basically a protein-packed pancake! I added some vanilla extract for extra flavor and drizzled honey on top. The best part is it’s super healthy AND it kept me completely full until breakfast this morning!

Hooray cheap sources of healthy eat!

14 Alison May 24, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I’ve been throwing one down (hardboiled) every morning right before my workout…it doesn’t slosh around and still gives me a protien boost. I’ve also been known to carry them in my purse…”Alison do you have a pen? Nope, but I’ve got an egg!”….especially fun at bars.

15 Rachael May 27, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Ditto to Alison, I throw hardboiled ones in my purse all the time (in a baggie!). I buy them pre-hardboiled and peeled at TJ’s and then carry them in my purse (not for too long, I refrigerate after a bit if I’m not going to shove them down anytime soon) because they’re just a perfect easy protein and fat. Keeps you full and satisfied.