Living in Sin: The Little Additions

by Rachel on May 23, 2011

Picking up our toy fox terriers on Saturday made for quite a weekend!

Eric and I were both awake at 6 AM on Saturday so we started on our road trip a few hours ahead of schedule. Before we left, we vacuumed and made sure our place was as puppy-ready as it could be.

Normally I love a road trip with Eric but the drive to Mineral Wells, TX — in the grossest weather — seemed to take forever! I was anxious the entire time. But after five hours and 30 minutes on the road, we finally made it.

Once we arrived, our breeder Shelly set us up in the living room and brought the four puppies in to meet us so we could choose which ones we’d take home with us. We had an idea after watching the videos, but we wanted to get a better idea of their personalities first. We talked to Shelly about who was the alpha dog and who might be good candidates for agility training and competitions, all while sitting on the floor playing with them and observing how they interacted with others. We eventually chose these two.

Meet Indiana and Charleston! (Or, as I like to call them, “Hellfire” and “Brimstone” since their arrival coincided with the would-be end of the world.)

indiana shoe

Alias: The Alpha Male.

Likes: Sleeping in his crate, squeaky toys.

Dislikes: Going to the bathroom outside, his collar.

chuck tennis ball

Née: Charleston.

Likes: Keeping Indiana from sleeping, going to the bathroom outside.

Dislikes: His collar, being in his crate.

After we chose our dogs, we introduced them to their travel carrier and they stayed in there as we went through the paperwork. I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again — our breeder, Shelly, was awesome. She knows animals, she knows the breed, and she is extremely nice but has a no-BS style that I love. While we filled everything out, she gave us tons of advice on everything from pet insurance to food to keeping them safe. They love squeezing into small spaces and they love jumping, but they are really fragile, meaning there is a number of ways they could hurt themselves — safety is definitely our biggest concern.

Eventually, we finished the paperwork and Shelly sent us on our way! We strapped their carrier into the backseat and started the long drive back. Despite the hour of doom closing in on us, the drive was relatively uneventful. The dogs stayed perfectly quiet the entire time and, much to my delight, the world didn’t end (although, not going to lie, I couldn’t have picked a much better place to be if it had — the sun had come out, we were on nice country highways surrounded by lots of green and gold land, and I was with Eric and my puppies).

When we finally made it home, we got them started on their new routine right away — we got them outside to do their business, introduced them to the parts of their new home where we want them, fed them, played with them, and wore them out before crating them for the night. They barely even whimpered before settling down for the night.

Sunday morning, Eric woke me up at 6:30 to remind me that we need to set their routine, and that means getting up at the same time, even if it is a weekend. And so it began — took them outside, fed them, played with them, watched them play with each other, wore them out, crated them, etc. Over and over again. Most of the time we’re either playing with them or rushing them outside because we are suspicious about how they are sniffing around. During the hours we spent with them this weekend, we learned a lot more about them.

They are both really spirited and playful when they are in the mood, but they are definitely little snugglers…they love to get in the tiniest curves and nooks in your body when they lay with you. Indiana tuckers out much faster during playtime than Chuck does. He starts looking for the crate to go lay down…but Chuck wants to keep playing so he’ll go into the crate and try to convince Indiana to come back out. Indiana will reluctantly get up to play and before we know it, it’s full-out puppy playtime again. This goes on for a little while and then Indiana will try to sneak off again and take his nap…until Chuck comes back for more. This goes on and on until eventually Chuck wears himself out too and curls up next to one of us and chills out.

It was a pretty exhausting weekend but Eric and I both feel like they are off to a very good start. I definitely feel like a lot of things about our day-to-day lives are going to change, but I know we’re both OK with it because we’re so happy to have them.

1 Jessica May 23, 2011 at 9:29 am

so. freaking. adorable. Enjoy every puppy second, they grow up so fast! :)

2 EricaLS May 23, 2011 at 9:30 am

those are the most adorable dogs EVER

i am super jealous

3 Manon May 23, 2011 at 9:34 am

so. stinkin’. cute! Congrats on your new additions! :)

4 Dori May 23, 2011 at 9:35 am

Indiana’s face is making my heart melt. I am so excited and happy for you, and I can’t wait to hear more about your experience with them! Such sweet little baby boys!!!!

5 Brandi May 23, 2011 at 9:35 am

They are so cute! It makes me miss my dogs puppy stage. They are definitely a lot of work in the beginning but it’s so worth it.

6 Laura Georgina May 23, 2011 at 9:40 am

I am so excited for you new puppyness! They are so sweet–and being terriers, they are just waiting to unleash the crazy, from the look of them. Don’t worry too much about them being frail; they’re much rougher than they seem. My dog once sprained his foot jumping down the stairs and he STILL insisted on having running fits in the house, paw in splint.

7 Jackie @ Baking Charms May 23, 2011 at 9:45 am

SO CUTE! I really regret not getting two pomeranians… I think my pup would have been happier with a lil friend.

8 Jacki May 23, 2011 at 9:49 am

Oh, those sweet little puppy faces!! Too cute! Congratulations on your new babies! ;)

Little dogs are a riot. They are definitely more fragile than a big dog, but my Maltese is still pretty darn tough. They will most likely think they are farrrrr larger than they truly are.

9 Stephanie May 23, 2011 at 9:54 am

Oh I LOVE them! they’re adorable! I used to have one we called Digger…he loved to snuggle and actualy used to sleep under the covers next to me all nuzzled up next to my neck. At the time I had a giant back yard and he’d literally run at full speed for laps and laps…it was hilarious to watch! Enjoy them, they’re great little animals and will bring so much fun and joy to the house!

10 tish May 23, 2011 at 9:55 am

♥ them!!!

11 [SMASH] at Sweat. Style. Swoon. May 23, 2011 at 9:58 am

They are too cute! :] Glad to hear the breeder was so helpful and informative!

12 Debbie @ Live from La Quinta May 23, 2011 at 10:16 am

I can’t wait to see the videos (I’m sure you have them :-) I have a female toy fox terrier and they are the snuggliest dogs! She love to cuddle into a tiny ball as close as she can. She also loves to get under things, the covers, the cushions, the low hanging clothes in the closet. Toy fox terriers are just the best, most sweetest dogs!

13 Angela @ MyPinkyToes May 23, 2011 at 10:43 am

Oh my goodness, those puppies are TOO CUTE!

14 Martha Lilian May 23, 2011 at 10:58 am

Yaaaaaaaay! I absolutely love them and the names fit them perfectly. Having puppies is definitely hard work – especially two at the same time. You will have your hands full but it is going to be so worth it. They are absolutely adorable.

15 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat May 23, 2011 at 11:04 am

Those pups are incredibly adorable! Goodluck with parenthood!

16 Jordan May 23, 2011 at 11:51 am

Rachel, they’re beautiful! Ugh, reading about them makes me so upset that my boyfriend is allergic to every animal ever.

17 ashleigh May 23, 2011 at 1:57 pm

UM, your puppies are the CUTEST dogs ever!! I can’t wait to hear more puppy tales and see pictures of them! You two must be so happy!

18 Hannah May 23, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Aw, how cute! Well, it’s good that the world didn’t end because now you get to spend all this time with your new puppies!

19 MelissaNibbles May 23, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Very cute! Enjoy them!

20 Brittney May 24, 2011 at 10:04 am

Wow, I LOVE them! They look like they would be great pals for my mini doxie. So cute! Good luck with the training, routine definitely helps, and kudos to you for crating them at night! Ours sleeps with us in bed, because we caved after 10 minutes of whimpering and barking the first night! Also- we trained our dog to ring a jingle bell tied to the door knob when he wants to go out, by having him touch it with his nose each time we take him outside, so he associates it with going out. Works good!

21 Chelsei B May 24, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I have one piece of advice that changed my life – my dog rings a bell when he needs to go outside! I have a little bell hanging near my door and every time I took them outside I would ring the bell with their nose. After about a week they were ringing the bell all on their own when they need to go outside. It works out great when they are by the door and you are in another room, you may not see them sitting there waiting to be taken out but you will hear the bell.

Good luck!!