My Dirty Mouth

by Rachel on June 28, 2011

There is one thing I know for sure — a dentist will never try to talk me into pricey in-office whitening. They’ll actually refuse to do it.

From my new dentist, after my very aggressive cleaning this morning:

All those nice compliments almost make up for the fact that he then told me I need $1268 dollars in fillings (out of pocket, as I work at a start-up and don’t have dental insurance).

What can I say? I’ve always been partial to working on my outer beauty.

Crest Whitestrips and Listerine Whitening mouthwash FTW!

1 Christie June 28, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Oh man… that sucks. I owe about $500 in fillings and am pretty sure there is a root canal in my future as well. Also- no insurance. Fuck!!

Well…. good luck.

2 Marci June 28, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Where did you go in Houston? I had a terrible experience at a “trendy” dentist here and then I went to an old fashioned one. The younger dentists in cool looking offices are too aggressive in things that aren’t really problems right now. I can give you a better dentist.

3 FoodCents June 28, 2011 at 6:00 pm

I have to echo Marci’s words. Depending on what exactly you “need”, it really is a good idea to get a 2nd opinion. SOmetimes dentists can be shadier than used car salesmen ….

4 Rachel June 29, 2011 at 8:32 am

This actually was my second opinion! My first dentist said I had two cavities that needed to be filled, and the price seemed really high, so I came to this dentist, and now I have seven cavities that need to be filled. Who knows which number is actually correct anymore?!

5 Leah @ L4L June 28, 2011 at 6:06 pm

You do have a really nice smile! My husband went in for an appt a month or two back and came home with a $750 bill and we HAVE insurance. Dude needs a lot of work apparently. And it’s funny because he’s super good about brushing and flossing and I am TERRIBLE about it and went years without the dentist and had no issues at all. HA!

6 Ashley @fromashleywithlove.com June 28, 2011 at 6:22 pm

I’ve had so much dental work done because I have soft/sensitive teeth and I also grind mine at night. Get a few done at a time. It sucks because you’re like, it’s not bothering me? why do I have to pay for it? but you’ll thank yourself. I ignored a cavity and it ended up costing me an emergency root canal and a hole drilled down to my jaw bone which alone cost $1300. so sorry Rachel! But also, I am jealous of your teeth, so that matters some, right?! :)

7 Megan June 28, 2011 at 6:45 pm

I concur with the young dentist thing. About 5 years ago I went to a dentist after not going for about 5 years, and was told I had 8 cavities to the tune of over $2000. I got 4 of them filled, and decided my pocketbook couldn’t handle it anymore and crossed my fingers it wouldn’t get any worse.

Fast forward to this January when I went to the dentist through the insurance at my university. Not only did I have no cavities, but the dentist looked at my x-rays from 5 years prior and she, along with 3 other dentists at the office, could find NO cavities.

Yeah, I’d get a second opinion.

8 Rachel June 29, 2011 at 8:33 am

This actually was my second opinion…and apparently I have way more cavities than the first dentist found!

9 Mary @ stylefyles June 28, 2011 at 7:14 pm

I agree with all the 2nd opinion recommendations. I went to a dentist who told me I needed a deep cleaning and had multiple cavities. One, he said, was ALMOST (but not quite) root canal status (aka: don’t wait any longer to get this fixed!). I’m non-union, so I buy my own insurance, which means it’s crummy, which means…..it was going to cost me over $1500 worth out of pocket.

That’s a LOT of money for me and I got a weird vibe from the dentist, so I opted to get a second opinion. I picked up a copy of the SAME xrays from the original dentist, brought them to a new (highly recommended) dentist, and what do you know? My teeth are great! No cavities. No deep cleaning necessary.

Get a second opinion. And use yelp. There are a surprisingly low amount of dentist and doctor reviews here in Los Angeles, but the few reviews that do exist are mostly on point. If a business has lots of filtered reviews on yelp, that’s a red flag that the business is shady and they’re possibly asking friends to write up good reviews as favors.

10 Paige June 28, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Ugh, my dentist announced that I needed similar work done last year, and I was also insurance-less. If your dentist accepts Care Credit I highly recommend looking into it. It’s basically a credit card for health expenses but with no interest for the first 18 months (at which point you’d likely have it paid off). It totally saved me.

11 Tara June 28, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Um, your smile is amazing…no sympathy from me!!

Well, I do feel bad about the no insurance part, that counts for something, right?!? Because your teeth are WHITE, seriously, they’re the whitest thing about you!!

12 Savannah June 29, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I literally Lol’d at that!

13 Kat June 29, 2011 at 9:23 am

Just THINKING about going to the dentist makes me sweat. I know I’ve got something similar lurking in my future. Though I have insurance, it only covers 1/2.

Wish I could say that I have the white teeth problem! Whitening strips leave me SO sensitive.

14 Morgan @ Operation Hot Mama June 29, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Ugh I am sorry but I f-ing HATE the dentist with a passion!!! I have a ton of work that needs to be done and no funds to do it with…perhaps if I found a dentist that wasn’t a toolbag when I was growing up, I would have been more willing to go.

15 [SMASH] at Sweat. Style. Swoon. June 29, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Ouch. Hit up the Care Credit if you need to… that’s what I did when it was too early for dental insurance at my job when I started. And you DO have gorgeous, white teeth!

16 Jess June 30, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Have you considered going to a dental school? Their clinics offer great care from what I hear and at a much lower cost. Try this one: http://www.db.uth.tmc.edu/patient-care.

17 Summer July 4, 2011 at 11:55 am

Dental work SUCKS. It’s painful and expensive and unless you’re actively suffering, it’s tough to tell whether the dentist is raising a legit red flag or if he’s just blowing smoke up your ass with a “preventative measure.”

I’ve had two root canals now, yay. The first was because of a failed childhood filling. Pain on and off for years progressed to unbearable, shoot-me-now, mind-numbing agony. Second one came several years later, again it was a filling issue except that filling I’d had done maybe eight years prior and I specifically remember thinking how horribly sensitive that tooth was after the work was done. I even went back to the dentist’s office and told them that I thought they drilled too far down, naturally they dismissed my concerns and shooed me off. Sure enough, when I had to experience that horrid, suicide-sounds-awfully-tempting-right-now oral pain for the second time and was once again begging for a root canal, the new dentist confirmed my suspicions that the last office had screwed my shit up. Awesome.

Oh, and no dental insurance here either.

But hey, at least your teeth are super white! It’s high time for me to re-up my own Whitestrips routine.