Let Them Eat Cake

by Rachel on July 18, 2011

Inspired by their recent trip to Texas, my mom decided to throw Preston a Texas-themed family birthday party. After the cakes she made last year — the volcano cake and rainbow cake — she decided to keep it (semi) simple this year with a state of Texas cake.

Never one to settle for too simple, she bought the red and blue flecked cake mix that was everywhere right before the 4th of July.

She also made a Texas sheet cake (of course).

On Saturday, Eric and I went to a birthday party for a 2-year old, the son of one of Eric’s former coworkers.

It was a casual thing, and after socializing for a while and enjoying the delicious beef brisket and margaritas, ilooked like the kids were going to be playing games for a while before they did cake and presents. His coworker had said up front that we didn’t need to stay for the whole thing, so we decided to head out. On the way home, we wanted to stop for dessert, but the only thing that really sounded good was…birthday cake.

Totally awesome vs. rock bottom: stopping at the grocery store for a mini-cake and a carton of ice cream, even if you have nothing to celebrate?

I don’t even care! It was perfect!

1 Anna July 18, 2011 at 10:20 am

Totally awesome! I’ve been known to stop for a mini cake more than once. Cake needs no occasion.

2 Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 18, 2011 at 10:29 am

Oh definitely totally awesome! My old grocery store used to sell pieces of cake complete with fork, and I was a big fan of the yellow with strawberry filling and whipped cream icing…pretty much every time I went. :P

3 Eunice July 18, 2011 at 10:40 am

I’ve had a craving for a piece of carrot cake for weeks now. I think I’m going to be totally awesome and just buy a slice from the grocery store. So good!

4 Stephanie @ LoveLaughterLight July 18, 2011 at 11:13 am

There has been a lot of cake talk in my circle lately…and it makes me want some so badly!!!

5 [SMASH] at Sweat. Style. Swoon. July 18, 2011 at 11:21 am

Wow, that Texas cake looks great! :) For the love of all things infomercial, you need to buy the giant cupcake mold from Walgreens/CVS/BB&B to make — so fun!

6 Manon July 18, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Totally awesome. Because I’ve totally done it.

7 ashleigh July 18, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Totally awesome…. gotta eat what you crave!

8 Summer July 18, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Definitely totally awesome. Cake is amazing. Ice cream is amazing. Put them together and you have UBERMAZING.

9 Rachel July 18, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Freshman year of college my roommates and I made a midnight run to 24-hour grocery store in Oakland to get a birthday sheet cake to eat. It was no one’s birthday. That’s when I knew my roommates would prove to be lifelong friends.

10 Ashley July 18, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Obviously totally awesome! Some times girl just needs some CAKE

11 Nicole July 18, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Hey Rachel! Longtime reader, first time blog commenter. I can’t get over how awesome that cake looks. Major props to your mom.

(Why my first comment is in response to a post about cake, and not one of your many thought-provoking posts, I don’t know. I guess theme parties and going above and beyond are just my thing. On that note, I love your Halloween posts and the creativity you and your family put into costumes and decorations. I am one of those people who spends the majority of summer annoyed with the heat and dreaming of cooler fall days.)

12 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie July 18, 2011 at 8:24 pm

thats pretty much a standard sunday for me :)

13 Anna July 18, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Your mom is awesome. Aaaaand now I have a huge cake craving.

14 Lindsey July 19, 2011 at 7:42 am

Ummm maybe I used to go to Giant and buy entire 1/4 sheet cakes to keep in my freezer for cake cravings. One time the lady at the counter was looking at me funny, so I had her write “Happy Birthday Lindsey” on it so she wouldn’t know it was for just me. Then I paid for the cake with a credit card. With my name on it.

15 Miranda@eCarpet Cleaning Service July 19, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Totally awesome! The Texas patriotic cake looks very delicious! Your mom’s rock! :)

16 Melinda R. August 1, 2011 at 8:25 pm

OMG! Sounds so good! I’m pregnant and have been so nauseous all day every day but coming out of the first tri-mester, I am starting to remember what food tastes like…yes, it’s been a while! I’m craving a dairy queen strawberry cheesecake blizzard! Anyone want to join me? :-)

17 Jennifer August 22, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Hi, I difficult was it to make this Texas shaped cake? I want to something creative for my husband’s birthday this weekend. Can you send me the steps on how your mom made this? Thanks!!

18 Rachel August 23, 2011 at 8:31 am

Not difficult at all! She used a Texas-shaped cake pan like this one: http://www.teamtailgateshop.com/bvtexas001.html?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&cvsfa=2449&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=62767465786173303031. She got it from a Bed, Bath, and Beyond here in TX!