Rachel Getting Hungry: Tequila Lime Chicken

by Rachel on July 21, 2011

With summer in full swing, I’ve noticed a lot of recipes featuring lime zest as a main ingredient.

I hate zesting, so I tend to avoid these recipes. But when they go and add tequila to the mix, I can’t resist.

After I wrote about my zestaphobia, a lot of people left comments telling me to get a microplane zester. So when it came time to make the tequila lime chicken recipe from Cooking Light magazine, I finally listened.

My hatred of zesting comes from the intense fear that I’m going to grate off some part of my skin (as I’ve done before). Everyone swore that a microplane grater would solve my problem. I was excited to report back and tell everyone they were right, that the microplane grater changed my life and I was going to start sharing a lot more citrusy recipes.

I swiped the first lime twice on the grater…and on the third swipe, took a large chunk out of my thumbnail.

So…that was that.

Anyway, grab the tequila-glazed grilled chicken thigh recipe whether or not you have a microplane zester. They are sweet, spicy, perfectly sticky, and just so yummy.

Unlike the margarita ice cream sandwiches, these actually include the hard stuff.

Your thumbnail will grow back.

1 [SMASH] at Sweat. Style. Swoon. July 21, 2011 at 10:31 am

YUM. Completely hungry now. Sorry about your nail! Sounds worth it though.

2 Courtney July 21, 2011 at 10:33 am

Zesting is a pain – but so many good things come from it – this chicken looks delicious. Also, to make zesting easier, I recommend that you hold the item to be zested in one hand (fingers carefully tucked away!) and then actually move the microplane over the fruit – it gives you more control over the microplane and also helps ensure that you don’t zest hard enough to accidentally get some of the bitter pith of the fruit.

3 Rachel July 21, 2011 at 10:55 am

Ohhhh, that’s a really good tip! Thank you!

4 Melanie July 21, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I was just coming to say this – move the zester, not the lime!

5 Manon July 21, 2011 at 11:41 am

Oh, thank you for reminding me that I need to try that recipe! I slobbered over it when I first saw it in the mag, then completely forgot about it!

6 Missy Maintains July 21, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I did not even know what zesting really was until this post. Shows how much I cook. I would attempt it if tequila was involved though!

7 Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble July 21, 2011 at 4:12 pm

That chicken looks like the perfect summer grilling recipe! Yum. Plus if there’s tequila involved I’m definitely in. ;-)

8 Ashley July 21, 2011 at 4:29 pm

mmm looks yummmy! I have never zested anything before but maybe I will have to try this recipe!

9 Emily @ Relishments July 21, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Aw, I’m sorry you feel that way! I love my microplane and don’t mind zesting, especially since anything with zest in it tastes delicious. Hopefully zesting works out for you, because I’d love more recipes like this.

10 KyBizzle July 22, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Be gentle with your zester! Now is not the time to get all S&M. Move the zester and slow it the F down.