The Life: Food Truck Lovin

by Rachel on July 23, 2011

Have you done whole the food truck thing? I know it’s pretty trendy, but I haven’t had the opportunity to visit any food trucks yet.

Last night I lost my food truck virginity with a virtual food truck gang bang!

Friday morning, I got an e-mail about Food Truck Fridays, a Houston Food Crawl event held the last Friday of each month where you pay $30 and get tickets for liquor and food from a bunch of different food trucks.

I was so excited! Nothing like perfect weekend plans just showing up in your inbox, right!?

By the time we got there, though, I was in less of a good mood. The fastest way to make me upset is to be late — well, actually, it’s to not let me know you’re going to be late until…10 minutes after you’re already late. After waiting for Eric for a really long time with no phone call, I was not as excited when we finally made it.

Lucky for both of us, the sliders at the first truck cheered me up.

hitnrun foods

The mini burgers from Hit n’ Run Killer Street Food had Applewood smoked bacon, mozzarella cheese, thinly-sliced jalapenos, tomato, grilled onions, and chipotle mayo. They were so juicy and just…incredible. I could have just stayed at that truck the whole night and I would have been totally happy. I wish this truck was parked outside my office…or apartment…every day.

After the burgers, we got drinks from the juice truck.

Next we got in the longest line…

It’s no surprise the Zilla Street Eats line was so long — chicken and waffles have a way of making people line up. I got the chicken and waffles and it did not disappoint. I love sweet and savory combos!

Eric went for the mac and cheese — penne, gouda, green onions, and Cheetos.

He actually said it was probably the best mac and cheese he’s ever tasted. I have to agree — it was pretty spectacular.

Our last stop for food was the poke tacos.

They were good, but it was hard to go from the rich chicken and mac and cheese to the cool tacos that basically tasted like sushi. I think I would have liked them more if that had been the main event, but with the other foods, it was a weird mix.

Last we hit up the gelato truck for dessert.

With two strawberry cups in hand, we found a spot to sit in the shade to eat our dessert and dog-watch. The event was held at Boneyard Drinkery, a great dog-friendly bar and dog park in Houston. Eric and I were so bummed that our puppies won’t be fully vaccinated until this afternoon, so we had to leave them at home. We’ll definitely be taking them next month when we go back!

1 Dori July 23, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Delicious! I’d love to try that mac & cheese, minus the cheetos. I’ve tried a couple of food trucks here in NYC (they are often outside my office) but nothing spectacular yet. A friend of mine is about to open one though and I am SO excited for it.

2 MoneyMaus July 23, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I’m obsessed with food trucks and have been ever since I visited New York 5 years ago and was introduced to them. I know the LA ones are supposed to be amazing…the few I tried when I was living in San Diego were incredibly disappointing. Now that I’m living in NYC, I make a point to try one new food truck/cart a week! So far my favorites are Luke’s Lobster (omg lobster rolls!), Jamaican Dutchy, Wafels & Dinges, and Biryani (Kati rolls are amazing!) out of the probably 15+ I’ve tried. Next on my list is the Big Gay Ice Cream Truck! Glad your first time with food trucks went great :)

3 Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic July 23, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I love food trucks and I’ve been so happy that there are more and more popping up here in Boston. Those sliders sound fantastic!

4 Tenecia July 23, 2011 at 2:04 pm

My inner fat girl just started crying because we don’t have anything like that here in Tucson!

T.

5 Natalie S. July 23, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I loooove food trucks! In Austin we have tons of them, everywhere you go. But now I’m starting to discover the original little taco trucks that hang around construction sites. They’re much cheaper and authentic, plus super delicious. Yay food on wheels!

6 [SMASH] at Sweat. Style. Swoon. July 23, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Very cool. I don’t know that we get many food trucks here in Dallas but I’d love to try them sometime!

7 Phoebe July 24, 2011 at 2:47 pm

That mac and cheese looks to die for. I’m in Austin too, which is probably the food truck capital but we’ve only been to like two or three. It’s too hard for me to choose what to eat when confronted with many different trucks. I love that truck crawl idea.

8 Rachel July 24, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Food trucks are so fun… they are all over Boston too, you totally need to come up here for a visit!

9 Christina July 26, 2011 at 2:32 am

This is a random comment but I didn’t know where else to put it. I just saw on Amazon that Core Fusion is coming out with a new dvd of their cardio routine, it’s called Core Fusion Cardio- Pure Intensity and on Amazon it releases Aug 23rd – based on the one review so far it looks like the same routine from yogavibes as the Core Fusion Cardio class (the one with all the mountain climbers).

I’m happy because I was basically using yogavibes only for that class since it wasn’t on dvd before.

Wanted to let you know!

10 Christina July 26, 2011 at 2:38 am

Oh also looks like there is something else coming out on Sept 6 called Core Fusion Mix which is some type of 3 disc box set but I can’t figure out with dvd’s are included.

11 Lindsey July 26, 2011 at 9:12 am

I just found you, and I have to say, I absolutely LOVE your blog. On a related note to your actual post, we only have one food truck (that I know of) in Cincinnati, but you’ve convinced me to try it!