Rachel Getting Hungry: Chicken Kebabs with Creamy Pesto Dip

by Rachel on August 5, 2011

Last night, I got home from work just totally mentally exhausted. It was just a very creative day at work and I was wiped out. Instead of crashing on the couch, I decided to try to relax by cooking.

I got the chicken kebab recipe via Cooking Light’s iPad app. The ingredients are simple and there is pesto involved. That’s pretty much all you need to know.

I put on the  Stuff You Missed in History Class podcast and got to work. I was listening to the Lizzie Borden episode, which provided some nice background noise as I gave my chicken 40 whacks.

Coincidentally, yesterday was the anniversary of the famous murders. I wrote a paper about the trial during my senior year of college, but I had forgotten a lot of the details. That trial was totally the Casey Anthony trial of the 19th century!

Anyway…my version of the recipe!

Soak eight wooden skewers in water for about 45 minutes. Then cut 2 pounds of chicken into large chunks and put into a plastic zip-top bag; drizzle with olive oil and season with kosher salt and chicken seasoning. Let marinate in the fridge while you chop a red and yellow pepper and half an onion into wedges.

Combine 2 tsp grated lemon rind, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 2 tsp bottled minced garlic, and 2 tsp olive oil and toss with chopped peppers and onions and then add to the bag with the chicken. I let the whole mixture marinate since I had some time. (Oh and by the way, your tips about the microplane zester really helped with the zesting!)

When you’re ready, thread the vegetables and chicken onto skewers. Place skewers on grill and cook over medium-low heat for 12-15 minutes, or until chicken is done.

While the chicken is grilling, combine 2 tsp lemon juice, 4 tbsp plain yogurt (I used Greek), 4 tbsp sour cream, and 2 tbsp store-bought pesto.

I also had a loaf of Dassant beer bread in the oven, so I pulled that out…

And then it was time to eat!

The verdict?

The creamy pesto? Is the best sauce I’ve had in a long time! It’s so easy and I can’t wait to make it all the time for…everything! Seriously delicious.

The beer bread? Was awesome. Like…the kind of carbs you want to take a nap in. That was actually a free sample and I’m going to do a giveaway this month, so get excited.

The chicken? Perfection! Not dry at all, with a nice lemony zing to it.

This dinner was a huge win all around, and making it definitely helped me relax. (As did a hunk of that beer bread.)

1 Stephanie August 5, 2011 at 11:23 am

Everything looks so good!! Lizzie Borden…now THAT’s an interesting subject/trial!

2 Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy August 5, 2011 at 11:59 am

I have to make this. If all else fails I’ll just make the pesto sauce and dip… my fingers in it.

3 Ashley August 5, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I made your beer bread recipe last night! It is so simple I love it

4 Rachel August 5, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Wooot!

5 Mary @ stylefyles August 5, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Your kebobs look fantastic!!! But next time, make your own beer bread. Seriously, it’s the easiest thing in the world and you only use three ingredients…..beer, flour and baking powder (you can add other spices but those are all optional). Sooo much cheaper than buying it pre-made! Seriously, don’t pay $7 for a mixture of flour, baking powder and spices when you can do it yourself!

6 Rachel August 5, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Oh, I know…I have a go-to recipe I use ALL the time!

The mix was just something new to try! (And honestly, it was better than my recipe.)

7 Mary @ stylefyles August 8, 2011 at 11:16 am

ooo that broccoli cheddar soup looks fantastic too!

8 Manon August 5, 2011 at 12:49 pm

i kinda want to eat that pesto sauce…WITH MY FACE.

9 Rachel August 5, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Thanks for mentioning The Stuff You Missed in History Class. I’m a sucker for trivia and history-related stuff like that. One of the podcasts on your list (The White Rajahs of Sarawak) is on my ancestor James Brooke! It’s kind of embarrassing that I’m a direct descendant of an imperialist (my mom’s family considers him royalty, but lets be honest, he’s an imperialist). Still really cool to listen to a podcast about him! I also love that they hinted at the fact that he was a closet-case.

10 jenna k August 5, 2011 at 10:31 pm

that pesto sauce sounds SO good! i’ll definitely have to make an inside version of this on my grill pan.

and, this is totally random, but i’d love to see you do a post about your favorite iphone apps. i’m FINALLY about to move into the smartphone world in september with either an iphone 4 or 5, so i’d love to hear which apps i need to get :)

11 Rachel August 6, 2011 at 12:37 pm

mmmmmmmm must make soon.

12 [SMASH] at Sweat. Style. Swoon. August 6, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Pesto > All Other Sauces. I’ll have to try the creamy pesto sauce. So jealous you two have a grill!

13 Megan @ MegGoesNomNom August 6, 2011 at 8:52 pm

I actually just made these too! They were really great kebabs, and I also liked the creamy pesto sauce

14 Jessica Martin August 8, 2011 at 4:33 am

Those look so yummy! I love kebabs

15 Kali Ravel August 9, 2011 at 8:06 pm