26 Candles

by Rachel on August 8, 2011

Yesterday was my birthday!

The whole weekend was just so great! And it wasn’t “Oh, it’s my birthday so you have to give me attention” great or “Let’s do something really different and crazy because it’s my birthday” great. It was just a really typical weekend day filled with all of my favorite little normal things. Periodically, I’d remember my birthday, but for the most part, it just felt like the best version of a normal weekend.

On Friday night, Eric and I had a delicious dinner out at Fish City Grill and then we did some shopping at Target and Sephora. (So…pretty much a perfect shopping trip!) On Saturday I had to run some errands, but then I got a manicure/pedicure and spent Saturday night baking my cake, making sangria, and eating pizza with Eric.

On Sunday, my actual birthday, we just had fun all day!

Eric took me out to breakfast at Le Peep in Houston — since I love going out to breakfast more than going out to dinner! — and then we decided to walk off our omeletes and the Texas-sized cinnamon roll we shared by browsing the Galleria (take the biggest mall you can think of and put it on steroids), where we browsed, tried things on, but ultimately just ended up getting more treats.

After heading home and taking a much-needed nap, we made my pink frosting together.

This turned out perfectly (recipe and instructions to come!) and I was so excited to frost my cake and display it on my birthday gift to myself: a glass cake stand.

I have wanted one of these for ages and this layer cake totally necessitated it.

After my cake was fully frosted and the kitchen was sort of clean (“It looks like a clown had an orgasm in the sink” was Eric’s observation), we went to see “The Change-Up,” and then came home and put on 90s music and had burgers — topped with the bacon fucking jam that my friend Julia sent me as a gift! — and champagne, a dance party, and cake and ice cream!

It was such a wonderful weekend and a wonderful birthday — not too crazy or anything, just a good end to a whirlwind year — last year on my birthday, I was moving to Texas! — and a good beginning to the next one. And it doesn’t feel quite over because this week I have just three days of work and then I head to the Ozarks with Eric and his family as my birthday gift from him!

1 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat August 8, 2011 at 10:28 am

Happy belated! I’m 26 tomorrow, but celebrated yesterday as well. Your cake looks even more yummy than mine was! :)

2 Amy @ SGTC August 8, 2011 at 10:32 am

Happy birthday! My weekend was spent doing the same things!

3 [SMASH] at Sweat. Style. Swoon. August 8, 2011 at 10:57 am

I love this description: “best version of a normal weekend”. Glad you had a great birthday weekend!

4 Heather August 8, 2011 at 11:00 am

i love that your birthday was filled with such simple, but a tad bit extraordinary, pleasures. [i think the best pleasures are found in these nooks and corners of our lives!]

also, i’d like to give a “woot!” for the cake stand. just because, you know, that’s how i am. i am a cake stand woot-er.

xo

5 Manon August 8, 2011 at 11:06 am

Looks like a perfect birthday to me! So glad you had a great one! Oh to be 26 again…….. :)

6 Liz @ IHeartVegetables August 8, 2011 at 11:50 am

Oh my gosh, yesterday was MY birthday! That’s crazy! :) Happy Birthday!

7 Rachel August 8, 2011 at 11:53 am

Happy birthday to you too!!

8 Jackie @ That Deep Breath August 8, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Happy birthday!! I love that your birthday was filled with little happy moments that made it a big special day. My birthday is next Tuesday and I’ve been totally stressed out about what to do, but this helped me realize I don’t need to do anything big and crazy to enjoy my day. Beautiful cake!

9 ashleigh August 8, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Happy belated Birthday! Sounds like a fabulous weekend. Love the pink frosted cake :)

10 Devon August 8, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Happy Belated Birthday, Rachel! Loving the pink cake :)

11 Nic Dempsey August 8, 2011 at 1:59 pm

All the best people have birthdays in August! (mine was Saturday!). Sounds like you had a great weekend, which is always the best present, although I think the cake stand is a pretty close second!!

12 Alicia at Poise in Parma August 8, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Holy pink cake, Batman!! Eric’s comment about the sink is hilarious…

Looks like you had a wonderful birthday – here’s to many more!

13 Priscilla August 8, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Happy Birthday! Your cake looks delish! I love the Galleria, great way to work off your meal.

14 Ashley August 8, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Oh my GOD I love everything about your birthday and I can’t wait for the pink frosting instructions!!

15 Rachel August 8, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Happy birthday! I love that cake stand! Something about separate food containers–bread boxes, butter dishes–make me really happy inside. I think if I have a family, I’m going to invest in plate covers and lift them dramatically to present each dinner.

16 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn August 8, 2011 at 11:06 pm

WEEEE HAPPPY LATE BIRTHDAY!!! Mwah I want that cake / just kidding all I want is the frosting. :)

17 Melissa August 9, 2011 at 11:37 am

Happy belated birthday, doll! Sounds like a perfect weekend!

18 Savannah August 9, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Happy Birthday Rachel! Glad you had a wonderful time. And yes Target + Sephora = Perfect Shopping Trip!

19 Laura August 9, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Sounds like a great birthday weekend! I’ve been looking for a good sangria recipe for a while–I’d love to hear about yours!

Happy birthday!

20 Kat August 9, 2011 at 1:56 pm

A VERY happy birthday to you, my dear! And the cake stand is the hotness. Love!

21 Summer August 9, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Happy happy birthday, lady! And that’s so crazy you mention the bacon jam, because my friend just sent me this recipe: http://www.marthastewart.com/326881/slow-cooker-bacon-jam
Can’t wait to make it. Glad your day was special!

22 jenna k August 9, 2011 at 7:10 pm

i’m glad you had such an amazing birthday weekend! definitely excited for the frosting recipe… :)

23 Rachel August 10, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Happy belated Rachel – looks like the most perfect little weekend, glad you are so happy!

24 Pippa August 11, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Absolutely fantastic!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RACHEL – hope it just gets better and better from here!

25 Nicole August 16, 2011 at 11:18 am