Wet Wednesday

by Rachel on August 10, 2011

It’s Wednesday! Here’s what has me all tingly right now.

Bothered

1. No Franklin and Bash. Wednesday night is all about F & B at my place…or at least it was. The season ended last week and now we have to wait till next summer for it to come back! And don’t even get me started on the lack of “Mad Men”! Now we really do need someone to bring sexy back.

2. My hair. Oh my gosh, I’m having a bad hair month! The Houston humidity actually doesn’t affect it too much but it grew super fast this month, meaning I needed a relaxer after four weeks instead of my typical seven. I can’t afford to make a habit of getting it done monthly so I am just looking at other women with major hair envy and seriously considering wigs.

3. Pre-vacation shizz. The day before a vacation is always such a cluster — and that’s today for me! I think (hope!) last night was the worst of it though.

Hot

1. Birchbox. I’ve had a Birchbox membership for a while but it’s just kinda hitting me how much I love it. For $10 a month, you get a box each month delivered to you filled with premium makeup samples. I realized this morning that I haven’t been spending much time at Target and Sephora lately because Birchbox kinda satisfies my need to blow a lot of money on new products. That Nuxe body oil and Laura Gellar blush/bronzer are two of my current favorites.

2. Working out as a hobby. This topic has come up twice in conversations I have had this week. Instead of thinking of working out as something you have to do, what if it was something you inadvertently did because it was part of your hobby? Think about when you played sports as a kid. You didn’t think of going to practice for 3 hours as “working out.” You did it because it was part of something else you liked and involved seeing your friends. I really think finding that as an adult is possible! I’m going to write a full lesson on it soon, because I think it deserves further attention.

3. Yoga. Speaking of working out as a hobby, I decided to get a new hobby this week! Not going to bullshit you, this had a lot to do with my trip I’m committing to a one-month unlimited membership because spending money up front is a good way to make sure I stick with something. I went to my first class last night — a 75-minute core and cardio class that was a good way for me to start since it reminded me a little bit of Define/Core Fusion. Then I woke up in the middle of the night and literally couldn’t move; my abs were so sore, I couldn’t use them to roll over! But despite the fact that my obliques are telling me to go to hell with every breath I take this morning, I liked the studio, the instructor, and the class a lot and I’m excited to try out the different classes over the course of the next month.

What’s turning you on (or off) this Wednesday??

1 Ashley August 10, 2011 at 9:35 am

Turning me on: petsmart, aka buying a billion new puppy toys in anticipation of picking up my lil guy on Friday!

2 Rachel August 10, 2011 at 9:38 am

WOOOOOT! What kind?!

3 [SMASH] at Sweat. Style. Swoon. August 10, 2011 at 9:38 am

I’m hearing great things about BirchBox. I may need to take the plunge soon. Have you told us where you’re going on vacation? I can’t recall… not that it’s any of our business anyway! :P

4 Rachael August 10, 2011 at 9:52 am

Ash, I can’t believe you haven’t checked out Birchbox yet! Get on it woman!

5 Rachel August 10, 2011 at 10:21 am

Yes, the Ozarks! Just found out last week, it was my birthday gift from Eric!

And YEAH, you need to get on the Birchbox train!

6 Liz @ IHeartVegetables August 10, 2011 at 9:46 am

Ugh the Virginia humidity is TOTALLY messing with my hair! No good. I straighten it and after a few hours, it’s a frizzy mess. Not cool!

7 Alli August 10, 2011 at 9:48 am

Ahhhhhhhhhh Birchbox = MIND BLOWN. I just signed up!

8 Rachael August 10, 2011 at 9:51 am

I’ve been on the Birchbox wagon about month less than you. I say this for sure because you’re the one who first peeked my interest in it a year ago when you mentioned they asked you to do a video or something for them, I can’t fully remember the details. I googled them, read their intro page and never looked back. I’ve gotten a box a month from that day forward. And I must say, my inner new-product-junkie is almost fully satisfied. For awhile I was getting a moisturizer sample once a month of some sort, leading me not need new buy a new moisturizer … ever.
I love that laura geller bronzer as well, along with a little tube of Ahava clay purifying mask that saves my face constantly!
I know what you mean about the lack of good programming all the sudden. Right about now the only thing I look forward to is Weeds … I need some more television to look forward to (I can’t believe I just typed that.)

9 Liz August 10, 2011 at 10:03 am

Turning me ON: the pork roast and red potatoes in my crockpot right now and the audiobook I’m listening to (The Passage by Justin Cronin)

Turning me OFF: Not having had sex in almost 8 months despite being in a relationship and work stress manifesting itself in my back/shoulders

10 erin August 10, 2011 at 10:17 am

omgod i am livid about the whole franklin and bash not returning til next summer. I mean REALLY?!?!?!?

uh i just might try birchbox.

11 Diane August 10, 2011 at 10:18 am

OMG. I NEED Birchbox in my life! I don’t know how I missed that the first time around. Like you said, I bet it’ll keep me from wasting time/money trying new products.

Hot: I made the commitment to go back to therapy after procrastinating for over a year. (I loved my original therapist, but I moved from Illinois to DC so we had to part ways.) It’s been over a month since I started going again, and I’m really glad I finally got my shit together and am working on my emotional baggage.

Bothered: My therapist’s office is less than a block from Haagen-Daz, Ben & Jerry’s, and Sephora. Not leaving each week with ice cream in one hand and mascara in the other is harder than talking about my fucked up family.

12 Rachel August 10, 2011 at 11:24 am

HAAAA….well said.

13 Robyn August 10, 2011 at 2:15 pm

OMG!!! What a GENIUS idea! I have got to check out Birch Box… Probably could have saved myself hundreds of dollars in, “Hmm… no, that’s really not my color/style/whatever at ALL!” over the years… Amazing.

14 jenna k August 10, 2011 at 2:51 pm

i keep hearing about franklin and bash and birchbox. i meant to watch f and b from the first episode, but time got away from me, and then it just snowballed from there. i guess i have a year to catch up on it though.
bothered: studying for the mcat. enough said.
hot: my brand new lilly pulitzer planner and purple tervis tumbler. splurging on the good stuff for my last semester of college. :) also excited to try adagio’s coconut tea when it comes to my mailbox on friday!

15 Bridget August 10, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Bothered: Not being able to find a job and being broke
Hot: Having the summer “off” to hang out with friends (everyone from Ann Arbor to Traverse City), family (everywhere from Chicago to Mackinac Island) and the gym…Things I missed while in Texas.

16 Emma August 10, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Dude, I was *totally* thinking about working out/eating well as a hobby earlier today. It’s like you read my mind. Well, I had a slightly different spin – I was thinking about the healthy progression those things have made from “obsession” to “enjoyable hobby.” Besides it not being a chore – which I like! – I like the spin of, it’s not something I need to compulsively do every, single day (obsession); it’s something I partake in often, because I enjoy it, but the world doesn’t crash down around me if I don’t “play” that day (hobby). I can’t wait to read the full post!

Bothered: The repaving project going on in my apartment complex. (It’s actually not *so* bad, but I can’t think of anything else that’s particularly bothering me. Because I’m having a good day. See below.)
Hot: Make-up sex, homemade mac and cheese, and warm Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

17 Rachel August 10, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Mmm…your day sounds awesome.

18 Hannahviolin August 10, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Ooh, thanks for telling me about birchbox, I’ve never heard of it before! I also wanted to say that I do consider working out a hobby, I list it on things I “like to do.” and it’s fun for me. I only do what’s fun.

What’s turning me on today: I am loving the new school I teach violin at. Loving it.

19 Lorilea August 11, 2011 at 8:03 am

I hear you on the hair front! I have about 17 inches of roots and I’m just too broke to pony up the money for a touchup!

20 taryn August 11, 2011 at 8:44 am

i love the idea of exercise as a hobby rather than an obligation. i feel like oftentimes people view physical activity as a necessary evil… but why?! exercise should enhance your life and health and mood and figure (amongst other things). it shouldn’t be something you dread or something you do because you feel like you “should.” if that’s ever the case, as my beloved lolcats would say, ur doin it wrong.

definitely looking forward to your exploration of the topic!

21 Jackie @ That Deep Breath August 11, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Love yoga! Thinking of exercise of a hobby rather than a chore is huge.

22 Alison August 11, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I LOVE define in Houston, but am looking for a new workout class… do you mind sharing your Houston find? I am new to the area and getting married in less than 2 months and am looking to stay toned and confident for my big day!

23 sara @ the foodie diaries August 12, 2011 at 9:32 pm

I love your Wet Wednesdays :) Happy belated birthday Rachel!!