Oh…zarks!

by Rachel on August 15, 2011

Vacation was so much fun!

I flew into Branson, MO, which has the most bizarre airport I’ve ever seen. I’m all for a good theme, but when I stepped off the plane and saw that there was no Hudson News, but there was a General Store, I think I actually said out loud, “Is this a joke?” Eric, who had arrived on Wednesday, came and picked me up at the airport and we made the two hour drive to Camdenton, MO where we were staying at a golf resort.

The pictures on the web site didn’t do it justice, and neither do my pictures. The whole scene was so beautiful — rolling hills and mountains dotted with little brown cabins and just so much green. The weather was amazing too; it was so nice to finally experience summer like I’m used to.

Eric had told me months ago that while the guys golfed all day, he “honestly wasn’t sure what the womenfolk did all day.” I don’t think he was serious when he said “the womenfolk,” but the word stuck, and kind of became a joke over the weekend.

Each morning, the guys (Eric, his dad, his brother, and his uncle) would get up  and head out to golf. Then Eric’s aunt would come over to our cabin with her two kids (Eric’s cousins) and we’d head out on an activity.  The thing was, despite Eric’s lack of knowledge about what they do all day (“I think they just hang out at the cabin all day and then make dinner”) the womenfolk actually had a lot going on each day! On Friday morning, we went horseback riding and then went on a cave tour.

After our morning activities, we’d have lunch and then head back to the cabin to relax/nap for a bit. The menfolk would usually stay around napping while we headed back out for some easy activity — to the grocery store for dinner items, to the outlet mall, or to the clubhouse for a drink.

And can I just say that the womenfolk? Are a blast. We had so much fun. It’s nice to get along with your significant other’s family but I feel lucky that I just really like them and wanted to spend a lot of time with them! I didn’t miss Eric too much when he was out doing menfolk things.

On Saturday, his mom rented a boat and we took it out on the lake for three glorious hours. I parked it on the boat with my Kindle and read most of The Paris Wife, which I ended up finishing on this trip.

I loved the scenery, the prose, and the whole idea of it The Paris Wife, but honestly, it just left me feeling more depressed with each chapter I read.

Aside from that book, the day was great, and really, the whole trip was great. It was fun and relaxing and everything a summer vacation should be. I actually felt almost as sad saying good-bye yesterday as I feel when I say good-bye to my own family. I guess that’s good that I had that much fun, but it’s still making today a bit of a struggle.

1 [SMASH] at Sweat. Style. Swoon. August 15, 2011 at 10:17 am

Nice vacation. Seemed so low key which is awesome!

2 Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories August 15, 2011 at 10:17 am

I loooove the Ozarks! So glad you had a good time there. :)

3 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat August 15, 2011 at 10:18 am

Glad you had a wonderful time – makes me want to discover places other than the beach on my next vacation.

4 Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy August 15, 2011 at 10:32 am

I love relaxing vacations like that. I always end up going places like Vegas or Florida (not complaining) but it would be nice to go rent a cabin somewhere and chill for a few days.

5 Lauren Roady August 15, 2011 at 10:52 am

Sounds like you womenfolk had a great vacay!

6 Rachel's Mom August 15, 2011 at 12:26 pm

I think it’s funny that I sent you a text asking if the “menfolk” were off golfing. I guess it’s just something about the country that makes one say “womenfolk” and “menfolk.”

7 Ashley August 15, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Ahh the ozarks are fun! Glad you had a great vacation.. howd the puppies do with getting boarded?

8 Rachel H August 15, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I tried posting a couple weeks ago, but I guess it didn’t come through!

I live here in the Ozarks (Springfield, to be exact) so I am VERY happy that you had a great time. The weather was perfect this past weekend, so you came at the best time!

Know that you are loved here in Ozark-land!

9 Brandy @ Let's Grab a Coffee August 15, 2011 at 2:03 pm

That’s how vacations are supposed to be…relaxing. Glad you had fun!

10 Melinda R. August 15, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Nice vacation spot! Never been but definitely sounds like a place my husband and I would love to check out! Thanks for sharing some great pictures with us!

Sincerely,

Melinda R.

11 LizK August 15, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I live in St. Louis but my in-laws have a condo in the Ozarks. LOVE it there. So relaxing and great!!! Glad you had fun.

12 sara @ the foodie diaries August 15, 2011 at 7:37 pm

It’s absolutely beautiful! Glad you had a great weekend :)

13 LizAshlee August 15, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Beautiful photos! Luv the bathing suit!! :) Adorable!

14 Katie @ peacebeme August 16, 2011 at 12:42 am

I have that same swimsuit! Except with white bottom. Looks like you had a relaxing time! I love the horse picture, I love horses.