Labor (Day) of Love

by Rachel on September 6, 2011

Over the three-day weekend I…

spent several hours at the salon getting several inches added to my hair (more on that later!)…

got a pedicure with Fiji (my favorite pink) and did my own nails with a new fall color — Mink Muffs…

spent a ridiculous amount of time in men’s basketball pants, lounging/watching TV with Eric/napping/reading — I finished reading Room (ugh, I don’t recommend — will review later this week) , read A Stolen Life (which I do recommend!), and re-read two of my favorite books, Bloodsucking Fiends and You Suck

bathed our filthy puppies…

grilled burgers and asparagus…

cracked open “the perfect summer brew” to say good-bye to summer…

and was delighted to find that this morning was downright cool. I was able to wear my skinny jeans and even threw on a hoodie!

All in all, it was a great three-day break!

What were the highlights of your long weekend?

1 Klh September 6, 2011 at 10:10 am

I love your hair! Also, I look forward to hearing your review of Room; I’ve heard it’s a good one.

Katie : )

2 Brandi @ The Vitamin Bee September 6, 2011 at 10:16 am

Your hair looks great! I’m also interested to hear what you have to say about Room. It keeps popping up in my book club’s selections and I keep voting it down every time because the premise sounds terrible…

Highlights of my weekend include running a half marathon relay, meeting some blog friends, and doing a whole lot of nothing.

3 kate September 6, 2011 at 10:19 am

Love the length on your hair!!!

4 Melissa September 6, 2011 at 10:27 am

The long hair is HAWT! Saw it on twitter over the weekend and totally digging it. And that nail color. A+ all around.

5 mindy September 6, 2011 at 10:30 am

the hair looks great!! and where did you find that ruby redbird? all the dang stores I’ve been to this past week have switched to october-festies already… I would have stocked up on a few cases if I knew it was going extinct so soon!

6 Rachel September 6, 2011 at 10:37 am

We got it at Specs a few weeks ago! Not sure if they still have any but I’ll save you one of ours. It’s delish!

7 Mel September 6, 2011 at 10:55 am

ah your hair! LOVE!

8 deva September 6, 2011 at 11:25 am

i love the hair – and the ruby redbird! my fav summer brew is Bell’s Oberon, and I’m always sad to see it leave store shelves.

my weekend highlight? enjoying time with my boy and being lazy, and buying 2.25 pounds of jelly belly’s at jungle jim’s.

9 Ashley @fromashleywithlove.com September 6, 2011 at 11:30 am

I looooove Mink Muffs. Such a good fall color.

10 Bess September 6, 2011 at 11:44 am

LOVING the new hurr!

Also, glad you said that about Room…it came highly recommended to me and I couldn’t finish it.

11 Jessica September 6, 2011 at 11:59 am

Your hair looks so great!

I can’t wait to read your review of “Room.” I also read it this weekend and found it to be disturbing.

12 Parita @ myinnershakti September 6, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Love your hair. A. Lot.

Have you read “The Hunger Games” books yet? So far so good…I definitely recommend them.

13 Rachel September 6, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Yes, I was just gushing about them last week! LOVE!

14 Michelle September 6, 2011 at 1:21 pm

I thought Room was so good, particularly as it’s based on real circumstances. Some people in my book group could not get past the boy’s voice as narrator, but it was very unique and powerful. There are interviews with the author online that are interesting.

15 Summer September 6, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Your hair looks so sexy!

16 Nicole @ Giraffelegs September 6, 2011 at 2:47 pm

your hair looks bomb!

17 Karen September 6, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Your hair looks amazing.

18 [SMASH] at Sweat. Style. Swoon. September 6, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Still crazy in love with your hair! [Also, am I the only one who giggled at “Mink Muffs”? Probably. *shakes head*] :)

19 Rachel September 6, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Oh no, the word “muffs” is always cause for a snicker!

20 Jacki September 6, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Your hair looks fantastic! Love the extra length.

Let’s see, my weekend was weird. I felt ill on Sunday and skipped a family reunion I now really regret skipping and need to calm down and stop beating myself up about it. Matt and I both had periods of grouchiness for no apparent reason. The little dude (2 and a half) and I had a dance party yesterday afternoon though while Matt cooked dinner. So that was fun.

Now I’m on vacation and hanging out at Panera blogging and reading blogs instead of unpacking my kitchen. Whoops.

21 Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City September 6, 2011 at 5:43 pm

nice nail colors!

22 Emilia September 6, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Your new long hair looks absolutely fantastic! What a great way to start a new season :)

The highlight of my long weekend was most definitely getting a milk frother and spending oodles of time making custom lattes. Espresso nerd = me.

23 Hannah September 6, 2011 at 7:33 pm

I JUST BOUGHT MINK MUFFS TOO!! I’ve wanted it forever & I love it. I’ve loved it on my nails even more every day. I just keep staring at it! Can’t wait to try it on my toes.

24 Rachel September 6, 2011 at 8:20 pm

You look gorgeous Rach, lovin’ the hair! Sounds like you had the perfect “me time” weekend, good for you!

25 Ashley September 6, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Ahh I love love love your hair! I am like 40 pages into the room and just CANNOT get into it. I want to finish it because I heard it gets better but it is painful to read right now

26 jenna k September 7, 2011 at 12:19 am

your hair looks so good! i’m excited to read about the process.
LOVE that beer.
some of my highlights include going to the lake and boomsday (biggest fireworks show in the southeast), but let’s get real- the best part was the labor day bangover.

27 Rachel September 7, 2011 at 10:01 am

NICE.

28 Liz @ iheartvegetables September 7, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Ironically, one of the highlights of my weekend was getting an iphone and taking pictures with the instagram app ;)

29 Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad September 9, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I love You Suck!! All his books are great.

I just re-found your blog after being reminded of it by a good discussion on a random forum ;) And I’m glad I did. I missed reading. I went through a no blogs phase but I am reading again now.

Anyway, hope you’re well :) Loved the weight loss tips video, hehe. The Organic Onion cracks me up. I wish they updated more.