Lesson #101: How to Lose Weight & Get in Shape in the Fall

by Rachel on September 8, 2011

It’s a new season so you know what that means — it’s time for everyone to start telling you how to lose weight by taking advantage of all the great things about that season. And you know what? Most of those tips are completely ridiculous and improbable.

But I’m not one to miss out on a trend! So…here are my tips!

Lesson #101: How to Lose Weight in the Fall

For further reading…

Any additional health magazine style tips to add to my list? Tell me in the comments (or share the video on your own blog and write up your own list there)!

1 Skyler Meine September 8, 2011 at 10:01 am

On my way to try all these great tips out! Finally some practical tips for getting fit in the fall.

2 Diane September 8, 2011 at 10:13 am

Your weave is LEGIT. For some reason, this video reminds me of the girls from “the fashion club” in Daria. Love it!

P.S. Do you watch “Awkward Black Girl?” I feel like you’d appreciate her: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIVa9lxkbus&feature=channel_video_title

3 Joey September 8, 2011 at 12:16 pm

You are crazy and fabulous & I love it!!!!

4 Melanie September 8, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I tweeted this at you a while ago and you asked me to DM you to talk about it more, but I’m dumb and am not sure if my DM ever went through, but . . . please, please, please consider adding summaries or transcripts of the videos you post for those of use who are hearing impaired (like me) or can’t watch videos at work. That would be such a big help.

5 Rachel September 8, 2011 at 12:59 pm

I got your DM and responded asking you to email me because I wanted to get a bit more info from you. Please email me!!

6 Caitlin September 8, 2011 at 12:50 pm

CRACKING UP.

Also, this song just made my whole season.

“Put your fall clothes on. ALL of them.”

Also, I will make sure to include “festive fall shit” into my every day vocab.

7 [SMASH] at Sweat. Style. Swoon. September 8, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Clearly I’ve emailed this to several coworkers AND reblogged it on Tumblr. So damn funny! [And still crazy in love with your new locks! Would be super hot with blunt bangs, too!]

8 megan September 8, 2011 at 1:35 pm

HAHAHAHA. also, that onion thing is hilarious. this is everything that needed to be said about fall workouts and healthy living blogs, in the perfect way

9 Kaytee September 8, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I love this. If I see one more person post a picture of their pumpkin spice latte on Facebook (or Twitter or Tumblr), I am going to scream. The same goes for the little iPhone screenshots of *slightly* cooler weather… I am looking at YOU, Texans.

Also, your hair is even hotter in the video than in the pictures. It has me tempted to chop off a few inches of my hair, which is getting a little bit too long to manage. (#whitegirlproblems, I know.)

10 janetha September 8, 2011 at 2:17 pm

hahahaha holy shit. thank you for the AMAZING ideas.

11 Nicole @ Giraffelegs September 8, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I was debating on whether to rood Room, but now I am pretty sure it will just piss me off. Thanks for the warning!

12 Amanda September 8, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I wish California had apple-picking. (Well, it does but not L.A.) ha. I love the Tegan and Sara song in this.

Hilarious post!

13 Emma September 8, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Loved this! And *love* your hair! :)

14 Manon September 8, 2011 at 7:55 pm

“It’s decorative gourd season, MOTHER FUCKERS.” Made. My. Day.

15 Bridget September 8, 2011 at 8:42 pm

How about those white pants that made my ass look great a week ago MUST bc put away because everyone looks like a heifer wearing white past labor day? It must be fall!

16 Liz @ IHeartVegetables September 8, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Hahahaha this cracked me up. I love it. I’m totally getting my cardio in by chasing trick-or-treaters ;)

17 Jess-The SemiAbnormal Gal September 8, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Wait. People have to go and like, find orchids? I thought everyone, like, had one in their backyard. I mean, I, like, totally always have.

Rachel Wilkerson, this is why I love you so! Perfection.

18 Hannah September 8, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Oh my, when I saw this headline I was so worried it was going to be serious….thank God I was wrong! This had me cracking up in my dorm room. Being at an all-women’s college, however, I just have to be slightly picky and edit that you can make out with someone of the same sex, too, cause plenty people do it at my school :P

19 Rachel September 8, 2011 at 9:37 pm

You think a woman’s magazine would allow that?!

I, on the other hand, would say if you honestly want someone willing to rake leaves and then jump in them and make out with you all cute-like…well, another girl is probably the only person who would be up for that anyway!

20 Hannah September 8, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Haha that’s so true-they would never EVER say something that wasn’t heternormative! ;-)

21 Amanda September 8, 2011 at 9:29 pm

I made the mistake of ordering a PSL before noticing the pricing. $5 later, I was enjoying my latte while writing a bitter email to Starbucks.

22 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List September 8, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Just found your blog via Janetha! Hilarious. Actually just watched the “What I think about during long runs” and may have spit Honey Nut Cheerios onto my computer! I’ll def. be back!

23 Rachel September 8, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Oh hayyyy! Welcome!!

24 Phoebe September 8, 2011 at 11:45 pm

I love The Organic Onion. I tend to be boringly “pro-positivity” re. the blog world but that site strikes such a brilliant, genuinely The Onion-esque tone. Love the pumpkin post.

25 Lindsey @ Stink and Hincks September 9, 2011 at 8:26 am

I love eating precisely 1200 calories of candy and STILL losing weight. The possibilities are endless… And I am definitely not above chasing trick-or-treaters for their candy. It’s called SHARING, children.

26 Erin September 9, 2011 at 9:40 am

LOL! This is my favorite thing I’ve seen lately. I’m glad you highlighted the seriousness of the subject of pumpkin humping as well.

27 cindylu September 9, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Another tip: It’s football season! Get your girlfriends together for a friendly game of two hand touch* with the hot guys who live down the hall from you.

*If they’re only so-so, make it a flag football game.

28 Rachel September 9, 2011 at 7:20 pm

GREAT tip!!

29 Nat September 9, 2011 at 7:42 pm

All these tips are GENUIS! …lol. You are hilarious..no really!

30 Nat September 9, 2011 at 7:46 pm

lol..I can’t spell. *genius

31 Ellen September 9, 2011 at 8:45 pm

So excited to see a new vlog! I re-watch old ones all the time when I’m having a bad day! This made my weekend!

32 Lauren September 10, 2011 at 6:09 pm

LOVE THIS! Thank you for making fun of ridiculous weight loss tips in magazines. Bravo!

Lauren
@lrstewar

33 Nancy September 10, 2011 at 11:05 pm

This was hysterical! I was LMAO during the entire thing.

34 Natalie September 11, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Love. It. Thank goodness someone else thinks that filling your home with the crusted, faux remains of a pumpkin patch is a little ridiculous!

35 Paige September 12, 2011 at 7:17 am

Funny video! Also niiiiice new hair. It looks really good on you!

36 Allison September 12, 2011 at 6:14 pm

I’m pretty sure you’ve been to my apartment. It’s totally been covered in fall shit.

I actually tried the candy diet in college. Sour skittle all day, baby. Not only did the sour powder burn your tongue SO BADLY that you had no taste buds left, you felt a little sick from the sugar and further abstained from real food. I lost 5 pounds. It was pretty awesome.

(Rachel, I’m really curious about how the sexperiment is going! =D)

37 Rachel September 12, 2011 at 8:22 pm

It’s going well! More updates soon, I promise!