My Stance on the Pumpkin Latte

by Rachel on September 14, 2011

This post from Sept. 2010 bears repeating. I was hoping this year would be different but…nope.

Dear Everyone Who Didn’t Just Move to Texas,

I was going to ask what you’re doing this weekend, but I actually don’t need to. I know what you’re doing.

You’re drinking a pumpkin latte.

No, no, you’re right! I didn’t hear you the first time. Tell me again, please!

Tell me until it’s trending on Twitter, because I totally forgot what happens at Starbucks this time of year. They use a seasonal flavor! OMFGGGGEEEEEEEEEEE.

I get it.

Fall is here.

I mean, it’s there.

Where you are.

And you’re drinking a pumpkin latte.

I know…there’s a chill in the air. You had to put on a sweatshirt. There was frost on your car this morning!

It was more than 90 degrees when I left my apartment this morning and the humidity punched me in the face.

Sort of like I want to punch everyone who “Just remembered that Starbucks has pumpkin lattes again!” in the face.

But you know what? It’s fine. You can spend your Saturday morning sipping on 200 calories of pure sugar.

And come November, when I start tweeting, “God, even if I weren’t half-black, I’d still be rocking a great tan right now!” and twit-picing the palm trees that line the street next to my Starbucks — you don’t get to complain.

On another, less bitter note, I made a ton of pumpkin recipes in 2009, when I was living in the great Midwest, and since everyone seems to be so hot and bothered for pumpkin right now, I thought I’d share.

Homemade Pumpkin Latte

Baked Pumpkin Pasta

How to Bake and Eat a Pumpkin

Apple Pumpkin Butter

Pumpkin Butterscotch Cookies

Pumpkin Smoothie

Pumpkin Margaritas

Put on your fall boots and turn on the oven. I’m going to put on my cowboy boots and turn away as though I don’t care.

1 Tara September 14, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Yeah, I never understood the great pumpkin latte, seasonal drink hype either.

2 janetha September 14, 2011 at 4:10 pm

I remember this the first time around, and it was just as perfect the second time. My whole Instagram feed is blowing up with those damn lattes! At least post a few photos of your dog to break up the feed.

3 Jaclyn September 14, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Yesterday I went by Starbucks for a regular coffee and had this exchange with the drive-through barista:

Barista: Hi, welcome to Starbucks, would you like to try a new pumpkin latte?
Me: …YES! Can I get it iced?
Barista: Yes!
Me: Can I get it with fat free milk?
Barista: Yes!
Me: Can I get it with no whipped cream?
Barista: Yes!
Me: Tall?
Barista: YES!

After all this excitement and positive energy, I was pretty excited to try the thing.

Verdict: meh.

Maybe if, like Texas, it wasn’t 1,000 degrees in Florida and I wasn’t drowning in the humidity with the swamp creatures, it would have been better. Or maybe it needs the full fat milk and whipped cream.

Either way, I feel your pain, girl.

4 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep September 14, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Love it! The Florida heat makes me want to punch the pumpkin latter drinkers in the cooter box.

5 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep September 14, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I meant latte!

6 deva (voracious vorilee) September 14, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I like the cinnamony flavor of the pumpkin latte. I got one recently and yes – I blogged about it. I normally get one a season and then go back to regular coffee or plain lattes. I am SO not ready for cold weather yet – give me my ninety degree days back ;-)

7 Rachel September 14, 2011 at 4:22 pm

hahahaha this made me laugh, even though I am so one of “those girls” you are referring too. I even blogged about my love for them today. Yes, I am That Girl. It excites me, what can I say. I however order mine iced with just a small pump of pumpkin. Does the trick every time, and not too overbearing with the sugar. Love ya Rach!

8 Lauren @ Team Giles September 14, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Oh Rachel, don’t be mad, be happy and have a pumpkin spice latte (while freakin’ sweat drips down your back… gotta love Houston) ;)

9 Stina September 14, 2011 at 4:42 pm

I remember this post from last year, but I still found it just as awesome.

I actually ordered a PSL the other day because hey, when isn’t dropping $5 on a 12oz iced coffee a good idea, and you know what, I was super disappointed! Maybe my tastes have changed, maybe it was a new Batista who didn’t quite know what the hell she was doing and screwed it up, maybe it’s because I ordered it iced, or maybe I just see my PSLs through rose tinted memories, but it sucked! I won’t be ordering another one this year.

10 Rachel September 14, 2011 at 4:44 pm

This just made my day! lol I can’t bring myself to drink one until it’s actually cold…in January or so. I’m not complaining about still being able to wear a swimsuit right now though!

11 Amy September 14, 2011 at 4:52 pm

I live in Wisconsin and, as I’m sure you can imagine, a TON of people complain about the cold/snow/ice/freezing/all around crappiness of the weather here…but not me. I LOVE IT. Sorry I’m not sorry that I will raise my pumpkin spice latte up high as I toast the 50–no 40–no 30–no 20 degree weather! Fall is back, baby, and I’m excited. :)

12 Jessica @ Fit Chick Wannabe September 14, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Just started reading your blog yesterday. You. Are. Hilarious. Keep a’posting.

13 Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad September 14, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Am I the only one who hates pumpkin lattes? Lattes in general? I don’t like drinking pumps of sugar (or aspartame). I’d rather eat ice cream :) I do love pumpkin, but not fake pumpkin. Mmm pumpkin pie.

Haha, love the comment about the tan ;)

14 Rachel September 14, 2011 at 6:38 pm

You know what I love? Pumpkin ice cream!

15 Nicole @ Giraffelegs September 14, 2011 at 5:16 pm

hahahaha agreed. The pumpkin spice latte isn’t nearly delicious enough to drink 200 calories. You still can’t justify drinking it by using skim milk either..fail.

16 Michael September 14, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan of the Bux. But I don’t get this obsessiveness about the pumpkin spice latte. And every time I’ve asked why it’s so good nobody can tell me. Or maybe they’re just mad that I questioned the awesomeness of the PSL.

17 Susie September 14, 2011 at 5:33 pm

See, I just got excited the other day to pick up pumpkin spice candles so I can make my apt smell like fall and pretend it’s not still hot and un-fall-like here. I got that from my mom since I grew up in Southern California, or Land of One Season. I wonder if the Starbucks pumpkin latte is really that good… I’ve had pumpkin lattes at other places and they were never that flavorful.

Also, that baked pumpkin pasta looks delicious – must try it!

18 Debbie September 14, 2011 at 5:37 pm

I hear ya. In spite of an amazing thunderstorm yesterday (with highs of 72!), it’s right back into the 90s today, and up to over 100 again by the weekend. Pumpkin seems like a flavor that is eons away right now.

19 melissanibbles September 14, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I’ve never had a plain latte. Don’t get me wrong, I love my coffee, but people act like it’s cocaine. Maybe it is….I’m going to rethink this whole no latte thing.

20 Rachel September 14, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I like how you think, Nibbles.

21 Christie F September 14, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Yeah I’m not a big fan of pumpkins but for Christ sake it is only SEPTEMBER here and still 80 degrees in Indiana, so uhm.. can’t we wait until, oh I don’t know… Mid-October at the earliest? It’s like Christmas stuff showing up on Nov. 1st. GIVE IT TIME.

22 Heidi Nicole September 14, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Thank you!
I don’t like the pumpkin latte and I’m already sick of hearing about it. Maybe because it is over-hyped and maybe because I’m just jealous that my tastebuds are not cool enough to join in the blabbering! Although I’m not going to lie…I am totally prepared for the boots, scarves and tights season!

23 Eden September 14, 2011 at 6:08 pm

I live in LA. Its 74 degrees 363 days a year. One day it gets super hot, one day super cold. I don’t speak fall.

Pumpkins should exist for the sole purpose of getting Cinderella to her ball or whatever.

24 Rachel September 14, 2011 at 9:51 pm

HA! Well said!

25 cindylu September 15, 2011 at 2:37 am

I think early fall is actually warmer in LA than most of summer.

26 Eden September 14, 2011 at 6:09 pm

and I should mention I have nothing against your recipes. I just dont get the pumpkin mania. You know, so you don’t think I’m a hater and all.

27 Dori September 14, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Meh. Vanilla lattes are better. Let’s all get excited that we can drink those year round.

28 jenna k September 14, 2011 at 8:08 pm

everyone’s obsession with the pumpkin spice latte drives me bananas. i’m fine with pumpkin, but i’m not nuts about it, so i don’t even like them. i’ll stick with my perfect (once-in-a-blue-moon-because-they’re-$4) nonfat caramel latte, thanks.

29 Jess September 14, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Haha love it…i can take or leave psl’s. But I must say I am so freaking glad summer is over. I live in upstate NY and while I totally realize the heat here isn’t comparable to the heat where you are, I still hate summer. Bring on the snow!!!

30 Manon September 14, 2011 at 10:43 pm

It’s good. I get it. I love reminding people that that Venti PSL that is “love in a cup!” as they remind me over….and over…..and OVER on FB/Twitter/Blogs is really almost 500 cals going straight to their ass. How’s THAT taste, mother fuckers?

31 Sid September 15, 2011 at 2:18 am

We don’t have a Starbucks in South Africa. And I can’t imagine having a pumpkin flavoured coffee. To bizarre to comprehend.

32 Danielle September 15, 2011 at 6:52 am

If it makes you feel any better, I think pumpkin spiced lattes are nasty!

33 Liz September 15, 2011 at 7:48 am

I’m sort of anti-Starbucks. Just because it’s so damn trendy and we have a roasting plant here in town. I like convenience store coffee. SO SUE ME.

34 Ericka Andersen September 15, 2011 at 8:18 am

I love them but I got SO sick recently of hearing about them! Your post said it all for me. I forwarded to a friend who I had just vented to about this two days ago! Appreciated :)

35 Jacki September 15, 2011 at 8:32 am

Ha! I would say about 25% of the posts in my FB feed last week were pumpkin spice latte-related.

Now, I’m fairly neutral on the pumpkin – it’s good, but I’m not rushing to get one daily, even in our chilly Maine fall – but when the red cups come out and the peppermint mocha is back? Watch. Out.

Actually, they’ll make a peppermint mocha year round if you ask, but without the red cup and red sprinkles it’s just not as festive, so I skip the calories.

36 Martha September 15, 2011 at 9:31 am

I love a good seasonal latte now and then, be it pumpkin spice or gingerbread. In fact, I don’t mind pumpkin things either- I love cinnamony-nutmegy things and it reminds me of my favourite thanksy-g pie (pumpkin pie FTW). However, one thing I can’t behind is every freaking blogger posting a recipe to make a homemade pumpkin spice latte. I have counted at least three this season. I mean, really? If you’re a blogger, you should know your genre of blogs enough to realize that you don’t need to reinvent the wheel just to hop on a trend. /Rant over.
So yeah, love this post.

37 Martha September 15, 2011 at 9:35 am

Sorry for clarity’s sake: I didn’t mean that you shouldn’t have posted your pumpkin latte recipe two years ago- I mean bloggers who post “new” recipes now which are basically the same thing you and other posted years ago is annoying. But I fully endorse pumpkin margarita recipes.

38 Rachel September 15, 2011 at 9:39 am

Noted! The reason I posted these (and I assume other bloggers do it for the same reason) because I’m always getting new readers and I get questions from them asking for recipes/suggestions/ideas every time a new season rolls around. It’s usually easier to just link to them once as a reminder rather than answer a ton of requests for them!

39 kate September 15, 2011 at 9:36 am

Freakin’ love the pumpkin margaritas. I can’t wait to make some. This weekend, I do believe it’s in order.

Enjoy your bikini time!

40 Diane September 15, 2011 at 9:41 am

As I wrote last year, I HATE the smell of cinnamon, pumpkin, apple, spice, etc. It always reminds me of a craft store. Drinking a pumpkin latte is like deep-throating Jo-Ann Fabrics. I’ll pass.

I’m reminded of your post about sports. Like you said, all the people who normally have nothing to say finally have a statement that’s guaranteed at least five “likes” on Facebook. The worst.

Football! VMAs! Pumpkin Lattes!

41 Rachel September 15, 2011 at 9:45 am

Yeah the post about sports is going to get repeated VERY soon…

“Deep throating Jo-Ann Fabrics” is one of my favorite quotes…ever.

42 Liz @ IHeartVegetables September 15, 2011 at 10:11 am

Hahaha never have I ever had a pumpkin spice latte

43 Megan September 15, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I LOVE this! I’m from Boston, MA but have been living in Costa Rica for the past year. I am going to throw up if I read about one more pumpkin.

44 Bree September 16, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Thank you. So tired of hearing about it! I wrote a post last year about how I think fall is sort of overrated. I wasn’t surprised no one agreed with me, but whatevs. PSL = not worth the hype.

45 Brandy @ Let's Grab a Coffee September 17, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I didn’t join the ranks of blogging about my pumpkin latte.

I did, however, Facebook the fact that my local Dunkin’ Donuts had pumpkin flavored munchkins! C’mon…who could resist??

46 Lisa September 18, 2011 at 7:15 pm

In the almost 2 years I’ve been on Twitter and in the blog world I’ve seen the seasonal trends and I have to admit…it’s pretty annoying. Like EVERYONE talking about pumpkin for the next 4 months is enough to make me unsubscribe from everything. :)

That being said, while I am scrooge about pumpkin lattes, I am a fan of Halloween and all things Fall. Bring on pumpkins!

47 Siyam September 21, 2011 at 12:42 am

So do what I do.. have a Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate ( or iced Mocha). :)

48 Errign September 29, 2011 at 11:27 am

Excellent post. I mean, I like pumpkin and all (okay, I’m borderline obsessed), but seriously, I do not understand WHY everyone loses their shit over a coffee drink, full of sugar that costs like 6 bucks.

49 Emma October 10, 2011 at 8:08 pm

When we decided to move to Austin, I actually thought of this post, and wondered how much I would miss Fall! And yeah, when it was still 100+ in September and the rest of the world was talking about the leaves changing, I totally felt it.