The Life: Lifting My Halloween Spirits

by Rachel on September 26, 2011

On any given day, it’s easy enough for me to ignore the word “September” on my calendar, tune out the pumpkin latte talk, not read anything fashion-related (Oh, cable-knit sweaters are in? That will go great with the 100 degree weather!), and pretend that it’s still summer for everyone. But the whole denial thing will only take a girl so far, so a couple of weeks ago, I decided to just accept that fall is happening elsewhere without me and decorate my apartment a little bit.

I went to Hob Lob and realized that I couldn’t get into the whole “harvest” look here in Texas. I love it when I’m at home, but when you walk from palm trees and steamy heat into a home filled with orange, gold, brown, and red, something feels a little…off. I mean, fake leaves have their time and place when you’re in a situation when the leaves could be real, but down in Houston, they would look faker than the cast of Real Housewives.

I decided to go Halloween Lite and buy these cream-colored pumpkins.

They don’t really make any more sense than orange pumpkins — it’s not like white pumpkins grow down here so I’m representing my new climate by displaying these– but they feel a little less jarring to me. On the one hand, I feel like the girls who say their fake tits are “really natural!”, and you’re like, “Right, except they aren’t….” because ceramic white pumpkins are no more real than ceramic orange pumpkins, but it’s working for me.

It’s actually not easy to find decorative fall items that aren’t traditional fall colors, so I didn’t go too crazy with the decor. (Nor did I want to, because, again, it feels weird to see tons of fall items inside when people are by the pools outside.) But to match my neutral pumpkins, I bought a leaf plate that I use mostly as a spoon rest on the stove…

…and these dark silver salt and pepper shakers from Target.

Target had a lot more cool, creepy, modern items like this in black and dark grey that I might add once October hits, but I wasn’t really feeling putting up sexy Goth candelabras in September.

Fall is pretty difficult for me in Houston. It’s my favorite time of year and my family gets really into Halloween; I really miss being able to soak in every aspect of fall, especially the weather. Last year I went home for Halloween and it helped a lot. This year, I couldn’t afford the $400 (!!!!) plane ticket. I was pretty emo about it and finally found a compromise — I’m going to Chicago for Halloween!

I love Chicago. I was born there and lived there until I was five, and then lived there again for a year after high school, so I feel very comfortable there. Almost all of my friends live there and it’s a five-hour drive from my house in Michigan, so my family can come down to meet me for a couple days over the weekend. Eric is coming for a few days too, and it will be  the first time some of my best friends get to meet him. While I can’t believe that in a month, I’ll be somewhere with brown, crunchy leaves and can wear a jacket, I’m so excited to start planning my trip!

And planning our costumes!!! Two years ago my mom made me a great sushi costume and last year’s deer in headlights/truck driver costumes were pretty amazing, so I am not sure quite how to top that this year.

Eric & Rachel Halloween

Anyone have ideas?? Or suggestions for where should we go/what we should do in costume the weekend of October 28th??? I’m so excited to start planning!

1 Joey September 26, 2011 at 10:24 am

I can identify.. Fall is my favorite season (in Indiana) too, and the season I have the most decor for. I just can’t bring myself to get out my leaf garland, though. It’s still around 100* here and even if it was cool, it just isn’t the same. :(

2 Mel September 26, 2011 at 10:26 am

Um Chicago Rachel Wilkerson-fan meet up????!!!!

No?…too creepy…?

haha Seriously, how exciting! Be prepared for the chilling temperatures in late October (it’s in the 50s today!) but I guarantee it will be so so fun!

3 EricaLS September 26, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I mean, I was going to say it and then you already did.

It’s probably creepy but YAY CHICAGO

4 Rachel September 27, 2011 at 8:52 am

Not creepy…if you guys want to me to plan something, I will!! Maybe a happy hour??? Or what? You tell me!

5 Ashley September 28, 2011 at 8:42 am

I would be in for a Chicago meet up :)

6 Mel September 28, 2011 at 10:29 am

Yeah, I agree. A happy hour would obviously be pretty awesome or we could brainstorm a fun foodie/ health nut joint or just sit around a Barnes & Noble and listen to you read aloud from your manu. haha

7 Carolyn October 10, 2011 at 2:23 pm

yes please plan something! an autumnal happy hour would be perfect!

8 Diane September 26, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I’m out of costume ideas this year, too. Let me know if you wanna brainstorm! I have tons of couples costume ideas, but I can’t seem to find anything for myself. I’m pretty sure Halloween will be a bigger test of my future relationships than Valentine’s Day. It’s serious to me!

9 deva @ deva by definition September 26, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Fall is my favorite season hands-down. One of the best costumes I’ve seen was when a friend got a few disposable camera and a white tee-shirt. She took a sharpie and wrote across the tee “Your Biggest Fan!” and would go up to people at the halloween block party shrieking ‘OH MY GOD I AM YOUR BIGGEST FAN!!!!! CAN I TAKE A PICTURE???”

It was highly amusing.

10 Jaclyn September 26, 2011 at 12:57 pm

I guess since I’ve lived in Florida my whole life I’ve just accepted that cool weather doesn’t appear until January (although we got it in November last year!) and I went ahead and started my decorating yesterday. I need a few more Halloween things though, because right now I have mostly fall stuff. I did score an adorable It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown serving tray at Ross, though, and have it proudly displayed. Hot weather and all, this is my favorite time of the year. I’d love to move somewhere that has seasons, though.

11 Lorraine September 26, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Just tagging on as another Floridian. Fall, who? Fall is really beach season for me. The hurricane rain starts to calm the eff down so we can enjoy a little more of the sunshine. :)

I love Chicago too. I was there for the first time this summer and I fell in love.

Lor

12 Phoebe September 26, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I know exactly how you feel. This is my first fall in Texas! I grew up in New England and then lived in Chicago so fall has always been a major part of my life. I have actually been fantasizing about the Chicago winter for the last couple months. It’s not so fun to read girly magazines and think “ugh” at all the clothes that aren’t shorts and t-shirts. Halloween is def my favorite holiday, good luck with costume ideas!

13 Colleen September 26, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Oh my gosh, I love your deer in the headlights costume! So funny! I think I’m going to be a fly this year, mostly so I can carry a fly swatter and hit people with it. I think my best costume was a few years ago when I was a loofah–I wore a leotard and sewed a bunch of loofahs together to make a skirt and wore a headband with a big piece of rope on it and carried a container of bubbles.

14 Morgan September 26, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Garden Gnomes!!! I was one last year and I got a lot of compliments!

15 Rachel September 27, 2011 at 8:41 am

Pictures?!

16 Morgan September 27, 2011 at 9:05 pm

[img]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=798901617966&set=a.717578734676.2302906.37524778&type=1&theater[/img]

I don’t know if that image works, but I just got a red party hat, shorts, long boots, flannel shirt, a wide belt and suspenders.

trick or treat!

17 kate September 27, 2011 at 9:34 am

I love the short, squat pumpkin from HobLob. The skull salt and pepper shakers, I neeeeed those.

I see flights listed on Airfare Watchdog from Flint to Houston. I went to send one to you before, but it seemed stalkery but since you mentioned pricey flights… I hope this helps.

(hopefully this doesn’t post twice, I think it didn’t post the last time because I added a link? or you set up moderation and I missed the notice.)

18 Rachel September 28, 2011 at 12:10 pm

The link must have sent it to spam the first time! Sorry about that!

19 Brandy @ Let's Grab a Coffee September 27, 2011 at 9:40 pm

I was a deer last year too…my bf was a hunter.

It was not cute. Your costume is a lot more flattering than mine was.

Even though I love, love fall — I found myself wishing I could soak up a little sun today. So just know, we’re jealous of your weather too! :)

20 marie September 28, 2011 at 8:42 am

We lived in McAllen, TX for a year. Makes it harder to get into the Christmas spirit when you’re putting up lights outside and sweating balls. But I do miss the palm trees.