Wet Wednesday

by Rachel on September 28, 2011

This week is going so fast! Here’s what’s on my list right this second.

(via Rare Rose)

Hot

Feed. I downloaded Feed on my Kindle last week and I really dig it so far. It’s a YA novel (yep, another one…I’m taking a break from the non-fiction I’ve read pretty exclusively for the past couple years) about a future society where everyone has the feed implanted in his or her brain; it’s a web/TV/phone/social media system that everyone uses to stay in touch with their friends and it tracks everything they purchase and do so they can see more ads. Sound familiar? What’s unsettling is that it was written in 2004, way before Facebook/iPhone/FourSquare/whatever comes out today made the world feel kinda creepy. Oh and the Kindle editionis only $1.99 and since everyone is going to buy a Kindle after the new ones came out today (right?!) you can make this your first download!

My Iyengar yoga class. I just came from this class and I’m all excited and happy because of it. The first time I took it, I wasn’t sure what to think. My studio’s description says:

Focuses on alignment and breath to open tight spots and increase circulation. Build strength and flexibility in your body by holding poses and breathing through the intensity. Appropriate for beginners as well as advanced students.

It’s very different from Vinyasa, which feels upbeat and is all based on “flow.” This class is slow, steady, and intense. My instructor doesn’t play music. We breathe a lot. I often felt uncomfortable at first, like I was doing something wrong, because I didn’t have the strength or the patience to hold all the poses. (I still don’t have it!) I decided to stick with it, figuring it would be good to mix up the style of classes I was taking, and it ended up being the one class/instructor I haven’t missed yet. I’m glad it worked out that way because I’m loving it more and more each week and I’m getting so much stronger. Spending tons of time in poses like turbo dog or dolphin pose is so challenging and just feels like such a great release at the same time. And the instructor is so down-to-earth and strong and when she talks about releasing stored emotions or wanting to cry in class or doing shoulder stands to cure your cold, it’s never crunchy or touchy-feely — which I feel like is a rare thing! I saw tonight that she is teaching a retreat in November and I even though I’m so new to yoga, I am actually thinking of going because I feel like it would be kind of amazing.

Bothered

A Stabler-less “Law & Order: SVU.” Actually, the jury is still out on this one. I’m torn. On the one hand, who doesn’t love SVU for its kinda-cliché formula? How can we have SVU without Elliot roughing up perps or chasing them down in his jean jacket? On the other hand, the Law & Order franchises have to make changes or they couldn’t stay on the air forever and ever and I was more upset over losing ADA Alexandra Cabot than I am about Stabler. (Let’s be honest — she kicks ass. And is just so pretty!) I’m willing to give this new detective tonight a fair shot.

What’s on your Wet Wednesday list this week?

1 Cynthia (It All Changes) September 28, 2011 at 8:30 pm

I really miss Alexandra Cabot. I don’t think I could watch if Olivia was gone for good but I’m willing to give it a go considering I know the basic plot line of the show. The only Law and Order I can’t watch is Criminal Intent. I even love the BBCA version.

2 Rachel September 28, 2011 at 8:37 pm

I HATE CRIMINAL INTENT! It’s awful!

3 Jaclyn September 28, 2011 at 8:47 pm

I’m not pleased about the Stabler-less SVU one bit.

4 Triz September 28, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Yes … not at all the same without Elliot getting all unStabler at people. :(

5 Karoline September 28, 2011 at 9:11 pm

I really liked Feed, too! On the YA topic, have you read Book Thief? So good.

6 Rachel September 28, 2011 at 9:16 pm

I haven’t but I have heard good things!

7 Karoline September 28, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Dooo itttt

8 Dori September 29, 2011 at 7:51 am

Buying Feed right now, thanks! I’ve never taken Iyengar but I’ve seen it on class schedules. You just inspired me.

9 Alli September 29, 2011 at 8:28 am

Gaaaah I just finished Feed yesterday and it creeped me out so badly. I think my favorite part was all the crazy slang and they way the characters spoke which just hammered home the CONSTANT STIMULATION ALL THE TIME. For the first 10 pages I was like, wtf is going on, but then by the second chapter I was meg into it.

10 Rachel September 29, 2011 at 9:50 am

I KNOW! It really is creepy how accurate it is! And the crazy slang and the way the talk seems so ridiculous…until you think about how we talk!

11 Carrie @ No More Tomorrows September 29, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Hot: Dolvett Quince (still.. he will be my answer every week until Biggest Loser wraps it’s current season) But also my guy, because he cooks quite often for us, and makes sure I have lunch for the next day. And I just got off the phone with him asking what I want from the store so he can make dinner. He’s pretty drool worthy too. :-)

Bothered: My work and financial situation. Aggravating.

12 jenna k September 29, 2011 at 5:28 pm

ahhh i’ve always wanted to read feed. the concept does seem super creepy now though. have you read one of his other books, burger wuss? it’s always been one of my favorites.

13 Amy September 30, 2011 at 11:06 am

Bah, I am so weirded out by the Stabler-less SVU too. And I feel like they are making Olivia REALLY emo about it–at least they did in the first episode of the season (haven’t watched this week’s yet). I totally dig having her character have some more real emotions but she was just a big bitch the whole episode and I was NOT a fan (and normally she’s my favorite character!). If they want to do character development with her, I’d love to know what happened with the kid she almost ended up adopting?! After he went with family or whatever we never heard another thing about it. I know that SVU’s schtick is to have story arcs that last at most one or two episodes, but I feel like especially now that they’re Stabler-less they need to have a bit more in their character arcs.

14 nikkiana September 30, 2011 at 12:09 pm

The fact that you mentioned Feed reminds me that I bought that book ages ago and then never got around to reading it… I should totally pick it up again!

15 Kim October 1, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Ahhhhhh Feed! The filet mignon farms and the shrink wrapped whales!