OMG, We’re Back Again!

by Rachel on October 4, 2011

After a four-month break from working on Hollaback Health, the health bloggers’ blog, we’re back in action!

I started things off this morning with a “what I learned on my summer vacation” essay.

If there’s one topic on a lot of bloggers’ minds right now, it’s Get Off My Internets, a site that isn’t new, but is new to many healthy living bloggers. I was aware of GOMI for a little while, but I had no reason to read it, as it mainly focused on bloggers I didn’t know or read. But suddenly, blogs I do know and read started popping up in the GOMI forums. And then, as we like to say at Hollaback, shit got bananas.

Like many other bloggers, I found myself the subject of a thread in the GOMI forums. They called me a raging slut — and not as a bad thing; as in, “Does anyone else miss the raging slut Rachel Wilkerson?” The question was put out there and people agreed; yes, they missed the raging slut. They said that now I was boring. And hipster.

Call me a raging slut all you want, but I do not like being accused of being a fucking hipster.

Aside from the hipster thing, though, the forum hit on a lot of things about my blog that I was worried about and basically confirmed my fears that I was becoming the blogger equivalent of That Girl Who Gets a Boyfriend and Suddenly Ditches All Her Friends. After spending more time in the forums, reading every single healthy living blogger thread, and interacting with the community there, I can say that I my experience with GOMI was actually pretty positive.

You can read the full post about it on Hollaback: Five Things GOMI Taught Me About Blogging!

UPDATE: In the months after I published this post, the number of legit conversations taking place on GOMI shrank and the number of absolutely toxic conversations increased dramatically. While I did initially learn some important lessons by reading what was being said about me there, continuing to read what was being said about me and other bloggers (and continuing to attempt to have rational conversations with the community there) became incredibly unhealthy and damaging and I quit cold turkey in January 2012.

{ 20 comments }

1 Dori October 4, 2011 at 10:10 am

I commented on Hollaback so I’ll keep it short here — you are one classy lady. I love the way you handle criticism like a grown up.

2 Rachel October 4, 2011 at 10:25 am

Thank you! I was wondering if you were aware of the whole thing and what your thoughts were — I really appreciate the support and comments!!

3 Dori October 4, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I kept meaning to email you, but my new job has been so busy and I just kept forgetting. But, yeah. I am an avid reader of that site and your responses were just so gracious.

4 Alli October 4, 2011 at 10:20 am

Also commented on HBH but they didn’t have the Backstreet Boys reference. A+

5 Rachel October 4, 2011 at 10:26 am

HA, thank you!

It’s not over there because I wasn’t able to make a graphic for it this morning with the reference — I’ll add it in tonight!

6 Lea @ Healthy Coconut October 4, 2011 at 12:12 pm

You are articulate in the way you respond to criticisms. I like that about you.

You take the emotion out of what people are saying and take the facts and you respond so eloquently. Great job :)

7 Deva @ Deva by Definition October 4, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I am planning to write a post about what I am about to say, but Sorry, I am not sorry: I AM a hipster. And yes, it will be a “Sorry, I’m Not Sorry” post.

8 Rachel October 4, 2011 at 1:15 pm

haha I cannot wait to read it!

9 janetha October 4, 2011 at 1:10 pm

yay! i missed HBH

10 Liz October 4, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Oh dear God, Rachel.

Thank you for linking me to GOMI because I just wasted like two hours that I could have spent eating kale chips and chia seeds reading a thread about someone’s blog that I hate (not gonna name names in case you are friends with her, but I suspect you probably aren’t…)

11 Liz October 4, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Also, your comments in the thread about you? Total win. I am seriously impressed with your ability to take criticism without getting your panties in a twist.

That being said, I miss your more inspirational posts about owning it/being happy/creating the life you want.

Additionally, I love dogs, so more dog posts.

12 [SMASH] October 4, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I just checked out that site for the first time after you linked it here. That site is like the Perez Hilton for bloggers. I stopped reading Perez Hilton and stopped following him on Twitter a loooong time ago — I just don’t need all that negativity in my life for no reason.

Sorry to hear you’re on there. But I think you’re pretty fabulous.

13 Lara October 4, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I’m really impressed by how well you handle criticism (if you want to call it that here). I really suck at it, so I have a great appreciation for that kind of maturity. Love your voice and your blogs.

14 Mel October 4, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Wow – my first time being directed to the GOMI site. I flashbacked straight to the Juicy Campus days of ’07-’08. Having been a topic a few times on that campus gossip site myself, I know how much it sucks to be verbally trashed without sound reasoning. But I think your points on HBH today are dead-on. The best blogs are perhaps those that take some of the meanness aside and find something constructive to work with. You handled it all fantastically and so you know – no matter where your blog takes us (you?) I’m sure a ton of us readers will keep lurking back to see what individualistic touch you bring to that life milestone.

15 Rachel October 5, 2011 at 9:21 am

JUICY CAMPUS!!! AHHHHH God, that was a bad semester of college/Greek life. Do you know I actually taped a segment for 20/20 talking about Juicy Campus and its effect on college students? I totally forgot about that!

16 Kristin October 4, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Well, piss. I was all set to get my ass off the couch and work out, but then I got caught in a gossip whirlwind. Damn you, GOMI (and where have you been all my life)!

17 Kristin October 4, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Also, please tell me the post title is a BSB shout-out.

And awesome job owning up to readers’ criticisms. If more people followed Rule #1, we’d all live in a happier internet.

18 Rachel October 4, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Yes. Yes it was.

19 Brandy @ Let's Grab a Coffee October 5, 2011 at 12:41 pm

So…it all makes sense now…

I don’t read all the comments on blogs I follow, but I do skim them.
Lately a lot of people have been blogging about negativity and how they handle it. There didn’t seem to be a lot of hating going on in the comment sections, so I was really confused as to why everybody was all pissy all of a sudden. Now I know.

Unfortunately, until bloggers invent a way to please everybody, there will always be a place for forums like that.

Love how you confronted them and turned the experience into a positive one.

20 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans October 6, 2011 at 11:58 am

Awesome, awesome, awesome!!! I have tried to address GOMi and the whole notion of criticsm a few times but you just summarized all the eloquent and intelligent thoughts that were naturally in my head but that refused to translate into print. Thank you so much for digging into this issue and reminding us that we all need to take a closer look at what’s actually being said by those so-called “cat ladies”.