Wet Wednesday

by Rachel on October 12, 2011

HUMP DAY Y’ALL!

Here’s what has me all tingly today, in both good and bad ways!

Hot

Girl With Curves. You can thank GWC for today’s eye candy! I’ve been reading her Tumblr for about a month now and love her style and just her pictures. (Is that creepy? Sorry…I’m not sorry.) She’s just stunning!

“All the Single Ladies.” This article in The Atlantic is long and kind of dense — and covers so many things, maybe too many — but it’s worth working through!  A lot of the points were things I had already read in Sex at Dawn and Marriage, a History, but there was a lot of new and fascinating info and food for thought in the article as well. Seriously, there are so many points for discussion in this article; you’ll have conversations starters with your friends and significant other for days!

Puppy class graduation. I’m so excited it’s over; I feel like Eric and I lose two nights a week of doing anything fun together or even just running errands together because of two nights of classes each week. In preparation for tonight’s class — which is going to involve graduation hats, something I can’t say I support — I’ve been working with Chuck every night. Last night it felt like we were cramming for exams. He can do everything but I’m a little concerned about “shake” — it’s the newest trick they learned and it’s his weakest. None of the other dogs in the class really seem to have this one down so I’ve been working with him because, well, I want to feel superior.

Bothered

Allergies. When I tell people I had to miss a day of work last week due to my awful allergies, the first thing they say is, “I didn’t know you had allergies!” Uh, I DIDN’T EITHER. Apparently it’s one of those Texas things I didn’t know about. The problem is that I don’t know how exactly to have allergies. I don’t know what’s causing them (although on Saturday morning, my car was covered in an inch of pollen, so that should tell you something) or how to treat them.

I started out by taking Benadryl at night, when the allergies were the worst. Unfortunately, I took it at like midnight, so the next morning I was pretty much stoned for the first three hours of my day at work. OK…won’t be making that mistake again. I started taking the Benadryl at night around 7 PM and that got me through till the morning. It was still a struggle to get up at 7 AM, but it was a start.

Emily said if I want to take Claritin (the drug name “loratadine” for those of us who buy generics) before bed to make sure it wasn’t a “D” or “non-drowsy”  because that is what would keep me up. I didn’t get “D” but for some reason, probably just the fact that medicine aisles are overwhelming, I did get a non-drowsy…so I decided I’d use that during the day. But then somehow I got confused and thought that was my nighttime one…so then I went and bought some Clairitin-D for daytime. I thought the D was a good idea because the main problem I have is a bad headache (plus really, really itchy ears and watery eyes) and the D is supposed to help with that. It did a half-assed job, which is annoying, considering it costs like $9 for five Walgreens-brand pills and I had to give them my ID like I’m some kind of criminal.

So yesterday I went to the doctor and he recommended Allegra, as had my other friends who understand allergies because they’ve had them for a while. Last night I bought Allegra (D? No D? I can’t even remember at this point, but I think it’s 12-hour D) for daytime. Then I came home and, overwhelmed by my four types of allergy medications and not in the mood to pass out hard from Benadryl, I took the loratadine because for whatever reason, I thought this was my Benadryl alternative. Within a few hours, I was talking really fast, giving the impression I’d just taken four Adderall and washed them down with Red Bull.

So…I didn’t sleep last night. I feel like hell today.

My ears itch.

And I was so out of it this morning from the lack of sleep that I forgot to take the Allegra before I left the house.

THIS IS SOME SHIT, RIGHT HERE.

When I get bothered, I get really bothered.

What’s on your list today?

1 Alli October 12, 2011 at 11:22 am

Dude, tell me about it with allergies — I never suffered seasonal ones (despite growing up in bumplef) until I moved to NYC. Weird!

2 Manon October 12, 2011 at 11:32 am

I used to have horrible problems with allergies when I lived in Austin…..and being back last week, they kicked in again. My friend Kat gave me something that was a super cheap generic of something…..worked like a charm. I’ll find out from her what it was……….

3 Laura Georgina October 12, 2011 at 11:40 am

I am SO SORRY about your allergies. I used to get them only seasonally until–ha!–I moved to a place where it’s permanently the ONE season in which I get them. If the Allegra doesn’t work, just try other meds (the best one for me is Zyrtec–covers indoor and outdoor allergens) and talk to your doctor about going HARD on them; they can give you nasal sprays and eye drops that will make your life 100 times better….

… All of which I can’t have right now! (I’m missing my Nasonex more than I miss wine, and that’s A LOT). So until you get yourself sorted, I’m feeling your itching, watering… and pain.

4 Erin October 12, 2011 at 11:46 am

I’ve had allergies as long as I can remember, and I honestly still don’t know what to do with them. So I can relate. Benadryl makes me so comatose, but is good. I never take it because of the comatose part. Sudafed makes me anxiety-ridden and incredibly bitchy so it is also a no-no.
I often just deal with allergies rather than all the side effects of allergy medicine, but that sucks, too.
I think if you get into a routine of taking the same medicine every day consistently, you’ll be good. It’s a process that somehow eludes me.
That’s my rambling way of saying I commiserate with you and hope you find something that works!
Also, I love girl with curves. Her hair is incredible!

5 Rachel October 12, 2011 at 11:51 am

Gotta love Houston’s weather. As soon as the weather gets somewhat decent, allergies hit! I’ve tried everything (including allergy shots), and the best thing I’ve found so far is Zyrtec. I also use a nasal inhaler sometimes, but I think Zyrtec is awesome. I also vacuum like a maniac, because when I walk my dog, she tracks in pollen. Hope you feel better soon!

6 Malorie October 12, 2011 at 11:51 am

I have bad allergies too. The Zyrtec D generic brand works the best for me and I get bad headaches from allergies too. I took it in the morning and kept some in my purse in case I forgot to take it before work. It says it works for 12 hours but as long as I took it every morning I felt fine. Also I have found that Walgreens is always the most expensive place to buy allergy meds. A 24 pack of the generic Zyrtec D at Wal-Mart and Target is about $14 and it’s $18 at Walgreens. I think Zytec D (even the generic brand) is one of the more expensive ones but totally worth it!

7 Melissa October 12, 2011 at 11:54 am

New to the allergy game over here, too. I had them last fall, but I thought it was just because I was in Virginia where they have mad pollen. But no, here I am back in MI and the allergies are kickin’. Mucinex seems to help a little, but really, it just sucks.

8 Kacy October 12, 2011 at 11:56 am

I take benadryl these days just to try to sleep, but I take two around 5 p.m. so that the hangover is almost worn off when I get off at 7 p.m. This may, however, not be sound advice.
I got on Xyzal when I went to the doctor, which helped in the Midwest, but now that I live on the East Coast I’m screwed again.
Allergies are beyond late.
Hot: Dylan McDermott’s tuckus (re: American Horror Story)
Bothered: My hair. It’s got a stick up its ass this week.

9 Rachel October 12, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Haven’t watched American Horror yet…it’s cued up in the DVR! Along with like 20 other shows…

10 Rachael October 12, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Yes, I love GWC … she’s just stunning. I can’t get over how gorgeous she is. I would skin my face off if there was even a slight promise it would grow back to look like that …

Allergies? Really? I guess in different parts of the country … usually my allergies hit in May.

Hot: I’m seriously obessesed with True Blood, how did I not know about this show before? I’m so loving the dirty south sexiness!
Bothered: Having to deal with my hair after hot yoga everyday …

11 Bridget October 12, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I never had allergies until I moved to Texas! I couldn’t wear my contacts for awhile they were so bad. I totally get what you mean by my ears itch.

Hot: getting hit on at the gym
Bothered: getting hit on at the gym.

I can’t decide if it’s a good thing or a bad thing. One side, I feel flattered and hot. Other side, I just want to work out and not feel awkward for turning him down.

12 Carrie @ No More Tomorrows October 12, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Find some local honey and start using it. You can add it to things you’re drinking/eating, just don’t boil it, that kills the enzymes. The local honey has the stuff in it that is making your allergies flare up. By consuming it, you’ll get your body used to them and you won’t be so bothered anymore. Worked for me. I had allergies for the first time in my life at 25 after I moved to Colorado. Then at 27 I had the worst attack of seasonal allergies. It was horrible. I tried the honey trick and it worked. And I didn’t have to shove my body full of meds, because I don’t take any, so I was just suffering through the mess until someone told me about honey.

Hot: Pinterest and design/creativity pins that I SWEAR I will really use, because I just renewed my lease and decided to make my apt more home-like

Bothered: Boyfriend finding a new place and leaving my place in a week. :-( Not a breakup, staying with me was a temporary thing, but I got comfortable having him there.

13 Rachel's Mom October 16, 2011 at 10:45 am

It’s true about local honey. I bought some honey at the Grand Blanc Farmer’s Market, and the farmer told me the same thing….that since the bees track through the local Grand Blanc pollen, the honey has some of the allergans in it, and helps prevent problems with allergies.

14 Stina October 12, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Someone else mentioned it above, but Xyzal is awesome (but I also live in the Midwest.) It’s one of two remaining perscription strength allergy medicines, and they just released the generic.

My doctor also gave me Optivar which is an allergy eye drop. I don’t used them often, only when my eyes are REALLY itchy and burning, because they somehow drip from my eyes into the back of my throat and down into my stomach giving me a nasty taste in the back of my throat and a stomach ache. When I do use them my eyes feel better almost immediately, and the effects last for quite a while.

15 sabe October 12, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I feel your pain! The ragweed count is “extremely heavy” today (http://www.houstontx.gov/health/Pollen-Mold/).

I moved to Houston in February and have had pretty constant allergies since then. My boss swears by a daily teaspoon of local unrefined honey, as Carrie above commented, but I have yet to see it work for me. Claritin (the generic loratadine) used to work for me, but apparently it stopped working, so I think I’ll try Allegra next. Sudaphed makes me jittery. The Benadryl hangover scares me. Really, I don’t have any advice here … only commiseration!

16 deva @ deva by definition October 12, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Allergies are not nice. Not at all. I use singulair and claritin per my doctor. Singulair is for the asthma, claritin for mostly everything else, and while my ears aren’t itchy right now, one is full of fluid that crackles like rice krispies every time I turn my head. Or sneeze. Which is a lot of typing to say that I sympathize with your allergy-pain.

17 Allison October 12, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Allergies are the worst! I suffer from both seasonal and food allergies. I’ve got to agree with the other commentors that Zyrtec (or the Target off brand that’s cheaper) works wonders! Also, saline nasal spray (only about $1.50 for a bottle) and eye drops can help a ton. Hope you figure out an allergy routine that works for you!

18 Lymie October 12, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Things that are bothering me? I have a heap of Shit that’s bothering me.

1. The weather is triggering my depression. It’s screwing with my thought process and I’m doing the whole “Wish I would die, life is meaningless” drama. Time to see a therapist before it spirals.

2. My brother is here and I don’t feel like I’m relating to him very well. He’s back from Afghanistan on leave, and I haven’t seen him in four years. I feel sad and guilty that this isn’t working out like I had hoped.

3. The only guy I’ve ever slept with that doesn’t treat me like shot is going to Mexico, and I probably won’t get to see him before he leaves. I’m going to ignore my whole… Sleeping with guys to stave off the empty feeling problem, or the really should get tested naggy feeling.

4. I’m in debt. I can’t pay ly bills of budget. I don’t know what to do. I don’t know know where to find help.

That’s what’s bothering me. I feel bad for unloading that.

19 Rachel October 12, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Yikes — I’m sorry you are going through so much! I hope you have someone you can talk to about all of this! My allergy complaints don’t have shit on what’s bothering you.

20 Amy October 12, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Allergies! No matter who you are, it leaves you helpless. What can be done? Just pray!

21 Samantha October 12, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Aahhh, I loved that article and loved that you posted about it! (As a young married woman <—- does that really matter??) I found this article SO interesting. I think about this stuff so much as I confront cultural and personal expectations at this age. I would love to see this topic taken up more often between all women – single, married, and that lovely gray area inbetween.

Best lines eva: "We are far more than whom we are (or aren’t) married to: we are also friends, grandparents, colleagues, cousins, and so on. To ignore the depth and complexities of these networks is to limit the full range of our emotional experiences."

Also, I posted it on Facebook, on which I keep my status blank, cause who the f cares? I've been with my sig other for going on a decade. If you're friends with me you know that. But since I linked to that article I'm prepared for people to be all, 'oooh, I wonder what's up with their marriage?'

Anyway, thanks for the afternoon reading!

22 Sable@SquatLikeALady October 12, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Oh darlin! You might be allergic to cedar. My allergies were never bad living in Mass/CT/RI/etc but when I moved to TX I got the shit knocked out of me in October — I was allergic to cedar and never knew it ‘cuz I’d never been around it *that* much before. Like, literally, I didn’t treat it because I thought it was a virus aaaaaannnnnd three days later I woke up and both my ear drums had ruptured because I was *that* congested. I mean…it’s serious biz-nass in TX. For real.

I hope you feel better!

23 jenna k October 12, 2011 at 6:55 pm

bothered:
– also allergies, but that’s a daily thing for my idiotic body.
– my sleep schedule was thrown off a couple weeks ago during midterms, and i CANNOT get it back to normal. it’s frustrating me SO much, causing me to miss class, and making me incredibly unproductive.

hot:
– i’m completely obsessed with my new iphone that i got yesterday. i’ve never had anything even close to a smartphone, and i ordered the iphone 4 as soon as verizon dropped the prices last week. this is a glorious, glorious device, and i LOVE the fitness apps i’ve downloaded.

24 Katrina October 12, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Girl, me too. I’ve been a crackberry user for 4 years and just switched to iphone. I feel like the kid who went from string and cups to a hand held computer on crack while drinking koolaid. It’s beyond awesome. Enjoy!

25 Rachel October 13, 2011 at 8:29 am

CONGRATS! The iPhone 4 is awesome and I’m super pumped about the new iOS!!

26 Kristin October 12, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I’ve been following your blog for a while now and I absolutely love it. I just read today’s post about your allergy problem. I’m about to finish up pharmacy school and reading about your problems in the allergy aisle made me finally email you :) I would say Allegra-D would be a good choice for you, especially since the Claritin-D didn’t work. I just want to make sure you’re not still taking plain Claritin or Benadryl or plain Allegra on top of the Allegra-D. That’d be a crazy amount of antihistamine coursing through your body. My advice is to take the Allegra-D (I’d get the 24 hr version) first thing in the morning. That way it won’t make you drowsy and shouldn’t keep you up at night because it’ll be wearing off close to bedtime. Depending on which type of Claritin-D you got, you may need Eric to take buy the Allegra-D with his license because you might be at your limit until next week. Anyway, I hope this helped. The OCD pharmacist in me just felt the need to make a recommendation :)
P.S. another treatment that I’ve heard great things about (I haven’t personally tried it yet) is the netti pot to gently rinse out your sinuses and get rid of the allergens that way.

27 Ashley October 12, 2011 at 8:48 pm

seriously,girl. shit. that IS some shit right there. and also hahaha

28 Morgan October 12, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Go to your doctor and ask for Flonase generic! I used to suffer big time from allergies in Houston coming from the open-country air. I did everything you did and was confused as ever. Started using generic flonase and it is a new world. If you call your doctor they may do it over the phone.

29 Morgan October 12, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Oh, and use a sinus cleanse pot with saline solution. You can find those at any drug store/HEB. Like NetiPot or Sinucleanse. Homeopathic and works wonders.

30 Becca October 13, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I second the sinucleanse, neti pot, whatever you want to go with. I don’t use it everyday, but if I wake up stuffy it makes a huge difference! It takes a few tries to master but it’s totally worth it.

31 Katrina October 12, 2011 at 10:29 pm

I’m on day 5 of a freakin 21 day antibiotic to get rid of the sinus infection brought on by allergies to AIR in Alabama. The south sucks during the fall because all kinds of weird crap digs itself out of the hot baked ground and wiggles around everywhere making people sick with their nasty funkness.

Feel better. If you can, I second the doctor visit. They usually have good shots to help with the pressure/face pain from allergies and the generic prescription stuff is usually cheaper than the over the counter stuff that’s not generic form yet for OTC. Flonase is really good.

32 Sarah October 13, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Oh man. When allergies make ears and throat all itchy… that is the worst! At least you can rub your eyes if they start up. I like the Claritin-D in the morning… gets me going and kills the allergies.

Supposedly getting some local honey in your diet, like in tea or something, is supposed to help with allergies. Something about the pollen and local flora. I have never tried it, but the internet and hippies say it works and they wouldn’t lie!

33 Chandra @ShiftC October 13, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I just discovered Girl With Curves two days ago thanks to GOMI! She’s amazingly beautiful!! I’m addicted to her Tumblr!

34 Christine October 14, 2011 at 12:07 am

you NEED Zyrtec. just trust me on this, I live in CA and the allergens (and pollution, ha) are ridiculous here. get Zyrtec or get someone to get you the generic through their insurance for cheaper (I can get 100 pills for $10, way better than Wal-Mart even)

35 Rachel's Mom October 16, 2011 at 10:51 am

Before Preston got his tonsils out last year he took Claritan, Zyrtec, Singulair, and Allegra. I don’t know that any of them really worked that great. I think the Zyrtec was probably the best though, combined with the Singulair….oh, and he had Flonase nasal spray, too.

36 cassie October 16, 2011 at 3:15 pm

love girl with curves.. just discovered her blog a few weeks ago…

37 Kristin October 16, 2011 at 7:27 pm

I also recommend Zyrtec. KY has famously terrible allergies and it always works for me. I went to the doctor for them in college and told them I was taking Claritin (because it’s cheapest) and she basically laughed at me.

38 Abbey October 16, 2011 at 7:34 pm

hi! Claritin takes up to two weeks to build up in your system and work — try Zyrtec for more immediate relief! Good luck!

39 Eszter October 21, 2011 at 11:01 am

Well, i can totally relate to your post as i have seasonal allergies. Ragweed is my greatest enemy. Every year, I keep praying that the last two weeks of August would be over soon (even though I adore summer). I’m from Hungary, and the most popular drugs here are Allegra, Zyrtec and Claritin, you do not need a presciption for Allegra. Anyway, the truth is that none of them help me feel better, so I usually put up with calcium-drinks and heaps of kleenex…