The Life: My Most Awesome Thing

by Rachel on October 14, 2011

There are many small pleasures in this world — check out 1000 Awesome Things if you don’t believe me — but I think my all-time favorite little bit of joy is arriving home and realizing that dinner is waiting for me in the Crock-Pot.

It’s the BEST.

I can know it’s coming, but the joy comes from the fact that I always forget the second I slide my key into the lock, so when I step inside, I’m hit with the smell of just food and home; it never fails to thrill me.

That is what happened to me last night; I put in a little time before work preparing this French onion soup from How Sweet and then I walked in for a huge return on my investment in the form of total delight.

{ 17 comments }

1 Stina October 14, 2011 at 11:06 am

I vote not awesome. I burned the fuck out of my mouth on HowSweetEat’s Crockpot BBQ Beer Chicken on Wednesday, and it still hurts.
Stina´s last post ..319. Habitat for Humanity 5K Race Recap or the Biggest Running Lesson I’ve Learned to DateMy Profile

2 Rachel October 14, 2011 at 11:08 am

Since when did Crock-Pots get food so damn hot?! And this one went under the broiler too which did not help.

3 Jessica @ How Sweet October 14, 2011 at 11:19 am

I’m incredibly impatient and burn my mouth at least 2-3 times a week. Totally worth it.
Jessica @ How Sweet´s last post ..Pan Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Brown Butter and Toasted Pecans.My Profile

4 Cyndie October 14, 2011 at 11:28 am

I loooove my crock pot. I usually work a PM shift at the restaurant and Alex comes home hungry and sometimes waits until 11 pm for dinner (yeah, he’s crazy). but then I discovered how awesome and easy cooking food in the crock pot is! I usually whip up something in there for him or make something that he can just pop in the oven when he gets home.

I feel like that’s such a wife-y thing to say, but whatev!

5 Maggie October 14, 2011 at 11:55 am

“Is burning the fuck out of your mouth on your delicious Crock-Pot creation awesome? I’m undecided.”
That just made me laugh so much.
Maggie´s last post ..does this sumo costume make me look fat?My Profile

6 deva @ deva by definition October 14, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I burn my mouth a lot – I just can’t wait to dig in. We use our crock pot 1-2x a month, but I need to use it more. There’s something so HOMEY about them and how delicious the house smells after a busy day at work. Knowing that all I need to do is heat up some rolls makes it all that much better.
deva @ deva by definition´s last post ..In the MorningMy Profile

7 Alexandra October 14, 2011 at 1:49 pm

I absolutely love walking into a house filled with delicious aromas…definitely on my list of Awesome Things. I bought a crock pot about a year ago (stored it in my closet in NYC) but I’ve still never used it. I have this fear that when I leave it’s going to burn down the house. That’s pretty high up on my list of 1000 Reasons I’m Ridiculous.
Alexandra´s last post ..Bittersweet Endings and Semisweet MorselsMy Profile

8 Stephanie @ LoveLaughterLight October 14, 2011 at 3:24 pm

After the initial sting goes away, it’s totally worth it!!!

9 Ariel October 14, 2011 at 5:22 pm

My mouth is so sensitive, I burn it/my tongue all the time. I can handle spicy heat, but temperature-wise I need things lukewarm.

I have a tumblr where I write down one thing every day that makes me happy (smoresface.tumblr.com). Taking the time every day to reflect on the positive makes me happier in the long term!
Ariel´s last post ..PhotoMy Profile

10 Jamie @ snacktress October 14, 2011 at 8:56 pm

I am OBSESSED with my Crock Pot. Yesterday I made the easiest recipe for chicken and dumplings. I spent the whole day out and about, came home and nearly jizzed my pants because of the smell.
Jamie @ snacktress´s last post ..Fashion Friday.My Profile

11 Emily @ Relishments October 15, 2011 at 5:46 am

I burn my mouth regularly…on Crock Pot and non-Crock Pot items. Apparently I either need to work on my patience or just think before I put things in my mouth.

Anyway, I’ve had a Crock Pot for a couple years, but I haven’t been using it to its full potential. Recently I’ve realized it’s the perfect way to make lunch ahead for the week on Sundays. It worked great last week (I made chili) and hopefully the same holds true this week.
Emily @ Relishments´s last post ..5 Reasons I Love RunningMy Profile

12 [SMASH] October 15, 2011 at 8:55 am

I need a crockpot in my life.

13 Shaun @ snackasaurusrex October 15, 2011 at 8:59 am

Burning of the mouth is not awesome because it hangs around for a few days and distorts the flavor of other food…SUCKS!
Shaun @ snackasaurusrex´s last post ..Two-a-days = CrankysaurusMy Profile

14 [SMASH] October 15, 2011 at 9:03 am

Also loving that 1000 Awesome Things website!

15 Rachel's Mom October 16, 2011 at 10:37 am

I made a roast in the Crock Pot this week. It smelled so yummy when I walked in the door!

16 Liz October 16, 2011 at 6:24 pm

I absolutely love walking into a house full of delicious aromas…definitely in my set of Awesome Things. I got myself a slow cooker in regards to a year ago. That’s pretty high up on my set of 1000 Reasons I’m Ridiculous.
Liz´s last post ..How to Make Him Fall in Love With YouMy Profile

17 Rachel October 17, 2011 at 10:09 am

“1000 Reasons I’m Ridiculous” — HA.