You Break It, You Buy It

by Rachel on November 1, 2011

Halloween costume success!

rachel and eric halloween

My mom and I went back and forth a lot on how to make Eric’s and my Halloween costumes this year because she and I had very different visions. I originally imagined a pretty pink and white dress with a stiff skirt, almost like a tutu. Over that, I imagined two black velvet-covered shelves stacked with assorted china going all the way around my body (one at my waist, one at my chest), almost like pool inner tubes. My mom imagined rectangular shelves that would hang over my shoulders and just be on the front of my body, similar to Eric’s truck costume last year.

Apparently, my vision was just beyond the realm of possible (according to her) and her vision was just not going to be flattering (according to me).

We actually went back and forth on Eric’s costume too. She texted me a few weeks ago and said she was going to make it out of a black hooded sweatshirt and black sweatpants. Eric looked crushed. I was appalled.

“We don’t make costumes out of sweats in this family,” I told her.

“I just didn’t think he’d want to wear a one-piece costume like a little kid,” she said.

“Well, that’s where you’re wrong!” I said.

She agreed to make his costume from scratch, only because the jumpsuit would be pretty easy to make. She still refused to make me a dress, and agreed to pay for the leotard and tutu that would go under my shelves.

By last week, I was really concerned about our costumes. She hadn’t started either yet. I didn’t ever really love the idea of wearing a white tutu (talk about not flattering…all white spandex?!) and I was worried about how the shelves were going to look. I tried unsuccessfully to convince Eric to be the china shop, so he could wear the unflattering shelves and I could wear a sexy black dress and big-ass horns, but he didn’t go for it. So last Monday night, I suggested we go back to another idea I had considered riginally: attaching the china directly to the costume. The problem with this is that the china would be heavy, but I suggested we look for dollhouse china instead.

And because the shelves were going to be black velvet, I decided that it would be OK if instead of wearing all white, looking like a delicate little teacup, I’d wear black, looking more like a fancy display.

Here are some pictures of the finished product!

bull and a china shop

Like all of the costumes my mom makes, these costumes were all about the details! Eric’s costume had a cowbell, a nose ring, and, best, a brand on the flank. I had wanted her to brand him but forgot to tell her; of course she thought to do it and went ahead and branded him with my initials.

I was able to find a French maid costume (fun fact: I told my mom I wanted to be a French maid every year for Halloween starting when I was five years old) that wasn’t as heinous/trashy/cheap as a lot of the store-bought costumes. Friday night, we ripped the cameos off the bows and my grandma sewed on the teacups there. Then they used hot glue to attach the saucers at the waist and the dollhouse china around the neckline.

My mom had the idea to make a teacup headpiece and I had the idea to wear a sign that said “You break it, you buy it,” so she put both on a headband.

I’m totally amazed at how these costumes turned out given the distance and the time crunch! This Halloween was definitely different than any Halloween before it, but it ended up being really fun…and I’m already thinking about what to do next year.

How was your Halloween?

1 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat November 1, 2011 at 11:00 am

So creative without looking home-made… great costumes!

2 Alexandra November 1, 2011 at 11:05 am

Your costumes turned out amazing! I love the fact that each year you guys step outside the box and create interesting Halloween costumes. I’m already looking forward to what you’ll come up with for next year! ;)

3 Dori November 1, 2011 at 11:05 am

You look HOT. And so pretty with your hair! I really love the china on you. Your mom is incredible and this was such a clever idea!

4 Deva @ Deva by Definition November 1, 2011 at 11:10 am

You look amazing! I love the dollhouse china on your costume – such a great idea.

We didn’t do much for Halloween this year, things are a little on the crazy side in my world right now and we don’t get many/any trick-or-treaters so we decided to chill. We didn’t even buy candy!

5 nikkiana November 1, 2011 at 11:38 am

Your costumes came out so cute! I didn’t really end up doing anything special for Halloween. Went out to dinner with a friend and watched the kids from the neighborhood come into the restaurant to get their treats, so that was kinda fun… but I didn’t dress this year.

6 Caity November 1, 2011 at 11:42 am

Oh wow, so cute!

I was horribly disappointed with my costume(s) this year, the one I wanted just didn’t come together and I was utterly miserable in the one that I ended up wearing. Next year I’m planning in advance and it’s going to be good. Thanks for the motivation! :)

7 Cyndie November 1, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Your Halloween costumes are AWESOME. I love it when people make their own and you can tell they put a lot of work into it.

Halloween was so weird this year! I was going to comment on your last post because I totally agree that Halloween happened over the weekend. Unfortunately I’ve been working late every night since Thursday, so I didn’t do anything. The restaurant where I waitress let us dress up and hand out candy to all the little kids coming in last night , though, so that was cute.

8 Nicole @ Giraffelegs November 1, 2011 at 1:59 pm

This is by far the best costume I have seen this year, the pike boys dressing as kappas was a close second..what assholes.

9 Katie November 1, 2011 at 2:30 pm

This is absolutely awesome! I love the headband and the brand. Such great details!

10 [SMASH] November 1, 2011 at 3:07 pm

This turned out so great, as usual! Your mom rocks!

11 Brittney November 1, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Wow, those are really great costumes!! Excellent originality!

12 Hannah November 1, 2011 at 3:39 pm

What a cool idea! I especially like the headband, it just adds to the whole thing!

13 cindylu November 1, 2011 at 4:13 pm

The costumes came out great.
I usually get help from my mom too as she’s got the sewing skills and more crafting supplies. All I used this year was her hot glue gun, but my costume was super easy to put together.

14 Samantha M. November 1, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Love that you “branded” your man! So cute! Next year, I’m hoping to convince The Hubs to go as a City Mouse/ Country Mouse (with me being the sexy, sophisticated “City Mouse”, of course).

15 Jess-The SemiAbnormal Gal November 1, 2011 at 6:58 pm

So, it’s official: you, your Mom and your Grandma are amazing! I’m not usually into “couple costumes” but you and Eric have it it out of the park two years in a row! Bravo!

16 sbg November 1, 2011 at 10:22 pm

So cute!

17 Julia H. @ The Petite Spiel November 2, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Haha, nice!–Eric looks hysterical.

I love getting crafty with costumes (maybe because I’m too cheap to actually buy costumes, but also because it’s just way more fun). That’s how you get the best costumes!