The Life: November Goals

by Rachel on November 2, 2011

As I said last month, I’ve just been letting things slide around the apartment, and it was making me feel gross, so my October goal was to stop being lazy. My mini-goals included things like putting clean laundry away and wearing real clothes (i.e. not yoga pants) to work, responding to e-mails faster, doing the dishes right after meals, and cooking more on weekends. I also really wanted to spend some time cleaning out my closet. Apparently I’m not the only one who needed to work on this because a lot of you said you had been slacking in this area too.

Well, good news: I pulled it together!

The biggest thing I did was clean and organize my closet. My closet was absolutely out of control; I felt like a surly teenager who just throws her clothes everywhere. I couldn’t tell what was clean and what was dirty, so, as a result, everything felt dirty. So one Saturday morning in October, I organized, did laundry, ironed, folded, and put away clothes like a maniac, while listening to Dan Savage talk about infidelity, HPV, and all sorts of other fun topics. Now it looks like the closet of an adult who has her life together. Once my closet was clean, it was much easier to put away my laundry, wear real clothes to work, and just feel a bit more on top of my life. I also cooked almost every weekend was really nice; I hadn’t been making a lot of new recipes, but this month, I made several new recipes and I didn’t eat out or waste food nearly as often as I had been.

While there is still room for improvement — I didn’t pack my lunch at night as often as I could or respond to e-mails as fast as I had intended — I feel pretty good about this goal and I feel like I’m back in the habit of being an adult.

So..November!

November is a month that has really grown on me and I have a lot of things to be excited about this month. My aunt Kara is coming for a visit next week and then it’s Thanksgiving, which I’m really looking forward to!

My November goal is actually  a workout goal. I am not buying an unlimited yoga membership this month (I spent that money in Chicago!) so instead I’m going to have to get creative with studio workouts and home workouts. I have two daily deal coupons to use at different studios in town, but I don’t want to blow through the classes too quickly so I’ll have to supplement those classes with at-home workouts. My goal this month is:

• Go to a yoga class at least once a week
  • Go to a class at Define at least once a week
  • Run outside at least twice per week

UGH, running! But it’s free and we finally have running weather in Houston, so I’ll do it for a little while.

How did you do on your October goals? Any November goals to share??

1 Megan C. November 2, 2011 at 11:32 am

My goals for November are
~ to walk two to three times a week
~ take a yoga class once a week
~ lift weights once a week
~ only eat 2-3 meals out
~ to get my house back under control
~ do my Bible study daily instead of smooshing it into one day

2 Liz November 2, 2011 at 11:51 am

I am glad to hear about another adult that faced the closet issue. I am currently in the same boat and it’s awful!

My November Goals:

1. Clean out my closet and organize the clothes that need to be donated/mended/etc (and then go shopping to fill some of the gaps)
2. Weight lift 2x per week following the New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women plan
3. Do one long yoga session a week (class or at home) and at least 2 shorter sessions
4. Meditate every day for at least 15 minutes
5. I’m participating in National Novel Writing Month and trying to hit 50,000 words by the end of November. I’ve never written more than a short story and haven’t done creative writing in YEARS, so we’ll see. :)

3 Alicia from Poise in Parma November 2, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I didn’t formally keep up my daily “one minute of meditation” challenge very well, but I spent plenty of time in savasana at yoga, so I think it balanced out!

This month’s goal is to not let the pending stress of the holiday season get to me. And to not eat my weight in pumpkin ice cream.

4 Rachel November 2, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Love your goals Rach. It’s great that you are making time to workout, but in a realistic, budgeting kind of way. That’s my style!

5 Samantha M. November 2, 2011 at 1:20 pm

My goals are to get my pantry cleaned (it’s a disaster), AND get back on my “healthy lifestyle change”. I was doing great for 2 months, then fell off the wagon hard the last few weeks; to get back on track, I’m going to give Zumba a try and get back to watching what I eat. =)

6 Nicole @ Giraffelegs November 2, 2011 at 1:26 pm

My november goals:

Do not drop out.
Try and have fun.

Impossible. =)

7 MelissaNibbles November 2, 2011 at 1:29 pm

My goal is to try to be less of a hermit. I’ve been a shut it the last few months. I don’t have money to go out a lot right now, so I’m challenging myself to find free things to do with friends.

8 Bridget November 2, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I just went and bought a new Fit Book after reading this post. I was waiting for Christmas in hopes that Santa (aka mom) brings me one. Then I realized….that’s dumb.

My Big Goal is to find a job this month. However, alot of that is out of my hands. So I’m going to do something proactive that I’ve never done before every day towards finding a job.

9 [SMASH] November 2, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Good for you! Yeah the weather outside is pretty ideal for running, and you’re probably even a smidge warmer in Houston than I am in Dallas. I have a few thinsg I need to accomplish this month:

1- Clean out our closet.
2- Not catch my boyfriend’s cold.
3- Get my fitness on more times than not.
4- Enjoy Thanksgiving.
5- Start Christmas shopping.

10 Laura @ Fit For Life November 2, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Yeah! My November goal is workout related too! My goal is to make it a priority to work out more on the weekends.

And you’re so right when you say that it’s easier to put away clean clothes when you have them all organized. Not sure why that is, but it’s definitely true!

11 Kyle November 2, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Good job following through your October goals! I have a fitness challenge for November as well – I think I’m attaching the entry here if I figured out how to do this right.

12 Julia H. @ The Petite Spiel November 2, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I got a little confused when I first read your goal to run outside. My mind was saying “Is she crazy?! It’s going to be FREEZING outside!” And then I remembered you live in Houston, not NY like me. Lucky, lucky girl. Enjoy!

13 Angie November 2, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Love this post. I’ve been ranting on twitter about why in the world are people even writing about Kim’s “divorce”? Why do people care?? I love celebrity gossip as much as the next person, but COME ON. People are “hurt” she got divorced because they feel duped?? People are “offended” she got divorced? I’m only offended in the same sense that you are – why can idiots like her and mouth-breather get married, but my friendly neighborhood gays who love like no one I’ve ever seen cannot? So ridiculous. Also, on a happier note, I’m halfway through Mindy’s book and I LOVE IT. I loved her before but I love her even more now. She is inspiring me to write more…and be funnier, but that’s probably not going to happen, so I’ll at least seek out more comedy to watch.

My goal this month is to clean out my closet and let go of some college t-shirts that I’m having trouble parting with. I also want to finally start a novel….just start, nothing crazy. 50,000 words…pssh. I also want to do 10 spin classes. Yay!

14 Deva @ Deva by Definition November 2, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Awesome goals , especially running outside – it’s been chilly here! I was inspired by this post to write a goals post of my own – our November and December are going to be CRAZY and I know without concrete goals it’ll just get crazier for me.

15 Rachel November 3, 2011 at 9:33 am

I’m so glad you decided to write goals!! Love the pumpkin pie one PS!

16 Natalie November 3, 2011 at 11:35 am

1. Counting my thanks
2. Still attempting to complete my “get it together” goal for October – but I’ve set aside 3 full days to do this starting Friday!)
3. Blog 12 times this month
4. Work out 4 times a week (the pre-holiday dazzle!)

17 Savannah November 3, 2011 at 12:32 pm

November Goals:
1. Actually blog (umm yeah…)
2. Clean out closets before my birthday on Nov. 17th.
3. Get back to weekly meal planning
4. Wear more makeup (if a makeup artist doesn’t wear makeup, how will people know what she does)
5. Participate in more makeup challenges (and blog about them, lol)
6. Stick to my workout schedule