Wet Wednesday

by Rachel on November 2, 2011

It’s the first Wet Wednesday in November and there is just so much to be hot and bothered about today!

Hot

Southwestern soup & apple cider margaritas. OK, this? Is an awesome 20-minute dinner. It feels so fancy! Leah has been telling me to make this 15-minute Southwestern soup for a few weeks and I finally got the supplies. While I was at it, I bought the apple cider necessary for Jessica’s apple cider margs. I had no intention of making them together but then last night, I thought…Why not? Seems kinda perfect to me! And oh…it was.

The margarita…well, first, you can barely taste the alcohol. It’s got a warm and sweet flavor; it’s not sour like a lot of margaritas are. And the cinnamon sugar rim job is just out of this world! Mrs. How Sweet is officially the Margarita Whisperer. As for the soup, it’s unlike any other soup I can think of. It’s not tortilla soup, it’s not chicken chili…it’s just something else entirely and it’s so good! Both had such minimal ingredients and were crazy simple to make — seriously, 20 minutes — but the whole meal (along with some tortilla chips and guacamole) felt like it took a considerable amount of effort. I love food like that! I had leftover soup for lunch today and I’m currently using up some more of that apple cider in my margarita.

Mindy Kaling’s Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns). Mindy Kaling is my hero. No joke — I really look up to her. It’s not very often that I pre-order a book, but I ordered this one last month because I was so excited about it. For some reason, I thought it came out November 11, so I was really excited when it showed up on my Kindle at midnight on Monday. It was like finding $5 in your pocket! (I mean, I assume that is what it was like…I tend to never carry cash and what can $5 honestly buy these days?) I’m starting it tomorrow night but I couldn’t be more excited. If you aren’t aware of what a great writer Mindy Kaling is just from watching “The Office,” please read some recent wonderful articles by her: Why You Need a Man, Not a Boy and Flick Chicks.

Big-ass tattoos. I’m still wearing a huge temporary tattoo of a rose on my arm from my Beckinfield Halloween video and I’m kinda into it! I don’t plan on getting another tattoo any time soon (OK, for a couple years) and if/when I do, it won’t be this big or even in that spot, but this makes me want really another one…that big and in that spot. It’s kinda sexy!

Bothered

Kim Kardashian’s “divorce.” (I’m calling it a “divorce” because I refuse to acknowledge their “marriage” as legit.) Is anyone not annoyed by this? Probably not. I’m hesitant to even bring it up because she doesn’t need any more attention at this point, but I’d just like to make this EXHIBIT A in Rachel Wilkerson v. Anti-gay Marriage People Who Get on a High Horse About ‘Preserving the Sanctity of Marriage’. Seriously, this spoiled, stupid fame whore who everyone calls “business-savvy” and “hard working” because she turned her sex tape into a billion-dollar enterprise has now said, “Oops! OMG JK, we tried!!” after 72 days of marriage and expects people to just forgive that? And, OK, if she really is that business-savvy, please explain to me how this is good for business?! If there was anyone out there taking her seriously before, I cannot imagine they will now. This whole thing just makes me sad and angry for humanity. And “marriage defenders”? Please put more effort into banning people in Hollywood from getting married and let the two God-fearing dudes who have been together for 20 years just make it official already.

I think I had some more things for the Bothered list but now I’m seriously so pissed off about this “marriage” and “divorce” that I think I need to just quit now.

What’s on your list today?

{ 24 comments }

1 jenna k November 2, 2011 at 7:50 pm

i made those margs this weekend, and i don’t even like tequila. so. good.

about kim k, the only thing i can really think of via the timing of the split is that they were worried about low ratings for kim and kourtney take new york. i adore kourtney, so i was excited about it anyway, but i have to admit that i’m even more curious about the kim/kris part of the show now.

2 Dori November 2, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Im in the middle of Mindy Kaling’s book now, loving it. You will too.
Dori´s last post ..Marathon Week Is Here — Now I Tell You The Hard PartsMy Profile

3 Brandi @ The Vitamin Bee November 2, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Hot: The 30 books I accidentally downloaded to my kindle. I’m so excited to read them all.

Bothered: Ugh I’m so deeply disgusted by KK’s fake marriage and divorce. First, I detest the woman already and I was mad that I was subjected to the nonsense of the marriage in the first place. Now this?! They’re claiming that she didn’t make any money off of the wedding. Bullshit. And her fam and sisters are saying that this is a “difficult time” for her. Um, having a 10 million dollar party, wearing a 20 carat ring, faking a marriage, and then divorcing less than three months later is not a hard time. People who can’t feed themselves, people with cancer, people who are unemployed are having a difficult time. Sit down Kim.
Brandi @ The Vitamin Bee´s last post ..Ten Things TuesdayMy Profile

4 Maggie November 2, 2011 at 8:18 pm

I SO agree! This Kardashian malarky has disgusted me since its inception (and I definitely have a taste for the low brow!) and this latest farce is just repellent. Marriage is not a joke. Just ask the people that are barred from the institution.
Maggie´s last post ..little factsMy Profile

5 Cyndie November 2, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I am super bothered by Kim & Kris’ divorce. I can’t even finish watching THE WEDDING, even though it’s been playing on E! continuously, because I’m so upset. But honestly, I have to admit it’s because I SERIOUSLY believed that Kris was good for Kim. I know, I know…but I can’t help but care about these people and feel really bad for Kris now. WTF KIM.

I seriioussssly want to make those cider margaritas. Tequila is about the only liquor I can handle lately.

And that tat IS super hot :)
Cyndie´s last post ..vegas, baby.My Profile

6 Felicia November 2, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Bothered: I feel bad for Kris. I actually liked him even though he came off as a douche sometimes, but that’s just because he didn’t give an eff about her whiney butt ($75,000 earrings?!?! wtf) behavior. Sure, he loved her or he wouldn’t have gone through with the show, interviews, paparazzi (what guy would want to willingly go through that humiliation in the locker room later?)… My opinion is Kim got sick of Kris telling her like it is (she’s stuck up, that no one’s going to care about her soon, she needs to get over herself, etc…) so she marched herself down the courthouse to divorce him BEFORE he divorced her. She’s STILL thinking about what people think of her, how much money she can make, and the career she’s *so* proud of and worked so hard for. She even tweeted about her clothing line the same day she filed for divorce (seriously – bc if I was getting divorced I’d be in a corner crying my eyes out). She needs to get a life and stop being obsessed with fame. And Kris, I hope he realizes he can get an intelligent and beautiful woman that won’t put him through all that crud Kim did.

Reason why Khloe and Lamar’s quickie marriage has lasted this long? Because Khloe doesn’t let her career get in between the relationship she has with her husband. She didn’t think for days if whether she should change her name or not. She didn’t constantly fight with him over table arrangements the days before their wedding.
Felicia´s last post ..Songs I LoveMy Profile

7 Rachel November 3, 2011 at 9:35 am

I almost said this in the post but this confirmed it — Is it just me or do Khloe and Lamar seem like the real deal even though they had a quickie marriage?! Maybe it’s just that I WANT them to work out because I want them to have lots of mixed-race babies…

8 Mel November 2, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Eh, I only feel bad for Kris because of the lockout. What a waste of his contract year!

9 Julia H. @ The Petite Spiel November 2, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Keep us posted on how you like the book! I love Mindy Kaling (and “The Office”), and have actually been considering reading her book. I have this weird thing about books written by celebrities, though, where I just feel like they won’t be good. Surely this won’t apply to Mindy Kaling, though–she’s just too great. Hope you enjoy it!
Julia H. @ The Petite Spiel´s last post ..the holidays are coming, a new year is comingMy Profile

10 [SMASH] November 3, 2011 at 8:21 am

That marg looks good… Tequila sounds perfect with those flavors. YUM. I definitely want a tattoo there, too. Boyfriend has one there now [a huge one!] and I’ve always loved it. And I’m picking up Mindy’s book this weekend for sure!

But now, Kim K… *shakes head* She’s not even worth trying to talk about… Because that’s exactly what her and her team wants.

11 Alli November 3, 2011 at 8:33 am

I never get political on my Facebook since I’m friends with, like, my mom, but I posted an EPIC rant about KK’s divorce and how omg we can’t let gays marry because THAT is what will ruin the sanctity of marriage. And wouldn’t you know….my mom “liked” it!

It’s funny about Mindy’s (since we’re obviously on a first name basis) book – normally I have no qualms about finding my online books/music/movies through…alternative channels, but I couldn’t even do that with her because it was like stealing from a friend. And I’m loving her book even more than Tina Fey’s, which is saying something.
Alli´s last post ..Candy Corn CookiesMy Profile

12 Katie @ livehalffull November 3, 2011 at 9:04 am

I have been debating those margaritas since I saw them on How Sweet Eats! You sold me!

Also, I can’t help but follow the “marriage” drama. Its an s&%t show I cannot look away from! I like your use of the word. I agree it was not a real marriage. Really marriage takes work and throwing in the towel after 72 days? Ugh! Still entertaining…

13 Angie N November 3, 2011 at 9:44 am

I cannot believe until this very moment I have not read any of Mindy Kaling’s other stuff. I just read Why you need a man and Flick Chicks.

I feel like my life just changed for the better. Thanks for the intro!
Angie N´s last post ..Android vs. iPhoneMy Profile

14 Carrie @ No More Tomorrows November 3, 2011 at 10:07 am

After the divorce and Justin Bieber maybe baby daddy situation, I ranted on my facebook something about pondering what makes celebrities any different than Jerry Springer guests other than good genes. Truly, why are these people filthy frickin rich and total train wrecks?

I also made the point about getting to vote on everyone’s marriages. Because I agree with you. We should defend the sanctity of marriage, but only in the instance of homosexuals wanting to marry.

Makes total sense.

I’m bothered by people in general lately. Bothered indeed.

And hot about myself, and my refocus to start moving my ass again. Very hot and proud.
Carrie @ No More Tomorrows´s last post ..Be Your Own HeroMy Profile

15 Savannah November 3, 2011 at 12:25 pm

And I can’t get married to the woman that I have known for 10 years and been romantically partnered with for 3 cuz why? People (esp. celebs) who are married for like 10 seconds and then get divorced or get their marriages annulled don’t know how luck they’ve got it. Me and my Lady are even considering moving out of Cali (where we both have lived most of our lives) to another state where same sex marriage is legal. Totally disgusted.

On a happier note, definitely going to read Mindy’s book and try out those margaritas…maybe together. Thanks for the great recs Rachel!

16 Carrie @ No More Tomorrows November 3, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I hadn’t followed up on the issue in Cali. I thought the judge had overturned Prop 8 since it was unconstitutional. I just looked it up and I was wrong. :-/

I am so sickened at the idea that you would have to move to another state just to have something that is rightfully yours. What business did the government have ever stepping into a personal matter in the first place. It’s infuriating and I could go on a rant forever about it. I won’t. I’m sorry that your rights are not being protected. It is my sincere hope that one day soon you’ll be able to have your day with your lady and, in whatever fashion you choose, make your commitment legal and accepted.
Carrie @ No More Tomorrows´s last post ..Be Your Own HeroMy Profile

17 MelissaNibbles November 3, 2011 at 12:45 pm

You said everything I feel about Kim K so that’s that. Also, Mindy Kaling’s book is hilarious. I already finished it!

18 Hannah November 3, 2011 at 12:56 pm

I’m currently lovin’ some pumpkin bread lately.
As for Kim Kardashian? Can she just… go away? Does anyone really care about her? Or have they ever?
Hannah´s last post ..Goin’ To Meetings, Things, and SuchMy Profile

19 Cait @ Cait hates Cake November 3, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Ugh! I hear ya! The whole Kim K. marriage thing pisses me off to no end because it’s just a huge slap in the face to all of the actually in-love, long-term, committed couples that aren’t allowed to get married. Don’t even get me started on the “in defense of marriage” wackos. Those people are just so sadly pathetic…
Cait @ Cait hates Cake´s last post ..Batdog!My Profile

20 Bria November 3, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Thanks for putting me on to those recipes. Adding them to the list. :-)

As for the K “marriage,” I agree, it’s icky. But I wonder if she really IS looking for people to take her more seriously, or if that’s just an act. Because it looks to me like she makes tons of bank out of people not taking her seriously. Hmpf.

21 Kristin November 3, 2011 at 11:05 pm

I couldn’t agree more about the Kim K “marriage” thing. Seriously, over half of marriages between heterosexual couples end in divorce. It’s not like we’ve mastered the great art of marriage and have the right to tell others they can’t have the same right.
Kristin´s last post ..1st wyoming workoutMy Profile

22 Caity November 4, 2011 at 8:40 am

Love love love bothered. You are so unbelievably right!
Caity´s last post ..San SebastianMy Profile

23 Parita @ myinnershakti November 4, 2011 at 3:00 pm

You are NOT the only one bothered by Kim K’s “divorce.” The fact that it’s gotten so much attention makes my blood BOIL! Enough already…who gives two sh***!!!!!!!!
Parita @ myinnershakti´s last post ..Interest in PinterestMy Profile

24 Dori December 28, 2011 at 9:48 pm

I will be making the apple cider margaritas on NYE!
Dori´s last post ..A Long Winded Explanation of My 2012 Workout GoalsMy Profile