The Life: Some Thoughts on Thanksgiving

by Rachel on November 19, 2011

I’m really happy it’s the weekend, but honestly, I just want the weekend to be over because I’m really looking forward to my road trip on Wednesday with Eric and the dogs to Wichita, where I’m spending Thanksgiving again this year.

I never really liked Thanksgiving. Maybe it’s because my family is ridiculous during holidays, or maybe it’s because none of the food really thrills me, but yeah…it’s just never been my thing. While it’s a good idea to have a holiday between Halloween and Christmas, I always kind of thought of Thanksgiving as a white guilt holiday that isn’t even associated with fun decor. Like…why bother?

But this year…I’m actually excited. I’m excited to take a 10-hour road trip to Kansas and hang out with Eric’s family, to make Jess’s grown-up hot chocolate with homemade Bailey’s marshmallows, and to wear my new sweater from Anthropolgie every single day.

I think I’m so excited for Thanksgiving this year because last year was so much fun.There was a 10-hour road trip. Cold weather. A family watching football. And I shot a potato gun.

This year should be even better. First, I won’t be as nervous as I was last year. Last year was my first time meeting Eric’s family and I had no idea what to expect. (His grandpa handed him a condom after dinner on Thanksgiving. Definitely wasn’t expecting that!) But since I pretty much decided during our trip to the Ozarks that I like Eric’s mom and aunt better than I like him, I’m really, really looking forward to hanging out with them. I’m also excited because instead of shooting a potato gun, this year, I might be shooting a real gun. (Fingers crossed!)

Anyway, whether you love or hate Thanksgiving, here are some of my posts on Thanksgiving from the past couple years:

How My Family Does Thanksgiving

How to Host a Fake Holiday

Why You Should Wear Jeans on Thanksgiving

How to Stop Licking the Beaters

A Holiday is One Day

What to Cook Your Boyfriend’s Family for Breakfast (Hint: it’s baked pumpkin French toast)

The Most Important Thing You’ll Eat on Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving Recipe Round-Up

It also occurred to me last night that since Black Friday is next week, I should probably decide what Christmas gifts I’m getting people, so I’ll know if I need to take part in anything that looks like this.

Just kidding…I buy pretty much everything from Amazon when I get my last paycheck before Christmas. If I’m up at 4 AM on Black Friday, it will simply be to finance my Christmas shopping by selling Krispy Kreme donuts and coffee to the desperate people in line at Target at a wildly-inflated price.

Important questions to discuss:

1. Are you a fan of Thanksgiving?

2. What are your plans for this year?

3. Are you going to slide tackle a soccer mom at Target in an effort to get a $5 DVD player? (No judgments!)

{ 23 comments }

1 Amy November 19, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Ahhhh where did you get those boots? Love them! And are those brown leggings in the first picture?

1. Love Thanksgiving. This goes along with loving eating though.
2. Mother-in-law’s house tomorrow, step-aunt-in-law’s house Thursday. Spending the night with my mom Thursday night. I have a confusing family.
3. No shopping on Friday planned yet, unless I can find out where to get those boots! ;)

2 Rachel November 19, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Thank you! So, the boots are Steve Madden and I love them more than anything I own, seriously. They are really old though. My best friend bought them in 2006 and when I saw her wearing them in 2007, I scoured the darkest corners of the internet until I found them in my size. In hindsight, I wish I had bought a second pair, because I constantly worry something will happen to them! Oh and the leggings are black, from Lululemon.

PS I have a super-confusing family too!

3 Amy November 19, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Thank you! I guess I’ll have to look for something similar then. :) Have a great Thanksgiving!
Amy´s last post ..Ode to a FriendMy Profile

4 Samantha M. November 19, 2011 at 4:41 pm

I started liking Thanksgiving once I started hosting it – before that my feelings were similar to yours. Something about controlling it and being the one entertaining my loved ones now makes it one of my favorite holidays. =) I will admit, though, that I have the best of both worlds – I spend the actual Turkey Day with my parents, and host for my in-laws the following weekend because my MIL always works the actual day. =)

I literally LOL’d at your idea about selling coffee and donuts to the Black Friday shoppers – then told The Hubs, who started plotting. God dammit.
Samantha M.´s last post ..Product Review: My Memories Digital Scrapbooking SoftwareMy Profile

5 Mary (A Merry Life) November 19, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving in Kansas!

My family has always been ridiculous on Thanksgiving too, but this year no one is celebrating together and we are all doing our own things and it’s a bit sad. Oh well. Such is life as a grown up. Maybe I’ll just cook a turkey breast and eat a sweet potato and call it a day.
Mary (A Merry Life)´s last post ..Setting Up For SuccessMy Profile

6 Jenn November 20, 2011 at 2:30 am

The Thanksgiving jeans post is a classic!

7 Rachel November 20, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Thanks! And also…HELLO STRANGER!

8 Ellen November 20, 2011 at 11:56 am

I’ve never been a Thanksgiving person…mostly because my family is crazy and the day never seems to go off smoothly. However this year I’m flying to SF to spend time with my Dad’s family who’ve I’ve never spent T-day with. Added bonus of seeing my Dad and brothers since I moved to WICHITA for my SO about three months ago. It really cracks me up that you’ll be in my new home city for the holidays. If you ever have a moment where you want to scamper off and have a fabulous family free moment check out Tanya’s Soup Kitchen!

P.S. Love that sweater!

9 Rachel November 20, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I wasn’t a Thanksgiving person for the same reason! Maybe mixing it up and spending the holiday with a different group will help though…it worked for me!

How are you liking Wichita so far?? Bummer that you won’t be there when I am!!

P.S. Thanks!!

10 Ellen November 20, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I think it’ll be better though I think I’m a little weird about holidays, I love the time before and right after Thanksgiving and Christmas with all the planning, decorating, dessert making and (after) leftover eating. But the big days have never been my favorite.
I like Wichita but it is very, very different from Portland, OR where I’m from. Sometimes my SO likes to say things like “Look what a beautiful clear day it is here, sure glad it isn’t drizzly”…my usual response is “I’d like it to rain.” I know, so overly stereotypical. Seeing as most people here, if they know anything about Portland (which is RARE), respond with some quip along the lines of: “Doesn’t it rain a lot there?”

….That was a bit of a rant. But other than that I like it here, the SO makes it worth it and we have a beautiful home. Serious bummer! Though it makes me happy that such a cool person is visiting Wichita. :]

11 Jane November 20, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I’m not a Thanksgiving person. I have all sorts of dietary restrictions due to a medical condition and the food is mostly things I can’t eat, and my family fights a lot. I moved from Detroit to Atlanta in August and I can’t afford the plane ticket, time, or sanity to fly back, so this’ll be the first Thanksgiving I spend by myself as an adult, or something. I’m running a half marathon in the morning, then eating Thanksgiving dinner with some people from my department and their families. That should be fun, because at least there’ll be less fighting and I can leave when I’m no longer having fun. (It’s hard to do that with the family.)

12 Sable@SquatLikeALady November 20, 2011 at 2:13 pm

JUST as I am about to walk out the door desperately seeking flattering Thanksgiving attire… I see this! HAHA! The timing could not be better and you have TOTALLY given me an idea — I have knee-high brown boots similar to those (but not quite, because I bought them at Old Navy and they are cheap and not two-tone like yours) and black leggings and now I know what I’m looking for — a long brown sweater :) YAY.

I am really not a Thanksgiving person at all. Even before I was a vegetarian I never liked turkey. But it’s cool because this year I get to bring an ‘alternate side’ and I am bringing veggie burgers. LOL

13 Deva @ Deva by Definition November 20, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Love the sweater and leggings! I need to find a long sweater or three to pair with my one pair of comfy leggings. I have ONE tunic-length sweater… I may pull it out for Christmas (it was sixty degrees here today).

1. I like the food, but drama in recent (recenter- not last) years has me ambivalent about the holiday itself.
2. With my parents and mom’s parents and sister. There will probably be beer and lots of giggling at some point. Thursday night. I am okay with this.
3. Probably not. I’ll be slide-tackling for furniture.
Deva @ Deva by Definition´s last post ..I did it OrMy First 5kMy Profile

14 Jess-The SemiAbnormal Gal November 20, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I too am not a fan of T-day. My extended family is a nightmare, I despise turkey and I just don’t “get” Black Friday. But, I get 3 days off work and even if I’m not thankful for the food or most of the company, I’ll just block that stuff out and remember to be glad for all the good things I do have in my life. Just keep that drumstick to yourself, ok?
Jess-The SemiAbnormal Gal´s last post ..Semi-Abnormal Barbequed SalmonMy Profile

15 Chandra @ShiftC November 21, 2011 at 8:49 am

I’m a fan of Thanksgiving because I am a fan of giving thanks. I have a crazy black family; my extended family includes (but is NOT limited to) several crack fiend uncles and aunts, a couple touchy feely uncles, some loud talking ghetto aunties, and cousins that dress head to toe in shiny Rocawear. I try to be thankful everyday, but it’s nice to set aside one day devoted to giving thanks and being thankful.

16 [SMASH] November 21, 2011 at 9:57 am

Girl, any holiday will be fab in that Anthro sweater. <3 Still swooning over it.

17 Carrie @ No More Tomorrows November 21, 2011 at 10:22 am

I’m originally from western Kansas, but my mom recently moved about 50 miles NW of Wichita. If we’re ever in Kansas at the same time, I’d probably have to suggest coffee. Do you have any other Kansas readers?

1. I’m not a fan of any holidays. Except my born day, because it’s all about me. :-) No but really, I don’t like holidays, and if I can help it, I don’t celebrate them, and my boyfriend feels the same way, so it works out for us. Christmas I can’t get out of, because I love my family and don’t want to make my mom cry again, which she did the one year I decided not to go home, and then she drove to Colorado the day after so she could spend it with me.

2. My boyfriend has expectations to be at a “family” function (you know, not really blood related but yes they’re family now that he’s half a country away from his “real” family) but we’ll probably still spend most of the day together, not eating turkey and maybe watching some movies or going for a walk depending on weather.

3. There are 2 occasions in my life I have been in public on Black Friday and they were both times that I worked retail and had to be at work. If I could buy an IPad for a penny, I still wouldn’t be out on that day. People are crazy.
Carrie @ No More Tomorrows´s last post ..Is “fat” a bad word? My responseMy Profile

18 Carrie @ No More Tomorrows November 21, 2011 at 10:26 am

Okay, I commented before I read other comments. I see you have another Kansas reader.

19 Rachel November 21, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I’m definitely down for a KS meetup at some point!!

20 Megan @ MegGoesNomNom November 21, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I’ve always been a huge fan of Thanksgiving and it makes me sad when it gets overlooked with the approaching Christmas season. There is NO way my a$$ will be out at 4AM on Friday morning. I am uber-anti-Black Friday. I just cannot do it!
Megan @ MegGoesNomNom´s last post ..Being Thankful + ***GIVEAWAY!***My Profile

21 Tiffany @ texan on the run November 22, 2011 at 5:17 am

omg LOVE that anthro top on you!!!!!
Tiffany @ texan on the run´s last post ..Breaking news, dun dun dunMy Profile

22 Rachel November 22, 2011 at 9:44 am

Thanks, lady!!

23 Julia H. @ The Petite Spiel November 22, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Wow, I want to do Thanksgiving Rachel-style! Sounds like a fun time haha. But really..potato gun? I’ve never even heard of that! That’s one way to make mashed potatoes.

Have a great Thanksgiving!!!
Julia H. @ The Petite Spiel´s last post ..pizza is aMy Profile