My Favorite Thing to Do on Black Friday That Doesn’t Involve Christmas Shopping

by Rachel on November 25, 2011

It’s 10:30 in the morning and I’m sure some of you have been up since, well, last night, when you finished dinner and headed to Best Buy/Wal-Mart/Target/the mall with your Black Friday survival kit (which I imagine is a tool belt that has several items hanging from it, including detailed store maps, a walkie talkie, extra gloves to wear while you wait in line, Red Bull, and some assortment of items that would sabotage other customers from getting the product you want). At this very moment, you’re probably exhausted but exhilarated, still riding the high of getting a $6 mini Crock-Pot and snatching up Season 2 of “Weeds” at Target for $4.

But the rest of us? Well, we’re hanging out, not sure what to do with ourselves. You see, we want to go shopping for the reason everyone used to go shopping the day after Thanksgiving, making it the biggest shopping day of the year before marketers went and made it an even bigger biggest shopping day. We’re bored. We’re hanging out with family. We’re thinking, “Hm…wanna go to the mall?”

And we can’t. We can’t because by now, the mall, while less busy, it’s simply a bloodbath. Whenever I think of going to Macy’s, I imagine it as one of the more brutal carnage scenes in Gone With the Wind. And I don’t like to see stores that way. They look like they are suffering.

So. If you, like me, really would like to go shopping but know it’s just not worth it, I’d suggest that instead…you just make seasonal cocktails.

So the grown-up hot chocolate recipe? Was awesome. I had a major marshmallow fail on Monday night and didn’t get a chance to re-make them, so I went without and just topped the drinks with whipped cream. It was a huge win. The homemade hot chocolate alone without the booze was great, but the marshmallow vodka took it over the top. It’s not overly sweet or cloying and it doesn’t taste too strong. Dare I say it earns the highest compliment that you can give to a drink — that you can barely taste the vodka?

So yes, you might have to go to the liquor store, but since that’s the only goddamn store to not have Black Friday deals (which is kinda bullshit, because I actually would line up at 4 AM for $10 bottles of Patron), it shouldn’t be too bad.

Some other drink recipes I like:

Hot Buttered Rum

Mistletoe Martini

Pompagne Punch

Does anyone have any other good holiday cocktail recipes? Please share links and/or recipes in the comments because I’d love to get more ideas; it is the most wonderful time of the year, after all.

If you don’t want to make drinks and you absolutely must go shopping, then I suggest you go shopping…for ugly sweaters. I can’t imagine Goodwill is packed today and you might as well get a head start on things to wear during the holidays. I kind of love wearing ugly holiday sweaters not exclusively to ugly sweater parties, but just all the time. I like to put on some leggings and boots and then throw on a red turtleneck and a man’s sweater circa 1991 that you know was the featured photo in an awkward family Christmas card.

Speaking of which, I’m currently avoiding the awkward family photos that Eric’s extended family is currently taking. I am not sure if they are awkward or not, but I suspect they are, because if history has taught us anything, it’s that most family photos are awkward. And even if the coordinating outfits don’t look too awkward, I’ll tell you that nothing is more awkward than being the girlfriend standing around watching an awkward family that is not your own take photos and people awkwardly inviting you to be in them even though everyone knows that’s probably not appropriate. I don’t mind not being in the photos, but I knew no one would believe that, so I got all dressed like I was going to take the photos…and then spent the past 30 minutes hiding out, hoping no one would notice. But I think I’m in the clear now, so I’m off to make lunch/drinks!

{ 12 comments }

1 jenna k November 25, 2011 at 3:52 pm

last christmas, my friends introduced me to “the christmas drank.” you basically just mix bailey’s, peppermint schnapps, and cinnamon schnapps to taste. we drink ours over ice in solo cups, but you might consider serving it in a martini glass since it’s, ya know, entirely alcohol. and so delicious.
jenna k´s last post ..Technology SmechnolgyMy Profile

2 Bria @ WestofPersia November 25, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Funny, I know exactly what you’re talking about when you described “Awkward Family Photos.” Yeesh, I kinda just cringed on your behalf. Hope you escaped unscathed!

My favorite boozy holiday drink is simple: hot chocolate spiked with Bailey’s and/or amaretto. I make my hot cocoa with coconut or almond milk most of the time. Yum!
Bria @ WestofPersia´s last post ..Boosting Immunity and Avoiding Germs, Part 1My Profile

3 Tenecia November 25, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I live for marshmallows, says the girl who ate an entire bag at Thanksgiving dinner. I had NO idea that there was a marshmallow vodka – you have made my day and I just might love you :)

T.
Tenecia´s last post ..Wiggle WednesdayMy Profile

4 Bridget November 25, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Oh I hate that awkward family photo time. I experienced at a college graduation. It’s like, until my last name is your last name, I’m not getting into photos.
Bridget´s last post ..Never say neverMy Profile

5 [SMASH] November 26, 2011 at 11:23 am

Wow, that grown-up hot chocolate recipe sounds pretty legit. I’ve yet to try all those new vodkas. Also, yes, there is nothing more awkward than not knowing if you should be in your boyfriend’s family photos. That is one of the worst.

6 Lexie November 27, 2011 at 9:08 am

I had the same idea for with the fluffed marshmallow vodka. In my hot chocolate, I used part water and part heavy cream. Also threw in some cool whip for good measure.
Lexie´s last post ..ThanksgivingMy Profile

7 Julia H. @ The Petite Spiel November 27, 2011 at 11:33 am

There’s such a thing as marshmallow vodka?! Ya know, I shouldn’t even by surprised. They come up with everything these days…
Julia H. @ The Petite Spiel´s last post ..pizza is aMy Profile

8 Summer November 27, 2011 at 11:38 am

I’m really stoked to try Smirnoff’s whipped cream vodka and see how it tastes compared to Pinnacle’s. As of right now, few things top the deliciousness of that blue bottle. Mmm…vodka…so versatile.

Thank goodness my sort-of-boyfriend’s (long story) family doesn’t do the photo thing during holidays, but exes of mine have. It always feels so awkward, like nobody wants to take them in the first place, then the invite for the girlfriend to come and be a part of them but it just feels out of place… No thanks!
Summer´s last post ..A blogger’s “responsibility.”My Profile

9 Alexandra November 27, 2011 at 11:46 am

I waited in line this year for a KitchenAid and this couple in their 40′s tried to start a brawl with my BF. $14 blenders and toaster ovens bring out the worst in people.

I have this terribly awkward family photo taken when I was about 11, so…pre-flat iron, pre-bra, wearing braces, haven’t yet grown tall enough to lose the doughy belly, holding my mom’s hand…?? I’m still confused about the last one. This pic hangs in every family member’s house, so I can’t really escape it.
Alexandra´s last post ..Bittersweet Endings and Semisweet MorselsMy Profile

10 random ntrygg November 27, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps or Bailies or Kahlua

mulled cranberry vodka martinis

also good

11 Nicole @ Giraffelegs November 27, 2011 at 5:02 pm

My family dragged me to Bronner’s this year…worst decision ever. Ya win some, lose some.
Nicole @ Giraffelegs´s last post ..My Favorite Things: Christmas SongsMy Profile

12 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl November 28, 2011 at 1:37 pm

I love hot chocolate. I love vodka. This recipe is genius – thank you for opening my eyes to it ;-)
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl´s last post ..Leftover Thanksgiving Spaghetti Squash CasseroleMy Profile