Rachel Getting Merry: The Blogs of Christmas Past

by Rachel on December 5, 2011

It’s the most wonderful time of the year — that time when Americans just go balls-out with their consumerism! Before I get super deep into holiday posts this week with gift guides and recipes and the like, I thought I’d share my thoughts from Christmases past.

The Serious & Official Rules of Gifting. I love gifting and take it very seriously. This post really sums up my approach to holiday gifts!

Stuffing Your Stocking & Stuffing Your Face — Food Gifts 2010

Last-minute Gifts

“I’m a Broke Ass Ho But I’m Classy and Can Cook a Mean Batch of Cookies” Food Gifts

“I Swear I’m Not Calling You Fat” Fitness Gifts

“I Have a Huge Problem When I Go Into Bed, Bath, and Beyond” Kitchen Gifts

“Why Are They So Goddamn Heavy and Expensive Because I Want Them All” Cookbook Wish List

Cookie Party 2010

Snickers & PB Muffins

Vanilla Spiced Nuts

Mistletoe Martini

Pompagne Punch

Hot Buttered Rum

Whew!

I have a lot of holiday posts planned and plan to do some gifting as well (gifting to you all, that is with some cool giveaways)! In the meantime, let me know if there’s anything in particular relating to the holidays that you’re interested in reading about and I’ll try to oblige!

1 Mel December 5, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Ahhh great lists! I strive to be a good gifter too – but some people require more digging. More tips and ideas are always helpful!
This year’s list will probably include Birchbox 3 or 6 month memberships (friends), Lululemon wear (sister / mom), nice hotel-style pillow (bf), little candles and personalized lighters, and serving ware found on RueLala (dad).

A good gift I gave to some men bosses last year was homemade Baileys. Relatively simple to make!

2 jenna k December 5, 2011 at 8:22 pm

those gift ideas are all so great! do you happen to have a link to the bailey’s recipe you used?

3 Mel December 6, 2011 at 1:38 am

Unfortunately I don’t have the recipe online anywhere but I can write it down here for you, Rachel and anyone else to use! Enjoy! Mine distributed pretty evenly into 2 mason jars. (For the record, this is my mom’s recipe which she apparently got from an Eagle Brand condensed milk newsletter in 2002 haha)

Homemade Irish Cream Liqueur
Prep time: 10 minutes
Servings: Makes about 5 cups
Ingredients:
1 1/4 – 1 3/4 cups Irish whiskey, brandy, rum, bourbon, scotch or rye whiskey
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk)
2 cups (1 pint) Whipping Cream or Coffee Cream
2 tablespoons chocolate-flavored syrup
2 teaspoons instant coffee
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Instructions: Combine all ingredients until smooth. Serve over ice or store tightly covered in refrigerator.

4 Kiki December 5, 2011 at 6:29 pm

It’s a bit intimidating to be the first comment but… nonetheless…

Great go-to guide to holiday fun stuff! But about those holiday related things I’d be interested in reading about:

What is your experience with/ recommendation for splitting the holiday season between your own family and a significant other and their family? As I am getting old enough to have someone besides my family whom I’d like to spend Christmas with, yet I don’t want to give up my family traditions (i.e. I’m still trying to have stocking delivered via mommy) I’m kind of curious how people go about this.

5 Rachel December 5, 2011 at 6:58 pm

This post made me smile so much, it was absolutely fantastic! Thanks for getting me into the holiday spirit, Rachel : )

6 fluke December 5, 2011 at 7:39 pm

i’m not a huge holiday person, but man i love your gift guides! so helpful!

7 Megan @ MegGoesNomNom December 5, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Easy seasonal cocktails or boozy recommendations are always fun :)

8 jenna k December 5, 2011 at 8:16 pm

i definitely commented on the cookbook post because i thought it was from 09/11 instead of 11/09. final delusions problems. regardless of the date of the post, i loved browsing over some of the cookbooks this afternoon.
and man, ALL of that food sounds wonderful!

9 Eirinn December 5, 2011 at 9:33 pm

you are a life saver, thanks for reposting all of the gift ideas…. somehow i forgot them.

10 Amanda December 6, 2011 at 1:49 am

I’m really excited for your gift guides this year! They’re always creative and more informative than “give him video games” or “give her scented soap” lists that usually appear around this time of year.

11 Rachel December 6, 2011 at 11:30 am

Awww, thank you! I try to be creative so that’s a really nice thing to hear!

12 Kavi December 6, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Rachel, love reading your holiday posts… you’re like the modern day Martha Stewart!

13 Laura December 6, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Ditto on the excitement for your upcoming gift guides! I love reading your ideas because they’re SO much better than every other plain and boring ‘get him monogrammed cufflinks’ kind of list.
Cheers to gifting, drinking, and just plain loving the holidays!

…and on that note – I recently restocked my cabinet with peppermint schnapps. Happen to know of any good recipes besides the standard hot chocolate that I might try this season?

14 Carrie @ No More Tomorrows December 6, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I’m getting old and my eyesight is crap. I was so excited when I thought I saw “Rachel getting Married”

Nope, that’s not what it says.

Regarding holidays, I’m scrooge. Well, not entirely and then again I hate depicting someone who isn’t into holidays as negatively as that. So I will retract that statement. I don’t rain on others’ parades. And I still participate in christmas because it’s important to my family. I do enjoy giving gifts, and if I had more money I’d probably take gifts home everytime I went to visit my family because that’s how much I enjoy it.

15 Ashleigh December 6, 2011 at 9:15 pm

I can’t wait for more of your gift guides! I have the ‘boyfriend who has everything’ – it’s nearly IMPOSSIBLE to think of good gifts every year!

As far as requests, could you please, please post something on surviving/staying sane through the holidays with significant others’ well-meaning (but completely overbearing) families? And gift ideas for them? And what you’re planning on wearing to holiday things? Please tell me you’re wearing more pieces from Anthro!