Rachel Getting Merry: Ten Food & Drink Holiday Gifts for 2011

by Rachel on December 12, 2011

When it comes to gifting, I’m pretty sure eating + drinking = merry. Here are the food- and drink-related gifts I’m loving for 2011.

Food Gifts

As I said last year, when it  comes to food-related gifts, I use a formula of something useful + something edible, so I thought I’d share my ideas for what I’d add to these gifts to really make them great, and my thoughts who I’d give them to.

1. Pizza maker. What I’d add: 2. power saw pizza cutter. Who I’d gift this to: Yes, college students and stoners seem like an obvious choice, but I have this pizza maker and I love it! I’d recommend it to anyone who eats a lot of frozen pizza (which isn’t just college students and stoners; frankly, I never met a DiGiorno I didn’t like) and/or anyone who doesn’t have an oven. Or anyone has an oven and would like to make the process of eating frozen pizza even lazier by cutting an extra 10 minutes off the whole process. Like this girl.

3. Meatball maker. What I’d add: a jar of fancy/homemade pasta sauce. Who I’d gift this to: I consider meatballs one of those foods that everyone likes but everyone forgets to make. Whenever I remember to make homemade meatballs, I’m so happy I did. This is just a reminder to make meatballs and a way to make them a bit faster. feel like this is a good gift for anyone who cooks and I can easily see moms, aunts, siblings’ girlfriends, and significant others’ moms and aunts being on the receiving end of this gift.

4. Stock pot. What I’d add: Some kind of fancy dry soup mix; if I couldn’t find something fancy, I’d get an Archer Farms dry soup mix from Target, repackage the ingredients in a cute mason jar, and hand write the instructions on pretty card stock. Who I’d gift this to: This is actually on my list! I cook a lot of soup and could use a nicer pot. It feels really fancy because it’s Le Creuset, but it doesn’t cost $500 like most of their products. This would also make a good gift for someone who just moved out on her own or a new cook. It’s a kitchen staple.

5. Brass knuckle meat tenderizer. What I’d add: spices/meat rub. Who I’d gift this to: My mom, because she’s the griller in my life. Stereotypes require me to recommend this for your boyfriend or dad.

6. Bacon container. (Also available from the Container Store.) What I’d add: some gourmet bacon of course! Every year, I tell people the same thing: that good bacon is a really good Christmas gift. Unexpected and yet so wonderful. You can also expand on this a bit and add pancake mix and pure maple syrup tied with a pretty bow. Who I’d gift this to: anyone who loves bacon.

Drink Gifts

7. Lego water bottle. What I’d add: It depends on the recipient, but I think a home water filter system would be great (they aren’t too expensive and seriously, anyone who drinks a lot of bottled water needs a subtle hint to stop). I might just add some red Gatorade tied with a green bow to it though, because it’s a well-known fact that men love to drink Gatorade when they aren’t doing anything athletic. Who I’d gift this to: Well, Eric and Preston are both getting these this year.

8. Mini cocktail shot glasses. What I’d add: Liquor is quicker, friends! Who I’d gift this to: anyone between the ages of 18 and 30.

9. Gold flask. What I’d add: Alcohol of couse! What kind exactly depends on the recipient, but I’d go to a liquor store like Spec’s where there is a big selection of new/trendy/cool products and I trust the staff to give me a great recommendation. Who I’d gift this to: anyone who likes booze; flasks are one of those things people rarely buy themselves and yet they often find themselves wishing they had. This site has several designs; I went with the “To My Health” option for Eric.

10. Diamond ring bottle opener. What I’d add: A pretty basket featuring six or 12 different beers. Who I’d gift this to: any classy alcoholic. So…any of my friends. This is also on my list this year.

Anything else food- or drink-related else you’d like to give and/or receive this year? I’d love to hear your ideas!

1 Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy December 12, 2011 at 2:19 pm

This pizza maker is officially what I’m getting for my husband for Christmas. So much less chance of him drunkenly fumbling and dropping it cheese-side down on the bottom of my err..our oven.

Not that that’s happened before…

2 Alli December 12, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I got the bf these awesome whiskey stones (http://www.amazon.com/DB-Tech-Whisky-Chilling-Rocks-Gift/dp/B006078D4W) and, obviously, a bottle of nice scotch to go with them.

3 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat December 12, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I’ve seen a lot of those Bella makers (cupcake, donut, brownie), but the meatball version is new to me!

4 Laura December 12, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I got my boyfriend a home beer making kit! He loves beers of all kinds, and he’s always jealous when he meets someone who brews their own beer. It’s his turn to be that guy now!

I got the kit from here: http://brooklynbrewshop.com/beer-making-kits It was super inexpensive, and had plenty of good reviews, as well as several different flavor options.

5 Mel December 12, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I am bookmarking the mini glass shotglasses asap. ADORABLE!

6 Nicole @ Giraffelegs December 12, 2011 at 4:26 pm

hahaha these are awesome! I can think of a few people I would love to use the meat tenderizer on…

7 [SMASH] December 13, 2011 at 1:21 pm

^^ Hahaha, nice! Me, too…

8 deva @ deva by definition December 12, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Are numbers 5 and 6 flipped in your list?

I love the pizza cutter! I want some trivets and a pot-lid rack, but I dont’ know where to find one!

9 deva @ deva by definition December 12, 2011 at 4:53 pm

I just realized my question probably sounds not-so-friendly, I was just asking because it looks like the brass knuckles are #5 but the bacon box is #5 in the list – I’m confused!

10 Rachel December 12, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Oh you’re fine — thanks for catching it! Updated now!!

11 deva @ deva by definition December 13, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Awesome :-)

12 Malorie December 12, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Love these ideas! A pizza maker is great of course, but I would recommend a toaster oven that fits a pizza so you can get more use out of it.

13 Joy December 13, 2011 at 1:08 am

I want the Lego bottle! Hmmm think I can tell hubs less than 2 weeks out a different thing I want?

(in all actuality what I asked for is EXACTLY what I want so I’m not giving him any other ideas)

14 Rachel December 13, 2011 at 8:54 am

Ooh what did you ask for??

15 Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic December 13, 2011 at 8:56 am

The stockpost is a steal, thanks for sharing!! I actually like giving cookbooks (plus an apron/cheese/jelly/etc) for Christmas :)

16 Carrie @ No More Tomorrows December 13, 2011 at 11:50 am

My mom’s restaurant is opening on Thursday. I’m going to make her a few mugs with her logo on it.

I want that stock pot. And need more big pots like that. Anytime I make soups I end up making way too much to fit in the one pot I have.

17 [SMASH] December 13, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Really great list! I’d love to have that pizza maker… It’d be nice to not have the oven on ALL THE TIME for pizza. [I eat a lot of pizza. Not sorry.] That little mini donut or cupcake maker would be cute, too. That pizza cutter is so funy and I love the brass knuckles tenderizer!

18 Bridget December 13, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I love your blog lately. Feels like you took the GOMI comments to heart, but also stayed true to yourself!

19 Rachel December 13, 2011 at 10:31 pm

THANK YOU! Seriously. I’ve been trying to step it up, but I’ve really been wondering if it’s made a difference to anyone reading. So thank you for this.