Lemme Work It: Ten Workout Excuses I Made Today

by Rachel on December 13, 2011

It’s been two months since I’ve been to my yoga studio and the running thing in November? Uh…didn’t happen. While I’ve still been somewhat active, I was missing yoga in a major way. And yet every time I’d try to get myself to go back…this shit happens:

1. But I don’t want to spend all that money for a 30-day unlimited membership when I’ll be traveling for 7 of those days. The thing is, Rachel, if you don’t spend that money on the unlimited membership, it’s not like you’re going to do something super virtuous with it. You’re not going to save it. You’re not going to donate it to one of those Salvation Army bell ringers. You’re going to slowly spend it over the next few days on Starbucks breakfasts, Christmas songs on iTunes, shiny reindeer decor for your apartment, and more Starbucks breakfasts. And I know that’s what you’ll do because that’s what you do when you’re bored; you start filling all the hours you aren’t spending in yoga/thinking about yoga with online shopping/driving through Starbucks.

And if you really want to get your money’s worth, instead of going four times per week for four weeks like you used to, you could step things up and go five times a week for three weeks. Think about that for a second.

2. But I should stay here at work. You’ve gotten in at 8 AM for the past two days and have worked a like maniac, barely taking breaks, both of those days. And you know last week was bananas. But beyond the hours and effort you’ve put in, remember: leaving the office does actually make you a better c0-worker.

4. But I just want to go home and lay around. And you know, that’s a valid way to decompress after a stressful day! But you did it yesterday.

5. But I should go home and walk the dogs. Good thing Eric just e-mailed you to tell you he was going to do it!

6. But I’m having a good hair day! It’s 4:30 PM. Who haven’t you seen yet today who needs to see your hair? And PS — that excuse stopped being valid when you got fake hair and ensured that every day would be a good hair day. And another PS — you’re also having a really good cute-outfit-from-Lululemon day. If you don’t go to yoga tonight, you’re totally going to be That Girl.

7. But I’ll go tomorrow instead! No, you won’t. If you don’t go Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday, it’s really hard to get you to go for the first time in a given week — especially after a two-month break — on a Wednesday. And anyway, why wait a day? Your legs could be broken or something tomorrow.

8. But it’s been two full months since I went to yoga. Yeah, and let’s not make it three. You had valid reasons for not buying a new package, but you know it’s catching up to you and you’re starting to feel lazy. Just get this first post-hiatus class over with sooner rather than later.

9. But I don’t even like this class or instructor that much. Haven’t you actually not ever taken this instructor’s class? So you might actually love it. And yeah, I know you don’t usually seek out the beginner class but tonight it’s a good thing — it should make you feel better about the fact that you’re out of shape as fuck.

10. But I don’t have a hair tie. You’ve done worse. Like, forgot-a-sports-bra worse. If you can do a heated vinyasa class in underwire, you can do a beginner’s class with your hair down.

So after that rather long debate with myself, I went to yoga. I’d like to tell you that it was OMGSOAWESOMEIDIDN’TEVENFEELOUTOFSHAPE and I’m so glad I went, but the truth is, ITKINDAKICKEDMYASSANDMYHAIRWASUPERANNOYING and…I’m so glad I went.

1 Ally December 13, 2011 at 10:37 pm

I have used a couple of those on my list. I have to work out in the AM… or my list gets even longer. I used to not do yoga classes at my gym bc I was worried that I didn’t have the right outfit. Wow, worst excuse ever bc I meant special $80 yoga pants.

2 Danielle December 13, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Well, you rock. I make some variation and combination of these excuses nearly daily so when I do work out, I feel extra, extra proud. You should do. Get your yoga on, girl.

3 Elina (Healthy and Sane) December 13, 2011 at 11:04 pm

You went. WIN. It will get easier if you keep going back (I’m telling myself this as P90x is embarrassingly currently kicking my butt).

4 Jessica December 13, 2011 at 11:15 pm

I did the EXACT same thing today, and I also felt SO much better. I’m happy to know it wasn’t just me bitching about it.

5 Nicole December 13, 2011 at 11:37 pm

This is awesome. Makes me laugh because I think we all go through this most every time we exercise. Maybe if we write down those excuses we will be more likely to go exercise, I don’t know…

6 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn December 14, 2011 at 12:43 am

Ahahahaha. SO sad, but so true.

7 Jen December 14, 2011 at 3:46 am

‘3. But I should stay here at work. Seriously? Rachel, you’re just staring at the computer. Staring. You’re not working. You’re not even fucking around on the Internet. You’re staring.’ <- Actually cracked me up! Well done you – It is the HARDEST thing to get back into a routine! I find just skipping my Monday session gets me into a funk all week so I can relate!

8 Eszter December 14, 2011 at 8:02 am

Haha, I know the list too well! :DDD I force myelf to go to a lovely Iyengar-studio 3 times a week for two (!!) )1.5 hour-classes because I can do it for free until 31st December (our company did this barter with the studio), so you can imagine the sense of guilt if I end up staying at home/work.

9 Rachel December 14, 2011 at 8:11 am

Oh wow, that’s a sweet deal and I love Iyengar…but that sounds tough!!

10 Lizilla December 14, 2011 at 8:30 am

I love the internal arguing. My mom is legendary for her ridiculous sayings and one that my friends and I always quote is “Come on Jeannie get your butt moving! But I don’t wanna get my butt moving”. Besides making us laugh that phrase has been stated by all of us to literally get our butts moving at one time or another.

11 Jessica @ How Sweet December 14, 2011 at 8:47 am

#10 is ABSOLUTELY a deal breaker for me. no way in hell i can work out with my hair down, EVER!

12 Caity December 14, 2011 at 8:50 am

This is amazing. I bet if we all wrote out our internal dialogues like this, we would have gotten our booties to the gym/yoga studio as well. I’m going to try this technique next time!

13 Kacy December 14, 2011 at 9:07 am

I do this every day, it usually never ends well. If I didn’t work out at lunch I don’t know if I’d ever go.
A good hair day really is a good excuse for not working out though, right?

14 Katie @ livehalffull December 14, 2011 at 9:14 am

This is totally me. Yesterday I feel for the “but I want to sleep in” and then the “but I have work to do” and then “but I don’t feel like showering” and finally, the “I just want to lay around” I swear, the guilt I feel after endless excuses is a workout in itself. One I am not that into!

15 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans December 14, 2011 at 9:56 am

Love this!! Although no hair tie is a tough one to work around. But I did spin class with just the crappy built in shelf bra once so I guess when its necessary, you gotta pull out the big guns (almost literally that day!!)

16 Caitlin December 14, 2011 at 9:58 am

Hahaha I really liked this post! So relate-able. My favorite is the “I haven’t been in 2 months” one because I hear it often. Sometimes you have to remember that the number of months you haven’t been is only going to increase if you keep not going!

17 Parita @ myinnershakti December 14, 2011 at 10:05 am

It’s like you read my mind with some of these! The last one literally had my LOLing!

18 Tasha @ Dine n' Dash December 14, 2011 at 10:42 am

hahaha this was hilarious! It took me forever to bounce back after I took a vacay to get back to running.

And actually right now my excuse is that I’m feeling toasty and warm with the heater on and it looks so cold outside.

& this one is my favorite (I was trying to pump myself up to get back to my routine and look awesome when I see the bf), ‘so what if my bf is coming to visit this weekend, he should love me for me’!

19 Nicole @ Giraffelegs December 14, 2011 at 11:03 am

I feel ya. Made myself buy a month gym membership bc I am home for break. Not only did I work out 2 days in a row, but I also committed to eating at least 4 of the Christmas cookies I baked. Cool Nicole, working out does not cancel out 400 empty calories.

A

20 Rachel December 14, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I can’t really explain how fucking relatable you are. Maybe its the same name thing? Anyway, been there, done that, got the t-shirt on all of the excuses in your post today. I feel ya! I’m glad you enjoyed the class anyway.

21 Kavi December 14, 2011 at 2:01 pm

haha those excuses sound familiar… I’ve used number 7 many times!

22 Rachel December 14, 2011 at 9:50 pm

HA, so glad you went Rach! I loved reading your internal debate… sounds a lot like mine. I haven’t worked out for the past (almost) two weeks – besides the 5K Santa run I ran the other day and I’m starting to feel a little jiggle ha.

That just made me laugh & just reinstates that we’ll tell ourselves TONS of excuses, but after we just rip the band-aide off and go it feels oh so much better.

23 Kristine B December 15, 2011 at 11:26 am

I love this! I need to exercise today too.

24 Kristin February 1, 2012 at 12:31 am

Um. Thanks. This fits me pretty perfectly. Only I don’t pay for classes, I pay for 1 month, unlimited gym membership at a time. And darn it, I’m getting my money’s worth this month. I change before I leave work. Works for me!