It’s been two months since I’ve been to my yoga studio and the running thing in November? Uh…didn’t happen. While I’ve still been somewhat active, I was missing yoga in a major way. And yet every time I’d try to get myself to go back…this shit happens:
1. But I don’t want to spend all that money for a 30-day unlimited membership when I’ll be traveling for 7 of those days. The thing is, Rachel, if you don’t spend that money on the unlimited membership, it’s not like you’re going to do something super virtuous with it. You’re not going to save it. You’re not going to donate it to one of those Salvation Army bell ringers. You’re going to slowly spend it over the next few days on Starbucks breakfasts, Christmas songs on iTunes, shiny reindeer decor for your apartment, and more Starbucks breakfasts. And I know that’s what you’ll do because that’s what you do when you’re bored; you start filling all the hours you aren’t spending in yoga/thinking about yoga with online shopping/driving through Starbucks.
And if you really want to get your money’s worth, instead of going four times per week for four weeks like you used to, you could step things up and go five times a week for three weeks. Think about that for a second.
2. But I should stay here at work. You’ve gotten in at 8 AM for the past two days and have worked a like maniac, barely taking breaks, both of those days. And you know last week was bananas. But beyond the hours and effort you’ve put in, remember: leaving the office does actually make you a better c0-worker.
3. But I should stay here at work. Seriously? Rachel, you’re just staring at the computer. Staring. You’re not working. You’re not even fucking around on the Internet. You’re staring.
4. But I just want to go home and lay around. And you know, that’s a valid way to decompress after a stressful day! But you did it yesterday.
5. But I should go home and walk the dogs. Good thing Eric just e-mailed you to tell you he was going to do it!
6. But I’m having a good hair day! It’s 4:30 PM. Who haven’t you seen yet today who needs to see your hair? And PS — that excuse stopped being valid when you got fake hair and ensured that every day would be a good hair day. And another PS — you’re also having a really good cute-outfit-from-Lululemon day. If you don’t go to yoga tonight, you’re totally going to be That Girl.
7. But I’ll go tomorrow instead! No, you won’t. If you don’t go Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday, it’s really hard to get you to go for the first time in a given week — especially after a two-month break — on a Wednesday. And anyway, why wait a day? Your legs could be broken or something tomorrow.
8. But it’s been two full months since I went to yoga. Yeah, and let’s not make it three. You had valid reasons for not buying a new package, but you know it’s catching up to you and you’re starting to feel lazy. Just get this first post-hiatus class over with sooner rather than later.
9. But I don’t even like this class or instructor that much. Haven’t you actually not ever taken this instructor’s class? So you might actually love it. And yeah, I know you don’t usually seek out the beginner class but tonight it’s a good thing — it should make you feel better about the fact that you’re out of shape as fuck.
10. But I don’t have a hair tie. You’ve done worse. Like, forgot-a-sports-bra worse. If you can do a heated vinyasa class in underwire, you can do a beginner’s class with your hair down.
So after that rather long debate with myself, I went to yoga. I’d like to tell you that it was OMGSOAWESOMEIDIDN’TEVENFEELOUTOFSHAPE and I’m so glad I went, but the truth is, ITKINDAKICKEDMYASSANDMYHAIRWASUPERANNOYING and…I’m so glad I went.