Thirsty Thursday: DIY Chalkboard Wine Glasses

by Rachel on December 15, 2011

For the past year or so, I’ve been loving the black chalkboard trend in home decor. And then I saw these wine glasses floating around Pinterest, and I thought, OK…chalkboard + alcohol…I’m sold! But there are two reasons I almost didn’t make them.

DIY chalkboard wine glasses

First, I tend to run the other direction when I hear the phrase “DIY.”

My mom? Is great at doing things herself. She can look at, say, a $150 cream-colored yoga bag with a big bow on it (totally a thing, a thing that I actually love) and she’d say, “OK, Rachel, this probably cost them $4 to make.” And before I know it, she’s turning it inside out and showing me their crappy stitches and telling me how easily one could make this. And I’m always thinking, “No…you could make it.” (Which is why I’m e-mailing her about the yoga bag tonight.)

You’ve seen the costumes, but honestly, you haven’t seen the half of what my mom can build and create. You should see the rocket ship loft bed she built my brother over the summer.

So yeah…when it comes to DIY, I have some insecurities.

DIY chalkboard wine glasses

The other reason I didn’t initially want to make the wine glasses was because I was pretty sure that black chalkboard paint is pretty much the hipster version of a Bedazzler and I just wasn’t ready to go there.

In the end, I set my issues aside and went for it. I bought a set of four glasses at Target for about $6 and the chalkboard paint at Wal-mart for about $10. Oh and a $2 box of chalk. I was hoping I could tell this was an awesome $20 DIY Christmas gift.

diy chalkboard wine glasses close-up

And you know what? I actually can tell you that!

I followed the directions on this blog and did as the author recommended, moving my glasses around the wax paper every 20 minutes or so until they dried.

It took me a while to complete them (I did three coats and you have to let the paint dry for four hours between coats; you also have to wait three days after the last coat before you can write on them) and it eventually turned into a side project. Because I got a little impatient toward the end and rushed the last coat, the paint wasn’t perfectly matte on all of the glasses. I think that even someone without my mother’s skills and precision could easily make them good enough to gift. However, this batch is good enough for me and my boxed wine!

Now that I have a bunch of chalkboard paint, I want to apply this technique to other glassware like mugs and from there…well, like I said. Chalkboard paint is the hipster Bedazzler.

Of course, there is the other issue here that I can’t ignore — the fact that if I do, in fact, dip more items in chalkboard paint, then that probably makes me a hipster. I was having a hard time with it until I finally thought, What doesn’t make me a hipster these days? It’s getting to the point that I just find myself thinking on a daily basis, “Ya know, if the grandpa sweaters, community manager job title, and bearded boyfriend fit…”

And I think I’m kinda over fighting it.

1 janetha December 15, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Oh love this idea! And who cares if it’s hipster or not.. it’s flippin rad.

2 Ashley December 15, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Ahhh I think chalkboard paint is so cool! I need to get some ASAP

3 Kaytee December 15, 2011 at 6:40 pm

My mom is the queen of DIY, too, and for some reason I inherited her creativity but not the actual skills. Great at visualizing, not so great at creating. And is the yoga bag you’re talking about from oGorgeous because I know the one and it made me pretty weak in the knees, too.

4 Rachel December 15, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Yupppp!

5 Alexandra December 15, 2011 at 6:53 pm

SO obsessed with these!! I saw them on Pinterest and I’ve been telling anyone who’d listen about how amazing these glasses are. I’m definitely going to attempt them this weekend.

6 Bridget December 15, 2011 at 6:55 pm

These are awesome! I totally got into glass painting (like wine glasses) when I was unemployed for…months. I practiced on stuff from the Dollar Store. Awesome for candle holders and stuff.

I still think your Eric is a hipster. He just looks it! Also, thank you for not calling him Mr. Not Sorry or Mr. anything. His name is Eric. I appreciate that.

7 Rachel December 15, 2011 at 6:59 pm

HE’S NOT, I SWEAR! It was no-shave November, jeez…

And thanks re: real names on men on blogs. He’s not a Mr. That’s partially because I’m not a Mrs. but mainly because if he were someone who wasn’t cool putting his name and face on my blog, we wouldn’t have made it this far.

8 Samantha M. December 15, 2011 at 7:01 pm

As a DIYer (although maybe not to the level of yo’ momma), I will state for the record that I think your glasses turned out great! They look really good, plus it beats having to worry about wine charms, right?

9 Angie December 15, 2011 at 7:37 pm

THANK YOU! My family decided on a “make your own” Christmas gift tradition this year- and I am the opposite of crafty. We made limoncello (AWESOME) for my husband’s gift, and I still needed one for me- this is perfect! We will finally solidify our place as the family lushes, so ya know, that’s good.

10 Nikki December 15, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Welcome, Rachel, to the hipster club. *light applause*. We’ve been waiting for you. :)

11 Rachel December 16, 2011 at 12:29 am

Hahaha that made me LOL

12 chandra December 15, 2011 at 10:30 pm

AH! I’ve been trying to think of something to give my boyfriend’s sister and brother-in-law and I think this would be perfect! I might even make a set for myself. :)

13 Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy December 16, 2011 at 8:27 am

I woke up this morning, brushed my bangs and put on my tortoise shell glasses and realized I am truly slowly morphing into my hipsterish girl grush Zooey Deschanel.

Meh, could be worse.

14 Jessica December 16, 2011 at 9:06 am

This project sounds about my speed! I get so inspired by DIY, but then I run out of patience…or don’t really want to spend $50 on supplies I’m probably just going to mess up. Well done!
As for the hipster thing, I’ll admit to being a yipster (see: http://www.yipster.tumblr.com)…I just don’t want to take it to the point of being one of those annoying tattooed couples with funky hats, vintage sun glasses and a toddler on my hip- hipsters with kids are the new worst! :)

15 Stephanie December 16, 2011 at 9:07 am

Great job on the glasses! A tip for anyone who hasn’t tried them yet but wants to, they sell chalk board spray paint (I got mine at Michaels for $7). Super easy to use and the drying process isn’t nearly as much of an issue. Just tape the glass stem and cover the upper part of the glass with a plastic bag and spray away. Two light coats is perfect – no drips and it comes out matte.

Also – I agree with the “What doesn’t make me a hipster these days” comment! It seems pretty much unavoidable. C’est la vie.

16 Jennifer December 16, 2011 at 10:06 am

I love these glasses! Very cute. Must buy chalkboard paint.

17 Kristina December 16, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I also have many similarities with hipsters but am definitely not one (I’m actually writing a post about it right now, still in draft form, because I’ve been accused of being a hipster on multiple occastions), and I’m guessing what makes you not a hipster is the same thing that makes me not a hipster – I don’t judge other people for not liking or knowing about hipster-ish things. I feel like judginess is a defining attribute of hipsters (inferring to others that the music they listen to is terrible, acting like their choices are better than yours) – or if not judginess, the need to constantly inform everyone that they loved (insert name of band, movie, trendy place to eat) *before* it was cool.

But that’s just my observation….

18 Triz December 16, 2011 at 3:26 pm

*I* want a rocket ship loft bed.

19 malorie December 16, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I love this! I saw it on pinterest. I didn’t know chalkboard paint was a hipster thing. I thought it was more of a mommy craft blogger thing…

20 Jess-The SemiAbnormal Gal December 17, 2011 at 4:39 pm

“I was pretty sure that black chalkboard paint is pretty much the hipster version of a Bedazzler and I just wasn’t ready to go there.”

Rachel you sleigh me (see what I did there, tehehe). Happy Holiday, you up and coming DYI gal!

21 Cat December 17, 2011 at 9:27 pm

A: I love this.
B: I think the bedazzler is the new bedazzler for hipsters.

22 Bridgette December 18, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Love this idea! And I’m pretty sure you can get chalkboard paint in different colors too (somewhere online).

23 [SMASH] December 19, 2011 at 9:56 am

Very cool project. I always wanted a chalkboard wall in my room when I was little. I don’t know that I would classify these as “hipster” but I think it’s a pretty cool thing to try. Would make such a great gift for friends!

24 Deb December 22, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Love how your glasses turned out and yes, the chalkboard paint is a bit habit forming :)