Getting It: Pushing in 2012

by Rachel on January 2, 2012

After 26 hours on the road all by my lonesome this weekend, I came up with my verb for 2012.

I wanted a verb that reminded me to not be lazy. While I consider myself pretty motivated, I know I have a tendency to get arrogant and stop trying hard at the things I consider myself to be pretty good at. While it’s great to be satisfied with your life, I don’t want to forget that while I can do certain things without much effort, I feel a lot better when I am making an effort.

Here are some ways I plan to push myself this year.

Push myself to publish really great content. This is, without question, my biggest goal for the year. I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about writing and my blog over the past month and I have a lot of big plans. So now I have to push myself to do them. Writing has always come easily to me and as a result, I’ve stopped trying as hard. My biggest goals for this year are to set up a writing schedule and to only publish content on my blog that I’d publish elsewhere (like on magazine’s website or in a book, for example). It will mean being more organized, getting up earlier, staying up later, and sitting down to write when I’d probably rather sit down to read. It will mean re-thinking the other people/things I let influence my writing (like the free swag that I get to review and give away, which doesn’t always result in my best writing). It will mean eventually re-designing my blog to represent my personal style more (surprise! I don’t even like bright colors that much) and finding a way to do pictures that I can live with (surprise again! I hate taking photos and I’d write a hell of a lot more if I didn’t have to find visual aids to accompany my writing). I know I have my work cut out for me, but I feel most myself when I’m writing content that I’m really proud of.

Push myself socially. My verb for this year was almost socialize, but I decided push encompassed more of the things I wanted to achieve this year. But I really need to push myself to be more social here in Houston. I feel like it’s really hard to make new friends as you get older, but I’ve let that be an excuse for too long. I need to at least try a little bit. My goal is to push myself to really nurture potential friendships and to go to at least one social event each month where I can meet new friends.

Push myself to be disciplined about my health. Again, being healthy is something that comes pretty easily to me, but I’ve started to find certain aspects of healthy living really inconvenient and so I’m cutting corners. I’m not doing anything majorly unhealthy, bu I know I can do better. I need to get back to basics: more veggies, more water, less sugar, less takeout. I know the best way to do this is pushing myself to plan ahead and also pushing myself to accept that it might be inconvenient sometimes. To be honest, it’s harder for me to prioritize healthy habits now that I’m at a stable weight that I’m happy with — losing weight was always better motivation for me —  so that’s why I need to bring this back to the front of my mind. I think it will be as simple as grocery shopping, using my slow cooker regularly, packing lunches ahead of time, and setting new workout challenges for myself each month. For example, rather than just going to yoga four times a week, I’ll push myself to go on the weekends, try new classes, or just hold poses a little longer.

Push myself at home. I made a goal over the summer to stop being lazy when it comes to dishes, laundry, and cleaning. While that goal helped a lot, I still feel like I need a regular reminder to stay on top of my chores. When I’m feeling busy or overwhelmed, I don’t give my apartment the attention I’d like to, which just leaves me feeling more overwhelmed. If I’m going to push myself in all these other ways, I’m going to want a clean and organized apartment as my home base.

Between the writing, the socializing, and working on my health, I feel like this year might leave me feeling a little breathless, but I’m OK with that. While last year was wonderfully stable and almost…quiet, I feel like this year will be fast, fun, and exciting. While it was good  to spend some time in Wichita and at home in Michigan, I’m actually glad that the holiday is over, I’m back in Houston, and I can finally push play on all my new goals.

1 Heather January 2, 2012 at 10:29 am

such a great verb this year, Rachel!! I hope you will be sharing some of the things you do throughout the year to help you achieve these goals. [i always get the best, most practical, ideas from you!]

2 lesley January 2, 2012 at 10:37 am

I would definitely be interested in your progress for your goal to push yourself socially!

2011 was a big transitional year for me–I graduated law school–a place I had tons of friends and a great social life, and now, I’m working a 8-6 job with people at least 2 decades older than me. I find myself struggling to meet people and I’m lonely too often! I have friends but they are mostly “let’s get together for dinner once every two months” friends, and I’m at a point in my life where I just need more consistent and fun social interaction. It’s hard, though, when you are starting a zero! I spend way too many weekends alone. Working on my social life is definitely one of my goals for this year.

3 Blair January 2, 2012 at 10:38 am

I like your verb for 2012. Push is a verb I have lacked in my life’s vocabulary for quite some time now, I’m the one who always tries to take the easiest route and ends up falling short. I think it’s time I start “push-ing” in my life as well.

Happy New Year!

4 shelby January 2, 2012 at 10:40 am

Three things:

(1) I now have Salt ‘n Pepa stuck in my head. PUSH IT REAL GOOD!

(2) When I first saw this post title I considered that you might be talking about being knocked up and pushing out a baby. If so, congratulations?

(3) In all seriousness…you’re a great writer and I’m excited to watch #1 unfold. Happy new year!

5 Rachel January 2, 2012 at 12:05 pm

HA…you know, I thought of that and I truly WISH I wanted to get knocked up this year so that it could really come full circle, but alas…no. Not even close.

6 Dallas January 2, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Between this and Rachel Getting Merry, I’m fairly consistently about to spit orange juice on my keyboard. #whenwillilearn?

7 Rachel January 2, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Hahahaha. Actually laughing out loud at this. Sorry for f-ing with ya.

8 [SMASH] January 2, 2012 at 11:04 am

What a great verb for the year! I think you’re truly unique in choosing a verb to carry you throughout the year. I hope you have an amazing 2012 and I’ll be here reading all about it!

9 Kavi @ Lab to Fab! January 2, 2012 at 11:04 am

Push is such a great verb for you this year! Good luck with your socializing goals as well. I moved to NYC in my late 20s and found it hard to make friends at first too. I started volunteering with a youth-oriented, non-profit organization. In addition to doing something fun and helping the community, I met a ton of wonderful people, several of whom have become my best friends!

10 Parvin January 2, 2012 at 11:25 am

Go Rachel!

11 Lindsay January 2, 2012 at 11:32 am

After your last post, I was thinking of what sort of verb I’d choose for this year, and it would be something similar to yours. As for health, I know what I want to do and should do, but actually making myself keep my fridge stocked and cook healthy meals is the challenge. It just comes down to pushing myself. Also, I moved to NYC six months ago, and though I have great work friends, I really want to find a social circle outside of work, so that’s something I need to work on too.

12 Nicole @ Giraffelegs January 2, 2012 at 11:33 am

ohh thats a good verb!

13 Deva @ Deva by Definition January 2, 2012 at 11:50 am

I love the verb! I was actually up at midnight writing my “verb(S)” post. I picked “grow” and “improve.” While they could be considered synonymous, I think I can’t grow without improving. I can’t get anywhere with my running until I improve it. I can’t grow my blog without improving my writing (and content).

Thank you so much for the idea! I’ll be verbing it like crazy in 2012!

14 Sarah January 2, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I loved your idea of choosing a verb last year, and I have been thinking about my own verb for this year. While I thought about “push” for last year, it didn’t feel quite right, so I punted… but recently it resurfaced and wouldn’t get out of my head. We picked the same verb! You always seem to publish content at the exact time I need to read it. I’m sure reading about how you’re pushing it will remind me to get myself together. Watch out 2012!

15 Anne Weber-Falk January 2, 2012 at 12:28 pm

The perfect verb. PUSH. I don’t like to make resolutions. I would rather make changes. I get frustrated with myself when those changes don’t come as I wish for or plan. But PUSH. That is better for me. I will talk with my fitness class members about this verb/prospect. PUSH is something we can all do for ourselves. Thanks for this.

16 Alicia from Poise in Parma January 2, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Solid choice of an action verb (definitely inspires you to move/accomplish) and I like how it gets broken down into your yearly goals. Glad to hear you made it back to Texas safe and sound!

17 melissanibbles January 2, 2012 at 12:53 pm

I used meetup.com to meet new people and it’s worked out well. I joined a hiking group and an indie rock concert group (we go to concerts and get drunk together!). There are groups for everything under the sun. I think you’d really like it.

18 Rachel January 2, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I’ve been a member for a while but have been stalling on actually using it to meet people. I’ll definitely be giving it more effort this year though!

19 Claire H. January 2, 2012 at 1:33 pm

This is awesome! Thanks for the inspiration. Verbs are such a cool way to encapsulate goals for the new year. I’ve thought about it, and my 2012 verb is “develop.” I wanted a verb that would help me push the envelope both socially and physically, since my two main goals are to meet more people (“develop” friendships) and run a 5K before the end of the year (“devel0p” my endurance). I was thinking that “get out” might be my verb, but that’s not nearly as catchy.

Thanks again for this post!

20 Jess-ThatJessGal January 2, 2012 at 1:50 pm

It’s funny, I was thinking about your verb idea last night, while planning out my goals post and today you bring yours out! I love the idea of “push”….believe it or not, the concepts behind it are quite a bit similar to mine for the year, which is “be kind” (ok, ok, it’s a phrase, not a verb…you know I don’t follow rules very well!). 2012 is going to be a great year and I can’t wait to see how things turn out for us both!

21 Mary (A Merry Life) January 2, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Awesome verb choice. Hope you have an amazing 2012! Happy New Year!

22 Hannah January 2, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Damn this is a great verb! I like the idea of using a word or verb to implement throughout the year in your daily life. I have a question, though, sort of like how people struggle to keep up their resolutions, how do you remind yourself of the verb throughout the year (i.e. the middle of August)? Do you put pictures of the word around the house, etc, or do you journal about it?

23 Rachel January 2, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Hmm…good question! Well, when I don’t want to do something, I search in my mind for motivation. So, for example, if I don’t want to go to yoga, I go through my mental checklist of why I should. If I’ve set a monthly goal, then that comes to mind first. Now, though, my verb comes to mind first. I also just keep it in mind as I determine short-term goals. Writing it down and hanging it on my desk or something would probably help me remember it, but I’m such a goal-oriented person that I don’t usually have trouble with it!

24 Ellen January 2, 2012 at 4:42 pm

I keep coming back to the idea of assigning a verb to 2012 but I’m not really a New Year’s resolution type of person. I mean, I feel like I’d just forget about it and lo-and-behold a year later I’d try to tally up what could count towards my verb…

I still amuses me that you visit Wichita. Maybe someday we’ll have one of those infamous meetups. Happy New Year!

25 Miranda January 2, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Push is my word for 2012 too! I’ve been following along with Ali Edwards “one little word”….it has actually worked for me the past few years. My choice was for a few different reasons though, but I also loved how limitless the word really is, as opposed to some others.
I’ve been reading your blog for awhile now….I love the content already, so I can’t wait to see what else you have planned!

26 Amanda @ Click. The Good News January 2, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Very cool- I took the Pathfinder course last year and am now taking the One Little Word course for 2012 to scrapbook and focus on my word- treasure!

27 Bridget January 2, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I borrowed this idea last year and used “not settling” as my action. If you would have told me a year ago I’d be where I am, I wouldn’t have believed it.
But here I am, with a job that’s fantastic (since I didn’t settle for just an ok job), a guy that I just introduced to my family (since I didn’t settle for someone that didn’t give me butterflies), and a size smaller than I was (since I didn’t settle for workouts that stopped getting my heart pumping).
It’s pretty amazing what one can accomplish when they just let themself follow their own path.

28 Rachel January 2, 2012 at 9:06 pm

That’s so wonderful! And I’m glad to hear you made the right choice about Austin!! We should plan a hangout soon. (See also: push myself to be social.)

29 Elle January 2, 2012 at 10:16 pm

I’m just de-lurking to say THANK YOU for this! In 2011, I moved to a new city to be with my boyfriend, and I found myself becoming That Girl Who Hangs Out With Her Boyfriend Constantly. And I always thought girls like that were so lame! Like, don’t you have your OWN friends? But you’re right; with a full-time job and in a new city, it can be seriously hard to meet people. I hope you blog about your experience in pushing yourself socially; I know I could use some advice!

PS- I think your blog is just fantastic. :)

30 Jordan Lynn (Ciao Cow) January 2, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I really like the idea of having verb to embody versus a resolution. I can totally relate “pushing myself socially.” I’m from Houston, but I live in Seattle, and it has been hard to branch out and make friends there. However, I know it is something that really would make the transition to living so far from home easier. Good luck this year!

31 K @ The Chic Teach January 2, 2012 at 11:23 pm

OOh, yeah, I like this a lot. Essentially, my goal this year is to just freakin’ WRITE more. The more I write, the better I write, the better I feel. I definitely feel like if I want to be taken seriously, I can’t be putting out crap on my blog. I have to work my butt off and write GREAT content, because that’s what I want to do. Love it.

32 Rachel January 3, 2012 at 8:31 am

Excited to add you to my Reader and see how it goes for you! Woo writers!!

33 Megan C. January 3, 2012 at 9:35 am

I like the concept of a verb for inspiration instead of just a list of goals. I like your goal of writing more because I like reading your writing.

I think your goals for health and your house sound like mine. I find it easy to get relaxed with both especially when things are hectic in other aspects of my life.

Looking forward to hearing how things go for you!

34 Elina (Healthy and Sane) January 3, 2012 at 9:40 am

Good luck! I like that your verb encompasses many goals in one. You can do anything you put your mind to! :)

35 Rachie G January 3, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I am excited to see some new content, although I think everything you write is pretty awesome as it is! I will be interested to see how making new friends goes for you, it seems to me that making friends in adulthood is like dating. There’s always that akward how do I let this person know I would be interested in hanging out with them again? Do I ask for their number, friend them on Facebook and then try to communicate, it’s just weird. Meetup is also like going on a blind date you never know what you are going to get! I have meet some awesome people and also have great stories about socially akward people from Meetup.

Happy 2012!