The Life: Friday Night Social

by Rachel on January 6, 2012

Welcome to my first open thread!

First, let the great Women Courting Women Friends experiment! People expressed interest in setting up meet-ups in a bunch of cities. So far we have:

1. Houston (Proposed by Meghan, currently being organized by me; I’m e-mailing everyone who expressed interest later tonight.)
  2. Raleigh (Proposed by Dallas)
  3. Virginia Beach/Norfolk (Megan C.)
  4. West LA (Kaitlynn)
  5. MD/DC (Erin, who is looking for women who aren’t going to just get pregnant and/or move away)
  6. San Francisco/East Bay (Coree)

To those interested in joining in in these cities or for anyone interested in adding to the list, please feel free to use the comments section to work out details or to share contact info if you’d prefer to organize off-site. (Off-site is probably best from a safety POV. Perhaps just share enough info in the comments to find each other via Facebook/Twitter/blogs if an organizer isn’t comfortable sharing e-mail addresses publicly.)

All right, enough from me…what’s up witchoo? The point of an open thread is that there’s no real topic, but as I know some of you have never done this before, I’ll make some suggestions…just start with the simple question “What’s on your mind?” You can share your weekend plans, link to interesting/funny content, tell the highlight of your day/week, ask other people for advice on any topics that might be on your mind, rant about your significant other for a moment, shamelessly promote your own blog, etc.

Here’s my contribution to tonight’s thread: This day got off to a weird start because I was prepping this slow cooker tortilla soup before work. A cooking tip: if you’re making soup in the slow cooker and it includes chopped vegetables, chop them the night (or even a few days) before and put them in a big zip-top plastic bag so all you have to do the day of is dump them in the Crock Pot. I knew I should have done this, but I didn’t, and as a result, rushed around my kitchen, made a huge mess, and somehow banged my hand, scraping all the skin off my thumb…which I didn’t realize until I saw blood everywhere. Lame, I know. But damn, this soup smells amazing.

I’m off to open a beer, officially making this a happy hour. See ya in the comments!

1 Jane January 6, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I’ll head up the Atlanta group, if anyone’s interested.

2 Bekah January 7, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I’d be interested in an Atlanta meetup!

3 Elisabeth January 7, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Yay! I’m an Atlanta girl, too! Let me know the details.

4 Caroline January 8, 2012 at 9:51 am

I just moved to atl a few months ago! aka I’m interested!

5 Jane January 8, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Hm, how should we do this? Do we want to go off-website to plan? You can all email me if you want: jane.lawrence@emory.edu.

6 Amanda @ Click. The Good News January 6, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Very cool- thanks for organizing this!

I’ve also met up with another Houston blogger gal group. http://htownbloggerhotties.blogspot.com/
Also there is another (more pro, slightly older group??) I haven’t met up with them yet, but this is just what I was told. http://www.houstonbloggingchicks.com/

7 Rachel January 6, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I got on the H Town Blogger Hotties list and this will be the first time I can actually make a meetup they have planned, so I’m excited about that!

8 Sandra January 6, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Depending on when, I’m in Atlanta and I’d be willing to come out.

9 Winnie Nicole January 6, 2012 at 7:13 pm

I’m in Newport Beach, CA so I would love to meet up with girls in the area. I am willing to venture out to LA too.

10 Samantha M. January 6, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Hey, first Friday night post party, HOLLA! although it’s a little early on my side, it’s only 4ish here. :)

I, too, am also guilty of procrasterbation when it comes to cooking. It usually leads to resentment and unintentional cooking injuries, also. It sounds pretentious as hell, but I’ve really come to value that whole “mise en place” crap they do on Top Chef; when I do it all in advance, and take my time, the food is so much better and there’s less blood and tear-shedding.

I actually tried the whole “once-a-month cooking” thing for the first time, but only 2 week’s worth. It’s been great so far! 3 hours of cooking=14 meals, and The Hubs kind of loves picking what he wants to eat the night before (so it can thaw in time). Leaves much more time for crafting! (Ugh, I’m so domestic.)

11 Rachel January 6, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Did you follow some sort of plan for this “once a month cooking” thing? Links??

12 Samantha M. January 6, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I’m a huge nerd, so I researched the hell out of it once I wanted to figure out a way to not have to cook so darn often; I actually like to cook, but when it’s expected it feels like a chore, so I’m more reluctant to do it day-to-day. (‘cuz I’m a 30-year-old brat and still don’t like to do my chores.) Meal planning helped, but I still put off cooking for the night if I wasn’t in the mood, even with everything I needed in the fridge!

I mainly used this site (http://www.momsbudget.com/freezerrecipes/); it’s a little visually messy, but the information is simple and there are TONS of ideas on it. I also did a google search for what’s OK to freeze, so I could figure out what I already know how to cook that’s also freezer-friendly.

On my blog, I’ve linked the Google Calendar I’m using to plan my meals in the sidebar. I aim to plan meals that use stuff I already have in the pantry or can buy for cheap in bulk. I’m not actually going to eat the meals on the day they’re entered in the calendar, it’s just a way to make sure I’ve got a meal for every day, as well as save the links for new-to-me recipes, notes to myself for the big cooking day, etc. Hope this helps!

13 Kaytee January 6, 2012 at 7:27 pm

I seriously wish I could get something like this started on Oahu. It’s been pretty hard to make friends out here, especially considering I have nothing in common with any of the Army wives I’ve met. However, Kyle and I are moving to a new place next weekend and hopefully I’ll be able to meet more people there than in the town we live in now.

Regarding moving… our apartment right now kind of (really) sucks and I’m so excited about moving to this new townhouse, but I am getting majorly emotional about leaving this apartment. I guess it’s because this was the first place we ever lived in together. I knew we’d move eventually, but this is making me so much more sad than I expected.

14 Rachel January 6, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Ummmm K Fergg?? When did you get engaged??? How did I miss this?? The open thread seems like a really good place to share this story.

15 Kaytee January 6, 2012 at 10:50 pm

I actually got engaged at the end of September! Kyle took me out on a surprise weekend getaway to the Turtle Bay Resort (not far from our current apartment) and after a little sunset walk on the beach & some drinks, there was a candlelit dinner set up on the balcony of our suite. I have no idea how the food was because before my first bite he got down on one knee & proposed.

It was all very sweet, but when I asked him about it later he said he asked me in that moment because he was scared if I drank much more I wouldn’t remember that it happened.

16 Rachel January 6, 2012 at 11:01 pm

The last line was obviously my favorite part of that proposal story.

But yeah, I don’t know how I missed that!! Congrats!!

17 nikkiana January 6, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I’m feeling rather bummed at the moment because I was supposed to go hang with a friend this evening, and I just got a text from her saying that she has to bail because she got home and her ex-boyfriend was at her door and she’s now got to handle that situation. Oy.

18 Rachel January 6, 2012 at 7:34 pm

I moved back home to Ann Arbor after I graduated and realized I don’t know many people around the area anymore. I’d love to start a group around the Ann Arbor area if anyone’s interested! : )

19 Stephanie January 7, 2012 at 11:48 am

I’d be up for an Ann Arbor/Metro Detroit group for sure. I’m still in A2 finishing my master’s and have pretty much the opposite problem of everyone here…the majority of my friends are leaving for Chicago/NYC/etc and I’m starting a full-time job in Detroit in the fall.

20 Lauren January 7, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I’d be interested in Ann Arbor! I live about an hour from there.

21 Rachel January 11, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Send me an email and we can work something out — goulet.rachel@gmail.com : )

22 kate January 7, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I’d love to see a Michigan meet up. I’m north of you in Bay City… maybe we could rotate a few different areas of the state!

23 Rachel January 11, 2012 at 3:27 pm

You too! Send me an email and we can all figure something out — goulet.rachel@gmail.com : )

24 Lauren January 11, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Add me to the email list if you guys talk about a meet-up in MI.

lrstewar@gmail.com

Thanks!

25 Rachel January 6, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Any readers in the San Diego area?? Lets start a group here!!!

26 Deva @ Deva by Definition January 6, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I’m currently waiting for my bestie to be here so we can chow down on some lamb chops and ovened potatoes. YUM!

I don’t do the correct amount of prep in advance, either, btw, I tend to wake up early. This is how I almost lopped off the tip of my thumb packing lunches one morning.

27 Rachel January 6, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Update: I am eating the aforementioned tortilla soup and it’s REALLY good. The thumb injury was totally worth it. Definitely worth making!

28 Lauren January 6, 2012 at 7:59 pm

This sounds so cool! I live about an hour from Ann Arbor… I would be interested in that one…

29 Belle January 6, 2012 at 8:05 pm

It’s lonely here in Seattle – my husband and I just moved here last month. Anyone willing to meet up for coffee or drinks?

30 Marta January 6, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Anyone in Chicago interested?

31 Jessica January 7, 2012 at 10:14 am

I am interested in CHicago:) yay.. I slack on the blogger side, but it would be great to meet up.

32 Mallory January 7, 2012 at 11:37 am

I’m interested in Chicago too!

33 Jessica January 7, 2012 at 5:19 pm

I’m interested!

34 Kerry January 10, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I’d be interested in a Chicago meet up!

35 Juliana January 8, 2012 at 6:11 pm

I’d love to do something in Chicago too! Anyone have any ideas?

36 Ashley January 9, 2012 at 9:23 am

Yay for a Chicago meet up!! I know this lacks any serious creativity, but would anyone like to do a Thursday night happy hour somewhere?

37 Juliana January 9, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Absolutely! I’m trying to think of some sweet Thursday drink specials. Thoughts?

38 Juliana January 12, 2012 at 5:31 pm

What about somewhere like Hub51 or Haymarket Brewery? I don’t know about their specials, but they both have a pretty good selection of drinks and are close to the Loop and transportation. Does anyone else have any favorites? How does next Thursday sound for everyone?

I’d love to get this going!

39 Meghan January 6, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Rachel – can you add me to the Houston email? Thanks!

40 Rachel January 6, 2012 at 9:10 pm

41 rachel January 7, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Can you add me, too?

42 Dallas January 6, 2012 at 9:07 pm

1) I definitely just burned my forehead trying out the new curling wand I bought at Target. (on clearance! who cares if it’s got a “frosty purple handle”? oh, holiday items.)

2) Rachel, I think you’re awesome for doing something like this! Have you thought about a legit bulletin board? Or is that too unwieldy?

3) Does it mean I’m old if Friday nights now involve comfy pants and being glad the work week is done? (I’m 27. Oops.)

43 Kristin January 6, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Comfy pants, Tivo and being glad the work week is over is my go-to-Friday night… and I’m almost the 3-0… nothing wrong with it!!

Oh, and any one in the Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas area wanna meet up?

44 Rachel January 6, 2012 at 9:43 pm

My Friday night has meant that for a LONG time, since I was like 22. Seriously, I just hate having Friday night plans. I want to be alone, maybe with a good girl friend, watching “Say Yes to the Dress,” reading magazines, doing my nails, and/or reading blogs I haven’t had time to read all week. And in bed by 10:00, because, again, I’m exhausted from my week. It’s glorious.

45 Ashley January 6, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Oh i am so with you guys and im 23! It doesnt help that I work at 6 am on fridays..no chance I can go out when I get up that early

46 Rachel January 6, 2012 at 10:41 pm

PS Dallas how do you envision this legit bulletin board working/looking? Can you show me any examples on other sites? I’m open to it!

47 Dallas January 7, 2012 at 11:10 am

I was sort’ve thinking something like they have at GOMI? Where there’s the blog part, but then there’s the whole community part?

Or… Yes and Yes made a community. http://yesandyes.freeforums.org/index.php

People could create topics, you could drop in and out, etc. It’s probs a lot of work but if you need an assistant moderator, I’d be up for it and your readers are SO COOL. I want to make them all my friends… Basically.

48 Ashley January 6, 2012 at 9:42 pm

So rachel my pup got neutered today..tell me about when yours did! Did they wear cones? For how long? We went and got him one cuz he wouldnt stop licking but I have no clue how long he should wear it for..hes asleep now I really hope he sleeps theough the night

49 Rachel January 6, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Yes, they wore cones for 7 full days! They hated them but they would have licked each other’s if not their own. (They had way too much energy for a couple of dogs who had just had surgery.) Indiana somehow managed to still get to his and sort of ripped them out around Day 4 so we got worried and then had to take him to the vet to make sure it wasn’t infected…it wasn’t but we had to pay $30 to find that out.

How’s he been so far??

50 Ashley January 6, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Ugh making him wear this for 7 days is going to suck! Hes been okay but super whiney when hes awake.. And he keeps trying to lick even with the cone then trying to scratch the cone off. If I can get him to stay asleep all night that will be a success..did u give them any medicine?

51 Rachel January 6, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Yeah we gave them the painkillers the vet gave us…I think it was only for a few days; the drugs definitely helped calm them. But they were back to normal (bad) puppy behavior before too long. Oh and they nearly destroyed their cones. We had to actually zip-tie the cones to the collars so they wouldn’t pull each other’s off and destroy them.

52 Sarah Crowder January 6, 2012 at 9:59 pm

How cool that someone wanted to set something up in VA Beach/Norfolk! I just moved from the Hampton Roads area but definitely would have been down for that. In NYC now and not having a hard time meeting other women (although I’m horrible about following through to seal the deal, ya know).

53 Laura January 6, 2012 at 10:07 pm

I have never met another blogger from the Boise area so if anyone stumbles across this let me know :) I am spending my night waiting for my indoor soccer game. It doesn’t start until 11:30pm tonight!!! Then I signed up for a running group that starts training tomorrow at 8:00 am across town…who is planning my life?!?!

54 Erin January 6, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Yay!!! Hopefully some md/dc’ers will be up for getting together. I dont mean any offense to people who are trying to have kids or have kids, its just i know way too many and right now thats their life!

I have another year before my husband will let me have a dog, i want one thats not a small one, but i dont want a big dog, technically we have a weight limit in our condo, but i can get around that by saying its a seeing/hearing dog, which it would be. I really want an australian shepard cuz they’re active but everyone says im crazy! Theyre too hyper, but theyre so beautiful, i want a dog that will run with me but also can chill.

55 Coree January 6, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Hi Erin! Those were pretty much the exact requests I had when I started “shopping” for a dog, and I ended up with an English Pointer. She’s a little under 40lbs so she fits in the middle between little and big, can run 5 milers with me (I’m sure she could go further if I wanted her too), and is currently laying on my feet. She was pretty hyper until she hit two, but she’s calmed down a lot. Just thought I’d drop the idea in your head since I completely lucked into the breed via a rescue organization,but I couldn’t be happier with her!

56 Erin January 6, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Coree – thanks! Im almost certain i would be fine with a rescue dog! Less training, but still a little training to do! I know im going to have to doresearch! My husband thinks he will end up walking the dog, but i’m pretty sure it will be mostly me! We are just waiting for the right timing and money to be more comfortable.

57 Amanda January 10, 2012 at 10:39 am

Hi Erin, I’ve been out of town for a few days and didn’t see this, but would love to meet up. My husband and I moved to Baltimore a few weeks ago from Wisconsin, via Michigan, via NYC. We’re happy to be back on the east coast, but also, looking for friends a little closer than NYC.

58 Jess January 10, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I’d definitely be interested in a DC/MD blogger meet up. P.S. DC folks, request to join our DC blogger FB group! We organize meet ups all the time: https://www.facebook.com/groups/155943974486726/

59 erin January 11, 2012 at 3:53 pm

hey Amanda —

hit me up at zlie17 @ hotmail – and i have a slight love affair with baltimore! my husband and i spent most of our first 2 years out there, but now we’re in silver spring. so hopefully we can start having some girl get togethers!

60 Janet January 12, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Hi Amanda,
My husband and I just moved to Baltimore in May (when he wasnt my husband yet). Wanna be friendsies?
-Janet

61 Allie o January 7, 2012 at 12:38 am

I don’t have a blog but I am down in southwest Florida and would love to get to know some other girls in the area to hang out! Promise I’m not weird! I feel like I am trying to make a dating profile here. But if you love trash tv, like to eat and drink then I am your girl.

62 Amandelin January 8, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I’m in the Orlando area! But I’m not sure where you mean by SW Florida!

63 Nicole January 7, 2012 at 1:30 am

Hey Rachel! I’m a longtime blog reader, but I comment very rarely. Just wanted to say I really enjoyed your post about making friends as a young adult. I recently started a new job in a big city, and was feeling completely new and overwhelmed. I lucked out, because thanks to a holiday party, I ended up sitting next to two other new girls who apparently felt the same exact way as me. Someone finally admitted, “I feel like it’s hard to make friends as an adult,” and we all breathed a collective sigh of relief to realize we were all feeling the same thing. Now we’re making plans to hang out and hopefully have some fun adventures! It was so liberating to just have someone put it out there on the table.

Coree– I’m in your area!

Anyways, keep up the great work, Rachel. I hope 2012 is a fantastic year for you. (And for the record, I really enjoy your “lifecasting” posts.)

64 Nikki January 7, 2012 at 8:33 am

I’d love to organize a Raleigh/Durham/Chapel hill meet up!

65 Bess January 7, 2012 at 9:47 am

I’d love to come to a Raleigh meet up! Keep me posted!

66 Dallas January 7, 2012 at 11:10 am

I’m up for a Triangle meet up, too!!

67 Hannah January 7, 2012 at 12:27 pm

That would be awesome!

68 Lynne January 7, 2012 at 9:31 pm

I’d love to be added to the list for a Triangle meetup!

69 Nikki January 7, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Hmmm.. this sounds great! I dont really want to post my email address on the chat, so I made a gmail account, RWraleighmeetup@gmail.com for first-email purposes. If people want to email that address with their contact information, I’ll put together a list and then respond from my personal email. Sound good?

70 Rachel January 8, 2012 at 4:46 pm

So smart!! Can’t wait to hear how your meetup goes!

71 Jessica January 10, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I’m interested in a Triangle meetup! Just sent an email to the gmail account! :)

72 [SMASH] January 7, 2012 at 9:56 am

Just swinging by to check this out… Pretty neat. What’s going on with me? Well I’m at work… ON A SATURDAY. Which is always awesome. [NOT.] Highlight of my week? Taking Turbo Kick at the gym for the first time. Felt like a badass.

WORD.

73 Cathryn January 7, 2012 at 11:21 am

Is anyone in NYC looking for some girl time? I’ve lived here for 5 years and made wonderful friends… and sadly they have all relocated and left the city. It’s such an amazing city, but people come and go all the time (as Rachel knows), but I’m still here!! I’m up for anything – drinks, running, yoga, shows, etc.

74 Margot January 7, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I’m in NYC too – just moved up last week. Would love to get something together!

75 Amanda January 8, 2012 at 9:25 am

Also in NYC and would love to get together as well!

76 cathryn January 8, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Hi Margot –

We should get together – email me: cathrynstringer@gmail.com and we can meet up!

77 Kirsten January 8, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I’m in NYC as well! I just moved here a few months ago and I’ve had trouble meeting friends. I’d love to meet some new people.

78 Madeline January 8, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I’d love to get together with some NY-ers. I’ve been here for about 3 years and am in the same spot. I’m the only one of my girlfriend’s that has stayed here! I’d be up for drinks, mani’s, brunch. Anything! Email me if you girls want to set something up!
Madcreoch@gmail.com

79 Amanda S January 13, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I’m in for the NYC meetup!

80 cathryn January 14, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Hi all you NYC girls – email me @ cathrynstringer@gmail.com – we are getting together for brunch later this month, and we would for you guys to join! the more the merrier :)
have a great weekend.

81 Sabra January 7, 2012 at 2:29 pm

So, I’m a little late to this, but Rachel, I would love to be added to the email list for the Houston meetup. I moved to Houston last February, but still have yet to make any of my own friends. My fiance (woah, that’s weird to type – last week he was just my boyfriend!) & I usually just hang out with his friends, and while they are great, it is not the same as having my own group! I’m up for a walking buddy(ies?) at Hermann Park, drinks, yoga, pedicures, girly chat sessions, exploring Houston, etc.

82 Ellen January 7, 2012 at 5:24 pm

I’m all over setting up a meetup but unfortunately, I’m in Wichita- and so far, it looks like no one else is.

83 Lesley January 7, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Anyone in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area?

84 Katherine January 7, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Anyone happen to live in the Austin, TX area?

85 Bridget January 7, 2012 at 11:16 pm

I live in Austin!

86 Hilary January 8, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Ooo ooh! West LA! I moved here in September and so far……very few girlfriends.

87 Mel January 8, 2012 at 10:49 pm

I’m in West LA, too!

88 Ali January 9, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I’m in LA too and would love to meet up!

89 Hilary January 9, 2012 at 2:08 pm

How about lunch in Santa Monica sometime?? You girls can Facebook me here: facebook.com/dortron :)

90 Megan January 9, 2012 at 4:13 pm
91 Rachel January 9, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Heyyyyy thanks for the invite! I gave my e-mail address to get the details on the next meet-up and I definitely am planning to come!

92 Simi January 11, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Hey add me to your list for Htown! Thanks! :)

93 Joyce January 11, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Coree – Have you already met up with some Bay Area girls? I’d love to be included :)

Rachel – I’m a long time reader and I love love your blog. I moved to NYC not knowing anyone and it was tough but worked out eventually.. Now that I’m back in my hometown area of SF, it’s still hard since all the GFs I went to school with are in different life stages (engaged/babies). This is an awesome idea!!