The Life: Friday Night Social

by Rachel on January 13, 2012

How’s your Friday night going?

Mine is going…about like you’d expect. I went to Target and now I’m wearing sweatpants, eating sushi, watching “SVU,” and eyeing my new magazines. Same shit, new Friday.

Tonight I have some good links to share with you!

Brain Food (Articles that made me think this week)

How to Land Your Kid in Therapy

Single by Choice

Food Food (The recipes Eric and I tried this week)

Chicken with Pepperoni Marinara (fast and easy weeknight dinner)

Giada’s Italian Wedding Soup (sans soup — it’s just a good meatball recipe)

Crock Pot Parmesan Garlic Chicken with Whole Wheat Orzo (I will be making this regularly)

All right, it’s an open thread, so tell me what’s going on with you in the comments or feel free to share your brain food and actual food!

{ 29 comments }

1 Dallas January 13, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I’m actually kind of stressed. The BFF and I are in a little bit of a fight, she was supposed to call at 8:30 so we could talk — it’s now 9:30 and no call. And we’re quasi-fighting about the fact that I feel like she’s often inconsiderate about my time, and isn’t intentional with me.

Frustrating.
Dallas´s last post ..Weekending…My Profile

2 Meghan January 13, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Has she called yet? When my best friend and I are Not so rocking, once I mm over it I call.

If she’s your friend well… She’s your best friend. And if you need anything she can give you, she will. And so sometimes we have to look past the sometimes not awesome shit.

3 Dallas January 13, 2012 at 11:39 pm

You’re like the voice of reason in my head tonight, Meghan. Thanks — it helped a LOT. You’re right, exactly right.

Tearful Friday night conversations are sometimes good, even though they kind of suck.
Dallas´s last post ..Weekending…My Profile

4 Diane January 13, 2012 at 9:39 pm

I’m having some Michigan-related nostalgia today. Sometimes, I just really miss driving to Meijer.

In other news, I’m going to Las Vegas at the end of the month for work! We’re staying at The Cosmopolitan for about a week. Any tips/tricks/must-dos from readers? (I’ve been to Vegas before, but I was like 10 years old, meaning I didn’t get to do anything fun.) We’ll be pretty busy during the day, but have a few nights free. I’ve seen Cirque du Soleil and am uninterested in Blue Man Group (beyond “Arrested Development” references), but I’m otherwise open to suggestions. I like roller derby, burlesque, and anything faux-retro.
Diane´s last post .."then when she left we brought out the vodka. i had three shots, with different fruity mixers in…"My Profile

5 gretchen January 13, 2012 at 10:29 pm

OH Meijer……I live in NC now and really, really miss that place! Haha.
gretchen´s last post ..MiraclesMy Profile

6 Kate January 13, 2012 at 11:42 pm

I went to Meijer tonight, came away with wine and Zing Zang bloody Mary mix. We’d done a big shop earlier in the week.
Kate´s last post ..life, cats, blanks, linking up.My Profile

7 Erin January 13, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I’m kinda mixed cuz my husband’s out of town and usually i have stuff to do. But since its cold, i dont have anything planned. But i totally love it when he goes out of town! Is that so wrong?

8 Rachel January 13, 2012 at 10:14 pm

No! Eric went out of town last weekend and I was totally looking forward to some quiet me time. Sometimes it’s just so nice to only have to do your thing!

9 Olivia January 13, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I’m heading back to school tomorrow, but I left home yesterday so that I could stop in Baltimore for an interview on my way back to St. Louis. I had a really long day (7:30am-4:30pm of med school interviewing and being super perky in a suit), so I’m already in my pjs and about to get into bed and watch last night’s episode of Grey’s Anatomy.
I’m going to be getting back to my (on-campus) apartment after almost a month away, so I’m going to be doing some major grocery shopping, and I’m already planning what I’ll be cooking this week. The crockpot parmesan garlic chicken has been on my list ever since it was posted, and I think it will be the perfect thing to greet me when I get home after the first day of classes :) Any other good, quick dinner recipes to try?

10 Meghan January 14, 2012 at 9:36 pm

My current favorite quick dinner is super easy: scrambled eggs (or tofu!) with lots of veggies & soy sauce. I have it with toast & almond butter, and it’s so yummy & healthy.

11 Julia January 13, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Heyyyohhhh

So, after I left work late because all of California decided to call me at 5:15 p.m. EST (damn you, time difference!), I decided to stop by the grocery store on my way to the metro. It’s cold in DC and this long weekend is going to be a soup marathon! I have everything to make your Greek stew, a butternut squash soup via Food & Wine, and maybe some chili. I know, excessive, but I really wouldn’t be opposed to staying in all weekend and looking forward to the next soup :)

Current status: Yoga pants, t-shirt, bed covered in Cooking Light, Real Simple, and Food & Wine, an actual glass of wine, and boyfriend obsessed with Skyrim. I’m also getting some strange satisfaction from updating the apps on Nathaniel’s iPad – he had 50+ updates! Can you believe that? Drives me nuts.

12 Rachel January 13, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Eric had 30 updates on his phone recently! It’s almost as bad as people who don’t empty their trash on MSU webmail.

Also, your night sounds fantastic.

13 Erin January 13, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Omg i know how you feel! We work with people in california, and that 3 hour time difference kills us every friday! Then add in dc traffic. Fortunately i got out on time!

Pancakes for dinner……i am not sure what else! Julia – can i come over for some soup?

14 Allison January 13, 2012 at 10:18 pm

I just got home from work after kind of a long day. Am eating a crappy sandwich from the deli down the street, and my roommate’s cat is staring at the sandwich and occasionally trying to take it from me. Stewing over a guy I was sort of seeing. He turned out to be mostly a flake, so it’s over, but I want the chance to tell him he’s a flake! Also just found out that my new friend at work dated him years ago and is still in love with him. Uh oh.

15 Bridget January 13, 2012 at 10:26 pm

I had a dinner party tonight. It’s weird being the only one without a baby and not married. Especially when I normally make sarcastic (but funny!) comments about those two things.

16 Rachel Wilkerson January 13, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Mmmmkay was loving David Cross on “The Soup” tonight and now I’m loving his show. God, I just can never get sick of him.

17 Tess January 13, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Glad to read that I’m not the only one having a lazy Friday night! Just made some spaghetti carbonara for myself and the boy. Now I’m nice and full and I can relax with my wine and my book. Time to detox from a hectic work week (just started a new job w/ a bunch of crazies)!

18 Cynthia January 13, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Tonight I made Thai curry pasta. Rigatoni, beef strips sauteed with onion, garlic, fresh pineapple chunks, broccoli florets, salt and pepper, LOTS of curry powder and then a nice coconut milk bath, mix, finished off with chopped cilantro.

19 Bridget January 13, 2012 at 11:01 pm

I made this with chicken last night-delicious! I brought it for work today and told one of my (indian) co-workers that I was afraid to reheat it because I hate being the smelly coworker and they got all offended saying curry isn’t smelly. I didn’t mean it to be mean-anything I reheat is smelly!

20 Rachel January 14, 2012 at 11:02 am

Yum!!

21 Sara Minerd January 13, 2012 at 10:57 pm

I cleaned the whole apartment in prep for the party I am throwing tomorrow night, and then made myself farfalle pasta & butternut squash puree (so delicious) for dinner. DEVOURED it, and now I am laying on my comfy couch watching the end of “A Walk to Remember.” So happy for a night off & a night in!

Ah! It just ended! What to watch now……?

22 Meghan January 13, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Just got back in from a small rendezvous at Sephora, they kicked us out at 7pm. Boo Rice Village. Their Birthday gift this year is meh. Loved the Birthday cake body wash from last year.

I have now sorted myself into some hot pink sweatpants and a night top. May go wash my face and moisturize till my face is a reflective surface. Wish I had some Lush face mask to throw on.

My boyfriend is playing the newish Star Wars, or, SWOR, whatevs, and I am about to settle into to book 3 of the hunger games. I may pinterest instead. I can’t figure out if I don;t love it as much as the first two, or if I am just dreading it’s end, because then I will have to find another book. Suggestions?

Trying to avoid answering some of life deep questions. I’m going to work them out on my 8 mile walk tomorrow. Also Suggestions for music?

23 chandra January 13, 2012 at 11:21 pm

I had movie popcorn for dinner as I went and saw Beauty and the Beast in 3D. Yep, I’m 28 now and I loved it just as much as when I was 8! I could barely hold back from singing in the theater! Now I’m watching Chelsey Lately and probably going to bed at 10:30 – I’m sooooo coooooollll! :)

24 Alli January 14, 2012 at 8:52 am

I book marked that crockpot chicken and orzo recipe for dinner next week and am super stoked to try it!
Alli´s last post ..What’s for Dinner? (1/8-1/14)My Profile

25 Kristina January 15, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Love this feature and ideas for new recipes…perfect for meal planning for the upcoming week! Belated Friday update: ate pasta in preparation for a long run and watched Just Married.
Kristina´s last post ..Recipe #3 – Adobo and Coconut Cauliflower RiceMy Profile

26 Carolyn January 15, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Thanks for posting the How to Land Your Kid in Therapy article! It was a really good read.

27 Mel January 16, 2012 at 11:31 am

Sigh. Just back from my 7 Day Datecation Actual Cruise Vacation. Your blog is how I’m gatewaying back into the real world :)

28 Rachel January 16, 2012 at 2:29 pm

How was datecation?? Who are you datecationing with?!

29 Nicole @ Giraffelegs January 17, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Orzo is amazing…need real food.
Nicole @ Giraffelegs´s last post ..Gold Sequins & Grunge BarsMy Profile