Wet Wednesday

by Rachel on January 18, 2012

It’s Wet Wednesday! Here’s what has me hot and bothered this lovely January afternoon.

Hot

SXSW Mentor Sessions. So here’s some news: I found out a couple weeks ago that South by Southwest has added new “Mentor Sessions” to their programming this year and I was invited to be a mentor! I’m excited to be able to share what I’ve learned about blogging, social media, and career with people there, but I’m really, really excited to be able to attend all the speakers and panels. I feel like there is just so much to learn at an event like this and I’m really pumped about it.

A weekend photo shoot. Guess who’s taking off (some of) her clothes and taking pictures this weekend? THIS GIRL. I’ve actually wanted to do a boudoir type photo shoot for a while now, as I feel like I want to have a way to remind myself of a time when I felt really, really happy and comfortable in my own skin. After always thinking about how I wanted to do this, I finally just decided to do it! A couple of weeks ago, I got in touch with one of my good friends who is also a photographer and we’re making it happen this weekend. I don’t know if “boudoir” is the right word…it’s going to be less “Frederick’s of Hollywood” and more “lazy Sunday.” I want to feel like myself and I don’t know that I feel that way when I’m all tarted up. Anyway, I have no idea what to expect or how confident I’ll feel once I take my top off, but I think it will be a good experience! Any advice from those who have done this before?

Bothered

SOPA. Soooo the big news of the day — the Internet has blacked out! To be honest, that this is news and that there are still people who are like, “Huh?! Wikipedia done shut down!? But I need to do my homework!!” is sort of weird to me. Maybe it’s because I work at an Internet startup and am surrounded by geek culture, but SOPA is something I’ve been discussing with my coworkers and friends for a while now. And by “discussing” I mean “alternately getting really angry and getting really terrified that this is the beginning of the end of free speech and the world as we know it.” I thought about blacking out my blog, but then I figured that I would just look really lame in comparison, to, you know…WIKIPEDIA being down. Then again, that “what difference will I make?” attitude is exactly the sort of thing that pisses me off on Election Day, so I’m bothered with myself for not getting publicly pissy about this sooner. Anyway, I’m bothered by SOPA itself, bothered by the amount of people who had no idea what SOPA was until today, when they tried to plagiarize their history report, and bothered that I didn’t take more action beyond shouting at my friends about it.

I’ll be honest — this Wednesday hasn’t been exceptionally warm and fuzzy. I had a migraine last night and feel pretty groggy today. But! Thinking about the good things going on in my life is cheering me up a bit.

What’s on your hot and bothered list today?

1 melissanibbles January 18, 2012 at 5:39 pm

I hear you on the SOPA. It’s been in the news for months. How do people not know about it? It blows my mind how uninformed people are about the world they live in.

2 Heather January 19, 2012 at 8:17 am

agree. I feel like I’ve been waiting for ANY one of the 28 blogs I read just-about-daily to mention it. Then when I tweeted about it yesterday, I realized – wait – why didn’t I JUST DO IT. fuck, me.

3 [SMASH] January 18, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Girl… Go read @herpderpedia on Twitter… That person is retweeting all the ignorant kids who are pissed off about Wiki being down (and most of them have no idea why). Hilarious but sad.

Good luck with your photo shoot!

4 Rachel January 18, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Yes!! I liked to a round up of herpderpedia’s RTs in my post…SO funny. And sad.

5 Nicole January 18, 2012 at 5:59 pm

I did a boudoir shoot as a wedding gift for my husband. It was tons of fun! Have a drink or two beforehand and then revel in your amazingness. If you are doing any bra-less shots, make sure you only cover your boobs lightly. Any kind of pressure from your hands or arms will result in a very unattractive squashed look. Enjoy!

6 Rachel January 18, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Ah, great tip — thanks!

7 Andrea January 19, 2012 at 10:31 pm

check out “the boudoir vixen”…. courtney is amazing and will give you great ideas!!

8 K @ The Chic Teach January 18, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I kinda get irritated with the whole elitism of people who’ve known about SOPA FOOOOOREVVER. I mean, I get it, you’re very in the know, that’s awesome. But even if people are stepping up at the last minute and getting informed, the last minute is better than not knowing at all, right?

Not saying this is your attitude, I mean, you dedicated half your blog to informing people. But I guess maybe taking more of a “WTF, this is what’s happening” attitude, versus a “WTF, how did you not know this was happening?!” attitude, will probably keep people’s ears and hearts more open. Jus’ sayin’.

9 Rachel January 18, 2012 at 10:07 pm

That’s a good point — I suppose I’m just more frustrated by the coverage of this in general; like, why didn’t people know sooner? Oh, maybe because until Wikipedia and the Oatmeal blacked out, no one in the news media was paying attention. I think it’s less of an elitist attitude and more of a, “Oh, gee, thanks, CNN, for finally letting people know what’s going on.” You know? I guess I don’t entirely blame people for not knowing…but then again, I kinda do. You know?

10 Cyndie January 18, 2012 at 10:56 pm

SOPA is pissing me off too, but in kind of a “wait…there’s no way this thing will actually pass, right?!?!” SOPA is so ridiculous that I can’t imagine anyone supporting it.

11 Jacki January 19, 2012 at 9:08 am

This: “And by “discussing” I mean “alternately getting really angry and getting really terrified that this is the beginning of the end of free speech and the world as we know it.””

… me too. That’s how I’ve been feeling and I actually got a little soapbox-y about it yesterday at lunch when someone went “Uhhh soooo … what’s SOPA?” Well, first I said to her, “Imagine an alternate universe in which you like Twilight and want to make a fan video with pictures, clips, and music from the movie adaptations.” It turned into a pretty good discussion, but my blood was starting to boil that nobody had a clue what it was.

I’m mad as hell about SOPA and even madder that most people don’t seem to give a shit. Same with the defense bill. Where is the outrage? Why don’t Americans care that our actual liberties are being eroded – not by the vague, trumped-up threat of terrorism but by our own effing government, under the guise of “ZOMG TERRORISTSSSS!!!1!!! OH NOEZ PIRACY!!!1!!! PATRIOT ACT!!! THE SKY IS FALLING, WE MUST POLICE THE WORLD!!!”

So I spent most of the day being pissy and worried and sending sternly worded communications to my Reps and Senators, posting links on FB for the uninformed, and fretting about the end of the world. It’s not even about what THIS administration or THIS generation will deal with, it’s about opening the back door and quietly pushing the Bill of Rights out through it, inch by inch, year by year, till Americans wake up and realize it’s too late.

*deep breaths*
*points to link below entitled “censorship isn’t my bag, baby”*

/rant

12 Mel January 19, 2012 at 10:12 am

Being in a LDR, I’ve used my laptop for a few “halfway between sext and boudoir” photo shoots. I think its agreat idea for you to have pieces like this to remember! I love my photos and feel so beautiful in them/looking at them – maybe because its just me with no comparisons or maybe because I usually put on my most confident face. (Like Beyonces alter ego when she performs, Sasha).

Be careful of any “holding” pictures that may lead to the elusive fat arm. I like to kneel with legs slightly parted (torso upright) bc it has a slimming and toning effect on my legs. I’ve also stolen a few VS moves – lying on back with legs daintily in the air (crossed or bent). I think these are playful n not raunchy. Just throwing it out there! Have fun!

13 Nicole @ Giraffelegs January 19, 2012 at 10:29 am

ugh! We have be discussing SOPA in every single one of my web authoring classes. Honestly I never thought anything like this could be possible.
It’s weird/dumb.
Every single class had turned into a hot debate.

14 Megan C. January 19, 2012 at 5:33 pm

I’m excited for you about your photo shoot this weekend! I’ve done two. One of which I love the pictures so much I’m doing another one with the same photographer.

I think the key is to relax (easier said than done) so have a cocktail, do deep breathing, etc whatever relaxes you. Another tip that helps is not to wear any restrictive clothing the day of the shoot because it can leave marks. They can be edited out by the photographer but it’s easier if they aren’t there. And finally trust the your instinct and the photographer’s instinct if it doesn’t feel right to you it probably won’t look right either. Now some poses are awkward and that’s ok but they shouldn’t be uncomfortable.

Oh and HAVE FUN!!

15 Melissa January 20, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Love boudoir photos–a few of my friends have done it and loved it! They also recommend music to get you feeling more comfortable.

My hot is very tame, but I’m obsessed with this pink glitter barbie nail polish from OPI’s Muppets collection. It’s like perpetual spirit fingers.

Bothered: my boss is extra micro-manage-y this week and it’s driving me CRAZY!!