The Life: Sunday Funday

by Rachel on January 22, 2012

Whew…this week! This weekend! It’s just been one thing after another! Good stuff, but lots of stuff.

I wish I could say I’m having a lazy Sunday, but I’m actually working today and I worked last night too. Still, I’ve managed to get a little relaxation in here and there, so I feel surprisingly recharged today.

Here’s what I’ve got to share with you on this Sunday Funday!

Brain Food

“Hot Coffee.” Someone recommended this documentary to me in the comments a few weeks ago and I was immediately intrigued. It’s about the lawsuit in which the woman who was burned by her coffee sued McDonald’s. Beyond that, it’s about so-called frivolous lawsuits and tort reform. I highly recommend it. It gave me a new perspective on that case and also on the American civil justice system. It’s not available on Netflix or Amazon streaming unfortunately, but you can rent it if you have the Netflix disc option. It also replays on HBO pretty frequently, so I just recorded it.

Jay Smooth’s How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Learned to Love Talking About Race. A couple people have sent this to me recently and I’m so glad — it’s right up my alley, especially after my post about talking about race.

Move Over Vajazzling. That’s right. It’s time for feathers! This is brain food in that it makes your brain think, Well what the fucking fuck next, people?

10 Disney Princes and Whether or Not You Should Marry Them. I strongly disagree with their top picks, and the fact that they snubbed Prince Eric, whom I have been in love with since I was a little girl, but it’s still a fun read.

Food Food

Chicken and ricotta meatballs in broth. This was super simple to make and that broth? Is awesome. I’m pretty sure it can cure any ills. I found it via my friend Ashley’s blog and I took her suggestion to brown the meatballs first…and it didn’t make much difference. I’m not sure it was worth it. Anyway, it’s a great weeknight dinner or for a I’m-sick-and-don’t-feel-like-cooking-for-myself-but-I-don’t-have-a-choice meal.

Baked egg boats. These have been going around Tumblr and Pinterest like mad for the past couple weeks and I’m not surprised. It’s one of those “Why did we never think to do that before?” kind of recipes. I tried them out last night because I was in the mood for breakfast for dinner. They were simple to make and so delicious. When I made them last night, I saved half of the egg mixture so we could bake in baguettes for breakfast this morning. Oh my God…just so good.

Parmesan potatoes. OK, first of all, I’m just really excited that Cooking Light introduced me to Simply Potatoes. They can be found in the refrigerated section at the grocery store and they are just fantastic. What a great, easy side dish. And the addition of Parmesan cheese is just a great idea. Eric and I have been eating these with bacon-wrapped steak and green beans for dinner. Such a great, satisfying meal, and it comes together surprisingly fast.

The best part of my weekend is the fact that because we had company, my apartment is super clean right now. Even though I have a lot to do today, it’s making me a million times more relaxed.

What are you all up to today? Any good articles or food to share?

1 Alli January 22, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Any list that describes Li Shang as “The professional panty dropped of China” is all right with me. And Price Eric now reminds me of Jon Hamm on 30 Rock…which I guess is also all right. Hmmm.

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but this Thai Beef Salad I made the other night for dinner was THE BOMB. I’m thinking of making it again tomorrow because it was that dang good.

2 Kristina @ Appetite for Instruction January 22, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Ooh that Thai Beef Salad looks amazing!

3 nikkiana January 22, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Parmesan and potatoes go SO well together! When I was a little kid, I pretty much outright refused to eat potatoes without them being covered in Parmesan.

4 Amanda January 22, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Now i really want steak and potatoes :)
So far i have spent sunday morning at my boyfriends house watching food network, and have now headed home to start on cleaning the house, and trying to get some school work done for tomorrow.

5 Nicole @ Giraffelegs January 22, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Super glad you tried an egg boat. I found it on stumble earlier today and my mom and I stared at it forever. We couldn’t decide if it was worth trying or not.

6 Stephanie @ LoveLaughterLight January 22, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I made this recipe (http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/roasted-fresh-corn-poblano-cheddar-pizza-10000001072170/) last week and really loved it! A few of my friends asked me to share it after I posted pics during my staycation/kitchenfest.

I highly recommend it. It was fantastic!

7 Jenn January 22, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Great post! I hadn’t heard of egg boats, but now I know the fate of the eggs in my fridge–and the links were all so interesting!

8 Deva @ Deva by Definition January 22, 2012 at 8:51 pm

I just bookmarked the egg boat recipe – thank you! Tonight we made a recipe from the Everyday Food magazine that was really good – braised chicken thighs with winter veggies. It was easy enough to make and made a LOT. I’m going to have leftovers!

9 Emily Susan January 23, 2012 at 10:16 am

I too was upset at the prince ranking system. They made my personal love, Robin Hood out to be a whiner and political fool! He only got a 5? and the Beast, who had to lock up his princess to keep her with him, gets a 10!!!! When he was being attacked he didn’t even care! He let his enemies storm the castle and attack his friends, while Robin Hood climbed a fiery tower to save his!

10 Suzanne January 23, 2012 at 3:03 pm

I haven’t seen “Hot Coffee”, but I did get a whole new perspective on that case when I started law school. It’s very misunderstood by most people (as are most hot topic cases, but that’s a whole different tangent). While there are some good economic arguments for tort reform, frivolous law suits aren’t the big problem everyone makes them out to be, as most judges can attest to (even in conservative states).

11 Robyn January 25, 2012 at 1:41 am

Ummm, how the hell did Prince Phillip of Sleeping Beauty not make the list?! He’s progressive enough to want to marry for love even if it meant his bride wasn’t a princess (lo and behold, she actually was, but he would have married her regardless!), he fights a freakin’ dragon to save his kingdom and rescue his love with a kiss. Plus… he can dance. How is that not at *least* an 8/10 in husband material? C’mon…

(Sleeping Beauty was always my favorite princess… :) Hee hee.)