Wet Wednesday

by Rachel on January 25, 2012

It’s Wet Wednesday! It’s really pretty wet here in Houston today too; we got some pretty crazy storms today and there have been tornado and flood warnings all day.

Anyway, I have lots of things getting me all worked up today!

Hot

Yoga videos. Let’s go back to how Wet Wednesday all began and take a moment to admire the human body with this video.

Pretty amazing, right? While I generally think that Equinox ads are extremely sexist, I find this one to be kind of amazing. I know it’s gotten quite a bit of criticism, but I actually love it.

And just to be fair, let’s check out the male form with this video

Ah, the lovely human body!

Reading more. I’ve realized that in order to hit my goal of writing better content, I have to start by reading better content. I’ve been spending about 30 minutes each night reading blogs and articles, trying to go outside of what I’d been reading for the past year so I can discover new content and people that will inspire me. The more thought-provoking articles I read, the more thought-provoking articles I’m inspired to write.

Blogging less. While I’ve certainly been posting on my blog less, I feel like I’ve been writing lot more. I see writing and blogging as two different things. As I’ve been writing more, though, I’m remembering that writing takes a lot more out of me than blogging does. It takes creative energy and focus that is hard to come by after I’ve used a lot of it up at my job already. I’ve also been using it up writing for other outlets; although it means less content here, it’s ultimately been good because I always step up my game when I’m handing my work over to someone else to publish. It’s not that I don’t want to write more here or even blog more; I’d love to. But I simply don’t have the time or brainpower to do it well. Anyway, the reason this is on my list today is because coming to this realization has made me feel so good on so many levels. I’m sure I’ll keep refining what I write and how often I write over the coming months, but I feel like I’ve finally gotten over using I’ve been doing or what I think I should be doing as my guide. And it feels lovely.

And…I have nothing to be bothered about! I’m 99 percent sure this is because I just got home from yoga and I feel all sorts of peaceful right now. I should really write my bothered list around 3 PM when I’m cranky.

What’s on your hot and bothered list this Wet Wednesday?

1 Stephanie @ On the Road to RD January 25, 2012 at 8:14 pm

That first video is incredible. And the second, also incredible. But it completely different and wonderful ways. ;)

2 Jess-ThatJessGal January 25, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I related 100% to your HOT list. It is so hard to have constant content on a blog when also reading, researching, photographing (for me) and writing. However, I agree…if you want to have good content you have to take time for the above. I’ve gotten a touch frustrated as of late with the “full time bloggers” who do this for a living and are still cranking out the some (mediocre) stuff 3x a day that they have for years now. People, if blogging is your job it ought to be damn good. Meanwhile I’m struggling to teach high schoolers, run a charity and leadership club, train for races, cook, read, write, and now become a webmaster too!

Whoa, sorry that became a touch “ranty” (guess I”m bothered by a few things, eh?). Point is, I’d rather read 3-4 really thoughtful/thought provoking posts a WEEK than 3 boring/repetitive posts a day and I agree with the fact that to accomplish the former you have to really work for it. (Thanks for setting a great example for the former.)

3 Rachel January 25, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Trust me, I could have gotten ranty too. It’s very very very hard to watch people squander the privilege that is writing full time.

Seriously, though — stop reading those bloggers who do that. I don’t mean this as an insult to them…I mean it as advice to you. I keep reminding myself that when I started blogging, I had no idea in my mind of what a blog SHOULD look like so I did whatever I wanted and I liked what I did. Sometimes you have to just step away and see how other bloggers do things to remember that mediocre shit is not the end-all, be-all or the only way to blog.

4 deva at deva by definition January 26, 2012 at 1:42 pm

This is great. I’ve actually been removing the bloggers who seem to be squandering their privilege from my reader/rotation. It’s been a slow process (because some seem to be trying…occasionally), but I feel like by reading quality material written by bloggers and writers who care about their readers, I am helping to shape myself as a blogger and writer.

The squandering is part of what influenced my constructive criticism/negativity post. It’s also what’s influenced my more sporadic, yet hopefully better, blog posts. I’d rather write what I want to read and be proud of it, than write becuse I feel like I have to.

5 Liz January 25, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Good for you for challenging yourself re: content. I look forward to reading your future content!

I’m trying to decide if I should just up and move to Austin, which is 2000 miles from me and I know all of 2 people. I have no idea why, but if I don’t do it now, I am going to get stuck in this town in PA.

6 Melissa January 26, 2012 at 1:00 am

I think your content lately has been great and it’s better than posting everyday just to post!
Well I’m loving the fact that my sister has started yoga and is loving it. I’m so happy for her.

Creepy men are really bothering me. I’m on my first business trip and its been everything a paranoid mom would tell you. The waiter the first night asked me out three different times and then followed me outside to try again. And I found the guy who delivers water at night coming out of my room last night. I really dislike male attention like that so its been a tough week.

7 Jacki January 26, 2012 at 9:28 am

Yoga-stoned … great time to write a hot list, tough time to be bothered about much! I love everyone when I leave yoga.

Okay, that video is AMAZING. I made Matt watch it with me. He’s one of those natural-born yoga-body types and could probably do a lot of that without much practice, whereas I am destined to spend years working on my core, lol. I don’t care that she’s in her underwear, I was just thinking, “she went from crow to handstand … and I can barely do crow … OMG I must get to the studio more…”

You’re doing a good thing w/your content. It’s definitely better to put your energy into better work that is less frequent – I think we all struggle with that sometimes. I have been trying to do the same lately, too.

And let’s see.

HOT: The “Just Dance” game someone brought in to work. We have dance parties on our breaks now. The prospect of a decent tax refund and therefore not having to worry about how I’ll afford my upcoming dental visit.

BOTHERED: Struggling to find readership and network more effectively. I’ve never been good at putting myself out there and now, as a blogger, I feel like I’m hitting brick walls. It’s a little frustrating!

8 Kristi Miller January 26, 2012 at 12:47 pm

I’m definitely jealous of the yoga girl in the first video! holy crap! I look more like the guy in the second video, but at least I’m trying! :)

9 Mel January 26, 2012 at 1:28 pm

YAY writing!!

10 Nicole @ Giraffelegs January 26, 2012 at 3:16 pm

I honestly felt like you have been writing a lot more, maybe it’s because most of the posts are more text heavy? I hate that phrase..
Anyway I have loved all the content so keep up the good sass.