{living in sin} Falling in Love is Like Owning a Dog

by Rachel on February 14, 2012

For Valentine’s Day this year, I gave Eric framed photos of Chuck and Indian along with a printed copy of this poem by Taylor Mali. It felt appropriate, given the year we’ve had after adopting puppies. I think it’s a lovely poem so I wanted to share. Happy Valentine’s Day!

Falling in Love is Like Owning a Dog

First of all, it’s a big responsibility,
especially in a city like New York.
So think long and hard before deciding on love.
On the other hand, love gives you a sense of security:
when you’re walking down the street late at night
and you have a leash on love
ain’t no one going to mess with you.
Because crooks and muggers think love is unpredictable.
Who knows what love could do in its own defense?
On cold winter nights, love is warm.
It lies between you and lives and breathes
and makes funny noises.
Love wakes you up all hours of the night with its needs.
It needs to be fed so it will grow and stay healthy.
Love doesn’t like being left alone for long.
But come home and love is always happy to see you.
It may break a few things accidentally in its passion for life,
but you can never be mad at love for long.
Is love good all the time? No! No!
Love can be bad. Bad, love, bad! Very bad love.
Love makes messes.
Love leaves you little surprises here and there.
Love needs lots of cleaning up after.
Sometimes you just want to get love fixed.
Sometimes you want to roll up a piece of newspaper
and swat love on the nose,
not so much to cause pain,
just to let love know Don’t you ever do that again!
Sometimes love just wants to go for a nice long walk.
Because love loves exercise.
It runs you around the block and leaves you panting.
It pulls you in several different directions at once,
or winds around and around you
until you’re all wound up and can’t move.
But love makes you meet people wherever you go.
People who have nothing in common but love
stop and talk to each other on the street.
Throw things away and love will bring them back,
again, and again, and again.
But most of all, love needs love, lots of it.
And in return, love loves you and never stops.

1 Emily @ Relishments February 14, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Taylor Mali is, by far, my favorite poet. I ran into him once in the Albany airport (and by “ran into” mean chased him down the terminal and introduced myself like a ridiculous fan girl). What a cute gift idea!

2 Megan February 14, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Cute idea! My husband and I are both dog lovers. Actually, one of the things that initially attracted me to him was the fact that he was as obsessed with his dog as I was mine. We had a close friend read this poem at our wedding and it was a big hit.

3 Manon February 14, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Love this! Our 3rd date was at the dog park, and needless to say we are both madly in love with our pooches. I’m not a huge Vday person, but I am a huge fan of gifting……so for Vday I just gave him a big box of all the little things he loves, including a framed pic of his pooch…….and a gift certificate to get his truck detailed since it’s full of hair :)

4 K @ The Chic Teach February 15, 2012 at 7:11 am

Oh my gosh, I don’t own a dog, nor am I in love, but this poem is just too good. Thanks for sharing!

5 Paige February 15, 2012 at 8:45 am

That’s such a cute poem! And also if not for the different-colored collars on your puppies, I would have thought they were the same dog. Twinsies!

6 Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie February 15, 2012 at 9:39 am

AMAZING photos. I love getting that kind of gift!

7 RAIN February 15, 2012 at 10:31 am

WOW, very creative! Love the pictures and the poem is really good.

8 Nicole @ Giraffelegs February 15, 2012 at 11:01 am

These pictures make me miss my own pups. (all said in a baby voice)

9 Holley February 15, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Oh my gosh, Rachel, check this out! (http://vimeo.com/34405880) One of the couples that used my song “Always Be” in their wedding video sent this to me. They LOVE those puggles. :)

10 Sydney February 20, 2012 at 12:12 am

Love this poem! Thanks so much for sharing.