{the life} The Soup That Was & The Yoga That Was Not

by Rachel on February 28, 2012

Yesterday I got up early to write before work, went straight to work, where I was very busy, and then came home and continued writing and doing what I call “desk errands” (doing tasks like booking flights, paying bills online, etc). By the time I was done with everything I needed to do, it had been a very long day and I was fighting a 24-hour virus: a case of the Mondays.

So I decided to really cook.

What I wanted to do was go to yoga, but it was just not happening last night, no matter how I looked at the schedule. Since it was my night to cook, I decided that would have to be my exercise and stress relief. But the only way I was going to achieve that is if I really cooked.

I’ll be honest: in the past couple weeks, I’ve been phoning it in when it comes to cooking. I’m still cooking, but the slow cooker has been my saving grace. And that’s not a terrible thing — I mean, the slow cooker is awesome — but it sort of takes away the process of cooking. And the process of cooking is, for me, as important as the finished meal.

So I got out all the ingredients to make soup from (mostly) scratch. Mini chicken meatball soup, to be exact. And then I spent an hour in the kitchen just having at it.

Eric came home from CrossFit midway through the cooking process and we chatted about our days. By the time the soup was ready, I felt almost as good as if I’d gone to yoga. (Oh and the soup? Was awesome. I make a lot of Jess’s recipes and I really think this was one of her best!) I think whether it’s yoga or cooking or taking the dogs on a long walk, I just need some sort of unplugged activity each day to really recharge.

I actually felt so recharged that I decided to get up early to go to yoga today.

I’ve actually been doing really well with my efforts to revive my morning person personality in the past few weeks. Eric and I have been getting up every day at 6:00 and taking the dogs for a long walk. By the time we get back, I’m too awake to go back to sleep. I feel like it’s getting easier and I’m waking up faster.

That said, I still haven’t been able to get to the yoga studio that early. But I finally felt like I was ready, like I’d been training for it. I was in bed at 10:30, last night which meant I really should have no problems getting up for the 6:30 class. Even though it was downtown, I was determined to go.

And I did go. I woke up easily when my alarm went off and didn’t fight getting up. I got dressed, grabbed some of the cashew milk that Eric made last night (using a recipe similar to this one), and headed out in the rain. I blasted the Spin Doctors “Two Princes” and other upbeat 90s music to get myself pumped as I made the 35-minute drive. I actually was kinda pumped. I was going to have hot yoga done by 7:30 AM! I knew how proud I was going to feel and I was actually really excited.

And then I got there at 6:20, as The Outfield’s “Your Love” was ending. I grabbed my yoga bag and headed to the door and…it was locked. Well that’s weird, I thought. I thought this was the first class of the day, but, judging by the cars in the parking lot and the locked door, there is a very full class currently in progress. I assumed it was about to let out, so I sat down on a bench to wait. And waited. And then I checked the schedule on my phone, just to be sure my class was going to start at 6:30.

And…nope. It started at 6:00. Why did I tell myself it started at 6:30? I have no idea.

When I got back in my car to drive home, my upbeat 90s music mood had ended. I switched to a different playlist and the first song I clicked on was “Maldito Alcohol.” I threw my car into reverse as the first lines of the song started and it was such a contrast to the music I had been listening to on the way there, and it matched my mood perfectly — so perfectly, it actually made me laugh, and I got over the whole waste of time and missed workout right then and there.

I really expected to be able to say that I had done more by 8 AM today than just drive around Houston for an hour listening to music, but whatever. I’m actually just really excited about the fact that I did it. I got up early. I got out the door. I went to yoga. My morning person personality is all “Don’t call it a comeback!” but…it totally is!

{ 14 comments }

1 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat February 28, 2012 at 9:23 am

I wish a 6:30 workout was early for me – my challenge is getting up at 5 to make 5:45 AM spin – and I still barely make it to work on time. :)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat´s last post ..Twist on a Tuna MeltMy Profile

2 Rachel February 28, 2012 at 9:44 am

Ugh, I wish I could get to a 5:45 class! For me, getting up before 6 is the killer part. It’s like at 5:59, I’m cranky and miserable, but come 6:00, I’m like…Eh. I got this.

3 Emily Hassman February 29, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I agree. If the clock starts with a digit smaller than 6, it’s still night time! That’s the line, for me. I used to get up at 5:45 for a 6:30 yoga class before work, but I felt *really* sorry for myself. And I often rewarded my effort with a post-yoga bagel. Doh!
Emily Hassman´s last post ..Big-girl panties.My Profile

4 Rachel February 29, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Haha I totally understand that desire to reward yourself after you’ve done a morning workout! You feel like you’re entitled to breaks all day, right?!

5 Nikki February 28, 2012 at 10:32 am

I don’t have to be in my office until 10am because I work with college students, and although I KNOW it isn’t early at ALL, I just can NOT force my self out of bed before 9am. I am so envious of your morning personality. I know I could be so productive by just getting up an hour earlier, which is really miniscule on the grand scheme of things, but it just doesn’t work out for me. That soup looks delicious by the way. I made your Sorry Olive Garden soup this weekend. It has definitely become a favorite for my bf and I, we have it about once a month!

6 deva at deva by definition February 28, 2012 at 12:04 pm

My schedule is a little crazy, so waking up early for workouts is a must. Granted, I occasionally end up just switching off the alarm, wrapping my head in the blankets, and waking up an hour or three later.. I’m just glad that when I get home from my runs now, it’s light out, instead of being dark for another hour. The small things, right?
deva at deva by definition´s last post ..Three Weeks Without a StoveMy Profile

7 Mel February 28, 2012 at 12:10 pm

What what!! Way to be headed on the right track — sometimes its the mood and energy that counts to keep you going! I also agree that real cooking and chopping can be so therapeutic.

I’ve been having very frequent “yogi fails” since I took it up. Wrong studios. Being 2 min late. Womp womp.

8 RAIN February 28, 2012 at 12:24 pm

It figures that would happen when you were intentionally getting up early and making it there! Such is life, I guess!

But it does count that you got up! And I am so glad it’s getting easier!
RAIN´s last post ..I Just Can’t Contain My ExcitementMy Profile

9 Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic February 28, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Yay for morning personalities! I make a lot of Jessica’s recipes too and so far everything has been great!
Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic´s last post ..Green Beans and Butternut Squash in Coconut MilkMy Profile

10 Dallas February 28, 2012 at 2:12 pm

You know, I kind of wish with my whole soul that I was a morning person. But I just am not.

I can fake it for a while, if I get in the rhythm of going to bed early and waking up early, but the second my schedule allows for a late night/late sleep, I do it and then it’s all ruined.

I’m just a night owl! Why can’t there be 10pm yoga classes and why can’t work start at 10am!?
Dallas´s last post ..Weekending…My Profile

11 Julia February 28, 2012 at 6:43 pm

I have ALWAYS struggled to get up early to work out – the bed always wins. But, there’s something to be said about being so productive in the morning, it makes you feel like an actual grown up. Seriously, major props to you for actually getting up and driving to yoga!

12 Katie Cummings February 28, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I’m jealous! I have to be on the road by about 6:30 for work, and I take an hour to get ready….so I am not a morning workout person, I wish I could be though! And I totally love the attitude you had about missing the class, it happens!
Katie Cummings´s last post ..February RecapMy Profile

13 [SMASH] February 29, 2012 at 9:34 am

OhhhhhEmGeeee your soup bowls just took me back. My grandma had soup bowls just like those with the handles. <3 Thanks for the memory.

14 Ariel March 1, 2012 at 8:02 am

I’m spoiled because there is a gym in my building and my preferred workout is weight lifting so I can get up at 7, be at the gym by 7:15, and then be back home and getting ready for school/work by 8 so I can be there by 9. It helps that my morning routine is pretty quick, too!