{the life} Checking In & Checking Out at SXSW

by Rachel on March 9, 2012

Despite several moments today when I thought I’d never be checked in, well-fed, warm, or dry, I am all of those things at South by Southwest in Austin right now.

As I wandered around the conference center this evening, I saw so many people blogging, Tweeting, checking in on Foursquare, posting pictures, and updating their statuses like crazy and I worried about how much time/energy/battery life I’d have to do the same. Then it occurred to me that it’s really hard to talk and listen at the same time. And though I’m technically here to talk, I’m most excited about the listening part. If I’m exhausted from the conference — and I’m planning to exhaust myself over the next four days — I don’t want or need to be near a blank page on my computer. Though I’ll still have all my technology handy for the duration of SXSW, I’ve also given myself permission to kind of check out of social media for the rest of the conference.

Yes, the conference filled with 30,000 social media people.

I’ve owned it. Sorry I’m not sorry.

PS Though I’ve checked out, my SXSW buddy Meghann has it in her to blog this weekend so you can follow her for quicker updates on our adventures (like yesterday’s margaritas and late-night Target run).

1 Nicole (colehaber.com) March 10, 2012 at 9:48 am

what session are you on?

2 Rachel March 10, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I’m doing a mentor session, which is new this year! Meeting people one-one-one for just 7 minutes at a time…like career speed dating.

3 Julie @ Sugarfoot Eats March 10, 2012 at 10:44 am

I’m moving to Austin in 2 weeks. I figured it’d be easier to move AFTER the SXSW craziness, but can’t wait to check it out next year!

4 Emma March 10, 2012 at 11:47 am

Welcome to Austin! Fair warning that if I see you downtown this weekend, I *will* scream your name and run up to you to say hi with an enormous goofy grin on my face. Have FUN!!!

5 Rachel March 10, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Hahaha please do!

6 Katrina March 10, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Sometimes you just need to unplug and take a break. Enjoy the conference! I’ve always wanted to go check it out. I’ve seen photos of a sign in Austin that says “Next week Wranglers out, Skinny Jeans in” referring to all the hipsters coming into town for SXSW. Made me giggle :)

7 Felicia March 11, 2012 at 12:51 am

I can’t even imagine the chaos and well, amazing fun one could have at an event like this. Talk about hipsters lol. I’m pretty jealous, but I totally agree with you on wanting to unplug for a bit. Lucky you ;).

8 RAIN March 12, 2012 at 8:18 am

Looks like you are having a lot of fun!
Enjoy yourself :)