{the life} It’s a Mad, Mad World

by Rachel on March 26, 2012

Last night, I was watching the season premier of “Mad Men,” which is one of my favorite shows. One of the things that I’ve always liked about this show is that they don’t shy away from showing how things really were in the 1960s — which means women, gays, and minorities repeatedly get the short end of the stick. It can be uncomfortable to watch, but I appreciate that the shows creators don’t simply glamorize this era and act as if it was a great time for everyone.

While the racism and sexism shown on “Mad Men” is certainly troubling, I think viewers still feel, for lack of a better word, safe when watching it. Oh look at how things used to be, we think. My discomfort watching this show is eased by the fact that this is not the world we live in anymore.

But during last night’s premier, I couldn’t stop thinking about how this is absolutely still the world we live in.

This isn’t the first time I’ve thought that. Truthfully, I spent last week in various degrees of rage and sadness. The weekend before this past one, I spent hours reading different articles on two topics: Trayvon Martin’s shooting and the anti-abortion, anti-women legislation currently making its way through various states’ legislatures. All I could think as I read article after article was, Wait…what year is this?  Because even though discussions on racism and sexism still take place, most of what we hear is in the context of  history. The discussion is out there but, like “Mad Men,” it’s sitting firmly in the past. We feel safe because we think, That can’t happen again. That can’t happen here. We are taught that it happened, yes, but also that it’s over.

And it’s obviously not over. I think the fact that it’s so obviously not over is what has left me feeling so shocked, angry, and helpless. It’s like the people writing the new abortion laws or defending the “Stand Your Ground” law are completely oblivious to the fact that all of these laws are really, really great for ensuring that racist/sexist/unconstitutional behavior continues to happen. Can’t they just admit that it’s oppressive? Most of the ranting I’ve been doing to Eric, friends, and coworkers is in the form of, “But really, how the fuck is this still happening?!?!?!” And because I’m surrounded by pretty liberal people, they all agree with me. So all we can say is some form of, “But really, WTF?” over and over again. I want to be articulate and say something moving, but really, all I have to offer is a bunch of variations on “fuck this crazy bullshit.” Most of the time, I’m actually speechless, which doesn’t happen to me very often. What’s going on is, to me, as outrageous and unbelievable as the issues presented on “Mad Men”…but unlike what happens in “Mad Men,” we simply can’t pretend it’s a thing of the past or something that happens to other people who are not us. That seems so obvious and yet…a lot of people still think that all’s well, apparently, because it’s still all happening.

So when I’m not cursing, I’m just thinking, Isn’t anyone a little concerned by all this? Am I the only one who is wondering how much worse things are going to get? Is anyone else scared for the future? Because, in all honesty, I am completely freaked out about the future. In the past couple weeks, I’ve been wondering what I’ll tell my children about this decade.  I mean, the things that are happening right now seem big. This feels like it must be the end of something or the beginning of something. Whether it’s an end or a beginning and whether those things are good or bad, I’m not really sure. But it seems like this could be a time that our children learn about in history class and we say, “Oh, yes, 2012. Right before shit really hit the fan.” Because it seems like something has to give. I wonder if when we look back on this time, we’ll look at Trayvon Martin’s shooting or the mandatory pre-abortion ultrasound laws as the final straw, the things that finally pushed people to take action and demand equal rights. Or perhaps we’ll look back and think that these things seem quaint because it was going to get so much worse.

And then a part of me feels very naive. I mean, every generation has had far worse stuff to deal with and then our generation was told that actually life is fair…but maybe I just to need to accept that it’s not fair and get over it. I have to wonder if my outrage is just a result of being very lucky for far too long. I can’t help but think older generations are looking at those of us freaking out and thinking, Oh, gee, thanks for joining the real worldWe could have told you this was coming years ago. How much of the outrage I’m feeling now is just a result of years of privilege, of never having to fight for anything? Perhaps we should stop expecting that people are going listen the first time we complain. I mean, Civil Rights legislation wasn’t passed by people simply writing angry messages on legislators’ Facebook walls.

I took the weekend off from thinking about all of this as much — which I don’t feel good about — but like most things you try to avoid thinking about, it hit me hard last night as I was watching “Mad Men” and now I’m back to feeling mad at the world. Does anyone else feel as confused, shocked, angry, upset, and helpless as I do? Are you ranting and raving as much as I am to anyone who will listen? I’m assuming a lot of you are as worked up as I am, so how are you guys dealing with that? Let’s discuss!

{ 36 comments }

1 Kate March 26, 2012 at 10:24 am

I don’t really have anything intelligent to say, so I’ll just say how I feel:
I’m upset that some people are questioning whether the Trayvon shooting had anything to do with race. Hello!

I’m upset that on the other hand, proving that George Zimmerman had even a slight margin of reason to believe that Trayvon WAS armed, will probably be easy for the Defense, and no justice will be served.

I’m upset that race is still a conversation we’re having, and I worry that it’s one my kids will struggle with too.

2 Jacki March 26, 2012 at 10:36 am

“I’m just thinking, Isn’t anyone a little concerned by all this? Am I the only one who is wondering how much worse things are going to get? Is anyone else scared for the future? Because, in all honesty, I am completely freaked out about the future.”

You’re definitely not the only one! Matt and I are just looking at all of this and shaking our heads and getting really, really angry and then wondering “so what the fuck do we do about it?”

We are both Libertarians. We believe in the Constitution as the ultimate law of the land and the Constitution is vague ON PURPOSE. The legislation that’s being written and pushed through by scary Rick Santorum loving types is terrifying and completely out of line. Both political parties are making such leaping grabs for un-Constitutional power that it really makes me afraid for my future children and my boyfriend’s child.

And don’t even get me STARTED on Trayvon Martin. A child is DEAD because he had the nerve {insert sarcasm here} to walk through a neighborhood while black. And the shooter gets off free and clear and even has people trying to somehow rationalize what he did? What. The. Motherfuck.
Jacki´s last post ..treating life like yoga {or, lessons in self-acceptance}My Profile

3 Jacki March 26, 2012 at 10:42 am

ANDPLUSALSO, I wonder what the Santorum lovers would think if a Presidential candidate was running on a platform of legislating Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, or Hindu tenets. Or if a candidate was an Atheist. They would care a lot more about maintaining the Constitutional separation of church and state if the guy running didn’t go to THEIR church.
Jacki´s last post ..food i’m pinningMy Profile

4 Stina March 26, 2012 at 10:50 am

YES! People seem to forget that while yes, this country was founded by Christians, these Christians were looking to escape religous persceution. They were looking for the freedom to practice their own religion. The US wasn’t founded as a Christian theocracy; it was founded as a country free of a national religion in which people could practice their religoin of choice or lack thereof.

And sweet merciful crap, I could only imagine the chaos that would ensure if someone actually did try to run on a platform or Muslim tenets…the amount of venomus hate toward Muslims that is spewed by so much of the Christian-right is terrifying. A relative forwarded me an anti-Muslim email a couple weeks ago that was so disgusting I was actual ashamed for her.
Stina´s last post ..Bread (& Circuses) on ImpulseMy Profile

5 Rachel March 26, 2012 at 10:57 am

“They would care a lot more about maintaining the Constitutional separation of church and state if the guy running didn’t go to THEIR church.” YESSSSSSSSS. I’ve been thinking about that a lot too!

6 Heather March 26, 2012 at 12:18 pm
7 Stina March 26, 2012 at 10:42 am

“I have to wonder if my outrage is just a result of being very lucky for far too long. I can’t help but think older generations are looking at those of us freaking out and thinking, Oh, gee, thanks for joining the real world. We could have told you this was coming years ago. How much of the outrage I’m feeling now is just a result of years of privilege, of never having to fight for anything?”

^ THIS. Absolutely this. I share many of the same sentiments you’ve expressed in your post, but I think a lot of it really does boil down to the fact that our generation has had it extremely easy thuis far. We have the world at our finger tips. We haven’t had to fight for much. We have, by and large, become a cuture thriving on instant gratification. And we have so many other things to distract us from what is really going on around us. We live in a culture where celebrity gossip and “news” gets discussed more than any actual issue.

I have a lot of thoughts on all these issues but, much like you and many others I’m sure, I have a hard time articulating them into any sort of cohesive, coherent and intelligent discourse. I think people are overwhelmed and unsure of what do to because this is foreign to us. I think it’s probably going to get worse before it gets better, and I think our generation will likely be witness another period of revolution like the 60s and 70s.

I want to hope for the best here, but I really do feel like I should be preparing myself for the worst.
Stina´s last post ..Bread (& Circuses) on ImpulseMy Profile

8 Dallas March 26, 2012 at 11:33 am

I really object to the general idea that “our generation” has had it easy. I think what people are saying is “those of us in my generation at a similar socioeconomic, educational, and probably racial level to myself have had it easy.”
Dallas´s last post ..2012 Verb Check-In: InvestMy Profile

9 Stina March 26, 2012 at 12:23 pm

You’re not wrong, Dallas, and I do realize the gross generalization I’m making by saying “our generation.” However, I also think that (and again, this is a gross generalization based on my experience and what I have witnessed as the experiences of others) if an apples-to-apples comparison of “our generation” to earlier generations were possible, life as it is currently is easier.

As a woman I’ve never had to worry about being allowed an education, or the right to vote, or (until recently) the ability to control my own reproductive health. Yes, these things are still more accessible to me than they are for someone of a lower socioecomonic status, but for my mother, grandmother, great grandmother, etc. some of these privleges weren’t even an option.

I’m definitely not trying to say that life is easy for every member of “our generation.” There is still privlege that comes along with being white, male, educated, of a higher socioecomonic status, etc, but there are a lot of luxuries, tangible and intengiable, that simply did not exist for previous generations.
Stina´s last post ..Bread (& Circuses) on ImpulseMy Profile

10 Dallas March 26, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Yes, I think you’re right about the luxuries, but I also think to what a black friend of mine said to me the other day about Trayvon: “Quite frankly, I’m shocked that you’re shocked.”

To him, it was so unsurprising that a black kid was brutalized by a white man and then smeared by the authorities, that my anger seemed hopelessly naive and out of touch.
Dallas´s last post ..2012 Verb Check-In: InvestMy Profile

11 Kia March 26, 2012 at 11:02 am

When I hear about a lot of the legislation effecting women and health, I am confused about how we ended up here at this point in time. I just do not get it, although I have some sense about where it is coming from. Unfortunately, I am not at all surprise that a situation like the Trayvon Martin case occurred. And it is something I fear happening to my brothers and nephews all the time. I am not a big believer in “ranting and raving”. When something upsetting (or inspiring) occurs, I try to do something in response instead of sitting with my anger. It doesn’t have to be something big, but something that can have a positive impact.

12 Samantha M. March 26, 2012 at 11:37 am

I’m in your place of looking around going, “WHAAAAA?” and talking to people of a similar mind about it, so anything intelligent I say is simply preaching to the choir.

I’ll admit that I’m at a loss, though, as to what I can do about it, and that I easily get overwhelmed and tend toward apathy. I don’t say that without a good amount of shame, but I really have no idea what to do to help stop either situation.
Samantha M.´s last post ..A Moment of HappyMy Profile

13 Melissa March 26, 2012 at 11:46 am

I am absolutely just as angry and baffled. I have been ranting so much that my husband suggested I stop reading anything that mentioned Santorum. Also, that article you tweeted about all of the different ways women’s rights are being assaulted left me incredibly sad and angry. I have no idea how we ended up here, it feels like we’re going backwards. A few years ago we’re talking about equal pay and now we’re talking about whether or not we have rights.

I am unspeakably sad about Trayvon Martin. It is so senseless.

14 Frances March 26, 2012 at 11:53 am

It upsets me that it is 2012 and we are still having to deal with the same issues. I would have hoped by now that people would treat others equally as human beings wtih compassion and kindness instead of with prejudice and intolerance. I would have hoped by now that the debate about abortion was over and that the conservatives would respect a person’s right to choose rather than attempt to make it difficult or impossible for someone to do so. Where do I think this is coming from? I think people are acting out of fear and because they need someone to blame. It is cowardice. It is re-acting rather than acting. People need to take responsibility for their actions and to focus on how their current actions are going to affect the future.

15 Caitie (ShortSkirtsandScience) March 26, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I completely agree with you. Lately everything has just been making me angry that I’ve been reading. I live in a fairly liberal state and work for an employer with liberal policies and great benefits so right now it doesn’t impact me, but seeing things become law like requiring transvaginal ultra sounds before abortions (which is the definition of rape by the way) and the debate about covering birth control which is not just used for contraception. Or the dismissal by so many of Sandra Fluke’s testimony before Congress by calling her a slut.

The fact that a viable presidential candidate, Santorum, believes that women should stay home with the children and homeschool them just blows my mind.

All of this just dismays me. I’m a Software Engineer, a highly male dominated field, and so there is a lot of turmoil going on here too.

A company called Sqoot had a hackathon to attract programmers and they offered as one of the benefits of attending as “Women.” Or the Geeklist founders attacking a girl on twitter, and trying to get her employer involved for saying that one of their ads offended her ( a girl wearing a t-shirt with their brand dancing around in her underwear).

It all just makes me feel a little helpless. I want to fight but how do I do that.
Caitie (ShortSkirtsandScience)´s last post ..Cooking FrenzyMy Profile

16 cindylu March 26, 2012 at 12:06 pm

No and yes. Yes.

None of this is new to me. Yes, it may be extreme, but it’s not new, it’s just the next step in something that’s been happening for a long ass time. Since I was a teen, I’ve watched as my state (CA) chipped away at the gains of the Civil Rights Movement with voter initiatives like Prop 187 (anti-immigrant), Prop 227 (anti-bilingual education), Prop 209 (affirmative action, this one shaped my life and social consciousness), Prop 21 (criminalization of youth), and Prop 22 (anti-gay marriage).

I was a kid at the time, but distinctly remember the Rodney King beating and the uprising over the acquittal of those LAPD officers. Every six months or so, I read about another young unarmed black (or poor or Latino or non-English speaking) man killed by police officers and then getting away with it. Sometimes I watch the actual video (Oscar Grant). Yes, I’m pissed off about Trayvon Martin’s killing and the Sanford Police Department’s bungling of the investigation. Yes, I discuss it daily with friends and my fiancé who is no stranger to getting suspicious looks as a black man who likes his hoodies. I’m not shocked nor confused that such a thing could happen in 2012. Trayvon’s death is sadly just another in a long-established pattern and systematic criminalization of black and Latino youth.

I know I may seem cynical, but I’m not. I don’t feel helpless. I have a lot of hope for people organizing for Trayvon and other social justice issues. In a week or so, we’ve seen the situation in Florida turn around and further investigation into the Martin case that could bring some justice.

I am tired of being reactionary and always being against things.
cindylu´s last post ..LA Marathon postscriptMy Profile

17 MelissaNibbles March 26, 2012 at 12:44 pm

No, you’re not cynical cindlu. I feel the same way after reading this. These are fights we’ve been having for years and years. Racism didn’t go away the day Obama was elected (like so many in this country seem to think) and every election season the abortion and birth control issues are brought up, and women are still fighting for equal pay in the workplace. You don’t need to watch Mad Men to know this.

Do I feel hopeless? Sometimes. Especially when I see people my age that don’t seem to care or follow current events or if they do, don’t do anything but whine and expect change. You have to be involved by writing to Congress, becoming active in your local Planned Parenthood or any of the other hundreds of different ways. Sure it’s great to talk about things, but it’s more important to act.

18 emily March 26, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Thank you for saying this. It makes me feel less alone! I see these things happening, and I just don’t have a clue what to do about it. I keep on going to work, living my life, acting like nothing’s wrong… it’s the equivalent of sticking my fingers in my ears and saying “LALALA I CAN’T HEAR YOU!” I just don’t know what to do.

Living in Georgia, and being very liberal, I’m often afraid to speak my mind. I don’t know how to discuss politics with someone who doesn’t seem to speak the same language as me… not the literal language, of course, but maybe the language of the heart. My heart tells me that THESE THINGS ARE NOT OK, and I don’t comprehend how others can NOT have that gut-level response.

Because I don’t know how to talk about it, I usually don’t. When I try, it seems fruitless, e.g., having an argument with a Facebook “friend” about Trayvon Martin. My “friend” said that she’s discriminated against as a white person; that the NAACP is racist because we can’t also have a National Association for the Advancement of WHITE People. I am ashamed to know her, at this point. She actually took a conversation about a boy who’s been killed, and made it about herself and her own petty complaints. I got all fired up, spent an hour of my day crafting a well-thought-out response (after texting my husband to say “WTF WTF WTF!!!”), and posted it. Do you think it changed her mind? OF COURSE NOT. It made me feel a little bit better, but really, SHOULD I even feel better? I didn’t accomplish a damn thing.

I blogged about Trayvon Martin over the weekend, because I just felt the need to say… SOMETHING. I found myself afraid to post it, afraid I might alienate someone or incite someone to argue with me. I guess I’m not very good at disagreement. I need to get over wanting everyone to like me. I did post it… but of course, not one of my friends commented about it.

As I sit here wondering, “But what do I do about all this?”, I feel almost silly. The great generations didn’t sit at their computers and say, “but I don’t know what to dooooooo!” They did something about it. Ultimately: maybe I’m afraid that “doing something about it” would infringe on my cush little life.
emily´s last post ..More important things to discuss than my breakfast.My Profile

19 Mel March 26, 2012 at 2:19 pm

These issues have me thinking a little bit about your SXSW post on the anonymity in the internet panel. I think “our generation’s” access to the internet could be correlated to 2 different scenarios: 1) those finding anonymity on the internet may become apathetic to formal and constructed politics; or find that voicing their opinions on the internet is just enough and 2) the extreme anonymous posters/haters that you see in YouTube or article comments are finding their home in more extremist politics.
It’s just a hypothesis but I think you’re right when you said that we don’t really know how to stand up for anything any more.

20 Mary March 26, 2012 at 3:17 pm

The mandatory ultrasound showings are to protect and inform the woman. There are a lot of people who have abortions who don’t actually know and understand that they are ending the life of a living being. Some abortion clinics hide that information from those who don’t know any better. And I know WE all know, but what about a young teen? A sheltered or uneducated woman? We’re privileged to have access to that information but some people don’t. Women should be aware of what’s really going on before making their choice. I’m all for empowering women.

21 emily March 26, 2012 at 3:53 pm

To me, the mandatory ultrasound treats women like we’re stupid. “Yes, dear, but do you REALLY know what you’re doing? Are you SURE?” That’s the opposite of empowering in my book.

No one is hiding what an abortion is. I truly do not believe there are women out there who a) know just enough about abortion to go get one but b) don’t really know what it is–especially with the amount of constant news coverage that abortion gets.

This proposed legislation isn’t about empowering women. It’s about chipping away at the rights that previous generations fought tooth-and-nail to earn.

22 rosy March 26, 2012 at 6:50 pm

The thing about the abortion ultrasound is that many women have ultrasounds anyway during the process of terminating a pregnancy, and it’s a decision made between them and their health care provider. If it’s not a medically necessary procedure, what is the benefit? This is assuming that a woman is of legal age to consent to the medical procedure. The language about this statute that really offends me is the description of the fetus to the woman. I think it said something like, “the provider can’t force the woman to look at the ultrasound, but the provider should describe to her what it shows.” This is offensive to me because if a woman is of age to consent to a medical procedure, why do we feel like she is unable to make the choice? Why does she need to be protected and coddled, and legislated to look at the unborn baby she’s deciding to terminate? She is a legal adult, why is she being treated like less than that?

The other part of the problem is that these are transvaginal ultrasounds, which, if they are not medically warranted or consensual just smacks of rape. I don’t mean to be alarmist, but that makes me really uncomfortable.

23 Julia March 26, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Of all the press that has surrounded the ultrasound and abortion legislation lately, this article has stuck with me the most: http://www.texasobserver.org/cover-story/the-right-not-to-know

I support empowering women to make informed decisions, but transvaginal ultrasounds border on abuse in my opinion, especially in situations where they are not medically necessary. Key words – Not Medically Necessary – meaning they do not contribute to a doctor’s ability to treat a patient, they do not help to maintain or improve a patient’s well-being.

Oh, and there has even been legislation proposed where victims of rape and incest wouldn’t be excluded from this ridiculous law. If there is any silver lining to this situation, then we can thank God that amendments were introduced in various states to modify the law to exclude these victims. Can you imagine a doctor penetrating a rape victim with a wand of several inches (SEVERAL INCHES PEOPLE) to make sure she is certain she doesn’t want to keep her baby? Of course, the average woman seeking an abortion doesn’t deserve this treatment either. She doesn’t deserve to be harassed or made to feel guilty about her decision. The piece about excluding victims of rape and incest actually brings up a good point: If the true point of the legislation is to ‘inform’ women, then what makes victims of rape and incest more informed than any other woman seeking an abortion? (And, if we really, truly want to inform people, then maybe we should actually teach comprehensive sex education and positive relationships in schools. Another rant for another time.)

The purpose of this legislation is to make a woman feel shame for her decision and that is wrong. I think that is what pisses me off the most. If you are against abortion, then be an activist, rally your people, change the law, and do it the right way. Proposing this BS legislation about transvaginal ultrasounds and the like is a cop out, and it is cowardly.

24 michelle March 26, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Well, 1) most women having abortions are already mothers, 2) abortion clinics are not hiding things – they explain that abortions terminate pregnancies, its not their place to be all “you’re killing a life,” 3) abortion is not exactly a hush hush thing in our society that no one talks about and 4) and most important of all, states that have these types of laws in place see no decrease in abortion rates.

Mandatory ultrasound screenings are just attempts to shame women and making abortions more difficult/expensive to get.

25 RAIN March 26, 2012 at 3:45 pm

This is going to be a completely unpopular response/comment.

From what I know not all the evidence has been released in the Trayvon case. I tend to believe it had to do with race, but I can’t also turn a blind eye to evidence that I haven’t heard or seen yet. No one was there, and unless someone took a video, which still might come out, who know what really happened? I completely understand being angry about it, but let’s see how it plays out. Justice might still be served, though I do understand that even justice can’t make up for a loss of life.

And on the other subject, I absolutely agree that our rights are being stripped away little by little…women’s health, healthcare, stand your ground, the political hot list goes on and on and I don’t think things are improving and I do think they will get worse.

Ok, there’s my 2 cents…

I
RAIN´s last post ..Capitol 10K RecapMy Profile

26 Rachel March 26, 2012 at 3:51 pm

“I completely understand being angry about it, but let’s see how it plays out.” I’m totally fine with that! I think what’s been so frustrating is that there hasn’t been an opportunity for that because no arrests were made and no charges were filed. If not for the country’s outrage, that’s how it would have stayed. So rather than continuing this speculation, what most people want is a trained team of people (you know, lawyers for both sides, a judge, a jury) to let this play out in court. I’d be happy with charges being filed and a trial. I don’t need to see a bunch of legal correspondents argue whether it was self-defense on TV…I want to see the defense and the prosecution argue about it in court.

27 Kristen March 26, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I’m mad as hell! I’m going to devote my summer to doing everything possible to ensure that President Obama gets reelected so he can have four more years to make positive changes.
Kristen´s last post ..This is incredible.My Profile

28 Nikki March 26, 2012 at 9:15 pm

*this* is basically the one exception to the comment I posted below.

29 Amandelin March 26, 2012 at 6:37 pm

I feel the same way. Baffled and afraid. Also, helpless. I feel like previous generations had a lot of political drive, and they made noise and got stuff done. I think we’ve lost that or, at least, that the media and general public have stopped taking it seriously when young people get passionate about things.

I also feel like we are all (myself included) woefully uninformed, and that most of the genuinely terrifying and unbelievably BACKWARDS things that are being proposed now just fly under the public’s radar, because everyone is too busy worrying about, say, the Kardashians. Or if Snookie is pregnant. Or what the Real Housewives Of A Town We Don’t Live In are doing.

30 Rachel March 26, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I’m really glad that you mentioned this. I read several blogs by women in Florida, and no one had mentioned Trayvon Martin in the last few weeks. I am outraged by Trayvon Martin, but sadly, not shocked by it. This is Florida, the state that stopped counting people’s votes for the president.

I am disgusted by the racism and sexism (and homophobia, prejudices against the disabled, etc.) that are still so pervasive in our country, and how we often address or teach these issues (namely, racism and sexism) as if they are parts of the past. But what I am *shocked* by is how people continue to vote and act against their own self interests in order to keep racist, sexist, and bigoted practices in place.

For example, today marks the start of a three-day hearing to see if Obama’s healthcare law is constitutional. Why would anyone (besides the top guys of a health insurance company who literally get wealthy off of people dying) want to overturn legislation that makes it illegal to discriminate against people with preexisting conditions, allows young adults to stay on their parents’ health insurance, and reduces the prices of prescriptions? People would rather hurt their own interests in order to put down the other (in this case, Obama, veiled as “big government”). This is what truly amazes me.

31 Nikki March 26, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Hmmm. I find the polarizing comments interesting.

To be honest, I’m not mad at all, and neither are you. If you were that upset, you’d be out there making an actual change instead of venting about it on your blog. I’m not saying that to be a bitch, but it needs to be said. Tons of people in this country complain about the direction it’s moving, the politics, the injustices, but no one actually does anything. Writing your opinion on your blog and making a public expression is important, but let’s be honest. There are better ways to enact change. I’d find this more compelling if you (or any of the commenters) told me you wrote a congressmen, signed a petition, contacted an organization, or did *anything* besides cry about it.

Just food for thought.

32 Rachel March 26, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Oh I don’t disagree, and that’s part of why I didn’t write about this last week — because I thought, What’s the point? It’s not going to change anything. I hope you don’t think that I think that writing this post counts as doing something, because I don’t.

After posting this this morning though, I did join EMILY’s List, which I’ve heard great things about; I’m hoping that it will be a good starting point/resource for ways I can take action and I’ll definitely share what I find out there. I’d also love to hear more from you (or any commenters) on other ways we can get involved to actually make a change.

33 Mandi March 27, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I think this about myself, often. Sure, I’m upset about it, but I’m apparently not upset ENOUGH about it to put myself out there in an effort to enact change.

Some of that is my circumstance: single mother and student with a full time job with virtually no time left over for that sort of endeavor, but then I also find time to redecorate shit and read blogs, so is that really an argument?

But a lot of it is that I just…don’t know where to start. I don’t have enough money to contribute politically, and I don’t know where to FIND a way in Central Florida to ~make a difference. We’re not exactly a mecca for political activism here.

34 Shanna March 26, 2012 at 9:35 pm

What bothers me about the Trayvon Martin shooting is that if he were shot by another “young thug” then nobody would have blinked twice. Please don’t misunderstand me because I think what happened is tragic but I think the root of the problem needs to be examined. The violence going on in the lower class doesn’t have anything to do with race.

35 Kristin March 27, 2012 at 6:12 am

History is cyclical. Just when a group of people think something “can’t” happen again, the cycle starts over. WWI was called the “war to end all wars”. Then Hitler started his rise to power about 13 years later and NO ONE saw it as it was happening because their naiveness made them feel safe. Mad Men makes me feel like the early 60s felt safe because everyone lived in a disconnected little bubble of how things “used to be”. Since Americans are better off than most people in the world, I don’t think we give it as much thought as the Americans of 1965.
Kristin´s last post ..Tagalong MilkshakeMy Profile

36 Bridget March 28, 2012 at 8:31 pm

I just read that they are trying to make women taking birth control for health reasons show their medical condition. WHAT?! I am not bringing in a copy of my cyst-ridden ovaries and be like SEE-I HAVE PCOS! That is none of my employer’s business! They don’t ask for a picture of a flaccid p*nic for viagra. This angers me above all! This is MY BODY and they are trying to make me less of a person for being female.