{the life} April Goals

by Rachel on April 3, 2012

Audrey Hepburn UmbrellaI’m pretty happy to see the start of a new month! Starting in mid-February, I feel like my life has been moving way too fast for my taste and I’ve been looking forward to getting a chance to breathe come April. Now that it’s arrived, it feels like a good time to come up with a couple new mini-goals.

Pitch at least one story a week. I’ve been doing well with pushing myself to write more, and this month, I want to start taking that to a new level by focusing on pitching new publications and blogs. Normally I just do it haphazardly, but getting more organized in this area just makes a lot more sense.

Take at least one weekend yoga class. I cannot wait to get back to yoga this month! I’ve gone once in the past month and it’s driving me crazy. But my pitching skills actually paid off in a big way for me a couple weeks ago when my yoga studio asked me if I’d be interested in writing blog posts for them in exchange for free yoga classes. Um, yes please! I’m totally thrilled because I couldn’t afford to take yoga classes right now otherwise. (Do not underestimate the power of bartering if you’re strapped for cash!) Now that I have an unlimited membership again, I’m ready to get back to going four times a week, and I want to make sure one of those classes is a weekend class. It shouldn’t be that hard, but a lot of times I just talk myself out of weekend yoga classes. If I could start doing two of my four classes on the weekends that would be amazing, but I’ll start with aiming for one.

What are your goals for April? Anyone else feeling energized by the fact that it’s now spring??

{ 25 comments }

1 Rachel @ Healthy Chicks April 3, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I need to create some April goals too. I’m with you on the needing to slow down thing; it seemed like everything was moving far too fast and I never stopped to breathe/check in with myself. Some new goals of mine include:
-Morning workouts: I’ve been neglecting exercise like crazy which in turn adds to my stress/anxiety/fogginess throughout the day. If I get it done in the morning, I know I”ll do it.
-Yoga, preferably 1-2 times a week – If I “can’t” make it to yoga, then meditating should suffice!
-Making more “me” time. I tend to be a workaholic when it comes to working and doing things for other people, but, um, what about me?
Rachel @ Healthy Chicks´s last post ..Time for Yourself & Roasted Balsamic Veggies for TwoMy Profile

2 Triz April 3, 2012 at 4:27 pm

That’s cool about the yoga classes! When does that blog start?

3 Rachel April 3, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Thanks! It’s actually up and running already!

4 Olivia April 3, 2012 at 4:29 pm

totally energized by the arrival of spring! I also start working full time at the end of the month, along with graduating from college – yay!
Olivia´s last post ..When You Wake Up Early…My Profile

5 Kaytee April 3, 2012 at 4:37 pm

The only thing that kinda stinks about the weather in Hawaii is that you can’t tell the difference in the seasons. I used to complain about the lack of seasons in Texas, but at least they have a tiny bit of spring & fall and their own version of winter. But yes! I’m pumped that it’s Spring! My main goal for this month is just to get married and spend some quality time with my family. I don’t think I’ll have my chance to catch my breath until May, but I’m definitely not complaining.

I know I told you on Facebook, but congratulations x1000 on your engagement! You look so happy and your ring is gorgeous!
Kaytee´s last post ..Tornados in North Texas. Send good thoughts that way for me…My Profile

6 Mel April 3, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Is it weird I’ve been wondering if the “Goals” posts would make a return? Hearing others’ goals is always a nice reminder for me.

My April goal is to APPLY FOR JOBS LIKE F’in CRAZY!!! (Like its my job outside of my job?) I’ve spent a lot of time building myself up professionally, mentally and emotionally and I think I’m finally ready to move onto bigger and better. +Plus for my sanity, my finances, my relationships and just general well-being, I neeeed to take the next step in my career and life!

7 Rachel April 3, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Ha, perfect timing!

And that’s a great goal! Can’t wait to hear how it goes!

8 jodi April 3, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Can you share your yoga blog posts? Would love to read what you have to say…….

9 Rachel April 3, 2012 at 7:15 pm

I’m not going to post it publicly, just because it could be a safety issue for me, but I’ll e-mail you the link if you’re interested!

10 jodi April 4, 2012 at 8:22 am

yes please!

11 Deva @ Deva by Definition April 4, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I would also be interested!
Deva @ Deva by Definition´s last post ..SlackerMy Profile

12 Emilia April 3, 2012 at 5:32 pm

That’s insanely cool about the yoga classes; just shows how being familiar with social media is so useful nowadays (and writing, of course!).
My goals for the month are mixed, since I’m out of uni for the majority of April. I do, however, want to outline all of my final essays, finish up internship applications and try as many new restaurants in nyc as I can.
Here’s to an awesome April! :)
Emilia´s last post ..Cool-ness: Au BreveMy Profile

13 Amanda @ Click. The Good News April 3, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Cool trade on the yoga classes. I’m still full-steam ahead on my yoga, photography & soul nourishment project. I’d love to chat with you sometime & bounce ideas off you. You going to share your yoga blog writing? :)
Amanda @ Click. The Good News´s last post ..Zoe’s TreatmentMy Profile

14 Chelsea April 3, 2012 at 6:09 pm

I’ve been looking for a good yoga studio in Houston. Where do you go? Is it hot yoga?

15 Rachel April 4, 2012 at 9:33 am

You should check out YogaOne and Big Yoga! YogaOne has all types of classes, many of them hot. Big Yoga just opened and I haven’t had a chance to check it out yet but I’ve heard great things so far from friends!

16 Chelsea April 4, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Thanks!

17 Katie Cummings April 3, 2012 at 7:11 pm

I have 12 new years resolutions I’m working on this year, but what I really want to focus on is getting a start on my race scrapbook and stick to my half marathon training!
Katie Cummings´s last post ..Plans for the FutureMy Profile

18 Emily Susan April 3, 2012 at 10:05 pm

I am started turbo fire a few days ago, so keeping it up is my goal! I am also trying to do yoga every other day, however, I am so terrible i wonder how much good I am doing!!

19 Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie April 4, 2012 at 8:10 am

April is going to be all about getting healthy for me! Starting physical therapy and hopefully getting back into the gym, and keeping an eye on my portion sizes. Oh, and reorganizing my closets for Spring. Container Store, here I come! :)
Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie´s last post ..March Round-UpMy Profile

20 Rachel April 4, 2012 at 9:31 am

God, I love The Container Store. I can’t even go in there because I’ll spend a million dollars. It’s worse than Target.

21 Dori April 4, 2012 at 8:37 am

Awesome about the free yoga! That is such a great way to get free classes.
Dori´s last post ..Leaving NYCMy Profile

22 RAIN April 4, 2012 at 2:54 pm

WOW! That’s great about the free yoga! You can’t not go now! :)

I am not ready for spring yet! Seems like we barely had a winter…and I think we are having a winter straight to summer thing, missing those perfect spring days! :(
RAIN´s last post ..Where Do I StartMy Profile

23 Jenn April 4, 2012 at 11:49 pm

I’m just really curious, why the emphasis on weekend classes? Isn’t a workout a workout? Especially if it’s not something that takes several hours out of your day (i.e. training for a marathon).

24 Rachel April 5, 2012 at 11:13 am

It’s twofold really. First, weekends are when I have the most time, so I can relax and enjoy the class more (because I’m not on my lunch break or rushing there straight from work). I’d really rather have another weeknight free and then give up a couple hours on the weekend. Second, while I like lazy weekends, I don’t like being TOO lazy; I always feel better when I squeeze in a class!

25 K @ The Chic Teach April 5, 2012 at 6:37 am

It’s funny, because when I was really into going to yoga often, my weekend class was the one I would skip out on occasionally. Now, it’s the only one I can manage to get to! Starting out my weekend in downward dog is really the best thing, and Saturdays are made infinitely better because of it! :-)
K @ The Chic Teach´s last post ..Homespun favoriteMy Profile