{the life} My Hot & Heavy Saturday Night

by Rachel on April 9, 2012

My weekend was amazingly relaxing. I had Thursday and Friday off of work for the holiday and it couldn’t have come at a better time. I was so lazy and slept so much; it was glorious.

I did re-join civilization on Saturday evening for a friend date with my new friend Katie, who I’ve been hanging out with for several months now. We had plans to go to Big Yoga, which I have been wanting to check out since it opened last month. One of the owners is one of my favorite instructors from the studio where I go regularly, so I expected great things — you know, like a class that ends with wine and socializing.

Yes, that’s what we were getting with their “Hot and Heavy Saturday Nights” class. From the Big Yoga website:

A Saturday night heated flow class for YOU to sweat, shake your booty, and just have a good ol’ time! After class, we will hang out, have fun, and let loose! Big Yoga will supply some wine and other tasty treats for after the class, but please feel free to BYOB as well! Let’s party!

Perfect for a friend date, right? And actually, perfect for going solo and meeting new friends too. I’ve been reading that more and more yoga studios are offering social opportunities along with classes, which I think is awesome. The easier it becomes for people to make new friends as an adult, the better.

After I got to the studio and signed in, the co-owners Nancy and Laura (who were also co-teaching the class) told me to find one of the Easter eggs hidden in the lobby and said that we’d open them during class. I found an orange egg and then headed into the studio to set up.

Oh. “Hot and heavy.” Emphasis on the hot. I didn’t realize that I was heading to a 105-degree class; if I had known that, I definitely wouldn’t have worn ankle-length leggings. I’ve only taken one hot class in my life and I was a bit nervous that I might, you know, die.

Katie showed up a bit later and we set up our mats and caught up for a little while before the class started. Then the instructors came in, turned on the music, and we started class.

And class? Was so fun. Seriously, I don’t remember ever laughing that much during a yoga class, not even other classes I’ve taken with them. Both Nancy and Laura had us cracking up and dancing to the music. And speaking of music, that was a huge bonus. I’m used to doing yoga in total silence or to sort of electronic/New Age/instrumental music. When Kanye West “Stronger” started pumping out of the speakers on Saturday, I was so excited. I didn’t realize how much I miss great music during classes. In this case, it just gave the whole class a really hip, youthful, relaxed energy.

After about 20 minutes, the instructors had us open our Easter eggs; each had a piece of paper with a number. We started a flow and then the person with number one had to shout out our next pose in the flow. We added that on and slowly went about adding more and more poses but starting from the beginning each time, like a huge memory game. By the end, it got pretty silly, but I don’t think anyone really cared — everyone just did her own thing and we all finally came to chair pose to end. Then we all sort of collapsed in a big slippery, sweaty mess on our mats. (Well, OK — I collapsed in a slippery, sweaty mess. A lot of other people had towels so they may have not slid into home quite like I did.)

After class, we caught our breath and then migrated to the lobby, where they had wine and snacks. Red wine sounded absolutely awful at that moment, but Katie and I stuck around for food and socializing. Unfortunately, the socializing was a little awkward; a lot of people just talked to their friends. I was really happy when a few people there just broke the ice by asking Katie and me our names and getting us talking. I left before Katie did and she said that I should have stuck around; when there were less people there, things got a lot more social. I am planning to go back with Katie again and both of us are comfortable going back alone if the other isn’t around. Next time I will definitely be more comfortable striking up conversations with people and I’ll plan to stick around longer.

I’m excited to have another successful friend date under my belt and the opportunity for many more Hot & Heavy Saturday Nights in the future!

{ 15 comments }

1 K @ The Chic Teach April 9, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I love yoga socials! It’s awesome to chat with people outside of the normal class setting.

And about the other women? You know what, people are such creatures of habit, and I’m not even surprised that people stuck to themselves at the yoga thing! I bet if anything, they were nervous to go out on a limb and talk to you.
K @ The Chic Teach´s last post ..Welcome to my lifeMy Profile

2 M April 9, 2012 at 12:19 pm

oh! I had planed to go to that class!! (ended up stuck with other (less fun) plans) Nancy and Laura are two of my favorite instructors –their enthusiasm is amazing. Bummed to have missed meeting you and Katie there! Any chance you may be up for a reprise this Saturday? (or another class at BY this week)

3 Katie April 9, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Hey!! I am doing the 40 Days program so I am there pretty much every evening. Feel free to introduce yourself! I will be one of the many young women in black crops and a racerback. Ha! But seriously, Big Yoga is the best. I LOVE that they don’t take themselves too seriously. If you wanna meet up for a class let me know!
Katie´s last post ..40 Days to Your Personal Revolution: Week 1My Profile

4 M April 9, 2012 at 1:49 pm

I totally will! Probably will be there tonight for the 6:30 class and/or tomorrow for the 6:15am… are you by chance planning to attend either of those?

5 Katie April 9, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Yes–I am going to 6:30 tonight! Wanna email me? katieklacik@gmail.com
Katie´s last post ..40 Days to Your Personal Revolution: Week 1My Profile

6 Meghan April 9, 2012 at 12:20 pm

They say it’s only 90, but I’m pretty sure they are lying.

Have I ever mentioned how much I enjoy Big Yoga?

7 Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie April 9, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I love the idea of having a fun, casual place for adults w/ similar interests to meet & greet – Too bad it ended up being clique-y. I’m not big on yoga but that sounds like a really fun class, music, laughter and games sound awesome!
Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie´s last post ..Hippie 2012 BreakdownMy Profile

8 Dori April 9, 2012 at 12:56 pm

The music! I love yoga classes like that, it really does sound like a fun class even though I really don’t like hot classes. Love the socialization aspect as well.
Dori´s last post ..Leaving NYCMy Profile

9 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 9, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I take a hot hip hop yoga class each week – I love the change of the fun music to help power through tough poses!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat´s last post ..Easter EatsMy Profile

10 RAIN April 9, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Yoga to Kayne!? Sounds fun, and I like the idea of everyone calling a pose though I bet it did get confusing!
What a great way to spend a Saturday night!
RAIN´s last post ..Eggs & Horses, My Weekend in PicturesMy Profile

11 Emilia April 9, 2012 at 3:55 pm

That sounds like an amazing yoga class, I can imagine the music helps motivate you to power through difficult poses. The social aspect of the class also sounds great. I know people say that exercise classes are a good place to meet new friends, but it can be awkward to talk to someone with sweat dripping down your face!
Emilia´s last post ..Rainy Cup: Oslo Coffee RoastersMy Profile

12 Mel April 9, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Dance AND yoga??!!! Sounds more like my cup o’ shots.
Mel´s last post ..MelKrak: Accidentally bit into a habanero pepper for lunch. Whew.My Profile

13 Katie Cummings April 9, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I am so jealous!! When I lived in the Twin Cities (minnesota) I was able to go to Corepower Yoga which had a sculpt yoga class that rocked my socks with awesome music, and I am very sad to be living more than 2 hours away from them now. But I’m glad you got a great experience!
Katie Cummings´s last post ..Beginning Training and Having Fun!My Profile

14 Jess-ThatJessGal April 9, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Wow. Can they open a sister studio in BFE so I can practice? I love the idea of the Easter Egg flow. Fun times. Can’t wait to hear more!
Jess-ThatJessGal´s last post ..Monday Meals-Quick & ComfortingMy Profile

15 Emily April 11, 2012 at 10:05 pm

As an introvert, the idea of having to call out a pose (even in my beloved studio) is a little bit… nerve-racking. But the whole idea of saturday night party yoga sounds fun!
Emily´s last post ..begin againMy Profile