{getting it} The Worst Day of the Week for Achieving All The Things + May Goals

by Rachel on May 2, 2012

Even though my verb for this year was push, I’ve realized that I have a little bit of a problem with that when it comes to weekends.

I have so many goals for this year — writing more, writing better, making lots of new friends, doing lots of yoga — which seemed fine until I realized that I was beating myself up in a major way for not using my free time “better.” I’d go into each weekend feeling super ambitious, but before I knew it, it was Sunday night and I hadn’t written anything, cleaned anything, exercised anything, or cooked anything…and so, in my mind, I hadn’t achieved anything.

It’s taken me some time to get over this. I grew up believing that weekends were for being productive and I felt guilty for not doing more. I’ve always been a “wash and chop your veggies on Sundays so you can make salads all week!” type of person. But when I came to the realization that there is nothing that will get me to even look at a veggie on a Sunday (or a Saturday), I started to question my own motivation and then I started to tell myself, well, if I’m not willing to chop my veggies on the weekend, then I don’t deserve to eat delicious salads all week, right? JUST WORK AT IT MORE AND YOU CAN HAVE ALL THE THINGS.

Living with Eric has really helped me let go of this mentality; seeing how he was totally comfortable spending his whole weekend watching TV and maybe getting around to grocery shopping at 10 PM on Sunday night helped me start to see that maybe I was being too hard on myself. I hate to admit it, but I think this is something that is really pervasive in female culture. When I ask my best female friends how their weekends were, it is always measured in terms of productivity: “Well, I accomplished a ton on Saturday..I worked out, made cookies, went on a date, volunteered, worked on my grad school applications…” A weekend is often seen as just “eh” if nothing deemed worthwhile was achieved: “My weekend was dece…I was a lazy bum, I just watched reality TV all weekend and barely left the house.” When I ask my male friends how their weekends were, there is never any mention of productivity. A weekend is considered good if the majority of its hours were used for doing nothing. None of the men I know go into weekends with a plan or a to do list, a fact that left me scratching my head for a very long time. (“So wait…you like just…did nothing all day? But…when do you…do things? But…then…how can you still achieve All The Things? But…what? I don’t follow. IS THIS MALE PRIVILEGE AT WORK?”)

It wasn’t until I saw strong women with awesome careers and families openly admit to doing nothing on weekends that it really clicked for me. First Tiffany Shlain talked at SXSW about how her family unplugs on the weekends and then Sheryl Sandberg said she leaves work every day at 5:30 — but confessed she was afraid to admit this publicly for a long time for fear of judgment — and I was finally able to own that this was something that I needed to do to be a healthy and happy human being.

So that’s all well and good, right? Yes, it is. I feel awesome. I still feel really happy with the amount of time I’m committing to my personal and career goals, but instead of spreading that work over the course of seven days, I’m packing it in to five days. I spend my weekday mornings and evenings pushing myself to accomplish everything on my to do list; each weekend, I unplug a little bit more, and each Sunday night, I feel a little more relaxed and recharged. Oh, and my work hasn’t suffered; it’s improved.

It’s all so exciting and wonderful…except I haven’t quite figured out how to deal with the fact that THERE ARE STILL THINGS THAT I NEED TO DO.

Like, yes I’m much happier now that I just laze around on the weekends but…this laundry ain’t gonna wash itself. And my tub? And my lunch situation? Ugh ugh ugh. It’s not like I’m living in squalor or something, but I’m living in a way that makes it very hard for me to organize myself mentally enough to actually do my work. For me, cleanliness isn’t next to godliness, but it is next to success and productivity.

So this past weekend I had another fabulously unproductive couple of days, and, come Monday morning, I realized I had no clean underwear to wear to work. I mean, technically I had clean underwear, but it wasn’t really fit for my daily routine; the $30 bits of lace and string that live in my bottom drawer are underwear like the shadows in Plato’s Allegory of the Cave are real people. It’s “underwear.” Not only did I not have underwear, I just didn’t have clothes. What I had was tons of dirty laundry, laundry that would have been clean by now if I had just been willing to turn of “Sins & Secrets” on Investigation Discovery long enough to put it in the washing machine. (Side note: WHY IS ID SO AMAZING?? It’s so awesomely cheesy and I can’t get enough.) On top of the fact that I had no clean clothes, I also had nothing prepared to pack for lunch. I was so proud of myself for actually dragging my ass to the grocery store (correction: Eric dragged me, I deserve no credit) that I didn’t feel the need to actually, you know, turn the ingredients into something edible.

I got through Monday with the help of “underwear” from my bottom drawer, a total joke of an outfit that I actually had to change midday (my only clean tops were sleeveless…I knew I needed a new strapless bra but I didn’t know mine was actually nonfunctional), and lunch from Subway. I went to yoga after work and as I was on my way home, I thought, I’m not going to change once I get home. I’m going to stay in my dirty clothes and get really dirty doing some chores.

Normally I’d never plan to do chores on a Monday night. Because work nights are for like…well, I don’t know what, but not chores, right? I’m not sure how I got that idea though — when I was in school, school nights were for work and weekends were for play. But now that I’m an adult, I feel that I deserve happy hour, entertainment, and snuggling on weeknights and then I force myself to do penance on Saturdays and Sundays.

But hitting rock bottom (and, yes, wearing an uncomfortable faux-jewel-encrusted piece of lingerie as underwear to work due to my own lack of motivation is kind of my rock bottom) turned out to be a really good thing for me because it helped me realize that weeknights are actually great for doing chores. When I do chores on a Saturday, I feel bummed because it’s like, Ugh, I spent my whole day doing chores and I feel so dirty and I was supposed to be relaxing and having fun because IT’S MOTHERFUCKING SATURDAY, Y’ALL! But on a Monday night? Well, let’s see. I don’t have to make dinner…I’m not in the right mindset to write anything, but I’m not that tired and it’s too early for bed anyway…oh, and I’m already dirty from yoga! Oh! Oh! I know! MAYBE I SHOULD CLEAN SOMETHING.

And oh, how I cleaned on Monday night. When I got home, Eric was actually already on it; he had cleaned the kitchen and was in the middle of making dinner and assessing what needed to be done for the dogs, who were just…filthy (as was everything they touched or even looked at this past weekend). While he finished dinner, I scrubbed down my yoga mat and then immediately started separating my laundry. And from there, I was just unstoppable.

Four loads of laundry. Lunches for the week. Coffee. Chai banana bread. Oh, and while I’m at it, let me exfoliate, do my nails, and floss my teeth. AND TOMORROW I WILL EAT HEALTHY FOODS, WEAR CLEAN CLOTHES, AND WRITE LOTS OF WORDS.

The lesson? Doing nothing on weekends actually means doing nothing and…doing chores is doing something. This was a total “getting it” moment that I really can’t believe I didn’t have sooner. I can totally achieve All The Things this year…I’m just not going to do it on Sundays.

So. With that in mind, I feel pretty optimistic about my verb for the year and my plans for the month of May.

May goals:

• Mondays: I clean.
  • All other weeknights: I read and write like a motherfucker. When I’m not doing that, I’m going to yoga classes (preferably two per week).
  • Weekends: I do the things that make me feel human (because, sorry, even though I feel extremely happy when I’m writing like a motherfucker, I don’t feel quite like a human being…I feel like a motherfucker).

What are yours?

1 Ericka @ The Sweet Life May 2, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I so love this post. I have the same “productivity syndrome” as you and have always struggled with “doing nothing.” And, yes, guys are SO like that. My boyfriend would be perfectly happy to watch TV all day on Sunday and do nothing else. That would be A-OK for him. For me, I’d feel like lazy crap. Even though I don’t really want to watch tv all, it would be okay if I did every so often, you know? Anyway, I have learned to enjoy the nothing sometimes — and feel less guilty the older I get thankfully. But your post was certainly a good reminder. Love your stuff :)

2 andrea. May 2, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Yet another great example of why I love you, Rachel. :) I am a HUGE fan of the whole ‘weekends are for sloth’, but there’s such a stigma around it. I always find I encounter two types of biases — there’s the ‘productivity bias’ — which basically seems to be that you need to get 500 errands / chores done — and the ‘social butterfly bias’ — which seems to imply that you have to cram as many social outings into your weekend as possible — brunches and lunches and happy hours and baseball games and so on.

I am lazy. I am an introvert. I am A LAZY INTROVERT. And to me after a week of being at work and getting stuff done, I just need to recharge, you know? And that means being by myself and doing things that *I* want to do. (I mean, with my fiance. That’s different.) And I honestly feel a ton of judgement at work on Mondays when everyone’s all “WHAT DID YOU DO THIS WEEKEND I WENT OUT DANCING AND THEN I WENT TO BRUNCH AND THEN I WENT TO COSTCO AND THEN I HOSTED A BIRTHDAY PARTY FOR MY MOTHER’S NEIGHBOUR’S DOG IT WAS SOOOOO FUN.” And I’m all, “I watched 23 episodes of Special Victim’s Unit.” Even though I had a GREAT weekend, I always feel like I get this weird sort of pity from people.

Hahah, sorry for the long comment. Apparently I have a lot of very strong feelings about this!

3 Rachel May 2, 2012 at 9:37 pm

I literally laughed out loud at “I watched 23 episodes of Special Victims Unit.” This was an awesome comment. I think you really nailed it with the two types of pressure and the pity…I definitely feel the social pity since I don’t have a lot of friends here!

Also, please never stop shouting “I AM A LAZY INTROVERT” at the people who make you feel guilty for it. That phrase made my night.

4 emily hassman May 3, 2012 at 9:13 am

From another lazy introvert, YES YES YES!

5 grace b May 2, 2012 at 9:49 pm

AMEN!

This is exactly how I’ve been feeling lately. My boyfriend have had pretty much solidly busy (social engagements, travel, generally Getting Our Shit Together) weekends lately and they aren’t really going to let up. So I let myself procrastinate EVERYTHING.

+ a long work commute via public transport and then on weekday nights I am mentally done. But I still have a lot of stuff to do! And probably am going to scrap together $5 to buy lunch at Burger King (yet again) because I was too lazy to make you know, food.

So basically those first two paragraphs were a vent. And this one is to say that I really appreciated this article and it resonates with me. Hella bookmarking it (California has rubbed off on me….) :)

Thanks Rachel!!

6 Katie Cummings May 2, 2012 at 9:52 pm

My boyfriend is similar to you, does absolutely nothing on the weekends! Which bugs me, because I like doing stuff on Saturdays and Sundays (thats when my mom does them also). But its good to find the time and find what works for you as a couple.

7 Mikala May 2, 2012 at 10:24 pm

My sentiments exactly. Nothing ruins my weekend like having to drive around town running errands with a million other people and their kids. No thank you. A successful weekend in my book involves a long run or bike ride followed by R&R. I try to clean on Thursday evenings so that I can enjoy my weekend in a clean home.

8 Emily Susan May 2, 2012 at 11:03 pm

My husband is all about the relaxing weekends, and i like them to a certain point. When I don’t get anything done, I go into panic mode around 6:00 on Sunday night and end up staying up really late to get stuff done. Thus i go into the week feeling pretty crappy.

However, I take my “day off” during the week, I am a graduate student, and on the day that i do not have to go on campus, I have a “lazy laundry day” I sleep in, watch tv, and do laundry. If I am watching tv I don’t mind folding clothes. I do this during the week because 1. my husband is not here so I have total control over the tv and 2. it helps me stay sane, a midweek break is awesome if you can swing it!

9 Drea May 2, 2012 at 11:16 pm

YES. This post could not have been written at a better time for me! Between my social life and my boyfriend’s social life and training on weekends, and work and working out on weekdays, I feel like I have so little time for ANYTHING. Laundry, cleaning, remembering to call the cable company. Watching 6 episodes of New Girl back-to-back! Wah!!

I’m still working out how to reconcile doing things and keeping my sanity, but it’s really reassuring that you were able to figure out a method. I’m hoping one will come to me soon, too.

10 Rachel May 3, 2012 at 10:59 am

I hope this method works! I’ll report in next month how it went. If this doesn’t work out, I’ll be seriously consider um…paying someone else to do my chores for me.

11 Emilia May 3, 2012 at 5:22 am

Thank you for writing this post! I have exactly the same trouble with my weekends, I feel like I have to do everything, so I end up not doing all that much and feeling really bad about it. Sure, right now with a billion essays due in for university, I might have to do a bit of work on the weekends, but I can also make time for laziness and allow myself to have time for laziness.

I like the idea of how you arrange your week as well, I definitely think I’m going to try something similar for May. Also, it definitely seems like this problem occurs all the time with women. It’s such a shame! Why is there this social idea that we need to be productive and do a million things all the time? Argh!

Anyway, thank you for writing this post. It’s nice to remember that I’m not the only one who struggles with productivity and relaxing on the weekend. :)

12 Stina May 3, 2012 at 8:09 am

I just want to say thank you for this post. I’ve been struggling with productivity A LOT lately, and this post has really inspired me to start thinking about it and tackling that issue.

13 Gene @boutdrz May 3, 2012 at 8:52 am

i stopped interpreting everything after “wearing an uncomfortable faux-jewel-encrusted piece of lingerie “…..
sorry i’m not sorry…
;)

14 RAIN May 3, 2012 at 9:07 am

Great post!
I think it’s so hard to unplug…and do nothing. I don’t find myself doing nothing too often, and maybe I need to.
I am so exhausted on weekdays though! It seems I can put the laundry in the washer, and then in the dryer, and there it sits for a day!
Would be nice not to feel like my whole Saturday is spent cleaning the house though!

15 Meghan @ Run With Meg May 3, 2012 at 9:14 am

I like your work during the week not on the weekends plan. I swear my boyfriend and I have the same conversation every Friday night. He has no plans for the weekend and I rattle off everything I want to “get done”

16 Shannon May 3, 2012 at 9:19 am

I think referencing Plato’s Allegory of the Cave in a blog post buys you many, many hours of TV this weekend. Props.

17 Rachel May 3, 2012 at 11:02 am

HA…I literally laughed out loud at that. Thanks. ;)

18 Karen May 3, 2012 at 9:22 am

Good for you with deciding to make Monday your productive night! So far I have failed to accomplish this because as soon as I hit the couch in the evening, it’s game over.

I totally agree with you that I’m more productive (and relaxed) when everything is clean and I don’t have a ton of errands cluttering up the back of my mind. My problem is I’m never home on the weekends because I’m usually at my boyfriend’s who lives an hour away, so I don’t even really have the option to get any of my shit done on the weekend (which means I can be as lazy as I want and I never feel guilty about it). Then it all builds up to the one day off I have during the week every so often and I’m faced with all my neglected chores when I’d rather be doing what I want to do instead of cleaning.

Here’s to trying to reclaim the weeknights again for productivity! Thanks for the inspiration!

19 Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie May 3, 2012 at 9:22 am

This is such an awesome post! I think everyone can relate to this. I love love love to relax and do nothing and plan nothing on my weekends. I work 12+ hours a day during the week, plus errands, life, blogging… On the weekends I want to do NOTHING. Watch movies. Order food. Nothing. And then on other weekends I have an insane To Do List and the BF thinks I’m crazy while I’m running around trying to accomplish things and I still feel like I got nothing done come Monday… I think you’re spot on about relaxing your mentality AND planning better. That combination juuust might fix the ‘case of the Mondays’ I’ve been having lately…

20 emily hassman May 3, 2012 at 9:23 am

I’m struggling so hard with this. I’m a “lazy introvert” too, ha, but I rarely allow myself to be that way. I feel supremely guilty if I laze around on the weekend, and I will apologize over and over to my husband for being a bum. (Which is ridiculous, because he’s a HUGE fan of “weekends are for relaxing.”)

With my schedule right now (full-time job, grad school, yoga), I feel like I’d be fucked if I didn’t accomplish certain things over the weekends. But I also know that I’m 10x more productive when I’m rested, and feeling guilty sure isn’t doing me any good. All made more complicated because my husband works 10-hour shifts on Sat & Sun, so I’m alone all day.

Clearly, something I need to keep thinking about!

21 emily hassman May 3, 2012 at 9:24 am

Oh, and “all the things” made me giggle. My only mode of cleaning is “CLEAN ALL THE THINGS!” (or leave it all dirty).

22 Kavi @ Lab to Fab! May 3, 2012 at 9:37 am

Love this post! It’s so much easier (and satisfying) to do chores on weeknights and keep the wknds for fun stuff!

23 Natalie May 3, 2012 at 9:37 am

This is probably one of my favorite posts you’ve ever written. My schedule recently changed so that I work from home, and so I guilt trip myself during something that used to be simple, like breaks.

When I take a break from working – or even stop working for the day – it’s all BUT LAUNDRY, BUT I NEED TO VACUUUUUM.

I just need to “Shhh….” and get ‘er done!

24 Sara May 3, 2012 at 10:11 am

I like being busy in general – I feel like I get more stuff accomplished if I have a set schedule of time to do it. But lately, I’ve been having a hard time keeping up with my chores. And I get mad if I have to do anything on Sunday besides church. I love lazy Sundays, watching 10 episodes of whatever on Netflix or catching up on my backlog of television or reading a whole book in one day. I’m trying really hard to give each chore/room a day – like clean bathroom on Monday, kitchen Tuesday, vacuum Wednesday…etc. But the I get home, and Grey’s is on or that book from the library is due tomorrow and then its Saturday and I have to do all the things so I can have Lazy Sunday. This encouragement to get more done on the weeknight couldn’t have come at a better time – I’m probably going to need it tonight when I’m suppose to be tackling laundry!

25 Sarah May 3, 2012 at 10:27 am

This post has a lot going on, and I love it. While I am going to institute Monday Cleaning Days pretty much immediately (getting it moment!), I think the most interesting thing going on here hasn’t generated a ton of comments – the gender disparity part.

I think you’re right that it’s part of female culture. Women have taken on more and more responsabilities as traditional roles change. But men aren’t being taught to pick up the slack. You don’t hear men asking how to balance work and family. Instead, women are expected to have a career AND keep a house, keep ourselves impossibly beautiful, and generally take care of everything and everyone in our lives.

Individually, some men realize that being in a modern relationship means splitting all sorts of responsabilities (I’ve really enjoyed reading about your relationship, and your conscious efforts to find a balance). But they see that because women (their friends, their sisters, their partners) specifically demand it. They aren’t taught from childhood that they need to Achieve All the Things the way women are. Mostly, though, expectations of men just do not include as many Things to Achieve. You end up with a lot of free time that way.

26 Rachel May 3, 2012 at 10:54 am

“You don’t hear men asking how to balance work and family.” You do in my apartment! Ha…really, though, I agree completely that men are less likely to have an issue with doing nothing because in their minds, there just isn’t that much to do. There’s a lower expectation for men…they can have a “bachelor pad” that is just expected to be messy until a woman comes along to “civilize” them. I think this kinda goes back to my post on learned incompetence from last year (http://www.rachelwilkerson.com/2012/01/09/un-learning-learned-incompetence/). I think the best we can do is demand it of the men in our lives who weren’t raised that way and then do our best to raise our boys to see that chores are for everyone.

But your point about how women are expected to have a career and keep a house, be beautiful, and be caretakers is one I’ve been thinking about a lot, though that’s a whole separate post for another day. However, I highly recommend The Meaning of Wife if you’re interested in this topic! It’s a great read.

27 Sarah May 3, 2012 at 3:53 pm

“You do in my apartment!”… love it!! It’s clear that you do, which is awesome. Clearly Eric is a great find, I didn’t mean to sound hard on him or on men in general. There are plenty of men that rise far above societal expectations. I really enjoy reading about you two figuring this out together – and I know that your insight will be helpful when I have a serious SO later. Thanks for navigating all the hard stuff before I get to that point. :) Also, that post on learned incompetence was seriously one of my very favorites. It started a conversation with one of my guy friends that continued off and on for days.

I’ve been meaning to look at The Meaning of Wife since you mentioned it before. Clearly I just need to get to it already.

28 Rachel May 3, 2012 at 4:05 pm

You didn’t sound harsh! And, to be fair, while Eric is great, he’s not perfect. I think he’s become more enlightened because I’m so passionate about these topics, but it’s not always intuitive…and ya know, I’m OK with that. While it’s awesome to meet people who think about these types of issues, I understand that not everyone does (and I know there are plenty of issues I never thought about until someone close to me told me it was an issue!) so all I ask of people is that they have an open mind and consider something besides the cultural narrative so many of us were taught.

And DEF get Meaning of Wife and let me know what you think once you’ve read it!

29 Sarah May 4, 2012 at 10:31 pm

I don’t meant to hog up all the comment space, but this is something I tend to go on and on about. I look forward to hearing more from you on the topic! It doesn’t bother me if someone hasn’t thought about it before, only if they refuse to think about it after I bring it to their attention. I don’t have all the answers, but it’s vitally important to me to have the conversation anyway.

30 Diane May 3, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I think I’m just getting the “it’s OK to do nothing on weekends” memo as well. As a performer, ALL the shows I’m in (and the shows I need to go to for friends/networking purposes) are on weeknights. These days, I’m more apt to be found drunk on a Wednesday than on a Saturday. By the time the weekend rolls around, I just want to watch movies, order a pizza, and maybe do a couple loads of laundry. I think it’s all about establishing a weeknight routine that allows you to do a little bit each day. It really does add up. I don’t know if you’re familiar with “Unfuck Your Habitat” (http://www.unfuckyourhabitat.tumblr.com) but it’s an AMAZING blog that really helps with cleaning/routines/general adulthood behaviors. It’s helped me a lot!

31 Kristen May 3, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Thanks for this post. I totally got this concept when I was in my early 20’s and it worked great for me! So what happened in the past decade or so? (older reader alert) I’m not sure but I think it’s definitely time to reintroduce grocery Tuesday or laundry Monday or something. Not just for me but because this whole concept of women working our tails off all weekend isn’t one I want to pass on to my daughter.

32 Savannah May 3, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Great post Rachel! I totally feel you on this. On weeknights when I get home, it’s a wrap. I may go to the gym, may start some laundry, may pack my lunch for the next day but most likely I will have changed into my comfy clothes and park my butt on the sofa. Then when weekends roll around it’s all running errands, fitting in an extra gym sesh, and spending QT with my WifeToBe. However the half started chores from the week don’t get completed and the Sunday rolls around and I feel like didn’t do ANYTHING and my week starts crappy.

I am definitely going to start scheduling my weeknights so I can get more done. I am starting to realize that scheduling really is everything. I’m kinda resistant to it because I want to feel like I can be spontaneous but I also know that I am better able to be spontaneous if all the things that need to be taken care of are done.

33 Christina May 3, 2012 at 1:21 pm

“I’d go into each weekend feeling super ambitious, but before I knew it, it was Sunday night and I hadn’t written anything, cleaned anything, exercised anything, or cooked anything…and so, in my mind, I hadn’t achieved anything.”
This statement is the reason I heart your blog! You’re able to articulate wth is going on with me, and make me realize I’m not alone. Thanks for that.
I envy your Dirty Monday night….Good God do I. :)

34 Rachel May 3, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Thank YOU for this comment! :)

Also, my chore night will be known as “Dirty Monday” from here on out! So awesome.

35 Christina May 4, 2012 at 6:21 am

Sweet! I look forward to future Dirty Monday references.
Long live Dirty Mondays! This could totally become a movement.

36 Kim May 3, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I started a new job with the government and don’t have a lot of vacation time, so I decided I needed to make my weekends my vacation time. That means no chores and no major cooking. This means Monday I often have to buy lunch, but I make sure to cook the rest of the week so I don’t feel too bad. During the week I do at least a half hour of chores around the house. I have found that as long as I do this consistently, everything stays at a very reasonable level of clean. So…enjoy those weekends!!!

37 melissanibbles May 3, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I’ve never been a productive weekend person. Never will be. I like sitting on my ass watching tv, sitting on my ass eating, sitting on my ass at the beach or sitting my ass on a barstool. That’s the most you’ll ever get out of me on a weekend. I don’t think it’s a man vs. woman thing. It’s just a personality thing.

38 Renee @ Bendiful May 4, 2012 at 11:05 am

I feel like this all the time! So much pressure to be productive actually makes us unproductive. Vegging is ok as long as it isn’t all you do :) Good for you for taking the weekends off!

39 Fit Girl May 5, 2012 at 2:44 am

Loooove this post Rachel, as I sit here…on a Saturday literally dividing out my hours of productivity!! My OCD is too much that I can actually fully relax and my week days are long ass as it is as I don’t have a 9-5 as such, however, I know that the busier I am the more productive I get, and have time for heaven forbid…relaxing!! Later today I am attending a hen that involves afternoon tea, cocktail making, then dinner…so I plan to work like a mother fucker until then and then relax…does that count? Kinda? A work in progress, non? Anway, thanks for sharing what all us girls experience all the time…still don’t get how my BF can couch-sit and not feel guilty!! Bon Weekend!!

40 Stacy W May 5, 2012 at 7:05 am

Love your post! I feel the overwhelming guilt of not accomplishing anything over the weekend many Monday mornings. Lately I’ve attempted to do everything on a Wednesday/Thursday stretch but I’m liking this Monday idea.
It’s great to hear someone else rationalize the Sunday chill and understand that success isn’t measured by how much we can accomplish 100% of the time.

41 Aaron May 5, 2012 at 2:40 pm

This…is…awesome. I love your voice and miss you so much.
XO

42 [SMASH] May 7, 2012 at 10:55 am

I’m just all about doing my errands whenever it’s convenient. I like to grocery shop at 8am on Saturday or Sunday mornings. Sure, it sucks to be up that early, but I like to go when it’s least crowded because if I don’t, I’ll rage stroke out on everyone.

Sometimes I have super productive weekends, sometimes I don’t. I’m fine with either as long as basic things get done… We have to have food for the week, we have to have clean undies for the week. Everything else will fall into place.

43 Mel May 7, 2012 at 3:37 pm

I’m not sure if I should admit this but I’m not a super plan-y person. Just in that I don’t need need to be always busy or following a plan and on a schedule. I wonder if that part of me will change with milestones like kids (aka more responsibilities…or Jewish mother guilt – which is a real thing).

GOOODLUCK writing ALL THE THINGS this month!!! Keep us posted on how it goes :)

44 Jennifer May 8, 2012 at 4:35 pm

So glad you wrote about this because, lately, I’ve been doing the same thing! I used to feel like I had to get a million things accomplished on the weekends, too, but especially since I started living with my BF, I’m much more protective of my “down time.” He’s taught me that I don’t have to rush around on the weekend to enjoy it, and it’s also made me more mindful of my budget. I don’t have to BUY things on the weekend to feel like I had a good time. I fill my weekdays up with workouts, chores, writing and reading and meetings and volunteering. The weekends are MINE and I’m finally starting to be OK with that!