{the life} Spinning Right Round at DEFINErevolution

by Rachel on May 8, 2012

Last night, Eric and I shared a lovely candlelit…workout.

While I love my yoga routine, I’ve been missing other workouts — namely spin classes and classes at DEFINE – a lot. I had been thinking about trying to get to DEFINE once a week for a few reasons and when I found out that DEFINE had just opened a new location and was offering DEFINErevolution, a spin class, I was really excited. I was even more thrilled when there was a Tidbits & Treats deal for Define the day after the new class was announced. It was perfect timing.

Well, almost perfect timing. I found out later that day that my surgery is scheduled for tomorrow, so it wasn’t exactly the time to start a new workout routine. Still though, I wanted to give the new class a try because…why not, right?

Though we typically don’t work out together, Eric also purchased a deal, just because we could both use the extra motivation of a buddy once a week. We attempted to go on Sunday night, but the class was full, so we ended up going to last night’s class.

The new DEFINE location is, as I expected, gorgeous. (The parking lot, however, was a nightmare. The lot was tiny, full, and nearly impossible to back out of once you realized it was full. Luckily, there was more free parking across the street; next time, I’ll just go straight to that lot.) With each new location, they really seem to be stepping up their game and making things increasingly cushy and beautiful. (Their Facebook album has great photos.) The new spin studio was dimly lit, packed with bikes, and had candles burning throughout. I was pretty sure this meant class would be taught in the dark which I was really excited about; I love darkened spin classes and the candles were a nice addition.

Each bike had a blue workout ball on top of it and I noticed that people were grabbing weights too. Oh, so it was going to be that kind of a spin class. I’ve read about a lot of group cycling classes that involve strength training; though I’ve never taken one myself, I definitely was not opposed.

Still, though, I was worried that my ass and shoulders might be opposed. I haven’t taken in a spin class in God knows how long and I was sore from my yoga class Sunday night. If it hadn’t been for the surgery this week, I probably wouldn’t have been as eager to go last night. But, I figured, I might as well push myself really hard in this class, as it was going to be my last class for a while.

The class was pretty full and I was super pumped by the time class started. I love classes at DEFINE…there is good music, good instructors, and just really great energy.

But, to be honest, I didn’t LOVE DEFINErevolution.

It’s not that it wasn’t a good workout; it was. It’s just it’s a new class and there were still some kinks that I think they might need to work out. First, Eric and I both noticed that the bikes got super jerky whenever we came out of the saddle, unless we turned the resistance way up …like, past the level that was appropriate for us. The bigger issue for me was that the whole “strength training on a bike” thing is new to a lot of people, and I don’t think they did a very good job of explaining everything that was going on to beginners. There wasn’t a lot of talk about safety and form (which drives me crazy as a former instructor!) or enough visual instruction when it came to the weights and different positions. During the weights portion of the class, the instructor walked around a lot, and in the completely dark classroom, you really couldn’t see what she was doing and the verbal cues were hard to follow. I’d taken enough classes at DEFINE to figure it out, but Eric had a harder time keeping up. Oh, and then there was the fact that the strength training was really difficult with the bikes packed so closely together. Eric and I had to go out of our ways to avoid elbowing or punching each other while lifting weights.

That said, there were a lot of things I liked about the class. I got a great cardio workout. The use of the ball and weights was new and different for me, but I think with a bit more instruction and planning, it would have been awesome — when it worked, it was great. Though I didn’t love the majority of the music, that’s something that can easily be solved by taking the class with one of the instructors whose music I do love. I really like DEFINE and I’m sure they’ll work out the kinks with the new class before too long.

And, actually, they will probably work out those kinks before I get back there for another class! I’m not exactly sure how long it will be before I’m back to working out after surgery, but I’m not going to try to rush my recovery. My candlelit workout was something of a last meal, and I’m OK with that. My body was so tired last night (and still is today) but, fortunately, I’ve got a few weeks to bounce back.

{ 16 comments }

1 Dori May 8, 2012 at 10:37 am

I take spin classes at Flywheel sometimes and they dedicate one song to using light hand weights, but the instructor stays on his bike in front so we can all easily see him and know what to do. I’m sure Define will smooth these kinks out though, since their spin class is new. Sounds like a really great workout option!
Dori´s last post ..Nike+ SportWatch GPS ReviewMy Profile

2 Rachel May 8, 2012 at 10:41 am

I was wondering how Flywheel did it! I think the instructor staying on the bike would make a huge difference. How do they deal with the whole punching-your-neighbor thing?

3 Dori May 9, 2012 at 10:32 am

We use weighted bars, not hand weights, so there isn’t too much outward movement and there’s enough space so that you’re never punching anyway. I also forgot to say that your hair looks GORGEOUS in this pic!
Dori´s last post ..Nike+ SportWatch GPS ReviewMy Profile

4 deva at deva by definition May 8, 2012 at 10:52 am

this sounds like a fun class – I’ve never tried spin before, though.

I hope your surgery goes well and that you’re back up in no time!
deva at deva by definition´s last post ..So, About that Half MarathonMy Profile

5 Katrina @ 'Sota is Sexy May 8, 2012 at 11:00 am

I recently became certified to teach Spin at the YMCA, and will be teaching my first class next week (!) They actually don’t allow us to use any weights or even instruct students to remove their hands from the handlebars at all during class because it’s apparently a safety issue? Not sure how I feel about that…I was actually hoping to incorporate some weight training into my spin class. What type of moves did you do with the weights?

Hope surgery goes well tomorrow — fingers crossed for you!
Katrina @ ‘Sota is Sexy´s last post ..The IncidentMy Profile

6 Rachel May 8, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Good luck with your first class! That makes sense about the weights…I could definitely see going hands-free as a liability.

So the weights were light (I chose 2 pounders) and the moves were small movements, high reps. Think bicep curls, shoulder presses, flys, etc. and variations on those + lots of pulses. We also did a bunch of pushups/pulses while seated with our hands on the ball, as well as abdominal curls with our hands on the ball (the curl is really central to DEFINE’s workouts; if you’ve ever done Core Fusion, it’s essentially the same thing). I hope all that makes sense, but let me know if you need more description!

7 RAIN May 8, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Wow, that sounds really hard to be lifting weights while spinning. I haven’t done spinning in awhile but as I recall it, it’s tough and you need to be pretty focused just to push yourself. I could see myself having a really hard time getting it all together, even if it was light in the room…but in the dark? Sounds tough!
Also sounds like they are trying to cram WAY too many people in one room…that would annoy me as I kind of like a little space while exercising.

I hope your surgery goes well, and that you recover fast :)
RAIN´s last post ..I have discovered Instagram!My Profile

8 [SMASH] May 8, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Sounds like a pretty interesting class; hopefully all the kinks will get worked out for a more enjoyable experience soon.

Good luck with your surgery. I had to backtrack because somehow I missed that post!

9 jenna k May 8, 2012 at 2:13 pm

i really need to try some of my gym’s exercise classes. i really like my routine now, but i could use something different now and then. i don’t have any friends that belong to my gym, so i’m just too chicken to try it by myself. i love that blue top, btw!

good luck with your surgery! you’ll be in my thoughts!
jenna k´s last post ..Recent nomsMy Profile

10 francine May 8, 2012 at 9:21 pm

best of luck with your surgery!!! i’ll pray that you recover well, and quickly!! take care!

11 looloolooweez May 9, 2012 at 12:04 am

Good luck with that surgery! I’ll be sending you good vibes tomorrow. ^__^

12 Parita @ myinnershakti May 9, 2012 at 8:04 am

I’ve recetnly become a Spin class addict. I absolutely love the workout. I just don’t know how I would fare trying to multitask while on the bike. Makes me laugh just thinking about it!

And good luck with your surgery!
Parita @ myinnershakti´s last post ..Bittersweet TimesMy Profile

13 Hannah May 9, 2012 at 10:12 am

Good luck with your surgery today! I hope all goes well, and you’re back to feeling like your old self in no time!

14 Kavi @ Lab to Fab! May 9, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I give you credit for working out the night before your surgery! Hope it went well :)
Kavi @ Lab to Fab!´s last post ..St.Albert Park and the Auckland Art GalleryMy Profile

15 Kelsey Langley May 10, 2012 at 8:59 am

Using weights during a cycle class seems like an awesome workout. I took my first spin class last night, so I don’t think I am close to being strong enough for strength training… I need to get the cycling part figured out first!! It was in the dark with only a black light which was really cool!!
Kelsey Langley´s last post ..Cycle = Love/HateMy Profile

16 Nkenge May 16, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I keep walking by the spin class at the gym. I plan to take the beginSpin class this week,
Nkenge´s last post ..Adventures in Exercisng 1.0My Profile