{the life} What I’ve Been Eating

by Rachel on May 17, 2012

I guess I’m in a list-making kind of mood this week; now that I’ve shared what I’ve been reading and what I’ve been writing, I figured I’d share what I’ve been eating!

Mostly it’s a lot of my go-to favorites. Eric and I have started eating certain meals almost every week because, honestly, long trips to the grocery store are cramping our Lazy Sundays. Also, if it’s healthy, fast, cheap, as far as I’m concerned, it ain’t broke. But even though the ingredients for steak fajitas and spaghetti almost always appear on the grocery list, I’m still trying to throw new recipes into the mix as often as possible.

Chai banana bread from Cooking Light. I loved this bread! It turned out so well.

Soft-boiled eggs from Eat, Live, Run. I tried soft-boiled eggs for the first time back in NYC in February and was really into them. I saw this recipe last month and was excited to try it for myself. It’s definitely a process, but I’m doing pretty well with it lately. They are starting to turn out well enough that I’m actually going to reward myself for my lovely eggs by buying some of those cute and totally necessary egg cups.

Creamy vanilla bean cashew milk from How Sweet. Right after I got my juicer, Jess and I got into a conversation about cashew milk and then she went and made this perfect recipe.

Buffalo chicken meatballs from the February issue of Glamour magazine (if you don’t have the magazine, The Little Kitchen That Could has the recipe). Eric is a big fan of making meatballs on one of his nights to cook, so he made this recipe a few weeks ago. It was really easy and really good; we’re making it again this weekend.

Roasted chicken over creamy asparagus pasta from Eat, Live, Run. My asparagus went bad so I had to improvise a new sauce based on what I had in the fridge; the pasta turned out fine and the roasted chicken was really good.

“The best pasta with tomato sauce you’ll ever have” via Cup of Jo. Those are her words, not mine. This was just OK, but it looks awesome and the title is pretty ballsy, so I will accept that I may have screwed this up some how.

Creamy Tuscan white bean pasta from How Sweet. This tasted a lot like carbonara, but the beans and roasted red peppers added a nice twist.

On the menu for tonight? Steak and potatoes. Tomorrow? Tilapia burgers with watermelon salsa. Next week? Anything and everything from the June issue of Cooking Light; it’s seriously awesome.

What have you been eating lately? Any good recipes to share?

{ 11 comments }

1 Meghan @ Run With Meg May 17, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I have been drooling over the new cooking light issue! It’s going to be a ridiculous grocery trip this weekend, I can’t even decide what to make first!
Meghan @ Run With Meg´s last post ..Countdown to the WeekendMy Profile

2 Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie May 17, 2012 at 8:08 pm

I’ve eaten so much junk food and crap in April that all I’ve wanted lately is vegetables and fruit. I’ve been eating nonstop, but nonstop healthy too. Veggies w/ hummus, protein balls, overnight oats, stir fries, roasted veggies, baked sweet potatoes, tempeh, BBQ tofu, tofu jerkey, dried edamame & goji berries trail mix, seaweed snacks… Cant. Stop. Eating. :)
Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie´s last post ..Cruising In VersaillesMy Profile

3 Mel May 17, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I have only had soft boiled eggs twice – and they were both at Legoland in Germany in like 1992 and 1993. The cups were the cutest part and thinking about it now, I realize I must make and try them as an adult!

Also, I had been wondering about that chia banana bread recipe since you tweeted about it – looks awesome!

4 Sarah | The Cyclist's Wife May 18, 2012 at 1:02 am

You did not mess up that tomato sauce. I made it too and it was well…not so much. I like mine better! :)
Sarah | The Cyclist’s Wife´s last post ..Recipe Find – Joy the Baker’s Savory WafflesMy Profile

5 Rachel May 18, 2012 at 9:22 am

Ah, OK, good to know! NO ONE MAKE THE TOMATO SAUCE.

Do you have a link to yours? Or want to paste it here?

6 Rachel @ Healthy Chicks May 18, 2012 at 8:30 am

YUM! I have the June issue of Cooking Light too, totally loving every bit of it. It’s PACKED :) Your Tilapia Burgers with Watermelon Salsa sound especially salivating. Can’t wait to see howt hey came out :)
Rachel @ Healthy Chicks´s last post ..Green PolkaDot Box Interview + Huff Post ArticleMy Profile

7 Kavi @ Lab to Fab! May 18, 2012 at 9:06 am

The buffalo chicken meatballs sound delicious – and the recipe looks easy to make!
Kavi @ Lab to Fab!´s last post ..1000 StepsMy Profile

8 Jane May 18, 2012 at 12:24 pm

I’ve been eating a lot of the Fettuccine Alfredo from Chloe Coscarelli’s cookbook. I’m not a vegan, but I can’t have cream (or a lot of other stuff– I have a digestive disease), and I love alfredo, so I tried this despite my skepticism and ended up loving it. I’ve been making it with shredded zucchini instead of pasta mostly, and I think I’m going to go right now and make some to eat with steamed broccoli.

9 Eilish May 18, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Hey Rachel,
I made this recipe last night and it rocked my world. Seriously super simple, quick and delicious!

Cheers!

10 Rachel May 18, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Mmmm this looks good! Adding it to the “to make” notebook; thanks!

11 Aj May 18, 2012 at 6:35 pm

OK I’m obsessed with the vegan sausages on Post Punk Kitchen. I know I’m about 5 million years behind the times but I always assumed they would be way complicated and they’re not! I made them twice this week and put them in steamed artichokes (then roasted it all together with some olive oil) and in marinara sauce over pasta. In love! Even if you’re not vegan, I highly recommend because they’re low fat (if you make the version with tomato paste), very easy to make (I didn’t have the right beans or all the right spices, so I experimented and they were still delicious), and just plain tasty (not really fake meat-y, just good). A really good alternative if you’re trying to do a meatless day or cut back on high fat meats.

I’m definitely bookmarking the cashew milk recipe! I’ve been dying to make some since we got our vitamix!

{ 1 trackback }