{the life} What I’ve Been Wearing

by Rachel on May 18, 2012

What I’ve been reading, what I’ve been writing, what I’ve been eating…and one more list for you today! Here’s what I’ve been wearing lately.

Neon nails. After seeing one too many sets of neon nails on beauty blogs, I had to try it for myself. I usually keep my nails and clothes pretty neutral, but I decided to experiment with a shot of ridiculous color. I went all over town looking for the highlighter-esque yellow shade I wanted and finally found it about a week after I started looking…and then subsequently came across it from different brands at two more stores the exact the same day. I’ve been wearing “Funky Yellow” by Kleancolor (which I had never heard of, but it only cost 99 cents!); there is also an American Apparel version that is all over Pinterest. Anyway, since I’ve started wearing it, I’ve gotten tons of compliments (and most of them from were from my male coworkers).

American Apparel. Speaking of American Apparel, I’ve started shopping there again for the first time in years. I loved their basics in college, and had many a sorority slogan printed upon their tees and hoodies, but I don’t really want to wear sorority tees out in public anymore (sorry — DOVE LOVE, GIRLS!). Instead, I decided to buy a few plain versions of the tees I liked best. I’m in love with the unisex V-neck tee. It’s really roomy, so I’ve been wearing it tucked in to skinny jeans, around the house with leggings, and to bed. I’d also been planning to get a plain version of a Sigma Kappa hoodie I loved, and then last week I got an American Apparel Groupon for…that same hoodie! I ordered the navy version (and I’m wearing it in the picture above).

Hanes boy briefs. I’ve never understood the appeal of “boy short” underwear. Every pair I’ve ever tried on has been so uncomfortable. They ride too low, they’re cut too high…they are awful. But last week after my surgery, the hospital sent me home in what I can only assume were unisex underwear…and I loved them. They were like full shorts, not that cheeky shit Victoria’s Secret likes to do. I liked them so much that I decided to look for something similar at Target and decided to give the Hanes cotton boy briefs a try. And I love them. They are so comfy and really flattering. Also, I’m a sleep-in-just-a-tank-or-tee-and-underwear kind of person and these are really great because they offer a bit more coverage come breakfast time.

Self Expressions bras. So, I forgot to pack a bra when Eric and I went to Wichita for Thanksgiving. (I was wearing a tank with a built-in bra in the car.) We went straight to Target as soon as we arrived so I could find something to last me for the trip. I ended up buying a “Self Expressions” bra, and, despite the cheesy name, totally loved it! When I finally bought myself a new strapless bra last week, I decided to forgo the one I’ve always worn from Victoria’s Secret and go with the same brand, and it was another great success! Target lingerie, man. Because I needed another thing to buy every time I go into Target.

Shoes with holes in them. Seriously. OK, all of my shoes started falling apart at seemingly the same time. Literally falling apart. My sandals, my boots, my favorite flats, and my Vibrams. I didn’t want to replace them because 1. I don’t want to spend the money and 2. I love all my shoes and no new shoes I’ve looked at appeal to me. (Well, I didn’t want to replace the Vibrams because they started falling apart after two months, but that is another story.) I don’t have a lot of shoes but I really love the ones I have…which is why they are falling apart. So a couple weeks ago, I decided to start getting them repaired instead. I felt kind of weird about trying to save a $50 pair of Steve Madden sandals but I love them and having them repaired is cheaper than buying new ones. My plan is to start replacing each pair of shoes one at a time until I have them all up to code. (Seriously, continuing to walk around with sandals that have a broken sole is…nervewracking. And the holes in my boots are kind of problematic on rainy days.)

What have you been wearing lately? Any fashion or beauty obsessions to share?

1 Ashley Breton May 18, 2012 at 11:21 am

Hey rach — how many coats did you have to paint for that color payoff? I’ve been finding that I love the neon nails, but I have to either paint white underneath the color or paint 3-4 coats to get a true neon shade. Where did you buy the polish? Never heard of the brand.

2 Rachel May 18, 2012 at 11:27 am

You’re so right — I think I did three with this to get a true neon shade. I’d never heard of the brand either, but spotted at at Jolla Bella beauty in Houston when I was there buying hair products. I might give the American Apparel one a try, as I’m thinking it might be better quality, but the 99 cent one definitely does work if you’re patient!

3 Katrina May 18, 2012 at 11:40 am

I’ve been jonesing for an American Apparel hoodie, and I think your post just pushed me over the edge. My husband LIVES in those things–the other day I was cold and snagged it from him to warm up. Ummm…how did I survive for so long without one?? I’ve been to their website at least six times to order one in my size, but just can’t decide what color to get. Decisions, decisions!

4 Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie May 18, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I’m participating in Definitely RA’s Mission: Put Together – 2012 for the month of May, its a fashion challenge w/ different “requirements” for each week of the month. You can see my 1st post here – http://moicontrelavie.com/2012/05/15/mission-put-together-2012-week-i/.

I don’t wear foundation but I love tinted moisturizer w/ sunscreen so my latest beauty obsession is Dior’s Hydra Life Pro-Youth Skin Tint SPF 20. Lifesaver!

5 Emily Susan May 18, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I have been living in sundresses and cardigans with flats the last few weeks! Perfect for spring weather.

Also, I am lovin the list type posts, a nice compliment to your usual posts.

6 Rachel May 18, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Thanks — good to know! If people are into them, I’ll do them more often (maybe once a month?), because I like them too!

7 Sandra May 18, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Regarding the Vibrams falling apart, contact them. Another blogger I used to read had the same problem and they promptly sent him out a new pair. Turns out the ones he originally got were faulty. I’ve had mine for over two years and they still hold up great!

I love the neon nails and will totally be trying them as soon as I buy some polish.

8 Rain May 18, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I need to give Target some more though for sure. Everything I have from there I love, it’s just never my first choice, and perhaps it should be!
I think I might give those boy briefs a chance also. I hate the VS one’s as sometimes less sexy is more sexy if that makes sense :)

And as far as neon nails…I haven’t tried them yet…I am just not in to the whole 80’s neon trend right now.

9 Lorilea May 18, 2012 at 2:15 pm

If you don’t mind my asking, how much are shoe repairs? I have the perfect pair of Steve Madden leopard-print satin ballet flats that I have worn through the sole and need to have replaced. I’ve never done that before, and I don’t know what’s standard prices are, but I love love love these flats and can’t bear to part with them!

10 Rachel May 18, 2012 at 2:50 pm

I didn’t call around, so I could totally be getting ripped off, but the sandal repair was $37. That is a lot more than I expected (the sandal sole is SO thin) but in context, it’s worth it because 1. It’s still cheaper than new shoes and 2. I didn’t even find any shoes I liked enough to buy. But I honestly have no idea so I’d love to know if anyone else has experience with this!

It might also differ based on where you live!

11 [SMASH] May 18, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Surprised your work dudes liked your neon yellow nails so much. (I personally love them!) Those boy briefs sound legit. I’d like those for bed.

12 Rachel May 18, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Me too! But I think it’s because they are all geeks, and neon is just kind of a techie/geeky color if that makes sense.

13 Parita @ myinnershakti May 18, 2012 at 3:37 pm

A friend of mine recently recommended Bobbi Brown makeup, so I bought the foundation stick. ANNNNND…I love it! My skin is FAR from perfect, and this foundation, ever so subtly, makes my skin look nearly flawless. LOVE.

14 Meghan @ Run With Meg May 19, 2012 at 8:38 pm

I’ve heard good things about the Bobbi Brown foundation sticks too, I will have to check them out!

15 Liz @ IHeartVegetables May 18, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Why have I not thought of buying ACTUAL boyshorts? Because you’re right. The “girl” kind just rides up your butt. Not cool.

16 Anne Bender May 18, 2012 at 6:42 pm

If you’re loving the boy shorts my favorites are from Gap. It’s the only thing I buy there, but they are the most comfortable ones I’ve found. They don’t ride up at all. In fact, a co-worker was surprised when I told her I wore boy shorts cause they show no lines under my pants. (she asked!)

17 Aj May 18, 2012 at 6:43 pm

HAI boy shorts! welcome to the wonderful world of girls looking HOT in androgynous clothes. Sorry I’m not sorry, that visual was very pleasant!

My only problem with buying boys anything is that my hips – if you don’t mind me asking – what size did you get?

I’m not loving that much of anything I’m wearing now because I packed on vacation weight. But you know what? Totally worth it! Also, I got some new resort-y type clothes from Target because I wanted something summery but without a huge price tag. I got a bunch of cropped in the front and long in the back shirts that are to-die-for comfy and look cute with short-shorts. Cuz that vacation belly? it’s tan! I’m gonna show it off! I tucked one of them into a high-waisted pencil skirt for work and I got tons of compliments. That’s right, comfy shirt totally disguised as business appropriate, bam! (of course our boss has apparently issued our attire to be “anything that doesn’t look like a hooker”).

18 Rachel May 18, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Comfy shirts tucked into pencil skirts are AWESOME. Yes.

Also, my “damn, I look good in these androgynous clothes” was a total getting it moment when I put on the boy shorts so…yes. Duh. It makes perfect sense now but I totally had to try it on to have it click for me. I felt surprisingly sexy wearing something that wasn’t “supposed” to be for me. These were from the women’s dept so I assume they have more hip accommodation; I had no clue on the size I’d be so I just guessed and got a 6/M and they fit perfectly! I have really average hips and in pants I am closer to a 2/4 so…I guess what I’m saying is that your guess is as good as mine, haha.

19 Aj May 18, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Oh, you got them in the women’s department! I thought you got actual boy briefs! I love the women’s briefs and echo above that the Gap boy briefs are worth it, sometimes they go on super sale.

20 Nicole @ Giraffelegs May 18, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Awesome nails, buying something similar asap, or when I get money…

21 Carla May 19, 2012 at 11:48 am

I’ve been looking for some good boy shorts that I don’t feel like my butt is hanging out the bottom. Haven’t tried the neon nails because it seems so crazy. Seriously, if I think neon nails are crazy, how old have I let myself get? I’m gonna do it.
I had a pair of Doc Marten sandals that I LOVED. I had them repaired two or three times. Spending the $15, or whatever it cost, was cheaper than buying new ones and I couldn’t find any that I liked near as well. I know how you are with the shoes though because I had a pair that completely fell apart on me at work on Thursday and ended up in the garbage. Thank goodness I had a spare pair with.
Target. You go in for one thing and you walk out spending $100. Can’t. Stay. Away.

22 Rachel May 19, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Last year, I got five pairs of heels repaired. A couple heels were actually cheap heels too, but I liked them so much, I didn’t want to part with them. I’ve since become a big fan of repairing because even when it’s not a better deal financially, it’s a lot more environmentally friendly.

23 Rachel May 19, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Oh, and p.s. Consumer Report has ranked Target as having the best bras for a few years in a row (over Victoria Secret). My mom made the switch and seriously raves about its bras. I haven’t had the same luck there; I think cause I’m smaller-breasted, but apparently, Target’s bras are life-changing for some, haha.

24 Clarice May 20, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I’m a DD, and I love Target bras. I was shocked, but they are great.

25 emily hassman May 21, 2012 at 10:07 am

As a DD, I would *never* have considered Target for bras… but now I think I’ll have to try! My newer VS bras are getting saggy. I hate spending that much money for something that loses elasticity after a couple months!

26 Deva @ Deva by Definition May 19, 2012 at 7:56 pm

I’ve not yet gotten on the neon nails train (I don’t paint my nails very often), but I did just paint mine gray today and love how they look. I also have a pail, glittery pink I can’t wait to try.

27 Kavi @ Lab to Fab! May 21, 2012 at 12:04 am

LOVING the neon yellow nails! Manicures are $4 (!) here in Vietnam so I might have to try that next :)

28 Elise Stephens May 21, 2012 at 8:09 am

I love love love Self Expressions bras. They’re a division of Maidenform (usually sold in department stores). I’ve never felt/seen a difference between buying the $35-40 version at Macy’s versus the $10-15 bra at Target. Stick with em!

29 emily hassman May 21, 2012 at 10:09 am

Ikea cup? I have a pink one and a white one, and they are my favorites. And your manicured fingers + engagement ring combo looks lovely. Do you still look down at your hand and think, “oh shit, I’m a grown-up”?

30 Rachel May 21, 2012 at 3:35 pm

YES, I love the pink version of these cups…so pretty!

And thank you! I don’t think “Oh shit I’m a grown-up” as much as I think “Oh shit, this ACTUALLY happened for me?!” I guess a part of me thought I’d be single forever! So yeah, it’s more like, “Someone is officially this into me?! No way!”

31 Hildy May 21, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Is that an engagement ring??

32 Rachel May 21, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Yep!

33 Marie May 23, 2012 at 8:52 am

I’m a longtime reader of your blog and don’t really comment…but OMG. I was in Target yesterday and needed new undies and a bra, so I bought a Self Expressions bra (leopard print!) and some Hanes Boy Briefs (black). Both are super comfortable! Last night when I was hanging out in my underwear getting ready for bed I had to stop in the mirror and admire how effing hot I looked! Whoa! The boy briefs are totally flattering, and this bra offers a lot more support than I expected from something I could get at Target!!! Awesome recommendations!!!

34 Rachel May 23, 2012 at 10:37 am

Ahhh I’m so glad you liked everything! And I agree — the boy briefs shock me every time I get a look in the mirror! I’m like, Really?! No way! These cannot be this sexy and this comfy! I’m hooked!

35 [SMASH] July 21, 2012 at 11:41 am

In case you check your analytics soon, I’m the one who just searched “underwear” on your blog. Couldn’t remember the boy shorts you’d mentioned. Thinking they might be comfy for soccer!