{the life} Going to Work or Going on Vacation?

by Rachel on June 22, 2012

Between my work bag, lunch bag, purse, and yoga bag, I’m pretty sure my neighbors think I am going to the airport every single morning.

Every morning as I deal with my struggage, I’m actually glad I don’t take public transportation to work.

How do you get all your ish to the office?

1 Michele June 22, 2012 at 10:13 am

I feel like this all the time! I am in between moving out of my parents house and in with my boyfriend, so I am always lugging bags with clothes for when I go home for a night or two, bags with laundry to take home because the washer/dryer do not work well at the apartment, a bag with French books/notebooks homework, lunch bag, computer bag, purse…it seems like it never ends. When I leave my parents house or the apartment I am pretty sure the neighbors must think I am moving out each time, because the bags of stuff seem to never end. I am getting pretty good at carrying all of it at once though. I hate making multiple trips from inside to the car. For some reason, this drives me crazy!!!

2 Katrina June 22, 2012 at 10:13 am

Girl, I feel your pain. I’m working from home now, but I used to commute to an office and like you, had to lug my purse, laptop bag, gym bag and lunch bag everyday. People would actually giggle and make fun of me when they saw me walking into the building with all of my crap.

Some of my coworkers resorted to packing their belongings in rolling suitcases, but I simply couldn’t bring myself to embrace such a habit.

I ended up just seeing the transportation of my “struggage” each day as an opportunity for a brief arm workout.

3 Suzanne June 22, 2012 at 10:52 am

I feel you. At least you drive to work. I used to subway to work every day, and would haul my purse, gym bag, and lunch with me (and when I started grad school, a laptop and textbook, too). That was hell. What’s helped me is to leave as much as possible at the office. I have all my work appropriate heels here, along with medicines/first aid type things, snacks, tampons, extra make-up, etc. It keeps me from having to load up my purse with personal items every day. I also take a pretty big purse to work, so I can fit my lunch and any work files in there. As for the gym bag, I just work out in the morning now and come home to shower before work so I don’t have to deal with the madness. I do keep an extra set of gym clothes and sneakers here, though, in case I want to get a lunchtime workout. That’s rare, though.

4 Tara June 22, 2012 at 10:53 am

I drive on the days that I’m going rock climbing, but I could really walk since I just have everything in a Lululemon bag. Every other day though, I just have my purse and leave all my work stuff at work.

5 Amanda June 22, 2012 at 10:56 am

You are me! I can’t figure out a solution either. I’m a one trip girl (one i get home at night, I’m not leaving again) so everything i need for the day MUST be packed. paying monthly for a locker at the gym helps a little bc I can keep certain items there (spin shoes, swimsuit, bath stuff) but I still carry at least a purse, tote bag and gym bag 3-4 days a week. I consider it exercise!

6 Kavi June 22, 2012 at 11:08 am

This used to be me, when my daily commute involved the subway, train, and shuttle bus! My purses got larger and larger over the years to accommodate all my stuff. But I was prepared for any situation: Advil, tissues, magazines, snacks… heaven forbid I starve to death on NJTransit ;)

7 Jessica June 22, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Yes! I have my lunch bag, my purse, and a tote with library books, umbrella (you never know!) and work shoes. I sometimes arrive back home in the afternoon with all of that, plus a grocery bag or two. I feel silly, but always like to be prepared.

8 stef June 22, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I got tired of feeling like a pack mule, so I found a great tote bag that I take to work everyday. I throw my lunch inside and my purse, too, if I happen to be using one that’s small enough. If not, I’ll toss in my wallet and small zippered bag that holds essentials and just skip the purse. When I worked in an office, I left all my work heels in a bottom desk drawer so I didn’t have to carry them in daily.

9 Rachel @ Healthy Chicks June 22, 2012 at 12:47 pm

HAHA! This is SO me every day, except I DO take public transportation. I’m sure I look nuts, and it’s extra entertaining when I decide to stop at the grocery store after a long day out in the city doing work. Way too many bags for one little girl, but it’s necessary.

10 Brandi June 22, 2012 at 1:06 pm

I can relate. I used to have a million bags until I bought the Lo & Sons OG bag. Seriously, such a lifesaver. It’s pricey but worth it because it has a ton of pockets and you can usually catch a deal. I can fit my work stuff, lunch, workout clothes and shoes (in a separate zippered compartment), plus a million more things in there. The downside is that it’s size huge, especially on my 5’3” frame but I’d rather carry one large functional bags than a bunch of small ones.

I’ve also made an effort to not carry as much stuff. Instead of a separate purse, I put my things in my work bag and put a small clutch or wristlet in there for the times when I need to run a quick errand, go to lunch, etc and dont need my entire purse.

11 Kavi June 22, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I just googled that bag… and I want it! What a great find. Love how it can attach to a suitcase!

12 Amanda S June 22, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Wow. Exactly what I’ve been looking for.

13 Rachel June 22, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Wow, this IS great and it actually doesn’t look THAT huge! Thanks for sharing!!

14 Mel June 26, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I agree!! This is awesomeeee!

15 Nicki June 22, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Like everyone else, I can also relate completely. Purse, gym bag and lunch bag. Luckily my commute is only 20 minutes door-to-door…but that includes subway AND walking while carrying everything! As a petite 4’10” 26-year-old, I tend to look rather ridiculous lugging all those items around. (Though gym bag only comes with me 2-3x a week. Two bags is MUCH more manageable than three!) Such is life!

16 Rain June 22, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I got this one really big Lulu gym bag that shove almost everything in. I am down to two bags instead of 3 or 4!

17 Jen June 22, 2012 at 4:34 pm

It’s not very fashion-foward, but I just carry a backpack as my work bag. My backpack holds my laptop, lunch bag, wallet, keys, umbrella, etc. Then, if I’m working out, I carry a gym bag. I have to walk 10-15 minutes to get from my parking lot to my office, and distributing the weight makes the walk so much less painful.

18 Melissa June 25, 2012 at 1:09 am

I’m glad I’m not the only one. I also walk 10-15 from my car, which I actually love… but it’s so much better on the shoulders/back to have it balanced. I’ll often put a small purse in there or at least leave one in my car for work lunches/happy hours.

19 Emily June 22, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Ugh. I have THE ugliest bag that my mom bought from thirty one. I use it to haul my lunch bag, coffee thermos, water bottle, makeup bag, etc… it’s really un-cute, but it’s the perfect size and shape. I just hope no one sees me carrying it every morning and afternoon.

I feel like a mess leaving the house every morning, juggling my purse, keys, phone, coffee cup, the ugly bag, a bag of yoga clothes, and my yoga mat (if I brought it in the house). I look like I’m packed for the moon, not the office.

20 H June 23, 2012 at 11:57 am

Oh Rachel, how I hear you on this. I am a little urbanite who walks about a mile and a half to the gym then to work. Please allow me to break it down for you. You really do have to take it back old school with a backpack. I fit work stuff, gym stuff, and lunch in there. I assure you necessity makes me a frugal packer. I also carry a little cross body purse. I may resemble a pack mule, but my hands are free! I hope that helps.

x

21 jenna k June 23, 2012 at 7:34 pm

same! i have a workout bag, lunch box/bag, and purse. but that’s the easy part. the hard part is balancing all that with my two tumblers- one for water and one for coffee. it’s a miracle i don’t spill coffee all over myself every single morning. i’m glad i still live in a college condo complex where no one else is up at 8am to see me shuffling to my car!

22 Rachel June 24, 2012 at 9:47 am

Ah, yes, the terrible tumblers!!! As a very clumsy person, I also fear for all my electronics the second I add my water bottle to the mix in the mornings. A lot of times I just take it empty and fill it up there. I don’t take coffee with me to work for that reason. On the days I do bring it along (sometimes I make a batch of cold-pressed coffee to keep in the office fridge for myself), I move like I’m walking on a tightrope.

23 Stephanie @ LoveLaughterLight June 24, 2012 at 9:35 am

I walk to work, so if I’m taking anything, that shit is strapped to my back. I rarely take anything more than fits in my shoulder bag or lunch bag.

24 deva at deva by definition June 25, 2012 at 10:12 am

I carry my purse and lunch bag with me to work. My lunch bag is big enough to hold lunch plus a hard cover book and small journal book (which has been indispensable since getting engaged because i can write down to-dos as I think of them). I try to take the bare minimum to and from work, because when I am going somewhere after, I typically stop at home on my way.

25 Jasmine June 26, 2012 at 7:12 pm

I will have you know that I now think of you EVERY morning as I “move out” of my house and “move in” to my office. It really is absolutely ridiculous. And, not in that awesome Rachel Wilkerson ridiculous kind of way, either.

26 Andi June 27, 2012 at 7:49 am

I work in a manufacturing plant and every morning I walk in with my purse, my lunchbox and a yoga mat (I don’t like leaving it in the hot car). I sometimes even bring a change of clothes into work. It does seem like I’m always a little overpacked for work. Lots of people have asked me what the heck is in the yoga mat bag, but I think after a year everyone’s used to my craziness of bringing so much stuff.