{the life} What I’ve Been…

by Rachel on July 8, 2012

…Wearing

Nail art! I suppose it was only a matter of time after I tried neon nails and sort of succeeded. After seeing so much great nail art floating around the Internet, I decided to try it for myself for the 4th of July. I mean, is there a better way to show that you love America than hitting Target for beauty supplies in red, white, and blue? If there is, I’m not aware of it. I followed this tutorial and did a decent job…I’m hoping to have mastered this by Labor Day.

Vibram Five Fingers. A few months ago, I started looking for a lightweight, easy shoe to wear to and from yoga and  when running errands or walking the dogs. Sneakers were too heavy and flip-flops were…not an option. (Did you know I hate flip-flops? I do. I despise them. I could go into it, but this article Your Crappy Sandals Are Ruining Your Feet really concisely sums up all the reasons why I hate them, so I’ll direct you there. I mean, they have their time and place — after pedicures, on the beach — but, on the whole, I just think they are a terrible excuse for a shoe.) After watching my coworker wear Vibrams and rave about them to everyone who asked (and everyone asks), I decided to try them. While I liked the first pair I bought, the sole started coming off at the toe after about a month. I had a feeling I had just bought them too small, so I exchanged them for the next size up and I haven’t had any trouble with them since. And I really, really love them. I don’t like being barefoot all that much, but I love these shoes. They take a little getting used to, but after a few days, I was wearing them to work, around town, and around the house. I love that I can wear them in the rain or get them muddy; I’ve never tried to run in them because that would involve me going for a run, but I wear them on long walks with the dogs and they feel great.

…Eating

Sausage Cheddar Biscuits via Shutterbean

Loaded Turkey Santa Fe Baked Potatoes via Skinny Taste

Turkey and Pesto Panini via Real Simple

Thai Steak and Noodle Salad via Camille Styles

Minted Orzo Salad via Can You Stay for Dinner

Pineapple-marinated Steak via Real Simple

YUM!

…Writing

During the month of June, I kept up with U by Kotex and the yoga studio blog I’m writing for, doubled up my Color Me Rouge articles, and took on a fun freelance job: writing descriptions for men’s accessories for a new clothing website. Here is some of the content I had published last month.

Did “Mad Men” Take Period Drama Too Far?

Betting It All on Beauty

The “Natural” Look Men Love Ain’t So Natural

My Celebrity Beauty Icons

Lazy Girl’s Guide to Cleaning Her Makeup Case

Discover Your Beauty Canvas

…Reading

I keep up with most of the blogs I mentioned in May, and I’ve also been loving Blisstree, Capitol Hill Style, and YogaDork. But since Eric and I started house hunting and preparing to move, I’ve mainly been hitting websites that focus on the home.

Unfuck Your Habitat

Apartment Therapy

Offbeat Home

BrightNest Blog

Decorno

Craigslist (Where else am I going to find all the furniture these other blogs are making me want at prices Eric and I can actually afford?! We browse online and go to different stores regularly to get an idea of what we want, and then I check Craigslist daily to see if they have a slightly used version of what we’re looking for. So far we’ve purchased a dining room table, a buffet/bar, and a desk, and I’m hoping that I found our dining room chairs this weekend too. It’s been so fun and so satisfying to furnish the new house this way!)

What have you loving lately?

{ 18 comments }

1 Chanelle July 8, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Nice nails! I’ve been obsessed with mail art for the past few months now!

2 Mel July 8, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Shit, all these side gigs are impressive! Love seeing your tweets/ posts with the articles! Here’s hopping I hop on that wagon one day.

You should consider looking into contributing for The Conversation. (theconversation.tv) I love the show and I think their blog and articles cater to certain messages that parallel yours/ you have stories worth sharing.

3 Rachel July 8, 2012 at 10:38 pm

You always have the best new reading material to share! I am looking into it now — thanks!

4 Victoria July 8, 2012 at 10:56 pm

I was reading the webcomic XKCD and this recent one seemed appropriate for your thoughts on houses. http://xkcd.com/1077/

5 Rachel's Mom July 8, 2012 at 11:20 pm

I didn’t realize you did your nails yourself! Great job!!!

Also, you know how I feel about flip-flops…hate, hate, hate them….’nuff said!

Loved the Mad Men blog article, and I don’t even watch that show.

I might have to try some of those recipes…maybe the pineapple steak. :)

Keep up the good work. :)

6 Rachel July 9, 2012 at 7:13 am

Aw, shucks…I’m actually making this face right now. :-D

7 Aj July 9, 2012 at 1:02 am

In case my cross-platform commenting wasn’t a dead giveaway I LOVE the desk, I truly was lusting after some similar desks but they just wouldn’t fit our space. Thanks to your inspiration, I do have an idea for how to organize and I’ve identified some wall decor that is appropriate for work out room/guest room/home office. And for that I’ve got to say I really like Fab.com for finding art that’s reasonably priced, I like and does seem like it was sold on the quad my freshman year.

This weekend was all about going old school, tonight’s dinner came from legit hard copy cookbooks! Several were consulted, lists were written, markets were visited, and things with marinated, cooked and baked. It was awesome to spend a day pulling together a multi part meal. We even had an emergency pie crust consult by phone with my bestie’s grandma!

8 Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie July 9, 2012 at 7:58 am

Another light weight shoe to try are the Brooks Green Silence – they’re incredibly comfortable, eco-friendly, and even ultramarathoner Scott Jurek wears them!

Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie´s last post ..Links You’ll LoveMy Profile

9 Rain July 9, 2012 at 9:19 am

I absolutely LOVE craigslist! I think buying used is the way to go!

I really haven’t tried the vibrams….First I hate the way they look…and second I have a friend who ran in them for awhile and got a stress fracture. BUT, for just as many people who have said they hate them, I hear people say they love them and that they are comfortable.

I personally love my slippers (flip flops)
Rain´s last post ..Tree PoseMy Profile

10 Jessica July 9, 2012 at 9:32 am

I really need to try vibrams. I’ve been contemplating them for a while now and I think it’s time to take my barefoot relationship to the next level. Plus if I forget socks for the gym it won’t matter.
I also just started reading Cap Hill Style (Love) and another blog has recently become my style blog crush: MlovesM.blogspot.com
So adorable.
Jessica´s last post ..OutletMy Profile

11 Frances July 9, 2012 at 11:00 am

Those toe shoes, like toe socks make me shudder!

12 Rachel July 9, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Ha…flip-flops and unmanicured feet make me shudder so I guess we’re even!

13 TeriLyn [a foodie stays fit] July 9, 2012 at 6:20 pm

totally agree with you about flip flops. eew. but yay for Vibrams!

I’m loving Downton Abbey lately. :)
TeriLyn [a foodie stays fit]´s last post ..The Weekender + I Won an Award (almost ;)My Profile

14 Margaret July 9, 2012 at 9:18 pm

About the vikrams – 1) where do you work and 2) specifically what color/design did you get? I work in a pretty laid back place (I work for the internet and everyone wears jeans) but I still feel like those shoes would get odd looks.

About the Home Design Blogs – I know you didn’t solicit recommendations, but since I imagine we’re besties, here are a few you may enjoy. (I recently moved into a new apartment and am obsessed with home decor blogs.) Designsponge.com, younghouselove.com, manhattan-nest.com (a little sarcastic but some really great projects and how-tos), vintagerevivals.com, abeautifulmess.typepad.com, and thetaoofdana.com. Enjoy!

15 Rachel July 9, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I work for the Internet too! A startup with 7 employees, and I am the only woman. My coworker wore them first so I didn’t have to worry about the looks. He always just swore they were super comfortable/good for your body if people asked and everyone just kind of accepted it and moved on.

The style I have is the W118 Sprint in black. I usually wear them to with black yoga pants and I feel like it’s a pretty seamless/understated combo.

And I always want reading recommendations, so thanks for those!!

16 Margaret July 10, 2012 at 10:30 am

Ah, that does make it much better with the black on black-ness. Also those are much cuter and appropriate for work than the running/athletic ones I was looking at.

Yay for the internet! I work in a much larger, more corporate internet company in the NY office.that I would definitely get strange looks for.

17 jenna k July 10, 2012 at 8:13 am

this post just made my life so happy.
i’m not a fan of vibrams. my knees take a lot of support when running, so i doubt they’d work for me. but i’d never thought about getting them for walking and errands.
those recipes led me to some amazing-looking ways to clean out my freezer.
i cannot even explain how happy i am to find unfuck your habitat. i’ve been drowning in housework lately. i’m about to move, but my apartment is so bad that i couldn’t even begin to start packing. life. saver.
jenna k´s last post ..Recent nomsMy Profile

18 Rachel July 10, 2012 at 9:58 am

Unfuck Your Habitat is THE BEST! There was this awesome post the other day that was like “Laundry has three steps. Wash. Dry. FOLD THE GODDAMN LAUNDRY AND PUT IT AWAY.” I’m going to have a sign made that says that for our new laundry room.

And I never thought of Vibrams of being for anything but running either, but now that’s the last way I’d wear them! Definitely worth re-considering. :)