{the life} What’s Getting Me Through my Yoga Challenge (and What My Yoga Challenge is Getting Me Through)

by Rachel on July 11, 2012

Just one week left to go until Eric and I are homeowners! While today is our actual closing date, we gave the seller a lease-back option so I planned that my challenge would go until July 18th, the day the place really becomes ours. Here’s an update on the yoga!

Things Getting Me Through My 31-day Yoga Challenge

• My Manduka PROlite mat. I have been using this mat since my Lululemon mat fell apart on me a while back and I really love it. Like, every time I use it I love it a little more, probably because it gets a little stickier with each use. (Seriously, I love the texture of it and it just keeps improving!) I am happy about this mat every time I use it, which has been a lot as of late.
  • Bathroom yoga. Because it has a hard floor and because it inspires me to keep my bathroom looking nice. And because it’s quickly becoming my yoga room, and having a yoga room is fancy, right?
  • Just one or two poses a night. I knew going into this challenge that there would be some days when I’d only do a pose or two (and it’s definitely something I’d been doing on occasion anyway) but I wasn’t sure how it would feel to do it so regularly. Well…it feels fantastic! I’m finding that when I just do a couple poses, I give them a lot of attention and just get a lot out of them. Also, I can go deeper and really challenge myself because my body isn’t as tired as when I do them in the middle of a long class. It sort of feels like I’m in training for my longer classes when I just focus on a couple poses. I’ve also been trying to get some variety in there, so I’ve been doing poses that aren’t as common in yoga classes. There’s been a lot of, “Well, hello, camel pose! I missed you!”
  • YogaDownload.com. Um, I love this site! While really like YogaVibes, my weak home Internet means streaming classes aren’t a very good option for me. But YogaDownload gives you the option to download podcasts and videos that you can actually keep. (Though you can also stream if you want to.) There are a lot of class options and price points; you can pay as you go, but I did a one-month subscription for $9.99 which got me four downloads that I’ll actually own. I started with Dave Farmer’s Baptiste Power Vinyasa class  (I was afraid to go without the visual assistance at first) and both the 45-minute and 60-minute classes were great. Seriously, love. Then on Sunday, I did the 45-minute Anusara-Inspired Flow with Roger Martin-Pressman which I also loved. It was audio only but it came with a pose guide which I checked a couple times to confirm I was understanding his cues properly. My studio doesn’t have Anusara classes, but I do like them (they focus on the heart and throat so there are a lot of chest openers and backbends) so this worked out really well.
  • 45-minute classes. While I love the studio where I practice, the 75-minute classes are a big commitment, especially when you factor in travel time. Lunchtime classes usually run an hour, which is great, but 45 minutes? FEELS LIKE A BREEZE!

Things My 31-Day Yoga Challenge is Getting Me Through

• Tight, emotional hips.
  • Eric’s anxiety over the 11th hour-delivery of the appraisal report earlier this week. These days? His anxiety is my anxiety and vice versa. Except when I take a vinyasa and then it’s not anymore.
  • Nightmares about choosing paint colors. Yes, actual nightmares. No, it’s not really about the paint.
  • The state of my apartment. Eric and I started packing over the weekend weekend and even though things are in complete disarray right now, I actually feel OK. Not just that…I actually feel good about everything. I’m really enjoying packing and I’m super proud of how goddamn organized I am and how we’ve been doing it methodically, adults…you know, labeling boxes extensively, not packing dirty laundry, etc.
  • Work shizz.
  • Extra work, and the early mornings and late nights that come along with it.
  • The fact that all this generally makes fast food start looking really good. Doing something good for my body every day means it’s really hard to fill it with crap. Also, filling it with crap makes it really hard to practice yoga and get through my ten million other things each day. I haven’t been perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I’ve packed myself a lot more lunches than I think I would have otherwise.
  • THE FACT THAT WE WERE SUPPOSED TO CLOSE TODAY AND DID NOT CLOSE AND I CAN’T REALLY EXPLAIN WHY EXCEPT FUCK YOU, WELLS FARGO.*
*I have clearly not practiced yoga yet today.

1 Tara July 11, 2012 at 5:34 pm

UGH. I feel your pain and am sending virtual hugs your way. Not closing on time SUCKS MAJOR ASS. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you guys that you close ASAP :)

2 Amy July 11, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Oooh, you make me want to order a Manduka mat! I hope your house stuff gets less stressful, ugh :(

3 Mel July 11, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Boo to stress, packing and NOT closing!! I’m sure with so much commotion, it must be nice to have a private, quiet place even if it’s just the (super chic) bathroom yoga studio. Youz got this!

4 Aj July 11, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Go yoga go!

I’ve got my fingers crossed and good closing energy headed your way!

5 Amanda @ Click. The Good News July 11, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Lol- love this summary! We’re going through something similar, both buying a house and a REFI at the same time- paperwork OVERLOAD! I love how much yoga has impacted your life & it’s so hard to explain to people how powerful yoga can be and extend to so many areas of your life. Glad your challenge is going well & providing so many benefits!

6 Erin July 11, 2012 at 10:51 pm

I feel you on the whole closing thing. Except mine went more like fuck you suntrust! I still harbor bitter feelings towards them 4 years later every time i pay the mortgage.

7 Rachel's Mom July 11, 2012 at 11:20 pm

What is a lease-back option?

8 Rachel July 12, 2012 at 10:02 am

It means that even though we’ll own the place, we are letting her live there (like a renter) for a week while she waits to move into her new place.

9 Rain July 12, 2012 at 9:50 am

Closing on a house is SOOOO stressful…They are always late and a day behind…meanwhile I know you are stressing…but breath :)
How exicting that it’s really happening!

10 Nikki July 12, 2012 at 8:18 pm

ughhhh i’m trying to pull the trigger on a manduka mat! I’ve been going back and forth with consumer guilt regarding the commercialization of yoga, which is making me a little trigger shy.

11 Rachel July 13, 2012 at 9:54 am

I have been feeling that guilt lately too, which is actually why I didn’t include more gear in this post…I didn’t want to be part of the problem.

For me, the mat is the #1 (and kind of only) thing you really need, and that’s why I was comfortable with this purchase. The cheap mat I bought from Target a frw years ago wasn’t comfortable (it made yoga kinda painful!), wasn’t doing anything good for the environment and, honestly, is also part of the commercialization of yoga (assuming Manduka mats are fairly priced based on their quality). So I guess my thought was, If I need a mat (and most of us who practice regularly do), I want to get one awesome one from a company I feel good supporting.

I don’t mean to pressure you at all…just wanted to share my thought process because it’s definitely something that has been on my mind too!

12 Nikki July 16, 2012 at 6:20 am

I totally agree about the mat being the only thing you actually need. It just seems like the yoga culture is spiraling – or maybe it already did, and I’m only now at a point iny
Practice where I see it.

We normally go to a pretty nice yoga studio (where I help check in classes in exchange for free yoga, because at $15 a class my graduate student stipend isn’t going to cover that). It’s a very Lululemon-centric studio. The local LuLulemon staff get free yoga, and you definitely get sucked into that culture of NEEDING wunder unders.

Then, we move ten miles, and started supplementing with another studio that’s donation based. At which point I remembered, oh yeah, *this* is what yoga is about. A community coming together and enjoying a moving meditation , together. Nothing fancy, but just as meaningful :)

13 Hannah July 14, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I definitely need to get into the whole practicing yoga at home thing … I take exclusively Bikram classes at the moment and I use not being able to attend a 90 minute class as an excuse to do nothing at all! Not ok. Thanks for the inspiration :)

14 Dean July 15, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Thanks for the great idea! I have been doing Yoga at my Gym (mostly) or at home since the 15th of June. You are right about Yoga helping getting you through the day. I had a date last night and the girl was an hour late. Luckily Yoga kept my patience from becoming a Jamaican/Antiguan Nuclear Bomb. I just waited and watched all the pretty ladies in the mall….That’s Mountain all day right there!