{the life} Working It…In Makeup

by Rachel on July 18, 2012

I have a new article on Color Me Rouge today: I work out in makeup. You may judge me now.

Ah, That Girl Who Wears Makeup to the Gym. Is there any easier target when one is looking for someone to mock? “Why would anyone wear makeup to the gym?” people sneer. “You’re not there to impress anyone and you’re just going to sweat it off anyway. At least if you care about your workout.”

You can read all of my thoughts on being That Girl over at Color Me Rouge and I’d love to hear your thoughts on this topic below!

1 Tara July 18, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I mostly go to the (rock climbing) gym after work, so yes, I’m going to be wearing make-up. When I go on the weekend, I often don’t wear make-up because it’s the only time I’ve left the house that day and I don’t wear make-up unless I leave the house.

I remember playing in a curling tournament last year (on a weekend) and one of my teammates was confused why this girl was wearing make-up and so was I. It was a Saturday! Why did she feel she needed to wear make-up?

But I think we need to take a step back and not judge other women for whether or not they are wearing make-up to the gym. Like you said, there are so many reasons and we don’t know the context of the other women.

2 Dori July 18, 2012 at 1:51 pm

My judgement is more along the lines of “Makeup running down your face has to feel so uncomfortable, so why would you want to do that!” But I also know I feel irritation discomfort at things that most other people don’t find annoying (makeup-streaked sweat, tights/stockings, pants, tight fitting shirts, ponytails/buns, socks, jewelry). So I think “judging” isn’t the best word, more like confusion and curiosity with a hint of judgement.

3 Mel July 18, 2012 at 1:58 pm

If I’m coming from work or think I’m looking a little tired before meeting with my trainer, I’ll probably be wearing eye concealer and mascara. I’m definitely with you that sometimes looking better makes you feel a little more confident when tackling certain moves in front of the mirror.

When I see a girl putting on or wearing a face full of cover-up, eyeshadow, liner, etc I definitely get a reaction. Though, I’m not sure if it’s judgement or jealousy that someone can look so good while sweating.

4 Anna July 18, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Oh man, I totally get this. I actually like to wear a little makeup on race days (a little Bare Minerals stuff). It just makes me feel more ready and pumped up. Also, it stays on pretty well, so any pictures they take of me are improved a bit. Haha!

5 Kristi July 18, 2012 at 3:18 pm

I don’t specifically put makeup on to work out, but I don’t take off what I’m wearing before hitting the gym. I may even touch up a little! Someone already said this — but looking good make you feel good, and if I want to have my eyeliner in place while I’m on the elliptical, that’s ok!

6 Liza July 18, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I wear makeup to the gym but it’s only because when Alexander Skarsgard is in town her works out there and the day I finally see him there I want to look somewhat presentable. Yes I’m crazy.

7 [SMASH] July 19, 2012 at 10:35 am

Good piece! Yeah I don’t put it on specifically to go to the gym, most of the time I already had it on to keep halfway human. BUT I try not to judge that anyway since some of my favorite female soccer players were makeup during games. Now exercising with your hair down when it’s long enough to put up… THAT is something I’ll judge. :P

8 Tenecia July 19, 2012 at 11:31 am

I often work out during my lunch hour so I’m wearing makeup when I get there. I’m not going to wipe off the MAC eye it took me 20 minutes to create before walking into the gym when I can just “touch it up” post-workout ;) Call me crazy but that’s how I do!

T.

9 Rain July 20, 2012 at 9:46 am

I don’t personally wear makeup when I go running or workout if I am going in the early morning or before work. But there have been days where I have done a noon workout where I will have makeup on.

I think a bigger issue to me is people who wear perfume…that really gets to me. I understand makeup but never will understand perfume!!

10 Emma @ BITE | Boredom Is The Enemy July 21, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I rotate between my natural red hair color and dark brown, so when I have the dark hair, I absolutely pencil my eyebrows (which are super albino) and put on a coat of mascara before going to the gym. No shame. I look like an alien if I don’t. I’ll also do the concealer thing if I’ve got something really heinous going on. For me, gym makeup isn’t about looking glam—in fact, I WANT to look like I’m wearing no makeup. Didn’t you do a post on that recently? Same deal. Just about meeting that minimum baseline of looking, you know, human.

11 Kat July 25, 2012 at 8:43 am

If there are mirors, I’m wearing makeup. Not a lot, mind you – but some concealor and mascara will go a long way in making me feel good about myself. :)

12 Tricia July 26, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I don’t go to a gym, but I do go to Zumba twice a week and I often think about this as I am getting ready to go. Sometimes I can’t help but put a little something on just because I don’t want to look completely horrible when I get there. On the other hand, I am going to start sweating and wipe it all off in the first 10 minutes! I don’t ever leave the house without mascara on, though, so that is a bare minimum for me.

13 Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy July 28, 2012 at 11:49 am

You are hilarious! I love it. Although I feel badly that I take such pleasure from reading about your pain.