{the life} The simple lunch

by Rachel on August 25, 2012

The recipe: pesto + hard-boiled eggs + a baguette (via Real Simple).

Five reasons it’s my current favorite:

1. It involves almost no cooking, so it’s really great for 95-degree days. And it’s fast as hell (especially if you make a big batch of hard-boiled eggs ahead of time), so it’s also good for busy days.

2. It goes well with so many sides that I love: asparagus cooked in butter, cherries, peaches, cheese, bacon, ham, wine, beer…it’s really the start of a delicious feast.

3. Even when you buy all the ingredients from Whole Foods, it’s still a damn cheap meal.

4. It works for every meal. The first time I made it, it was for dinner, and Eric and I ate leftovers the next morning for breakfast. Today, it’s lunch at my desk.

1 April August 25, 2012 at 2:45 pm

“5. I am always looking for an excuse to buy a baguette because when it sticks out of the top of the paper bag (along with some leafy greens, obviously), I can easily pretend I am a character in a movie. ”

Haha…I do this all the time! I am also tempted to rip the top of the baguette open with my mouth but feel that might put off some of the gentlemen callers nearby.

2 Deva @ Deva by Definition August 26, 2012 at 3:19 pm

#5 is my favorite reason to buy baguette. your lunch looks like something out of a movie, too!

3 Emily @ Relishments August 26, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I am jealous of your breakfast/lunch/dinner. This looks so fabulous. Thank you for the important reminder that delicious doesn’t have to be complicated and that blog posts about food don’t have to be complicated either. Sometimes I make things so much harder than they need to be.

4 Kat August 27, 2012 at 8:37 am

I LOVE that you think that when you buy a baguette too! I feel very foncy with my bread showing off for me. Better than a great purse, even!

5 Hannah August 27, 2012 at 9:29 am

I totally agree about the “girl in a movie” feeling! Plus, pesto is probably my most favorite sauce/condiment/whatever on the whole planet. Eating something SO delicious that has green flecks in it makes me feel pretty healthy (Ha!)

This is going straight to Pinterest.

6 Rain August 27, 2012 at 9:41 am

mmm….I love baguettes!!! That looks great I will have to try it!

7 Kavi August 27, 2012 at 3:23 pm

A nice twist on an egg salad sandwich. Perfect because I have a garden overflowing with basil right now!

8 Dori September 4, 2012 at 10:32 am

I’ve been craving hard boiled eggs lately, so it’s funny timing that you posted this. Looks really delicious, and now I want it.