Do I really need to spend that much on makeup? {Freelance Article}

by Rachel on September 11, 2012

“I remember when, after my first trip to the Clinique counter for a free makeover and my first ‘real’ makeup purchases, a girlfriend in my eighth-grade class asked me how much all my new makeup had cost. I can’t remember the exact total (I’d guess it was around $50), but I remember that when I told her, she said, ‘Jeez, you don’t look THAT good.’

Ah. So clearly we all have different ideas on what makeup should cost.”

Read the rest of my post Do I really need to spend THAT much on makeup? on Color Me Rouge.

1 Rain September 11, 2012 at 11:18 am

I don’t spend much on cosmetics. In my experience there isn’t too much difference between the expensive stuff and the cheaper stuff. Prime example….everyone raves about Morrocan Oil…and the real thing is expensive! I got some as a gift and I do use it, it has a good smell….but before I got it as a gift I used a cheaper version with pretty much the same ingredients…and it worked exactly the same, and the smell was very similar!

2 Morgan September 11, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Seriously, this is not content. If you want to link to freelance articles, that is what twitter is for. If you want a blog, create content. And with that, I am officially unsubscribed.

3 Rachel September 11, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Way harsh, Tai.

Look, I’m still publishing new content here regularly but I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again: not everyone is on Twitter or Facebook so I’m going to link to my freelance articles here. I’m sorry that you have to unsubscribe from everything I write here in order to avoid links to my other content once or twice a week, but I’m not sure there’s a solution that would make everyone happy.

4 Rachel September 11, 2012 at 9:40 pm

I like your freelance articles! I wouldnt read them otherwise, as I don’t follow on Twitter/Facebook closely. Keep ’em comin’!

Oh makeup…the only thing I really spend more money on is foundation. My skin is dry and fussy and does not get along with cheaper foundations. Therefore, I buy a bottle of foundation for about 35$. I use to wear it constantly, but I have now learned that if I’m lounging around the house, I don’t need to wear it. This makes each bottle last about 6 months. I use what you can find in the drug store for all my other makeup and try to only purchase fun eye liners or eye shadows when I find a good deal.

5 Rachel September 11, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Thanks! :)

And I treat my pricey foundation the same way…I use drugstore tinted moisturizer or use free samples for lounging around the house (thanks, Birchbox!). Gotta ration the good stuff!

6 kehinde September 12, 2012 at 8:27 am

had to give you a shout out for the way harsh tai comeback.
now, i want to watch clueless. thanks rachel!
btw – i think what you’re doing here is great.

7 Hope September 12, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Whoa, twinsies! When I was in exactly 8th grade I went and bought a few pieces of Smashbox makeup. When I got back from the mall my (catty) best friend asked me how much I had spent. I said $40 or $50 and she said, and I quote, I will always remember this, “you look good, but not $40 good.”

8 Carol September 16, 2012 at 12:51 am

Man that person complaining about the freelance linking is mean! I dont follow either facebook or twitter and I love that you link freelance articles because it directs me towards other sites that also have interesting content.
This make up stuff is spot on. I have these rules about clothes shopping but I never really considered it for make up. I wear make up every day but I’m not that in to it…sometimes I’d love it a professional make up artist came along and said ‘here just wear all this stuff, like this , and you’ll look great” …it would save me the hassle of finding it out myself!